Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 09:56 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Purdy! 52 or 54cm frame?
My only 52cm, and the main reason I'm thinking of putting regular road bars back on.
My other 3 Ironman are my preferred size 54cm.
Old 06-21-19, 10:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
My only 52cm, and the main reason I'm thinking of putting regular road bars back on.
My other 3 Ironman are my preferred size 54cm.
Black rims with polished brake tracks make any bike shine. Way better than just straight black. Got to have the balance.
Old 06-21-19, 01:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
PSA: 52cm Turbo and 54cm Equipe

Becoming available in CA.
Near mint.
Old 06-21-19, 01:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Those over the top paint jobs are chick magnets. Robbie can vouch for that.
SSShhhhhh!
Old 06-21-19, 01:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Sweet. Same fork going on my Turbo TT/Funny bike, but in 650c.

Originally Posted by fleslider
Some more images of the crown of the Zunow Prestige fork

Old 06-21-19, 02:42 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I think that the IM is a thing. It is not a version of some previous model. My 84 Turbo is more like a Schwinn Peloton with its chrome, wrap around seat stays, Suntour Superbe components and geometry (although I have yet to measure a Peloton). And I also think both the Peloton and the Turbo were built by Panasonic. Here is mine today after the last ride on the Superbe/Araya Aero Tubulars before new bearings go in. I also have the original wheel set with the bronze hubs. 60cm with a 57 ctc TT. Wheelbase is 99-99.5.
Old 06-23-19, 05:43 PM
texaspandj

Still looking for modern clincher training wheels for this sucker.
Today I was supposed ride 40 miles on my hilly route. But due to wind gust I shortened it to 30. It wasn't the wind in itself but rather the fear of being blown in to oncoming traffic on one of the three downhill segments at 40 mph.
Which reminded me about something that happened a couple of days ago. I had my '88 Carbon Ironman with deep section race wheels on the repair stand. I had a shop fan pointing directly in front of the bike, and noticed the fork was oscillating. These are the wheels I plan on racing this season. But it made me think if it's windy maybe I shouldn't. So I put a regular wheel on the Carbon and it didn't oscillate. Maybe that's normal but it gave me something to think about.
I've ridden a deep section front wheel only once (1/2 Ironman )and it was a little tricky in cross winds. I normally race on a rear disk wheel and a radial laced 16 spoke front wheel (roval sewup), and never had a problem with crosswinds. Go figure. That is all.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-24-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-23-19, 08:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
​​​​​​​Today I was supposed ride 40 miles on my hilly route. But due to wind gust I shortened it to 30. It wasn't the wind in itself but rather the fear of being blown in to oncoming traffic on one of the three downhill segments at 40 mph.
Which reminded me about something that happened a couple of days ago. I had my '88 Carbon Ironman with deep section race wheels on the repair stand. I had a shop fan pointing in that direction and noticed the fork was oscillating. These are the wheels I plan on racing this season. But it made me think if it's windy maybe I shouldn't. So I put a regular wheel on the Carbon and it didn't oscillate. Maybe that's normal but it gave me something to think about.
I've ridden a deep section front wheel only once (1/2 Ironman )and it was a little tricky in cross winds. I normally race on a rear disk wheel and a radial laced 16 spoke front wheel (roval sewup), and never had a problem with crosswinds. Go figure. That is all.
I wouldn't take chances on windy days with aero bikes/wheels. Check out this video clip of Chris Froome minutes before his recent crash. It wasn't as windy as a typical day in Texas this spring. But watch him wobbling around trying to put on a windbreaker, no-hands. And his teammate and coach are urging him to be careful.

This evening I took the Ironman out for a 10 mile test ride just to check some drivetrain and brake adjustments, before a t-storm rolled in. The storm front hit suddenly less than a mile from home. The temperature dropped 10 degrees with a single gust of wind. The remaining ride was mostly directly into a headwind, but I had to make one turn and was buffeted by a crosswind for a few moments. It wasn't too bad with a non-aero bike, but would be tricky with aero wheels and dangerous with discs.

Old 06-26-19, 05:01 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Wind is part of riding, for the most part. Here in So. Indiana, there is always wind, and unlike some areas, it changes. Often from the South, but in the last week, I've seen headwinds from both the west and the east. I can't imagine Texas would run short on wind; when I rode from Dallas to San Antonio, we had plenty.

The Trek Y-Foil with Bullet wheels is a rolling sail, cuts through a headwind fine, is a good push on the tailwind, but crosswinds are not as fun. Still, it's wind, and you ride. My body is a big sail, I'm sure, so the bike is not as big a deal.

So, like @canklecat, I went out into some wind. TWC predicted a 14% chance of rain. 7 miles in, at 5 pm, it got very dark, and I could see the curtain falling from the Northwest, but I kept pedaling, even when the rain began (I'm committed to 1000 miles in June to raise funds for children's cancer research). We've had nothing but rain in June, so when the gust blew me (and my carbon Ironman) into the ditch, I just got wet, and muddy. I found a porch and waited it out, rode home in the rain, once the wind let up.

So, @texaspandj, ride anyway, and make sure the headset on that Ironman Carbon is tight, or your oscillation will be worse. I've got my headset tightened down solid, and it still hints at oscillation at 3-5 mph. Go figure.
Old 06-26-19, 02:05 PM
texaspandj

Two and half weeks away from our hometown triathlon and I'm chomping at the bit. I feel good and strong. Of course last year I felt the same way but on race day I felt flat on the bike and didn't have a good race. But thanks to my Ironman, I was still able to place in my age group.

Last year I was at 186 lbs the whole season. This year I'm lighter (178 lbs) and only 3 lbs away from my race day weight loss goal. Last year I didn't do any training runs, this year I'm able to run with a knee elastic supporter and most runs I feel like I don't need it. Ultimately I want to be down to 165 lbs by my last triathlon of the season at the end of Oct. It's a half Ironman distance one. I'm already entered in that one.

Our local triathlon has 2 distances, a sprint and an Olympic distance. I've been keying on the Olympic one however I may be forced (by my wife) to do the sprint.

Today I run hill repeats before I head out on my bike ride using the Miami Vice. For some reason, no matter the weeks weather is, it's always hot and humid on Wednesdays. Leading to only do 20 to 22 miles on Wednesdays. The run hill repeats are a short quarter mile and takes about 3 min with moderate effort. I just started doing them beginning with 4 and adding 1 each week. Today will be 7 next week 8 then week of race no more. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do 12 before a 10k. The goal of the running hill repeats is to build strength Not speed. The strength gained is designed to handle the next phase of training for me SPEED. which usually means quarter mile repeats but I doubt my knee will appreciate/allow that.

I've decided this Sunday for my long ride I'll put the '89 wheels on my '88 Carbon Ironman. I really need to get used to it..."Time Don't wait for Nobody" as my Instructor was fond of saying.

Keep those freewheels spinning Irongents.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-26-19 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-26-19, 04:32 PM
seypat

Two and half weeks away from our hometown triathlon and I'm chomping at the bit. I feel good and strong. Of course last year I felt the same way but on race day I felt flat on the bike and didn't have a good race. But thanks to my Ironman, I was still able to place in my age group.

Last year I was at 186 lbs the whole season. This year I'm lighter (178 lbs) and only 3 lbs away from my race day weight loss goal. Last year I didn't do any training runs, this year I'm able to run with a knee elastic supporter and most runs I feel like I don't need it. Ultimately I want to be down to 165 lbs by my last triathlon of the season at the end of Oct. It's a half Ironman distance one. I'm already entered in that one.

Our local triathlon has 2 distances, a sprint and an Olympic distance. I've been keying on the Olympic one however I may be forced (by my wife) to do the sprint.

Today I run hill repeats before I head out on my bike ride using the Miami Vice. For some reason, no matter the weeks weather is, it's always hot and humid on Wednesdays. Leading to only do 20 to 22 miles on Wednesdays. The run hill repeats are a short quarter mile and takes about 3 min with moderate effort. I just started doing them beginning with 4 and adding 1 each week. Today will be 7 next week 8 then week of race no more. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do 12 before a 10k. The goal of the running hill repeats is to build strength Not speed. The strength gained is designed to handle the next phase of training for me SPEED. which usually means quarter mile repeats but I doubt my knee will appreciate/allow that.

I've decided this Sunday for my long ride I'll put the '89 wheels on my '88 Carbon Ironman. I really need to get used to it..."Time Don't wait for Nobody" as my Instructor was fond of saying.

Keep those freewheels spinning Irongents.
Good for you that the body is healed. The most important thing is getting to the starting line healthy. After that it's up to you.

This week is week 4 of 23 or 24 of Marathon Training Team for the fall marathon. Hill repeats start tomorrow. I will attempt to do the one time only double (for novice/casual runners) this year as the locals call it. The Richmond Marathon is mid November. The double is to do a marathon in September, October or November and do the Richmond also. The one I will do before Richmond is the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. My daughter's HS band actually performs on the course during the event. My wife will run the 10K then help with the band. I will see them at mile 17. Got to get out myself now and take a run.
Old 06-26-19, 05:36 PM
texaspandj

Good for you that the body is healed. The most important thing is getting to the starting line healthy. After that it's up to you.

This week is week 4 of 23 or 24 of Marathon Training Team for the fall marathon. Hill repeats start tomorrow. I will attempt to do the one time only double (for novice/casual runners) this year as the locals call it. The Richmond Marathon is mid November. The double is to do a marathon in September, October or November and do the Richmond also. The one I will do before Richmond is the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. My daughter's HS band actually performs on the course during the event. My wife will run the 10K then help with the band. I will see them at mile 17. Got to get out myself now and take a run.
So how long are hill repeats for the marathon?
I'll do half mile hill run repeats in September in preparation for the half Ironman triathlon at the end of October.
And on same course half mile Ironman bike repeats starting in August.
Old 06-26-19, 05:59 PM
seypat

So how long are hill repeats for the marathon?
I'll do half mile hill run repeats in September in preparation for the half Ironman triathlon at the end of October.
And on same course half mile Ironman bike repeats starting in August.
Richmond Marathon is on 11/16/19. Hill repeats start on Thursday this week. Once a week for 8 weeks. 2 week break then speed workouts for 8 weeks on the same day.
Old 06-26-19, 06:10 PM
seypat

Speaking of hills, if you watched the 2015 Cycling World Championships you might remember the 2 cobblestone hills on the course. We have to run those during training. We actually run most of the cycling course. After going up 23rd street, it takes about 2 miles before the heart rate, etc. is back down to normal. During the training, the routes are set up where you run every part of the marathon course at some point.
Old 06-26-19, 07:05 PM
seypat

Back to cycling. So I mentioned running up those sections of the WC road course. The WC racing coverage could not really convey how difficult those 2 sections were. 23rd St. is like the starting part of a roller coaster where the cars are being pulled to the top by a chain. Supposedly, Sagan ground up 23rd on his big ring the last lap because he was afraid of dropping his chain. That section after the top of Libby Hill back down to Main is tight, downhill and dangerous. Hard enough as a single rider. In a big group packed together like sardines, white knuckle ride. Watching them up close, even the Juniors was incredible.
Old 06-27-19, 06:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Good to hear you fellas are doing some hill repeats. I never did much of those, but I do remember Lee's Revenge on the Richmond Marathon course. It kind of ticked me off, so I moved from about 8th to 4th, I think, on that hill. Not many hills on the USMC Marathon course, other than the last little heartbreaker up to the monument from the Pentagon. Richmond in October was a great warm-up for the USMC 26.2, tougher course, but not as much energy expended to get to the starting line (NY is the worst for that).

The Richmond Roadrunners took me up 23rd the Friday before the marathon, as we spent quite a bit of time (and money) in "the Slip" the night before, and needed to really get it out of our system. Pat, you know what I mean.

The cyclists there took us up that same hill during NAHBS. Us out-of-towners realized early that the Richmond guys were not wearing clip pedals (which we all had), and at the top of 23rd, I fell over onto a friend named Gene (@armani76). Then we got to the other cobblestone part, I think it was a path, and yep, I fell over at the top, again. Thanks for the memories, you bastid.

And by the way, the 56cm: Carbon-R (F/F/HS) , NotYourDaddy's Ironman (F/Look carbon F/HS) , and Turbo (F/F/HS) are all going on the block.
Non-Centurion also leaving: 56cm '90 Paramount (F/F/HS)
You heard it here first. PM's only.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-27-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 07:41 AM
seypat

I spent a lot of time in the Slip and the Bottoms back in the day.(back in the night, really) Good times. That area really hasn't changed that much overall. BTW Robbie, with papers in decline everywhere, no telling if the Richmond Times Dispatch will close its doors some time in the future. I'm going to go to their offices and see if I can find that letter of yours on display. If I can, I will get a copy and send it to you. I think the Richmond Marathon is now run in reverse direction from when you ran it.

Speaking of cycling and running, I have this idea. I have this strange feeling that Robbie and I could be in the best shape of our last 15-20 years this time next year. I know Tex is into multisport. I'm not so sure Robbie has it completely out of his system. So, Richmond has a RAGNAR Run/Bike relay. At night, on the VA Capital Trail and other connecting trails. Totally closed course. Maybe my company could sponsor a team. Pay the entry fee and spring for some matching jerseys. I have a van for the support vehicle. I would need 2 or 3 others to have a team. Maybe my wife would be the 4th, or we can find another member from this thread to join us. I have lots of reward points. Maybe we can find some cheap flights. I can provide lodging. Any chance that you 2 would be remotely interested in giving it a try? If so, let me know. I can get more details. It's a great course. Pedal to the metal all the way.

https://www.sportsbackers.org/events...sented-ragnar/

Last edited by seypat; 06-27-19 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 12:51 PM
texaspandj

Interesting, and I'm interested.
Old 06-27-19, 02:50 PM
seypat

Interesting, and I'm interested.
I'll talk to my wife tonight and see if she is interested.
Old 06-27-19, 05:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Sure, interested. See if your wife is interested. Yeah. This is going downhill fast.
Old 06-27-19, 05:28 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Y'all need a support vehicle driver let me know, I'll drive up and do what ever you need. Someone has to be the designated driver

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-27-19, 05:52 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sure, interested. See if your wife is interested. Yeah. This is going downhill fast.
Well he asked if we were "remotely interested"? Since I didn't know what remotely means, I answered interested....I think I chose correctly.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-27-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 06:05 PM
seypat

The wife says she is interested. Bill, thanks for the offer. Are you a runner also in case someone else can't do it? Let me get next year's date and some more details and see if we can make it happen. Maybe some kind of Sunday ride also for those close enough to make it. Alright then.

Patrick
Old 06-28-19, 08:02 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The wife says she is interested. Bill, thanks for the offer. Are you a runner also in case someone else can't do it? Let me get next year's date and some more details and see if we can make it happen. Maybe some kind of Sunday ride also for those close enough to make it. Alright then.

Patrick
Used to be a runner, but the knees and shins didn't hold up so cycling was my fall back. Actually, the cycling came first, then XC in high school got me running. I did a single marathon, the first Blue Angel Marathon, Pensacola, FL, 1983. Thanks for the idea, but helping out and lending moral support is about my limit. Parkinson's Disease can make you walk and run kind of funny, too

I just was offering to try and help out Robbie, Marines got to stick together, and helping out other C&V folks is a bonus for me!

Just shout out if you ever need a support person for one of the marathons, I will try to make it happen.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-28-19, 08:21 AM
seypat

I called and they do not have the exact date for next year yet. I will be one of the weekends around this time. I will link the results from this year's event so you can see how much time it will take. 4 person team each member does 3 segments. Other than the time involved and going at night, easily doable. I think we could take a nap after then head out in the afternoon for a ride also. We could ride around RVA seeing the sights and hitting some breweries. We could get up on Sunday morning and ride the VA Capital trail that the event was on. The RVA airport is located close to the Capital Trail. We could finish the ride, find a place for travelers to shower and take you to the airport. We could make it a mini C&V weekend for all that wanted to come. It could end up being a pretty good time.We have Doc and Hugh and Bill. I'm guessing there are others out there that might be interested.

After looking at this year's results, the hardest part of the Relay event might be coming up with a better name than some of the teams listed. There are some good team names on the list.

https://www.sportsbackers.org/wp-con...ay-results.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.