Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Masters Worlds 2018

Old 10-07-18, 08:24 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Masters Worlds 2018

Good luck to everyone racing!

(I arrive Tues night)
Old 10-07-18, 08:26 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Commentary: Men's 50-54 sprint 1/4 final, Koh's first sprint was bullllll****. He made a totally dangerous move into the sprint lane with his opponent already there.

BUT...going down was the rider's own fault: he panicked and easily could have stayed up. Interesting how 'the sprint was not engaged' makes all the difference. Koh got a warning, not a relegation. But it didn't matter because his opponent couldn't continue after the crash. (It was cool hearing the official's radio over the broadcast in the background.)
Old 10-07-18, 10:47 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Good luck in your events.

I saw that Kevin Metcalfe repeated his win in the scratch race.
Old 10-07-18, 01:32 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
For those that are not up to date results, live video, and other info can be found at https://mastersworldsla.com/
Old 10-07-18, 01:33 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Veloresults Live Timing

They also have live results on the landing page if events are underway (like the 35-39 men's pursuit is right now)
Old 10-08-18, 06:38 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
Commentary: Men's 50-54 sprint 1/4 final, Koh's first sprint was bullllll****. He made a totally dangerous move into the sprint lane with his opponent already there.
Nothing new there......he took someone down at Nationals in pretty much similar fashion.

I think he brings a bit too much of his professional Kirin attitude to the sprints....most Master's are neither prepared for that nor do we want it. I have no issue with good, clean, close racing without contact, but I also realize that it is just a sport and it's not fair to put the other person in that position. On another note, Chris Murray won the 50-54 Gold for the third straight time in this age group, with Brian Abors nipping at his heals again with his third straight silver....

Last edited by Divebrian; 10-08-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 08:59 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Are the announcers on the youtube videos volunteers or paid? Even with the recent controversy at Jinglecross, has to be one of the flattest, most uninspiring, colourless sporting descriptions I have ever listened to. If I had never been to a track meet before I would think what a bore and want out at the earliest possibility. Is it that difficult to find someone with a little knowledge and passion?
Old 10-09-18, 05:21 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Saw a video of the sprint. He definitely came down on the guy. I can see how the officials declared that the sprint wasn't underway, as neither of the guys had committed to going full gas. He should've been ejected from the comp right off, not just relegated. I heard he caused two incidents like this, coming down on riders from above.
Old 10-09-18, 06:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
He did it at Masters Nationals too.
Old 10-09-18, 08:27 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pretty shocked Keiser didn't get relegated in his first 1/4 final sprint in the 35-39.

WOW...and his 2nd one. This guy's a psycho.

Last edited by southernfox; 10-09-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 08:30 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by m_sasso
Are the announcers on the youtube videos volunteers or paid? Even with the recent controversy at Jinglecross, has to be one of the flattest, most uninspiring, colourless sporting descriptions I have ever listened to. If I had never been to a track meet before I would think what a bore and want out at the earliest possibility. Is it that difficult to find someone with a little knowledge and passion?
This is normal. He's commentating over the loudspeaker, indoors, remember.
Old 10-09-18, 09:18 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
This is normal. He's commentating over the loudspeaker, indoors, remember.
And, he's a volunteer, and a VERY GOOD announcer.
Old 10-09-18, 09:39 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually at the Koh sprint and was standing in the infield right opposite. I have been relegated for far less than what he did. I also watched the video later and disagree with the comment that it was the riders fault. There was contact, and that was what caused Steve to fall. A warning was not enough. I also disagree with the Officials comment that the sprint was not engaged. Being there, there was no question they were going full gas. While I know officials are only human, this was a no-brainer. Full disclosure, I train with Steve.
Old 10-09-18, 10:24 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rensho3
I was actually at the Koh sprint and was standing in the infield right opposite. I have been relegated for far less than what he did. I also watched the video later and disagree with the comment that it was the riders fault. There was contact, and that was what caused Steve to fall. A warning was not enough. I also disagree with the Officials comment that the sprint was not engaged. Being there, there was no question they were going full gas. While I know officials are only human, this was a no-brainer. Full disclosure, I train with Steve.
The contact caused the rider to panic, and the panic caused the crash. He easily could have stayed up, is my point.
Old 10-09-18, 11:59 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The contact caused the rider to panic, and the panic caused the crash. He easily could have stayed up, is my point.

Had there been no contact, there would have been no panic........
Old 10-09-18, 01:55 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Doesn't matter. It's not a 'cause' of the crash if a better rider would have stayed up and not panicked. (Look how fast he unclipped) The contact contributed to the crash, but the rider was ultimately at fault for panicking.
Old 10-09-18, 03:17 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://mastersworlds2018.veloresults...313M50spfr.pdf

Something must have gone down for the relegation...
Old 10-09-18, 10:13 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Steve has admitted fault in the situation and admitted to causing the end result by his own actions.

Originally Posted by Divebrian
This is the problem, sprinting has become so "soft" these days that a little contact or even potential contact can cause such panic. If you're going to ride in close quarters to other riders either on the track or on the road, then becoming acquainted with contact and what to do in the situation should be learned. Our club does a drill with young riders where (on the grass infield for safety) they ride side by side and have to end up riding through a pair of cones that are only wide enough for one rider to get through. They are required to lean on each other and become comfortable with the feeling and learn how to stay upright.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't like contact. I'm only an M3, but I've got a family to support and bills to pay. Potentially screwing myself up for a jersey and some bragging rights is not on my agenda. I will rub shoulders with people if they want to bring it on, but I know my limits, and if you're riding dangerously vs aggressively I'm out and you can have your win. Aggressive riding is a great tool in this age where so many might freak out with a little contact.
Old 10-10-18, 09:18 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've done similar drills on the track, where two of us are riding slow-ish and trying to force the other rider up or down track (or just on the apron). We're leaning so hard on each other that if the other person stops, you almost fall over. There was tonnes of communication at first, though, and especially when one of us wanted to 'stop' the drill and stop leaning on the other person.

I also come from the pro crit world where I've been flat-out bodychecked in a corner by someone who lost their line...and I didn't even skip a pedal stroke

I think that 'rubbing is racing' even though we shouldn't intentionally cause contact. But if someone hits us...we should have the skills to stay upright.

Last edited by southernfox; 10-10-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-10-18, 12:29 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Pretty shocked Keiser didn't get relegated in his first 1/4 final sprint in the 35-39.

WOW...and his 2nd one. This guy's a psycho.
Saw this while skimming through the YouTube videos earlier -- both instances seemed crazy out of line. Opposing rider was visibly pissed off and I can see why.
Old 10-10-18, 04:30 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Saw this while skimming through the YouTube videos earlier -- both instances seemed crazy out of line. Opposing rider was visibly pissed off and I can see why.
Can you link these videos? Or tell how you searched them? Thanks
Old 10-10-18, 04:55 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Can you link these videos? Or tell how you searched them? Thanks
I've been watching on VSC's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/VeloSportsCenter

I just skim through the full videos once they're uploaded to get past the TTs.
Old 10-10-18, 06:18 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Cool, thanks! Didn't know they had a channel, subscribing...
Old 10-10-18, 06:26 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seau grateau
It's also CLEARLY intentional. ...psycho
Old 10-10-18, 07:36 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
heh, that was fabian keiser. somebody told me that he was the guy who was responsible for this:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.