Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Live to 100 or more?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Live to 100 or more?

Old 07-12-19, 09:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
That would imply that I could substitute honey and whole wheat bread and some how be well on my way to health. But I don't buy that.

I do subscribe to the idea of limiting the amount of added sugars in our foods and watching the amount of empty Calorie foods we eat.

You can't tell me that I can replace white sugar with other sugars and be significantly healthier.
I do buy it, because of the fiber, which slows the absorption of sugar and the resulting shock on the pancreas. Whole fruit wins over fruit juice for the same reason. White flour and sugar, particularly sugary soda pop, is indeed a big part of the problem.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-12-19, 10:47 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
It is a roll of the dice. Jim Fixx died at 52. Mr. Healthy living, heart attack. Hugh Hefner died at 91 not so healthy living. Adele Davis only made it 70 years leading health expert. Charlie Manson was 83 lived on dope and in prison. Euell Gibbons died at 64. another health expert. Kieth Richards is already 76. Sex Drugs and rock and roll.

But we all like to think we are in control. Maybe we aren't. https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/wha...deshow/slide-2

Take experts with a grain of salt, unless you are on a low salt diet. I don't know how long I want to live, and I don't really care. When it is time I don't want to linger
Likes For Mobile 155:
Old 07-12-19, 11:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Sigh ... someone has to be the Debbie Downer in all this optimism. I guess the nasty chore falls on yours truly ... my dad smoked till he was in his 50's, was diagnosed as diabetic at 44 but lived to 93. My mother lived to 93 as well. Neither had an exemplary diet and neither were fit or got exercise. My father in fact was overweight if not obese. You could do those things 90 and 100 years ago. The only thing those Okinawan's have on us Boomers reading this thread is that they were smart enough to be born 100 years ago. Humans will never again live as long without medical intervention, and innovation on that front has stalled. Not that it matters, its clear from the evidence of recent breakthroughs that when, and if, Allied Health manages to extend human life back to its genetic potential, we won't be able to afford it.

Me and mine are not trying to live as long as our parents, we are doing all we can (and it is a full time job!) to avoid becoming catastrophically ill because that would suck. Mainly because we don't have great wealth to take the edge off the medical expenses. If this thread is to have any meaning then rather than being wistful about the future some of us might start posting the steps that they are taking to make a long, healthy, life a possibility. Please excuse my intense reaction. I have a large extended family and there has been a lot of ... untimely demise in it wonderful genes notwithstanding.

There are simply too many environmental factors and social stresses that didn't exist before ... World War II? Much of it we have absolutely zero control over. I don't think there is a shred of possibility of someone born much after 1950 living to 100. As for people born after around 1990 its even worse. It was probably unthinkable to parents 100 years ago that they would outlive their children if their children survived childhood. Now it isn't all that uncommon for 60 year old parents to bury their adult children. I'm sorry to have to be so blunt but I didn't see the prior post that acknowledged American Nuclear Testing in the 1940's and its ongoing impacts. I didn't see the prior post that mentioned the reduced ozone layer due to aerosol and refrigerant use through the 1970's and the ongoing impacts. I didn't see mention of the over 80,000 compounds in our water, air and soil of which the vast majority have effects on human longevity that we can only guess at.

Cutting out sugar is not a terrible thing but if you continue to drink tap water you may as well continue using sugar. On the other hand, if you buy a water filter (a serious under-sink high performer) you might not have to worry (as much) about your sugar intake. My father didn't and he was diabetic!
Old 07-12-19, 11:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Centenarians are the fastest increasing age group in the US. Silly to think that trend won't continue. I had a doctor who said that researchers would be studying us athletic baby boomers for a generation, trying to figure out how we did it. That said, the average lifespan isn't increasing right now, which means that the rich (that's us) are living longer and the poor are dying younger. The wealth disparity in the US is increasing at the fastest rate in the world, even beating out India. Wealth = lifespan. "Rich" in this country now equals having enough to eat and medical care. A bike is pretty cheap, the rest of it not so much.
Old 07-13-19, 12:06 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
Only if I'm in contention for the hour record in my age group.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-14-19, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I do buy it, because of the fiber, which slows the absorption of sugar and the resulting shock on the pancreas. Whole fruit wins over fruit juice for the same reason. White flour and sugar, particularly sugary soda pop, is indeed a big part of the problem.
Well you missed my point. The point of yours that I was contesting was your only diet guideline....avoid white sugar and white flour.

Originally Posted by John E
Avoiding white sugar and white flour is a pretty good start on a magic diet.

Walking aerobically 30 minutes or more per day is a pretty good start on a magic exercise or activity.

Avoiding the Standard American Diet and Sedentary American Lifestyle (SAD SAL) is a good start at putting more years in your life and life in your years, not to mention money in your bank account.
I just don't see how avoiding white sugar is going to be a magic bullet to put you well on your way to health if you substitute any other sugar in it's place.

And I'm not too sold on the idea that whole grain breads will save me either. Bread of any sort shouldn't be a major part of your diet IMO. And if I'm eating a good diet anyway with plenty of real vegetables, getting plenty of fiber. Then I don't need anything whole grain bread gives me. So I'm going to enjoy my homemade bread with white flour.

It's not your overall picture I'm disagreeing with. It's your specific's of white sugar and white flour. While admittedly, used in large quantity they might be worse than others. It's such a narrow margin that avoiding them but substituting others only gets you nothing measurable in return.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-14-19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-14-19, 01:02 PM
plasticweld

Bikes: One I paid $50 for :** and three more I paid way to much for

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used up more than my nine lives many years ago. Every day is a gift for me, one I am not entitled to nor deserving of.

Carpe diem, Seize the day...more than words for me.
Old 07-14-19, 01:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That book tells the story of the first homeowners' association members who violated the gardening clause and were kicked out. Then one brother murdered the other and the Hood was born. It's all down hill from there.

Get your plot or cremation paid for and do what you can until you can't. You can't pick your time, maybe your eternal neighbors but I guarantee you won't be fighting with them by then.
Old 07-14-19, 04:15 PM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Quality over quantity. When the quality is gone, I wanna be gone too... regardless of the number.

-Kedosto
People don't stop moving when they grow old, they grow old when they stop moving!
Old 07-14-19, 04:33 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Recommend "The China Study" (Dr. Campbell) for lifestyle adjustments... maximize the gifts nature gave you....

Groove with Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu, optional observations that smooth the journey

Look to herbals to help most stuff and ween off "pills and procedures"....

The earth has been recycling components since before time began... live a simple life in honor of her....

That 'bout covers it!
Old 07-15-19, 03:11 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I suspect the there is no single or simple answer to living the longest and healthyiest possible life. One thing that is known is that Mediterranean people have longer life spans than the average. It is also known that a strong social network and diet has a measurable effect of our health. People of that area all seem to be foodies insisting, often obsessively, on fresh ingredients. Also Mediterranean people seem to be particularly social, gathering large groups of family and friends for enormous meals. But then that area had had steady wars for thousands of years. It could be that those who were unable to find ways to get along were killed off. https://www.healio.com/family-medici...eases-lifespan
Old 07-16-19, 09:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Centenarians are the fastest increasing age group in the US. Silly to think that trend won't continue.
I'm 60. I am definitely healthier at 60 than either of my parents were, but my parents did not come to the US until they were almost 40. Cause of death on my fathers Death Certificate is Prostate Cancer. He was almost 93. Rich Americans are dying left and right from Cancer(s) that are just about non-existent in other parts of the world. Everyday 60 plus children under 12 are diagnosed with some kind of cancer. ALL the cancers that matter are increasing, year over year, in incidence. What is silly is to imagine that in ... 20 years, it won't become apparent that the Centenarians are no longer being replaced with new ones.
Old 07-16-19, 11:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm 60. I am definitely healthier at 60 than either of my parents were, but my parents did not come to the US until they were almost 40. Cause of death on my fathers Death Certificate is Prostate Cancer. He was almost 93. Rich Americans are dying left and right from Cancer(s) that are just about non-existent in other parts of the world. Everyday 60 plus children under 12 are diagnosed with some kind of cancer. ALL the cancers that matter are increasing, year over year, in incidence. What is silly is to imagine that in ... 20 years, it won't become apparent that the Centenarians are no longer being replaced with new ones.
What is definitely true is that, due to tech improvements, rates of cancer diagnosis are going up. Fortunately, also do to tech improvements, is that rates of cancer deaths are going down, at about 1.5%/year.

It is said that if men live long enough they'll all get prostate cancer. Then it's just a case of what gets us first. 70% of the time, it's something else. Diet and exercise seem to reduce the chance of developing prostate cancer, which might have something to so with becoming a centenarian. So ride your bike.
Old 07-16-19, 01:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
Genetic isolation. Japan and Okinawa are among the most insular populations in the world, remarkable considering their relative openness to international commerce, tourism and the US military.

Many small indigenous tribes worldwide have similar adaptations to diets. Doesn't mean those diets are good for anyone else.

Eat a balanced diet. Enjoy what you eat. Avoid sugar and junk carbs and excess alcohol. Be careful with most modern fruit -- it's genetically designed to be sugar in fiber.

Use sugar and sugary fruits and foods as fuel. I love me some chocolate donuts. My reward to myself is to eat a couple of donuts on my bicycling days. If I'm doing a 30 minute HIIT session or riding 30 miles or longer, I earned and burned that sugar.

Eat some meat. Enjoy that crispy bbq chicken skin and fatty brisket and hamburger. It's an efficient source of complete proteins and amino acids. A little goes a long way. It helps break the cycle of bipolar blood sugar peaks and troughs. Use butter and olive oil.

Avoid extremes -- the keto kraze being the latest in a long history of bad diets for most people. If you're not a serious athlete aspiring to up your game a notch, the keto diet is practically pointless. It's been around for decades, resurfacing occasionally. Google around for complications from ketoacidosis, etc., and it'll become clear why it's a highly specialized diet that should be undertaken very carefully and under medical supervision.

Ditto some of the vegan diets I see my woke friends struggling with. Two of my local cycling friends have either gained weight or look unhealthy from bad weight loss after going vegan. They won't admit it yet, but they're struggling with the unbalanced diet by eating too many junk carbs and sugar. They struggle with feeling unwell, hungry all the time, feeling less fit. In between humble-brag Facebook posts about their latest healthy meals, they're binging on sugar to compensate for feeling famished and lacking energy. I've seen it many times among family and friends.

In six months they'll be posting on FB about returning to "a little" meat via fish, and feeling much better. They'll post some sort of pseudo-science article explaining why they have a special genetic makeup that requires a little meat. Their special genetic makeup is what the rest of us call being human. Pretty soon they'll be eating burgers and brisket and feeling much better and return to their pre-diet decent baseline health and weight.

Knock it off with the gluten boogeyman. Only a tiny handful of people are genetically incapable of digesting glutens. For most of us, especially if we have some European lineage, gluten is a good source of fuel. In my wide circle of family and friends of diverse ethnicity I know exactly one person who's genetic makeup means she actually does have gluten intolerance.
Old 07-17-19, 12:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
It is a roll of the dice. Jim Fixx died at 52. Mr. Healthy living, heart attack. Hugh Hefner died at 91 not so healthy living. Adele Davis only made it 70 years leading health expert. Charlie Manson was 83 lived on dope and in prison. Euell Gibbons died at 64. another health expert. Kieth Richards is already 76. Sex Drugs and rock and roll.
"Fact" is not the plural form of "anecdote."
Old 07-28-19, 12:20 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
since I don't think I will ever be able to afford to retire I just hope to live long enough to see my little girl grow up to be whatever she wants to be and hopefully see a grandchild or two. 100 not unless I'm in really good health. so based on my family history probably might make middle 80's lord willing
Old 07-28-19, 12:47 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

But we all like to think we are in control. Maybe we aren't. https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/wha...deshow/slide-2

Take experts with a grain of salt, unless you are on a low salt diet. I don't know how long I want to live, and I don't really care. When it is time I don't want to linger
Bicycling Magazine publisher James Rodale's death was notable:

Rodale died of a heart attack at the age of 72 while participating as a guest on an early-evening taping of The Dick Cavett Show slated to be aired that same night, Tuesday, June 8, 1971. Rodale was still on stage, having finished his interview, and was seated on a couch next to the active interviewee, New York Post columnist Pete Hamill. Rodale had stated during his just-completed interview on the show, "I'm in such good health that I fell down a long flight of stairs yesterday and I laughed all the way", "I've decided to live to be a hundred", and "I never felt better in my life!"[12] He had also previously said, "I'm going to live to be 100, unless I'm run down by some sugar-crazed taxi driver."[13][14]

According to Dick Cavett, Hamill noticed something was wrong with Rodale, leaned over to Cavett, and said, "This looks bad." According to others, Cavett asked, "Are we boring you, Mr. Rodale?" Cavett himself said that he "emphatically" did not recall saying this, but one of the two physicians in the audience did remember this. The physicians (an internist and orthopedic surgeon, both in residency) rushed onto the stage to try to revive Rodale with cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. (During an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson that originally aired on February 5, 1982, Cavett stated "firefighters from across the street" also attended the patient.) Although an electrocardiogram continued to show cardiac activity, they were unsuccessful; Rodale was pronounced dead on arrival at Roosevelt Hospital.[15][16] The episode was never broadcast, although Cavett has described the story in public appearances and on his blog.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._I._Rodale#Death
Old 07-28-19, 02:00 PM
Hawkowl2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Lots of discussion about an event that will affect us all. Unless you are part of Heinlein's Lazarus family that is. The only two questions are When and How. Will it be trauma from a traffic accident, or a fall, or any number of everyday things? Or, disease that is, at this very moment, festering in our bodies? How about a natural disaster like an earthquake? The possibilities are many. Too many to worry about.
Old 07-28-19, 06:51 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I think of Tithonus, lover of the goddess Eos, who was granted eternal life, but not eternal youth. He wound up as a cricket. For a more contemporary take on the theme, consider the movie, Zardos.
Old 07-28-19, 07:23 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
You are Doomed, is this a sudden revelation?
Live like today is your last and if you wake up in the morning do it again.
If not, good try.

-Bandera
Old 07-29-19, 12:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazi...Of-NAD/Page-01
Old 07-29-19, 01:41 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you seen most 100-yr-olds? I don't want to be them. "Luckily" the men of my family rarely make it out of their 60s and never hit 80.

Last edited by zowie; 07-31-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 06:30 PM
Hawkowl2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Fit to Live

A military gym I used to use for workouts had a sign on the wall: "Fit to Fight". To me there is a corollary for our lives. Fit to Live.

Given all of life's vagaries it is fruitless to live for longevity. Instead, being fit enough for daily life and handling emergencies should be the goal. Longevity is a side effect of healthy living.
Old 07-31-19, 07:38 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I would describe it more like being dealt a hand in a card game. Some people are dealt a bad hand and all the skill in the world won't help them. Others might be dealt a great hand and can't lose in spite of their stupidity. The best thing is to have a great hand and play it wisely. But...

We can deal with known risks and try to avoid them, but then there are the unkown unknown risks.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 07-31-19, 09:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Just celebrated my grandmother's 101st birthday last week. She has a good quality of life - she's mentally sharp, still has good independence and is living a happy life. I have long living relatives on both sides of my family ... if I can avoid getting punted by an texting SUV driver while out on my bike I expect I'll get there too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.