Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

For the 50+ 'newbie' rider

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

For the 50+ 'newbie' rider

Old 07-17-16, 08:26 PM
Athilda

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, AlpinaSport Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your success!

Saddle pain is according to some, inevitable. You're sitting a way that's unusual; you're using muscles you haven't used before. Discomfort is to be expected, I suppose.

I encourage you to take your bike to a local bike shop. Sit on it and let the folks help adjust your bike to the best fit possible. Ask about different saddles.

I know it's ridiculous, but I have a beach cruiser saddle on my mountain bike. I ride on roads, paths, sidewalks (not many mountains in IL) and the saddle is most comfortable, albeit _impossible_ for "real" mountainbike riding! I also ride an Alpina Univega with a traditional road-bike saddle. If I'm not careful to rotate the two bikes, when I use the Alpina, I face some real pain!

I sympathise with you. I hope you find the strength to get through it!

Good luck!
Old 08-13-16, 07:13 PM
RandyT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info for a newbie like me thanks for posting it
Old 10-06-16, 02:07 PM
BarryII

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Also......... those who are barely old enough to qualify for this forum might not consider themselves "older". Perhaps "For the 50+ newbie rider" might appeal to them more.

Boy, it was good to hear that. I'm not even 50 yet and I was feeling all old because if this 50+ forum. I rode a bike once in the last 25 years and I don't feel like I'd need special instruction to start again.
Old 10-25-16, 08:19 PM
Tommy1955
Senior Rider

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX 3 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter Denton
I'm a 68 year old newbie. I've been riding for 5 days and last rode a bike 25 years ago. I'm riding a 2016 Giant Roam 1. What has shocked me is how truly out of shape I am. I have been averaging 3-4 miles per ride at only 8-9 mph. After reading in another thread that I have to avg. 16-18 mph over 20 mi. To be considered a serious cyclist, I'm a bit discouraged. I do consider myself serious about this, I'm just not very good yet. I have ridden every day I have had my bike and I intend to keep it up. Even at my paltry speed and mileage I have improved a bit every day. I know I'm working at it because I come in out of breath and with rubbery legs every day. I've enjoyed the BF while I was researching bikes and I'm really looking forward to a long relationship with my Giant.
Walter, I really consider myself a 61 yr. old newbie because I've been riding for only 10 months. I would pay no attention to what some people consider to be a "serious rider". I consider myself a serious rider for I ride 15 to 18 miles M-F and between 20 to 30 miles on the weekends. I rest a day about every 6 to 7 days. I never really rode bikes when I was young. When I started riding on an old Trek 6000 mtn bike, I was having a hard time doing 2 to 5 miles. Now, 15 miles is a short ride for me and I just bought a new Trek FX 7.1 hybrid which I really love. I'm 5'8" so I got a 15" bike because my legs are short. I'm averaging 13 to 14 mph on fairly flat roads now and don't worry about the speeds other people are doing especially people riding road bikes. I have definitely improved big-time over the last 10 months. I've just about got my seat at the correct height and don't ever get saddle sore anymore. My longest ride so far is 32.6 miles (with several 3 minute stops). At first, I was thinking like you were and was trying to maintain 15 to 15.5 mph and could do it for a little while but because I was pushing so much, my muscles and knees were killing me and then I couldn't ride. Then I got to thinking, what the h--- am I doing? I'm not on a road bike or in my 30s or 40s. Now I just do what I can do and I do pretty good or at least what I think is pretty good. If you kill yourself trying to keep up with others, you'll quit having fun and will be in pain. Not worth it. I still do a decent ride in my opinion and am having a blast. The health benefit is just an extra great thing which is why I started riding. My only problem is is that I'm kinda an in between rider at 13 to 14 mph.. Most groups I think ride between 16 to 18 mph and family rides that are slower than what I do, so group rides for me might be out of the question for now. I think I'll get better in time and may even decide to get a road bike. Anyway, what ever you do, don't stop riding. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-02-17, 10:08 AM
mccartgm

Bikes: Felt FA, custom build

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding at 49 and still going. Learned as I went and still learning. These nuggets worked best for me: 1) Decide what kind of biking you want to do - road, mountain; 2) Buy an entry level bike built for either discipline but not both aka hybrid; 3) Focus on comfort and fit - pay for a fitting; 4) Join local bike club - it's friendly, you'll learn and fun to ride with others; 5) Set a weekly mileage goal and stick to it; 6) Test your enjoyment & commitment for 2-3 years, if you love it like i do, expect to buy another bike - lighter, stiffer, faster; 7) The sky is the limit on where you take it - as Greg Lemond famously said: "It never gets easier, you just get faster".
Old 05-01-17, 03:28 PM
area51bikeworks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ rider

I'm 56 and put on maybe 22 miles round trip from home to work and back. The saddle thing gets easier. I used to use a gel pad, now I have a stock seat on my Trek SU2.0. Not much of an issue for me....
Old 07-19-17, 04:38 PM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Appreciate all the great info.....My wife and I are 57 and just started biking, been enjoying our short rides so far except for the sore butt, can't wait for this to pass ha ha.....We went with Hybrids so looking forward in hitting some easy trails.
Old 09-04-17, 07:04 PM
scottmcd

Bikes: Kona ESATTO DDL Cinelli Zydeco

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I knew about this forum and this thread before I bought my first bike! Its not as easy as walking into your local Walmart and buy a bike if you want to ride a lot. You definitely want to be fitted to make it enjoyable to ride a lot.

Thank you!!
Old 09-06-17, 02:32 PM
jeromeoneil

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm doing 30 miles round trip. I never in my life thought that dropping $130 on a pair of bike shorts was something I would ever do, but about 3/4ths of the way through yesterday's ride home in a cheap pair, I changed my mind.
Old 10-22-17, 07:52 AM
MarkRS

Bikes: Shogun Primo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for putting this up. I don't have time now, but I plan on coming back and reading it for the information. After so many years, I'm riding again and liking it.
Old 12-08-17, 05:33 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm new to the forum - today - and am 70 (71 next month). My doctor recommended that I get more exercise after I finished another season of lobster fishing. In August, in preparation for cycling, I had my mountain bike tuned up and put road tires on it. After a couple of weeks, I decided to dig out my Fuji Allegro (1986) and have it tuned as well. After I started riding the Fuji, I purchased new bike shoes and clipless pedals, which I feel comfortable with, and more connected with my bike than with clips. . I'm now riding about 15 miles a day at between 14 and 15 1/2 mph, and often extending my rides as it feels good. I really enjoy riding, and am sorry I missed all those years of riding.
Old 12-29-17, 02:19 PM
Gpc2012

Bikes: Raleigh M-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 Y/O Re-Newbie needs advice

I used to ride many many years ago. I recently fell into a deal on an older Raleigh M50. It needs some work and I've been doing little things here and there. Now I'm at the point of doing the real stuff. I have a new set of shifters on the way, good old USPS decided to send them to Florida after they were 25 miles away from me here in Ca. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow. What I really need is some info. There are two different width tires on the bike currently. Both are 26 inch. One is 1.95 and the other is 1.50. Is there an indicator on the wheel itself as to what size it is? I haven't been able to locate one on the outside anywhere. And how do I know for sure what width tire I should use on it? Is there a chart that indicates the correct tire width for a specific rim? Any help for this silly issue would be great.

I can't wait to get back into riding, but want to make sure my bike is set up right.
Old 01-07-18, 08:39 AM
MarkRS

Bikes: Shogun Primo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I cleaned up my 30 year old Shogun Primo Sport, there was a tire size stamped on the wheel, it was small but I found it. The other option is to take it into a bike shop and have them put tires on it. You could look at the cost in this fashion; 1. you get the correct size tires the first time, 2. the additional cost is for their expertise, and 3. you pick the tread for how you are going to use it. I did it that way for two bikes and after paying the bill didn't, think about it again. I'm too old to fall off my bike because of some mechanical error I could have avoided. Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-21-18, 01:43 AM
skrufee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Question Trek Marlin 5, Giant ATX 2 or Specialized Pitch 27.5?

Hello All,

I wanted some advice as I haven't been out on a Mt. Bike in about 8 years. I used to have a Rocky Mt. full suspension bike, but sold it a few years ago when I got married. Now, I'm looking to get back into riding trails to help me get back into shape and lose some weight.

I have found the following new bikes that fit my budget:

Trek Marlin 5 $490

Giant ATX2 $460

Specialized Pitch 27.5 $475

I also see that a local bike shop has a used 2017 Marin Bolinas Ridge 2 M27.5 for $499.

Do you all have any suggestions on which I should get? I currently am looking to ride on non-technical trails that are of the easy to medium difficulty. I can't do any large uphills at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike R.
Old 02-23-18, 07:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by skrufee
Hello All,

I wanted some advice as I haven't been out on a Mt. Bike in about 8 years. I used to have a Rocky Mt. full suspension bike, but sold it a few years ago when I got married. Now, I'm looking to get back into riding trails to help me get back into shape and lose some weight.

I have found the following new bikes that fit my budget:

Trek Marlin 5 $490

Giant ATX2 $460

Specialized Pitch 27.5 $475

I also see that a local bike shop has a used 2017 Marin Bolinas Ridge 2 M27.5 for $499.

Do you all have any suggestions on which I should get? I currently am looking to ride on non-technical trails that are of the easy to medium difficulty. I can't do any large uphills at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike R.
I bet you'd get more feedback if you post this in the Mountain Biking forum. Or, start a new thread here in Fifty Plus.
I can't offer any advice since I last bought something resembling a MTB in 1985, and that was more of a city bike, by Jamis.
And welcome to BF!
Old 03-01-18, 01:46 PM
swatdh

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, 1978 Schwinn Continental, Raleigh C-40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found this sight. Great information here. Recently got back into Cycling after a 30 year leave. I have been using the free Cyclemeter App for IPhone for five week now. This past weekend I was riding through a paved path with very tall trees on either side. There are no leaves on the tree this time of year. When I finished my ride I checked the Cyclemeter and only a portion of the ride was showing. From the ride map ,it seems that the area outside of the trees was showing and the area in the trees was not. Does anybody know if this is a normal occurrence on other cycle computers or just this free one?
Old 06-28-18, 04:32 PM
StefanieB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome informative stuff for the newbie.
Old 07-05-18, 11:20 PM
Catweazle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all, long time no visit.

I've at long last edited this to include the section about "What to carry":

Cycling gear and stuff you need to carry

Doubtless some readers will disagree with my suggestions there, but as always I'm happy to edit it if I've made any glaring errors or omissions.

It's wonderful to see that, after all these years, my suggestions and advice here is still proving useful to many folk taking up cycling again (or for the first time). I haven't been riding much at all over the past several years. Too busy struggling with health problems. But with back and heart troubles now under control again, it's time to renovate the bicycle and venture further than just down the shop once in a while. So I finally came back here for a 'refresher course' .

Cheers all, and happy riding.
Likes For Catweazle:
Old 12-10-18, 11:48 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good intro info. I'm 70+ and still riding some. No centuries any more or anything like that, but trail riding when we have time and energy. You can see my old standby do-everything bike in a thread here: Trek on trail ...

I will take a bit of an exception to the statement in the intro that mountain bikes (MTB) are not all that good on road. To me, it all depends on the road ... Dirt and gravel roads, they excel. Paved road, maybe not, unless it's rough or has pot holes and pavement breaks/heaves ... I have found that MTB's make good all purpose bikes for local stuff. If I was going to ride a 100 miler (century), I'd opt for a drop bar roadie. But to old to do that now and no real interest. So MTB's work for me with "city" tires for all but a distance/speed road ride. Just my $.02 worth

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-10-18 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 10:28 PM
BigSparks
Fresh

Bikes: Rickerts ,Raleigh,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is plenty of info. I am no longer on the fence Catweazle. Electric bike is the choice. Sell everything else.
Old 03-13-19, 03:04 PM
asilversun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is all so helpful! I'm 52 and a long-time runner, but it's getting to be a bit much on my body. We'll see how the cycling goes! Thank you so much!
Old 07-08-19, 02:59 AM
Korrigan

Bikes: Brompton H2R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't turn 50 until November, but this is a truly outstanding thread with lots of invaluable information—thank you so much all for the collective wisdom!
cheers,
David
Old 07-14-19, 01:44 PM
jcribbs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am so glad this was posted. I am 61, female, and buying in TWO WEEKS my first bike in 50 years. I am so excited. My long term goal is to be able to ride 10 miles.. I'm even feeling kid-like BEFORE my purchase. I can't wait. Husband does not want a bike yet.

I have recently lost 60 lbs and have about 45 more to go. I have never felt better. My family, my grown kid, my grandkids --- they think I should join a gym, but I am just not a gym person.

After much contemplation, I have decided on a Liv bike.. After much research I have decided on a "LIV 2019 ROVE 3 DISC" ..
They sell this about 60 miles from my house so I am pretty pumped up on this.

I don't want a mountain bike but I don't want a street bike either. We are thinking in a couple years retiring to Colorado in an area with tons of dirt roads. So I'm thinking this will be a perfect bike for me and my age group.

Its been a long time for me but I am coming full circle..

Jenn

Last edited by jcribbs; 07-14-19 at 01:49 PM.
Likes For jcribbs:
Old 08-08-19, 07:27 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I ride a beach cruiser as my commuter where does that fit in bicycle catagories? Great FAQ for riding. Thank You.
Old 09-23-19, 03:53 PM
Alfadave

Bikes: Scott Spark 940, Trek Madone 3.1, Scott 1987 Sawtooth, 2005 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I certainly agree that a MTB works good for casual road riding, but only if fitted with smooth running tires. Big lugged off road tires will really beat you up on the pavement!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.