Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Might have found the bike of my dreams......but it's got a carbon fork!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Might have found the bike of my dreams......but it's got a carbon fork!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 05:39 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
We have carbon forks on all of our bikes (gravel and road) and they’ve held up without any issues. I wouldn’t worry so much about that to be honest. Get the Ribble, seems like a decently spec’ed bike.
Old 05-09-19, 05:59 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Carbon forks are handmade and can have inherent faults that takes time to manifest plus they are brittle and you can damage them with an impact that on face value looks ok but internally a crack is appearing. Worth checking out Luescher Technik on youtube he is a carbon fan and expert but shows the issues with carbon frame and forks.

The reality is the carbon forks will probably be fine but steel can be seen if there is a fault, can be felt that a fault in imminent are of course is robust and can be abused for decades and still be fit for purpose. Given your concerns I would probably replace the fork for steel but why not just try the carbon for a while and see what you think. I wouldn't have a carbon fork on a touring bike but for it sounds like the bike is for more general use.

According to Luescher Technik it is carbon forks that are more likely to fail and cause injury than carbon frames but the sort of forks he mainly see's are exceptional low weight performance carbon forks which are a little more prone to failure. It's amazing how many frames and forks that look fine are actually faulty when he scans them. He also cuts up unrepairable frames and forks up to see the construction and some of it is so rubbish in construction and we are talking seriously expensive carbon too.

I'm overweight so don't even consider carbon myself because I like to have some clue about imminent failure of my frames and forks. I don't want to be going down a steep hill at 35mph when my carbon fibre forks decide to go on their own separate journey away from the rest of the bike. I'm not the sort of weight that will land well at high speed. Being overweight bicycle weight is of only vague concern but admittedly the increased comfort of carbon fibre does appeal.
Old 05-09-19, 06:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
buy the bike. ride the bike. if later you want to change the fork or anything else do it
Old 05-09-19, 06:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Good grief. At this point, cf is hardly "new tech."

A cf fork is an upgrade.

But if you're a nervous nellie, by all means, buy an inferior bike.
Old 05-09-19, 06:32 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
A few years back, I built up a bikepacking/gravel bike on a Lynsky titanium frame. Wanting to keep weight down, I picked up a cheap no name Chinese carbon form with 15-100 through axles. The fork was indestructible. It had a lot of flex on gravel and wasn't too bad. Then I got on some chunky jeep trails with a lot of larger embedded rocks and ruts. The damned thing shook me to death.
I then built up a different frame with a Lauf fork and that became my go to bike for bikepacking or all day gravel riding.
A carbon fork will be fine. My Giant TCR is all carbon and is a great ride.
Old 05-09-19, 06:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
i heard crabon forks assplode when you drope the hamer and dial it up to 400w?
fify

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-19, 06:41 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I will never own a carbon fork for the simple reason that I do not like their failure mode. I've had one fork fail in similar fashion. Once is plenty in one lifetime. But the good new is - any framebuilder can make you a steel fork. With a conservative crown and not superlight blades. a fork with a sweet ride can be made as a retrofit to any bike, will be a very pleasing ride and last a very long time. Plus, any significant damage that happens to it will be very visible.

My two ti bikes each have steel forks. After almost 30,00 miles, I still love their rides. Likewise my old steel frame with almost twice the mileage.

The other part of having a custom fork made - it's fun! The choices - more clearance for tires? Adjust the rake to get the bike to feel a little different. Stiffer? More forgiving on rough roads? Brake choices. The fork crown - biggest style point on the bike. The color? Chrome? Braze-ons - LowRiders, custom racks, lights, water bottles or flasks and so on. Sharp curve down low? High, gentle bend? straight? Tangs on the insides of the blades?

Yes, steel forks have more vibration. Steel is a near perfect elastic material. But done right, that vibration is simply not an issue. Steel forked bicycles have been riding the roads of the day in style and comfort for 130 years. And those early roads were far worse that anything we would call pavement now. (Steel and titanium bike frames also don't dampen vibration at all. Yet many are considered very good bikes for rough roads.)

Ben
Great points! Especially the part about how fun it would be ordering a custom, just for you fork. Plus, the OP can offset some of the cost by selling the new CF fork to someone who discovered a tiny nick/scratch/hair line crack on their CF fork after it got bumped in the garage.
Old 05-09-19, 06:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

A cf fork is an upgrade.

This is a good summary.
Old 05-09-19, 06:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
... I want it to last , looking for a bike for life here ...disc brakes and a 1 x drive train ....big tyres were a consideration.
...Are there any other steel frame and fork options that would suit my needs...Is carbon all that bad if the bike is treated well?

The 1x Apex version? It appears to check all of your boxes. Carbon fork? Eh, it's likely to last as long as you own the bike. Very likely. And it has the clearance you'll need for wider tires.

As long as they engineered the fork for the forces imparted by disc braking, you'll be fine. I've read of Chinese forks that appeared to lack the engineering design, so when they came out in disc compatible models, they snapped under braking forces. There are reviews and photos on the web. Not to imply that this is the case here, at all.

I have carbon forks of similar quality level on two of my bikes, my daily commuter (disc) and a steel race bike (rim brakes). I never concern myself with their integrity. Of course, I do inspect them whenever I have the bike on the rack for service.

Good luck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ribble 725 CGR for your use.
Old 05-09-19, 07:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not think twice about carbon from a safety perspective. I think there is a lot of misconceptions out there these days about CF.

And if it is really a problem, just swap it for a steel fork.
Old 05-09-19, 07:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that you worry too much.

Bikes equipped with carbon fiber forks have been common for over 20 years. Everything has a failure rate so I suppose there have been some carbon fork failures during that time just as I'm also sure that some steel forks have failed. If, however, there had been a rash of failures with either material during that period of time, I'm sure I would have heard about it.

There are a lot of bad things that might happen. Most of them won't.
Old 05-09-19, 07:15 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Old 05-09-19, 07:55 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
I would stay away from carbon fiber. I once had a bike with just a carbon fiber bottle cage. First ride out, the whole bike took off under me, ran an old lady over crossing the street and then into a bus full of school children which then exploded.

I can only imagine what would have happened had I had more carbon fiber. Never again.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 05-09-19, 07:57 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Personally, I would avoid all crabon, unless you want your bike to asplode. Iron bicycles exclusively for me.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 05-09-19, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by PepeM
Iron bicycles exclusively for me.
So what you are saying is that you are an ironman.
Old 05-09-19, 08:01 AM
PepeM

Now that you mention it, yes, that is what I am saying.
Old 05-09-19, 08:13 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon

There is one issue , the Ribble CGR has a carbon fork .I'm not sure if carbon is for me. I have heard it breaks easily e.g if the bike falls over and that carbon doesn't stand the test of time .

I'd happily take the weight penalty of a steel fork for it's durability .
My Lemond Tourmalet is aluminum with a carbon fork and carbon seatpost. It handled day to day city abuse well for the five years it was my main ride - including all kinds of rough surfaces, several minor crashes, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Also, look up the Lemond Spine bikes which were a carbon/steel hybrid road frame. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ine-bikes.html

Last edited by bcpriess; 05-09-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 08:44 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Personally, I would avoid all crabon, unless you want your bike to asplode. Iron bicycles exclusively for me.
Safety First!

I'd like to see someone try to asplode an iron bike:

Old 05-09-19, 08:49 AM
PepeM

Hot.
Old 05-09-19, 09:53 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Carbon, smarbon, no big deal. I bought a Specialized Allez in 2002, aluminum frame and fork. The fork beat up my arms, so I changed it to an Easton carbon fork. Transformed the ride. Besides the Allez, I have two other carbon bikes now, 2007 Roubaix, and a 2013 Culprit with carbon frame, fork, seat post, wheels, bars, even water bottle holders, both road bikes. I have thousands of miles on them, yes, a couple of crashes. I got beat up, but the carbon lived to ride again. Beware the carbon whiners on here. I love my old school steel, but carbon can be every bit as loveable as steel, and its lighter, too. 😉 No worries.
Old 05-09-19, 10:27 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Regarding the durability of carbon fiber and it surviving the crashes (or not), I recommend to watch this video. It's in German, but I think you'll get the gist even if you don't understand a word. Skip forward to 18:00 to see the action.

Likes For subgrade:
Old 05-09-19, 10:38 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
How is this not a zombie thread?
Old 05-09-19, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Hot.
So what you are saying is that it's a hot iron.
Old 05-09-19, 11:43 AM
GailT

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
You should get the concrete fork. I hear it's very compliant.
Old 05-09-19, 11:49 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana

I'm overweight so don't even consider carbon myself because I like to have some clue about imminent failure of my frames and forks. I don't want to be going down a steep hill at 35mph when my carbon fibre forks decide to go on their own separate journey away from the rest of the bike. I'm not the sort of weight that will land well at high speed. Being overweight bicycle weight is of only vague concern but admittedly the increased comfort of carbon fibre does appeal.
How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking ? I am heavyish by cyclist standards at 220lbs / 100KG , this is partly why I'm a bit hesitant about the carbon fork .

Thanks for the replies my intention wasn't to open up the carbon v steel debate but it's interesting reading.

I suppose I could change it to a steel fork down the line , the only issue there is I don't think steel forks are available with tapered steerers , I could use a headset adapter but then a straight steerer fork looks kind of odd in a tapered head tube and I'm a sickler for smooth clean lines on a bike , also would I ever be able to match a new fork to the color of the frame ?

Both of my current bikes are steel , one a 1972 Peugeot converted into single speed and an early 80s koga miyata touring bike, so a carbon forked bike will be very new territory.

I'm just after discovering this bike , a ragley trig adventure bike , all steel , bit over budget but might be a contender

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/ragley-trig-adventure-bike-2019/rp-prod176557?gs=1&sku=sku672219&pgrid=55940684541&ptaid=pla-672782160450&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|s9QCXV3pa_dm|pcrid|294740729972|pkw||pmt||prd|672219IE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GKWKIFxxh CfuSrAEJZ-C2NnjgDfaCBedBhvf0ayWmlZBdIBcR-sy4MaAvFtEALw_wcB

Last edited by jambon; 05-09-19 at 11:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.