Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tube repair patch.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tube repair patch.

Old 07-08-19, 12:19 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Tube repair patch.

I ran out of tube repair patches so went to local W Mart, all they had were Scabs! Didn’t want but Sunday local bike shop closed!
Had a flat today, used a Scab to fix and on my way, less than a mile later, tire is flat again! Removed tube, checked the new Scab and there’s the leak! Put in my spare tube and got home fine. Going to bike shop for old fashioned repair kit and Scabs go in the trash! Sometimes the old way is the best!
Likes For a77impala:
Old 07-08-19, 02:37 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Did you roughen up the tube surface to remove the mould release compound prior to putting on the Scab? I never use pre-glued patches (e.g. Scabs) and I agree that vulcanizing patches and rubber cement are the only way to permanently repair a tube, but no matter what type of patch you use, it won't work unless the mould release compound is scuffed off with sandpaper first.
Old 07-08-19, 04:05 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
I've had bad luck with Scabs, and on the other hand, I've had good luck with Park Super Patches.

I carry the Park patches in my tool pouch, just in case I get more flats during a ride than one spare tube can cover.
Old 07-22-19, 10:44 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Scabs let me down again! Had a flat so put tube in I had repaired at home with Scab patch. Pumped up with my Road Pro and took off, flat within a quarter mile. Took tire apart, patched tube that was in tire reassembled and rode off, flat within quarter mile. Took tire off, patch leaked, peeled off patch, put on new one, took off, flat within half mile!
Called wife to pick me up, had enough for one day!
Will never use Scabs again!!!
Old 07-22-19, 10:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
Life's too short not to use Rema patches. There are other good ones. (I suspect some of the good non-Remas are made by Rema and re-branded.) Vulcanizing technology is very old and far from a trade secret so anyone can make a patchkit as good as Rema. But until you try them, you do not know.

As for non-glue patches - I wouldn't know. Never used them. Putting on a get-home-only patch seems to me a waste of time.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-22-19, 12:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
Scabs let me down again! Had a flat so put tube in I had repaired at home with Scab patch. Pumped up with my Road Pro and took off, flat within a quarter mile. Took tire apart, patched tube that was in tire reassembled and rode off, flat within quarter mile. Took tire off, patch leaked, peeled off patch, put on new one, took off, flat within half mile!
Without knowing anything else, I suspect you're not sanding off the mold release compound on the surface of the tube. That stuff is formulated so nothing will stick to the tube's surface during manufacture. If you try to patch the tube later with it still on the surface, guess what? Nothing will still stick to the surface!
Old 07-22-19, 02:46 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
My experience has been good with scabs.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-22-19, 02:59 PM
a77impala
a77impala

The kit does not include sandpaper but a metal rasp type tool to roughen the tube. I don’t see how this tool would be capable of removing any or all of the release agent! The first time I used the kit I used a piece of sandpaper like roughener the next time I used the tool provided with the kit! Neither worked!
In any case I’ll go back to tried and true style kit!
Old 07-22-19, 03:21 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,482 Times in 2,999 Posts
I carry scabs as a last resort then I pull it off and use the old fashion glue. I ride with two spare tubes.
Old 07-22-19, 03:55 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Try hardware stores for old-school tube repair kits
Old 07-22-19, 04:15 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, did you apply consistent pressure on the patch for 30 seconds after applying it? This is very important!

I consider glueless patches to be a temporary fix to get me out of a jam out on the road. For a permanent repair go with REMA patches in the Gumby green box.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 07-22-19, 04:30 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
OP, did you apply consistent pressure on the patch for 30 seconds after applying it? This is very important!

I consider glueless patches to be a temporary fix to get me out of a jam out on the road. For a permanent repair go with REMA patches in the Gumby green box.
But why even bother with "glueless" patches? A vulcanizing patch (e.g. Rema) will take just a couple of minutes longer than a glueless patch to install (i.e. the time to smear on the cement and wait for it to dry). You're already investing several minutes in demounting the tire, pulling the tube, reinstalling, checking for pinches, and pumping it back up again. Why not add a minute to have a permanent repair rather than an unreliable one that will require redoing when you get home. There's simply no up side to using "glueless".
Likes For davester:
Old 07-22-19, 04:55 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
What works, or makes sense, to one person does not correlate to another. Do it the way that works for you and let another do it the way that works for them. Why even "bother" patching a tube on the side of the road. Just throw a new tube in, pump it up and be on your way. Does it "make sense" to have to search for the leak, there just may be more than one. There is simply no "upside" to patching a tube on the road when you can save a few minutes with a new tube and do the patch at home. ????
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-23-19, 01:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,789 Times in 1,794 Posts
I've had no problems with Lezyne self-sticking patches. The kit is excellent for a minimalist seat bag -- it's a flat envelope, about half the size of a credit card, with several self-stick patches, a metal roughener, and instructions on a sheet of plastic that doubles as a tire boot. Used 'em several times on my hybrids and road bikes, no problems that weren't due to operator error.

As other folks noted, it's essential to rough up the tube wherever the patch will make contact. The mold release agent needs to be scrubbed off. Takes a little more effort with the metal scrapers rather than sandpaper.

I still use regular patches and glue at home, but I don't carry 'em with me on rides. Just the self-sticking patches, spare tube(s), etc. Usually I'll try to patch first before swapping tubes, because I try to patch without completely removing the tube. Makes it a little quicker, unless it's a tricky flat.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-23-19, 09:10 AM
davester

Originally Posted by delbiker1
What works, or makes sense, to one person does not correlate to another. Do it the way that works for you and let another do it the way that works for them. Why even "bother" patching a tube on the side of the road. Just throw a new tube in, pump it up and be on your way. Does it "make sense" to have to search for the leak, there just may be more than one. There is simply no "upside" to patching a tube on the road when you can save a few minutes with a new tube and do the patch at home. ????
For myself and most others I ride with, the patch kit is there for occasions where you get multiple flats on one ride and don't have any spare tubes left.When you put in long distances this is a not uncommon occurrence. So yes, there is a significant upside.

Also, as noted by @canklecat, if the flat location is obvious it's often quicker to just pull a small section of tube out and patch it instead of going through the rigamarole of pulling the entire tube out and replacing.

Last edited by davester; 07-23-19 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-23-19, 09:48 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

I also always have a spare tube and a patch kit with me. I also have glueless patches with me. My previous post is just to state that not all people think the same way, and how one person does something, does not make it the right way, or the only way that makes sense. If someone wants to make a statement on how they do something, like take care of a flat tire, or their opinion on the best way to proceed with a problem, fine and please, make your idea and opinion known. But try to do so in a way that does not make the statement that your way is the right way and any other way is senseless. I have used, and will continue to use glueless patches when I determine it is the best way for me to proceed. So yes, it makes sense and there is a significant upside, for me, to use glueless. Right back to you do it the way that works for you, and I will do it the way that works for me. Thanks for your response, enjoy the ride and be safe.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-23-19, 10:50 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
I buy Rema patches and glue in bulk from Amazon. They have the small diameter patches, which work for 99% of punctures. I have 80 grit wet-or-dry paper for sanding, carry an old regular patch box for that stuff, and always have 2 tubes and a spare tire. Quickest patch job is to put on a new tube and tire and not even look for the damage on the road. Apologies to the OP, but I haven't had a patch failure in 25 years. I'm still on my first box of 100 Remas. I have a six patch limit on my tubes. I used to do bulk patch sessions at home, but now I only do onesies.

I'm frankly astonished at how few flats I've had in the past ~5 years. Roads are no better, but tires sure are. I think it's in the compound. Still, I take the 2 tubes and the patch kit. I have a friend who once had 8 flats on one pass climb, all from different causes. He's a 4 tube rider. My record is 4, but that was before I started carrying the tire. 2 of those were from the same piece of wire, and that was maybe 15 years ago on tires of back then. It used to be that we never went on a group ride where no one flatted. Now I can't remember the last group flat. Mechanicals are now more common.
Old 07-23-19, 02:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

I have not had many flats for the past number of years. Last year, somewhere around 4000 miles, and only 1 flat. That was from glass that was shattered on the road and with the sun at my back, I did not see it. 2017, 6000 miles and 3 flats. At this point this year, around 3000 miles and zero flats. I have replaced the tires on all four bikes at some point in the past 4 months. The bike I have been riding the most has Panaracer Paselas that are just over 1500 miles and still looking good. My opinion is that tires have definitely gotten better.
Old 07-25-19, 06:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
I use the vulcanizing patch system. In my cycling class in college they taught us how to properly repair a tube in the seventies and these type patches were fairly new out. The only problem with the system is that you have to check your tube of glue regularly to make sure it is not dried up. I mentioned this to my LBS when I was buying new tubes of glue . The mechanic told me that when I finished with the repair to carefully fill the cap with glue before putting it back on the tube of cement, thus creating a "seal" . I haven't had a flat since I replaced all the glue in my seat packs so I have no idea if it works but I will try next time I am in that situation(flat tire). I also keep a spare tube with me. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 07-28-19, 10:31 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My Specialized Armadillos have meant that my spare tube in my seat bag is probably deteriorated. I should check it.
Old 07-29-19, 04:52 PM
DaleEArnold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've never had much luck repairing a tube..How many others like me just install a new one and throw the old one out??
Old 07-30-19, 06:29 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I use Park glueless patches. They work great with no mess. I have at least 3 years on one of my tubes that has the Park patch on. You just have to know how to use them properly.
Old 07-30-19, 08:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
I get at most 2-3 flats per year, and often none. Sometimes I carry a tube, but I'm willing to take my chances with 'just' a patch kit. At worst, patching takes a few minutes more than slapping a tube in. The extra time isn't going to make me lose a race.

After Park and Scabs failed for me, I no longer consider 'instant' patches sufficient even for emergencies. The small vulcanizing kits have never let me down, and give me a convenient place to carry a presta adapter and spare quick-link.
Old 08-01-19, 07:47 AM
Ruthless

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flats

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I get at most 2-3 flats per year, and often none. Sometimes I carry a tube, but I'm willing to take my chances with 'just' a patch kit. At worst, patching takes a few minutes more than slapping a tube in. The extra time isn't going to make me lose a race.

After Park and Scabs failed for me, I no longer consider 'instant' patches sufficient even for emergencies. The small vulcanizing kits have never let me down, and give me a convenient place to carry a presta adapter and spare quick-link.
I had plans for which type of bike to use for different type of areas around here. The bombtrack b1 has tubless and the fatty is tube, neither are close to human habitation no cell phone, no people, just a nice long ride. I have to put a plan together on how to fix both types of fixes. I'll take any suggestions.
Old 08-02-19, 11:34 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I don't worry about it. Here in the Philippines the three most common roadside businesses are an "eatery", "Sari-Sari store", and "Vulcanizing". You can't go a half mile on a road that gets any reasonable amount of traffic without passing some guy with a sheet of raw rubber and a hot press. You can't even find a cold patch kit in the local stores. They don't sell what nobody is buying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.