Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Assisting a down cyclist when first-responders are already on site?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Assisting a down cyclist when first-responders are already on site?

Old 04-22-19, 01:32 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you are not a witness, then the police won't necessarily want to talk to you, unless you are a "professional" with respect to first responders in some way. Doctor? Accident Analyst? Professional Accident Chaser?

I'd probably give them space if I didn't actually know the person.

If I actually knew the person, I'd offer to help facilitate collecting belongings. I'm not sure if the police would wish to keep the bicycle as "evidence", and for insurance to inspect. But, there may be other personal belongings you could track for a friend.

Pick up pieces left on the road? Lights?

Also, are the police trained to recognize items such as Fly6 and Fly12 devices? Other cameras or evidence? Strava and data trackers (which could be both good and bad for the cyclist, but important for any legal proceedings).
I always nod!
GM
Old 04-22-19, 02:06 PM
Trooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ev780
Huh? Advocate for what?

Looks like the people whom you pay for such services had things well in hand. Unless you have some information that they didn't or you knew the patient, mind your own business and stay out of their way.
This.
Old 04-22-19, 07:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
..."fork's bent" ...
perfect
Old 04-23-19, 06:37 AM
Pete712

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
visitor

If the police and ambulance are already there I'd leave it alone. The only thing I would check out is if the rider might be from out of town-like if they have panniers. My friend went down hundreds of miles from home and a good samaritan helped secure his belongs and bike for a couple of days. And helped him when he was getting back on the road.
Old 04-23-19, 07:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
It seems to me that this would be a case-by-case decision, and that any of us would be competent to make the call on the scene.
Old 04-23-19, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Regardless of EMTs or cops, obviously you should check to make sure that his Strava auto-paused properly.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-23-19, 10:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
this ^^^
Old 04-23-19, 10:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

@livedarklions wins the thread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-23-19, 11:05 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Regardless of EMTs or cops, obviously you should check to make sure that his Strava auto-paused properly.
LOL! THIS may be the one justification for interfering with the LEOs, First Responders, or other trained and authorized officials on the scene. After all, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-03-19, 06:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
At the risk of restarting this thread ... I want to add details/clarification about the story in the OP: The day of the wreck, I saw the recently retired fire chief (he lives on our block) was talking with an officer after the other emergency vehicles had left the scene. While walking the dogs, he and I were catching up and asked if he could share anything about the wreck. He let me know that there was a car involved and that the person on the bike claimed responsibility for the collision - the biker didn't slow for the stop sign. Circling back to the OP " ...bikes typically roll this intersection."

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 05-07-19 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-06-19, 09:50 PM
FlRon

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Let the experts do what they need to do. They do not need anyone’s assistance, and I’m pretty sure the rider doesn’t need an advocate at that particular time. If you just want to go over and say something encouraging, that’s nice of you, but the best best thing is simply to stay away and let the responders handle everything.
Old 05-07-19, 03:22 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would advocate, not abdicate. There are so many opportunities(multiple LE agencies) around here. Where a cyclist will get blamed for a driver's behavior.
Old 05-07-19, 03:30 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
I would advocate, not abdicate. There are so many opportunities(multiple LE agencies) around here. Where a cyclist will get blamed for a driver's behavior.
God knows every situation is improved by having people who didn't see the incident, don't know the victim or the perpetrator, aren't attorneys, doctors, LEOs, EMTs, firemen, or even traffic engineers wade in to clarify and advocate.

If you really want to help, get to know your elected officials. Get to know some of your local LEOs. Write letters to the editor. Support organizations that advocate for cycling. Set an example by being a productive and law abiding member of the community. But let the cops and first responders do their job without a bunch of internet experts wading in to muddy the waters.

BB

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-08-19, 01:54 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
God knows every situation is improved by having people who didn't see the incident, don't know the victim or the perpetrator, aren't attorneys, doctors, LEOs, EMTs, firemen, or even traffic engineers wade in to clarify and advocate.

If you really want to help, get to know your elected officials. Get to know some of your local LEOs. Write letters to the editor. Support organizations that advocate for cycling. Set an example by being a productive and law abiding member of the community. But let the cops and first responders do their job without a bunch of internet experts wading in to muddy the waters.

BB

BB
Elected officials are the easy part. But riding through multiple LE jurisdictions, at the same time. That is the problem. In my county. There is, the local barracks of the state police, six districts of the county police, and three city police departments.

So, That is a lot of police I would have to introduce myself to.

There is a major cycling association in the DC-Metro region.

I have done LTE before.
Old 05-08-19, 05:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Elected officials are the easy part. But riding through multiple LE jurisdictions, at the same time. That is the problem. In my county. There is, the local barracks of the state police, six districts of the county police, and three city police departments.

So, That is a lot of police I would have to introduce myself to.

There is a major cycling association in the DC-Metro region.

I have done LTE before.
If I am injured at the side of road and getting help from EMT, and you haven't witnessed the event, please keep your advocacy to yourself. At that moment, I have more immediate needs than you serving your version of the "cause".
Old 05-08-19, 11:28 AM
Maelochs

So I am assuming you can provide us withthe specifics (case numbers, police reports, newspaper articles, whatever) showing the multiple times this has happened in these many jurisdictions, all which evidence would prove that all the cops hate all the cyclists and help all the drivers?

And also, please list the cases where you, having not seen the accident, and not knowing any of the facts, successfully intervened to help the cyclist obtain the "proper" outcome, especially since, since you didn't know what happened, you would have no idea what the "proper" legal outcome would have been, and since you have no medical training surpassing that of the EMTs, you would have know way of effecting a "proper" medical outcome.

That If i am not mistaken, were the general thrusts of @livedarklions' and @bbbeans' posts.
Old 05-09-19, 01:12 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If I am injured at the side of road and getting help from EMT, and you haven't witnessed the event, please keep your advocacy to yourself. At that moment, I have more immediate needs than you serving your version of the "cause".
Why do you think, I would stop an EMT from doing their job? But if an EMT is not on-scene, I would certainly stop to help.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So I am assuming you can provide us withthe specifics (case numbers, police reports, newspaper articles, whatever) showing the multiple times this has happened in these many jurisdictions, all which evidence would prove that all the cops hate all the cyclists and help all the drivers?
It is overlapping police departments

In the DC-Metro region, along with the MPD(DC). There is the Maryland State Police, and the Virginia State Police. Then there are 16 county police departments/sheriffs office, in MD n' VA, within the Metro region. Within those counties in the DC-Metro region, there are 24 city police departments. That is forty-three police agency opportunities, with thousands of officers, to cite a cyclist in the region. For an accident that wasn't their fault. Regardless of what the traffic code says.
And also, please list the cases where you, having not seen the accident, and not knowing any of the facts, successfully intervened to help the cyclist obtain the "proper" outcome, especially since, since you didn't know what happened, you would have no idea what the "proper" legal outcome would have been, and since you have no medical training surpassing that of the EMTs, you would have know way of effecting a "proper" medical outcome.
I have not encountered any, yet. I have no organized medical training beyond. What would amount to an EMT. But I have been through a lot medically in my life, enough to know what to look for in order to help someone beyond profuse bleeding.
​​​​
Old 05-09-19, 02:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You're not clear on what you're advocating for. Did the injured party ask for your help? If you see an injustice you can speak up. If they're in immediate danger I would help.

Otherwise, I will and have rendered assistance when no one else is present. But my first duty is to call for help. Once the authorities arrive its their job to do the rest, and I move out of the way.
Old 05-09-19, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Why do you think, I would stop an EMT from doing their job? But if an EMT is not on-scene, I would certainly stop to help.
​​​​
Reread the op you're reacting to. You said you'd "advocate not abdicate" at a scene where you hadn't witnessed the event, emt and police were on the scene, and the cyclist appeared to be being taken care of.

If that's not what you meant to say, that's on you. If it's what you meant to say, if I am the injured cyclist, I wouldn't want you "advocating" for me under those circumstances.

No one is saying leave the guy unattended if there's no emt or police on the scene. Why would you think anyone would say that?
Old 05-09-19, 06:07 AM
Maelochs

That is forty-three police agency opportunities, with thousands of officers, to cite a cyclist in the region. For an accident that wasn't their fault. Regardless of what the traffic code says. ​​​​
Why would they cite the cyclist if it wasn't the cyclist's fault? And why would you think they would? And how would you know who was at fault anyway, if you didn't see the accident?

Have you read the thread, including and especially the original post?
Old 05-13-19, 10:54 PM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Reread the op you're reacting to. You said you'd "advocate not abdicate" at a scene where you hadn't witnessed the event, emt and police were on the scene, and the cyclist appeared to be being taken care of.

If that's not what you meant to say, that's on you. If it's what you meant to say, if I am the injured cyclist, I wouldn't want you "advocating" for me under those circumstances.

No one is saying leave the guy unattended if there's no emt or police on the scene. Why would you think anyone would say that?
If possible, I would try to find out. If there was an emergency contact I could call, for the cyclist. I would not try to interfere with what EMS/Police are doing.

Why would they cite the cyclist if it wasn't the cyclist's fault? And why would you think they would? And how would you know who was at fault anyway, if you didn't see the accident?
Have you read the thread, including and especially the original post?
Yes I have.
Old 05-14-19, 03:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If possible, I would try to find out. If there was an emergency contact I could call, for the cyclist. I would not try to interfere with what EMS/Police are doing.

Yes I have.
That's ridiculous. If the cyclist is in good enough shape to give you the number, he's going to be able to contact them himself. Now he's going to have to worry about the stranger trying to get phone numbers. Another person on the scene asking questions of an injured person is not going to be anything but "interfering" . Just butt the hell out, that's not helping anyone's needs but your own ego.
Old 05-15-19, 12:59 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's ridiculous. If the cyclist is in good enough shape to give you the number, he's going to be able to contact them himself. Now he's going to have to worry about the stranger trying to get phone numbers. Another person on the scene asking questions of an injured person is not going to be anything but "interfering" . Just butt the hell out, that's not helping anyone's needs but your own ego.
Really cute, NOT.

When I had a bike accident in 2010, in DC near the National Cathedral, sure the DC Fire Department got to the scene. Oddly enough, the U.S. Secret Service got there first. They asked me the very questions you would not want ANYONE asking you. The U.S. Secret Service DID NOT interfere with the procedures of the DC Fire Department. They did them a favor.

But I guess you are just going to think, I am 'full of hot air'. That what I described above, never happened.
Old 05-15-19, 01:14 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
They asked me the very questions you would not want ANYONE asking you..
What Questions would the secret service be asking that the fire Dept wouldn’t?
Old 05-15-19, 02:43 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
What Questions would the secret service be asking that the fire Dept wouldn’t?
The Secret Service asked me who they should contact, and I immediately showed them my Road ID velcrove bracelets. Which is how they knew who to call.

Besides, They got there before the fire department. Since they were across the street, and saw the accident happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.