Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

29er rim?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 02:06 PM
Gorillalove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29er rim?

Anybody run wider 29er rims on their bikes? Pros? Cons?
Old 04-13-19, 02:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
29'er rims come in all sorts of different widths. All are the same as 700c with a 622 bead seat diameter.

I'm running 622-41 on my Schwinn Varsity right now. It works great as a gravel bike. The geometry is very similar to it's modern gravel grinder/CX equivalent. I don't think it is as fast on the street but over/under inflation has a lot to do with it. So does the knobbie tread...Then there is the more rotating mass thing too.

The bike is noticably taller than when I had slick 32's on it. And very noticably taller than with standard road 23's & 25's. I think I *may* move the 41's to my Scattante CX bike & see if they fit & if I like it. I may just get a 650b/27.5 (650b/27.5 are the same as well) wheelset instead. I haven't decided.

Taller tires will increase the trail a bit, but probably negligably so depending on what you have & what you are switching to. So not really pro or con, just different.

You can't just swap in any width you want, all rims have a recommended range. Of course it's best to stay in the recommendation, but the further you deviate the greater the risk of emergent properties. Usually though you can fudge things a bit.

Since this is the SS/FG subforum, I should probably mention different width tires will fudge the gear inches of your drivetrain a bit on account of the wheel circumference too. With wider tires you will travel "nth" bit farther for each turn of the pedals, & hills will be "nth" bit harder. Whether that is pro or con is up to you.

Are you thinking of new tires or repurposing an old bike? If you can be more specific many people are here and usually more than willing to help.

Aaron

Last edited by base2; 04-13-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 05:09 PM
Gorillalove

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Wanted use my 28 Gatorskins. Saw some videos about road bikes now using wider tires and that wider rims help get more out of the wider tires.
Old 04-17-19, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
28s are pretty narrow all things considered and a 29er rim would probably be too wide for a narrow tire. I would go with say something along the lines of a HED Belgium or H+Son in terms of rim width (I am running 28s on archetypes on my road bike and they are perfectly sized) now if you have clearance go wider tire wise but make sure it will fit on the rim safely. Too narrow and the tire will do the lightbulb thing but too wide and the bead won't seat and you will likely blow off the tire or blow out the tube.

Also one must make sure the rim and tire will clear the frame and any components you might be running (like rim brakes)
Old 05-18-20, 08:18 PM
cacher

Bikes: Specialized roll

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Spoke Rims

Ive noticed a few 29ers riding around with solid bmx type five spoke rims. Ive looked around online, and only found smaller sizes. Does anybody k ow where I can find some (29) to use on my mtb? Thanks.
Old 05-18-20, 08:47 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cacher
Ive noticed a few 29ers riding around with solid bmx type five spoke rims. Ive looked around online, and only found smaller sizes. Does anybody k ow where I can find some (29) to use on my mtb? Thanks.
Brand: R4
4.5 out of 5 stars 2Reviews

R4 29" BMX Cruiser Mag Rims Complete Sealed Wheel Set, Gloss Black

https://www.amazon.com/R4-Single-Com.../dp/B07BN4XP74

Old 05-19-20, 12:50 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I briefly ran something like that with a bolt-on cog. I think jarring is the word to best describe it. Absolutely harsh riding. The one I had was pretty heavy too.