Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Folding Gravel Bike build

Old 05-14-19, 07:56 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Folding Gravel Bike build

I'm going to build up the above frame (a ChangeBike DF-833G 650B MTB frame) into a gravel bike and need some inputs on the setup selection.

Purpose wise, I'd want to use it for weekend rides with roadies and also as the touring bike where it will see use on trails/gravel.

Its going to be with the Shimano 105 groupset running a 50/34T chainring and XT 11-40T cassette expanded via a road link.
Shimano 105 R7000 Compact Chainset (11 Speed) 50-34T
Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed 11-40t Cassette

One big issue will be the brakes.
I'd like to use cable actuated ones for easier troubleshooting (esp in the field).
So the TRP Spyre (cable actuated, road pull ratio) seems to be an ideal choice.
I am very confused by the mounting.
The frame seems to be IS mount and the TRP are either in post mount or flat mount.

1. So I should be getting the post mount version and using Post > IS adapters?
2. Do the adapters need to be TRP branded or just the generic Shimano ones will do?
3. I don't see the brakes having front/rear options so does that mean the same brakes are for both front and rear?

Any other inputs are welcome, especially on whether running a road link to expand the gear range will be viable.

TIA
Old 05-14-19, 08:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I ran a 50/34 crankset with an 11-36 cassette and did not need a roadlink.

Now I'm running 46/30 with an 11/42 cassette and don't need a roadlink either.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-15-19, 04:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
To answer your original questions.

1-yes
2-it doesn't have to be brand specific
3-the same caliper is used for front and rear

You didn't ask, but I agree that your chosen crankset will probably not work on that frame. The bottom bracket is 68mm, so that will work with the road cransket, but the crank arms probably wont clear the chainstays. The distance between the crankarms on most Shimano road doubles is 116mm. Measure the distance across the chainstays at 170-175mm back from the center of the bottom bracket. If it is more than 110mm, you don't have enough clearance to use that crankset.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-16-19, 01:21 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Why? That’s a 5.5 pound frame that’s going to be extremely stiff. It’s going to handle strange with skinnier tires and really strange if they’re slicks. As someone who’s done a few roadie rides on a drop bar mtb with slicks - you’ll need to be seriously strong to keep up unless it’s a very casual ride.

But that’s not really what you came here for I suppose. I did note that although the Change website is seriously lacking specs, I’m almost certain your chosen crankset isn’t going to work on that frame.
The plan is for 35-38mm tires for the road riding, changing out to 45mm or wider when I need them (like for touring/trails).
I do ok with roadie rides on my 20" foldie, so long as I am sneaky and draft most of the time.
So this larger wheeled bike should at least perform at least the same (thats the plan anyway ).
This is not my only bike and I do have a Tri-bike, but it'd be nice if this new bike serves double duty every now and then.

Ok. Noted on the crankset.
If thats the case, is there something out there that would clear the chainstays and be at least 46/30T?

Originally Posted by dsaul
To answer your original questions.

1-yes
2-it doesn't have to be brand specific
3-the same caliper is used for front and rear

You didn't ask, but I agree that your chosen crankset will probably not work on that frame. The bottom bracket is 68mm, so that will work with the road cransket, but the crank arms probably wont clear the chainstays. The distance between the crankarms on most Shimano road doubles is 116mm. Measure the distance across the chainstays at 170-175mm back from the center of the bottom bracket. If it is more than 110mm, you don't have enough clearance to use that crankset.
Thanks for the inputs.
I just ordered a pair of TRP Spyres.

If you know of a crankset that can clear the chainstay and takes 48/32T or 46/30T, do let me know. TIA
Old 05-16-19, 07:10 AM
dsaul

The White Industries G30 crankset will work with that frame and get you the gearing you want. Otherwise, I think you may be stuck with an MTB crankset. SRAM makes a few 2x MTB cranksets with 42/28 chainrings.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-19-19, 09:28 PM
pinholecam

Thanks for the replies.

Any idea if the Shimano GRX chainring with 46.9mm chain line will be worth waiting for to see if its a better fit?
The White Industries G30 has a chainline of 45mm, so it seems to suggest that the GRX will be a bit wider.

(Sorry, totally no knowledge on MTB stuff).
Old 05-19-19, 10:26 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Alternate suggestion, if you aren't in a hurry(and not super tall): Velo Orange is making a mini-velo. https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...e-is-live.html

I want one so I can just slide it in the back seat of my car, or the hatch of a small suv without having to take the wheels off.

But I'm not sure if the sizing will work for me.
Old 05-20-19, 04:46 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Thanks for the replies.

Any idea if the Shimano GRX chainring with 46.9mm chain line will be worth waiting for to see if its a better fit?
The White Industries G30 has a chainline of 45mm, so it seems to suggest that the GRX will be a bit wider.

(Sorry, totally no knowledge on MTB stuff).
Chainline doesn't effect the width of the crankarms. Look for Q-factor as an indicator of more width between the arms. I think the GRX only has about a 5mm wider Q factor than the road cranks, so just 2.5mm more clearance per side.

GRX has a Q-factor of 151mm and the G30 has a Q-factor of 171mm.
Old 05-20-19, 11:28 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Sullalto
Alternate suggestion, if you aren't in a hurry(and not super tall): Velo Orange is making a mini-velo. https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...e-is-live.html

I want one so I can just slide it in the back seat of my car, or the hatch of a small suv without having to take the wheels off.

I just saw that yesterday too.
I've already got 2 mini velos.
In fact I toured on a smaller 18" one for a few years.
The reason for looking at a 650b build is that I found during touring that it would almost always involve some trail riding to some degree and small wheels are harder to roll over rocks, roots, etc.
Old 06-05-19, 02:56 AM
pinholecam

Just a short update on the status.

The frame arrived and I brought it to the LBS for a try out with a used 105 50/34T crank. The chainring was near touching the chainstay, while there were no issues with the crank arms clearing.

So I have to go for a smaller chainring, but I did not want to go under 42T if I could, to get the high gears for road rides.
I came up with a SRAM Apex brifter and X9 rear/crank combination, but unfortunately, the SRAM distro here does not carry such "less common" items.
So back to the drawing board....

Next, I thought of just paying up and getting the Force 1x with the 42T crankset and 10-42T cassette.
Again, another disappointment from the local distro.
They just don't have such 'weird' combos since 'real users' only use Red...
I'd have to order now and get them in August.

The SRAM clampdown on online retailers frustrates me since the local distro is basically sitting on their laurels and unwilling to provide a good range of Sram products while finding them online and willing to ship to Singapore is so hard.

Ended up, not willing to let the distro earn my money for such poor support and found an online store I could buy from.
Got the Rival 1x instead which was my preferred budgetary choice anyway and saved me a fair bit over Force 1x.

I just hope everything fits when they arrive.
My preliminary measurements do indicate that the 42T chainring should just clear the chainstay into the recessed portion of the chainstay.
Old 07-10-19, 07:15 PM
pinholecam

Still some mis-steps and parts to play about with, but the bike is finally built up.
Thanks for all who gave their valuable inputs for the build.

Likes For pinholecam:
Old 07-10-19, 07:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Just read thru the thread again to see if it was ever mentioned...why a folding mtb/gravel frame?

Do you commute on a train/bus and the folding bike meets some restriction? Do you live in a 200sqft apt and need the few feet of space?

This is such a departure from the typical that it has to be asked...again.
Old 07-10-19, 08:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Neat. I'm also a big fan of 42T + 10-42 cassette.
Old 07-10-19, 08:59 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just read thru the thread again to see if it was ever mentioned...why a folding mtb/gravel frame?

Do you commute on a train/bus and the folding bike meets some restriction? Do you live in a 200sqft apt and need the few feet of space?

This is such a departure from the typical that it has to be asked...again.

I live in Singapore.
Yes, apartments are not too big here relative to what folks in the US or larger countries are used to.
So a smaller footprint for storage is always welcome.

The other thing is that this is a very small country, so any 'bigger' ride/tour will have to be overseas.
So the fold is mainly for less questions/problems for coach/train/plane rides.
Old 07-10-19, 09:03 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Neat. I'm also a big fan of 42T + 10-42 cassette.
Unfortunately, I ran into issues with a SRAM Rival crankset.
The spindle length is too short and hence the chainring hits the chainstay.
I had to purchase a Shimano XT crank (96bcd) with a 3rd party 38T.

Most cheaper 3rd party chainrings of 96bcd asymmetric fitting seem not to have a 42T, though 44T is common. (always says out of stock)
I have a 44T coming, and will see if it fits.
1st choice is the 42T though since I think its the better balance of fast/climbing gears for my needs.
Old 07-10-19, 09:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I realize it's late in the game now, but with a BSA30 bottom bracket, you're opened up to most any 30mm spindle crank, so it would increase your options quite a bit. I just switched to BSA30 to run a Rotor 3D30 crank on my Ritchey frame. The road cranks will fit into BBs up to 86mm wide, and the MTB cranks up to 92mm wide. So you could have ~10mm of spacers on the drive side.
Old 07-10-19, 10:38 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I realize it's late in the game now, but with a BSA30 bottom bracket, you're opened up to most any 30mm spindle crank, so it would increase your options quite a bit. I just switched to BSA30 to run a Rotor 3D30 crank on my Ritchey frame. The road cranks will fit into BBs up to 86mm wide, and the MTB cranks up to 92mm wide. So you could have ~10mm of spacers on the drive side.
More information on this is always welcome for me.
I got really confused with all the options out there when looking for the groupset.
Different BCD dimensions, direct mount, compatibility...
Old 11-04-19, 06:27 PM
pinholecam

Just an update with a photo of the folded bike.
Folding is rather fast and the size after that goes into a car trunk or into the car easily.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 11-08-19, 08:20 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto

ok

Last edited by dwmckee; 11-08-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 12:15 PM
biosync

Bikes: Brompton M9R, Change df702

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Just a short update on the status.

The frame arrived and I brought it to the LBS for a try out with a used 105 50/34T crank. The chainring was near touching the chainstay, while there were no issues with the crank arms clearing.

So I have to go for a smaller chainring, but I did not want to go under 42T if I could, to get the high gears for road rides.
I came up with a SRAM Apex brifter and X9 rear/crank combination, but unfortunately, the SRAM distro here does not carry such "less common" items.
So back to the drawing board....

Next, I thought of just paying up and getting the Force 1x with the 42T crankset and 10-42T cassette.
Again, another disappointment from the local distro.
They just don't have such 'weird' combos since 'real users' only use Red...
I'd have to order now and get them in August.

The SRAM clampdown on online retailers frustrates me since the local distro is basically sitting on their laurels and unwilling to provide a good range of Sram products while finding them online and willing to ship to Singapore is so hard.

Ended up, not willing to let the distro earn my money for such poor support and found an online store I could buy from.
Got the Rival 1x instead which was my preferred budgetary choice anyway and saved me a fair bit over Force 1x.

I just hope everything fits when they arrive.
My preliminary measurements do indicate that the 42T chainring should just clear the chainstay into the recessed portion of the chainstay.
Hi pinholecam,

I read all your posts about folders which are very insightful and awesome so thank you for that. I do have a Brompton but it's not really suitable for group rides. Current I'm looking for a full-sized folder bike and your gravel Change bike really caught my attention.

I apologize if this is a really dumb question is there a 2x crankset that would fit the frame?
Old 09-23-22, 01:26 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by biosync
Hi pinholecam,

I read all your posts about folders which are very insightful and awesome so thank you for that. I do have a Brompton but it's not really suitable for group rides. Current I'm looking for a full-sized folder bike and your gravel Change bike really caught my attention.

I apologize if this is a really dumb question is there a 2x crankset that would fit the frame?
looking at manufacturer builds, they use claris triple or deore double so the shimano site you should be able to cross reference the compatible chain lines and cranklength

https://www.changebike.co.uk/collections/all
Old 09-24-22, 04:01 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I have this Doppelganger 853 and it works well for my needs

Old 09-25-22, 06:57 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by biosync
Hi pinholecam,

Its great to see that the posts have been usedful to you (thats the whole purpose of the forums )

AFAIK, there is no issue with using a double.
The only issue is actually running 1x with a chainring larger than 40t-42t (I had to shim my BB towards the drive side to get clearance when using a 44t)
Change Bike actually sells a bike with a 2x and 3x (mtb chainring sizes though)

Do note that the bike does not have a FD hanger, so you will need a clamp on FD.
Old 09-26-22, 09:23 AM
biosync

Bikes: Brompton M9R, Change df702

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Its great to see that the posts have been usedful to you (thats the whole purpose of the forums )

AFAIK, there is no issue with using a double.
The only issue is actually running 1x with a chainring larger than 40t-42t (I had to shim my BB towards the drive side to get clearance when using a 44t)
Change Bike actually sells a bike with a 2x and 3x (mtb chainring sizes though)

Do note that the bike does not have a FD hanger, so you will need a clamp on FD.
Hi OP,

Thank you for this! Will take this into consideration when I decide to pull the trigger and start the build.
Old 10-03-22, 07:02 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Another option is the Ritchey Breakaway frame. It looks like the buke above is an imitation of the Ritchey solution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.