Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Injuries of stupidity that have kept you off the bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-15-19, 09:12 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts

we were at a friends house for a backyard BBQ over the weekend.

in one of my trademark moments of monumental stupidity, i transferred red hot burning coals in a starter chimney from my friends weber grill to his smoker in bare feet (we were all hanging out around his pool).

unknown to me, one of the coals fell out the bottom of the chimney and onto the concrete patio. after dumping the coals into the smoker, i turned around to set the chimney back on the weber and i stepped directly onto the glowing red coal with the ball of my foot.

H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the coal cinders burned into the skin on the bottom of my foot, i couldn't shake 'em off. so in extreme agony, i hopped on one foot over to the pool and jumped in.

after the immediacy of the intense pain subsided, my first thought was "goddamnit, this means i'm not gonna be able to bike commute for a while".

now i have a nice blister the size of a ping-pong ball on the bottom of my foot. the interwebs said 2nd degree burns like this usually stake about 2 weeks to heal.

so how about you? ever done something really, really dumb that resulted in not being able to bike commute for a while?
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 07-15-19, 10:39 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Well that puts the saddle sores I got from trying a new saddle without using compression shorts after years of not needing them on my Brooks into perspective.
Old 07-15-19, 12:15 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Earlier this year I installed a new screen door. Had to put all the screws in by hand to make sure I didn't over tighten them and strip out the door frame.

Every screw was hard to turn and there were like 25 of them.

Used a screw driver.

Didn't use gloves.

Had a huge blister right on the palm of my hand that broke open during the process. Suddenly I had fresh exposed skin that was....not fun.

Couldn't hold handlebars on the bike for 3 days.
Old 07-15-19, 12:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
No, I've never done anything that stupid.

I'm also not lying through my teeth.
Old 07-15-19, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
now i have a nice blister the size of a ping-pong ball on the bottom of my foot. the interwebs said 2nd degree burns like this usually stake about 2 weeks to heal.
I haven't done that, but if you're not diabetic, the feet should heal fairly quickly. I try to leave blisters intact for a couple of days before popping them (which may not be possible here).

Good dressings, and perhaps some antiseptic cream for the first couple of days.

You might look at corn donut pads... really big ones?

Good Luck.
Old 07-15-19, 01:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
As far as being knocked off from riding the bike... I've had a couple of minor spills on the bike. Sore elbows, knees, etc. But, none have completely stopped me from riding (although, perhaps deciding whether a trip is absolutely necessary), or taking a couple of days off.

It is hard to stop riding when one is "car-free" with minimal public services.

One quickly learns to minimize the pain. For example, with the foot ailment, you may be able to pull up with one leg (with cleats), while doing a full stroke with the other leg. That is, assuming you've gone clipless.

Or, perhaps change your foot position with that peal, and perhaps even seat height, so you can pedal with the heel.
Old 07-15-19, 06:55 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This was a few years ago.

I was home by myself, and was taking the garbage and recycling out to the garage while wearing flip flops. Was going down the stairs when I caught the end of a flip flop, and it curled underneath my foot. I fell down the stairs and knocked myself out. When I woke up, I couldn't walk on my right foot. I broke my foot, and couldn't ride my bike for 6 weeks.
Old 07-15-19, 07:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^ Well, I feel almost a camaraderie with that, because I got so mad at a walk-behind string trimmer that I punched a wall-- right on a studline, of course-- and snapped the 5th metacarpal in my right hand. Off the road for 41 days. I did put 500 miles in on Zwift during that time, and was actually thankful I had punched the wall and not kicked it. Because not being able to turn pedals at all would have been insult to injury.
Old 07-16-19, 08:26 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I try to leave blisters intact for a couple of days before popping them (which may not be possible here).
i tried to keep the burn blister intact, but i lanced it last night. the pain/pressure of having half a ping pong ball of puss sticking out of the ball of my foot was simply getting too intolerable.

the relief was instant. now the battle is to keep infection at bay.

the tissue is still way too tender and sensitive for me to attempt an 8 mile bike ride.
Old 07-16-19, 08:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've been off the bike for a badly sprained ankle from playing ultimate, or from a pinched nerve, but can't think of any 'stupid' reasons.

5 weeks ago my wife and son and I went on a 'quick' trail ride before he was going to head off for a party. At the bottom of a hill he hit an unexpected erosion-control bump with way too much speed and got launched, breaking his collar-bone. So he's off the bike and basically whole summer shot to hell.
Old 07-16-19, 10:35 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
In April had a slow speed fall off the bike trying to make a too fast, too tight u-turn on very rough pavement. Sprained my left hand and likely cracked a bone; when I press on the outside edge, there's still a bit of pain. Bone-headed, amateur move. Couldn't ride for the best part of a week.
Old 07-16-19, 11:42 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
A couple years ago I did something stupid on a low-speed descent and ended up dumping myself (and my bike) into a ditch. I finished the remaining 65 miles of the ride. The next day, I rode to the store to get Icy Hot. The day after that, I could barely move (sprained some kind of back muscle) and was off the bike for a bit.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I got so mad at a walk-behind string trimmer that I punched a wall-- right on a studline, of course-- and snapped the 5th metacarpal in my right hand.
This is acceptable. String trimmers have a special way of inducing rage and should probably be banned.
Old 07-16-19, 07:52 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Many decades ago, in Gastown, Vancouver, after work during my summer job, I got on my bike to ride home like I had done so many times before. Only this time, I rode my bike on the railways tracks. I slipped on the gravel and suffered a big gash on my left elbow that required seven stitches.
Old 07-17-19, 11:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Last Friday, I went on a fairly strenuous shakedown ride of a carbon uberbike I've built. Both the stem and carbon aero handlebar reach were too long, so the ride was very stretched out. Not uncomfortable at the time, but off by nearly 2cm.

So I rode hard, and then I played 36 holes of disc golf. I began to feel tightness in my lower back. It twinged a few times, but I ignored it.

Then, later that morning, I got out the hedge trimmers and re-sculpted to tall holly bushes on the corners of our house. I bent to pick up all of the trimmings, stuffing them into lawn bags. Then I carried the bags down to the curb.

By evening I was pretty sore. By Saturday morning, I was really spasmed in pain. It's taken 5 days of stretching, ibuprofen, and rest to begin to feel better. I haven't been on a bike yet this week, although I've fixed two for neighbors.

It started by riding hard on a bike that clearly is not dialed in to fit. My bad.
Old 07-17-19, 12:16 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Last night I kicked a door frame.

I swear the darn thing moved 6 inches from where I left it. Jumped right out at me. Ripped the nail off my little toe. Hurt like a SOB

I drove into work this morning.
Old 07-19-19, 07:50 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

i did it! despite my injury of stupidity, i rode to work for the first time this week!

it didn't exactly feel awesome on my burn wound, but the pain was tolerable (i pre-gamed with some ibuprofen).

i was all set to ride yesterday, but we had some pretty hellacious t-storms rolling through (my co-worker's car was totalled by a toppled tree).

being back on the bike after 4 days off is such a glorious feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't even remember the last time i went 4 work days in a row without bike commuting.

feeling kinda tough and proud at the moment. today is supposed to be the hottest, most disgusting day of the year and it would have been very easy for me to throw in the towel and coast through the weekend, but i didn't.

urge to ride > the pain.
Likes For Steely Dan:
Old 07-19-19, 11:31 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
^^^ Well, I feel almost a camaraderie with that, because I got so mad at a walk-behind string trimmer that I punched a wall-- right on a studline, of course-- and snapped the 5th metacarpal in my right hand. Off the road for 41 days. I did put 500 miles in on Zwift during that time, and was actually thankful I had punched the wall and not kicked it. Because not being able to turn pedals at all would have been insult to injury.
I can relate. Late 90's, I had got my Schwinn Mesa GS mtn bike and was using it to commute to work about 6 miles. Something happened at work and I had ridden that day. I was extremely frustrated/angry. I tried going for a walk to cool off. Didn't work. I wanted to leave for the day it was that bad. Unfortunately I was not able to because my coworker (1 source of my extreme frustration) had something going on that meant I couldn't leave early. That added to my anger/frustration as I felt trapped in situation that had come up. I decided to try to walk it off some more after coming back inside office...and headed toward side door...which was a heavy steel door. I punched it in my anger and OMG...PAIN. I broke same in my right hand. I tried to deal with the pain but it was too much and I ended up getting ride to ER. Also needed a ride home after ER. Hand in cast for 6 weeks. No bike riding (didn't have a trainer at the time) and no softball. I'm right handed and job involved typing and writing. I managed.
Old 07-19-19, 11:39 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I tore my rotator cuff and bicep connecting tendon in my shoulder doing overhead bike pose at halfway point of AIDS/Lifecycle 2018. Putting bike down and reaching it out to get past the boulder I was precariously standing on...I felt something in my shoulder. I just figured I strained it. Got home from ride which was in June 2018 and when I would go for rides...my shoulder was extremely painful. Finally saw ortho in Fall. Rotator cuff surgery 11/2 and off bike for months. Cleared to ride late Feb. Not even allowed to ride trainer unless I wanted to ride sitting straight up and not use bars. Finally got out for ride in March.
Old 07-19-19, 11:50 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I tore my rotator cuff and bicep connecting tendon in my shoulder doing overhead bike pose at halfway point of AIDS/Lifecycle 2018. Putting bike down and reaching it out to get past the boulder I was precariously standing on...I felt something in my shoulder. I just figured I strained it. Got home from ride which was in June 2018 and when I would go for rides...my shoulder was extremely painful. Finally saw ortho in Fall. Rotator cuff surgery 11/2 and off bike for months. Cleared to ride late Feb. Not even allowed to ride trainer unless I wanted to ride sitting straight up and not use bars. Finally got out for ride in March.
I'm imagining this happened just after the water bottles fell out of the cages onto your head
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-19-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 12:45 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm imagining this happened just after the water bottles fell out of the cages onto your head
Gee...since there aren't water bottles you assume they fell out? Duh....I took them out pre photo.
Old 07-19-19, 01:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I can see where they crumpled your race number on the way down
Genesis 49:16-17