Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling my age

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling my age

Old 07-17-19, 07:06 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I wish I was fifty-two again.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 07-17-19, 06:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Numb hands could be carpal tunnel syndrome. If it is, the surgery is simple and low risk, and the relief from pain and numbness is wonderful. My hands went numb when holding books, so there are a bunch of questions a doc can ask to see if you need the probative test.

For chafing, in addition to thin pads, try the Gold Bond Friction Defense may help, but Body Glide works wonders for me.
Old 07-17-19, 07:37 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
Thank you for your input. So you all think that even the palm numbness will eventually go away with conditioning?
maybe yes but with those handle bars not too many hand position with drop bars u can ride the hoods the top and of course in the drop position for me helps alot . When I ride my flat bar commutter bike sometimes for as little as 10 miles hands tend to get numb but hardly ever on my road bikes. With drop bars
Old 07-22-19, 07:03 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I think I will try the VO crazy bars so I can keep my MTB shifters.

Regarding shorts, I personally got turned off by riding in them because I feel they represent a barrier to riding without judgement. I got many negative comments from power riders (road bikers) about my setup so I purposely ride without lycra. I even rode last time in a Hawaiian shirt.

I know it might sound pretty but it really annoys me when people make something as fun as riding a bike into a competition of better, newer gear or personal strength.. blah, blah, blah
Old 07-22-19, 07:32 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
About the only time I actually "feel" my age, is at night time, aches and pains in bed in the middle of the night, but as soon as I get up... Its A-O,K,... I can ride 100Kms and not a problem... WTF...
Old 07-22-19, 07:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
Jskita@ ,You want to get better. You want to get stronger. And you want to go longer. Equipment choices make a difference. I have no idea what the physiological analysis would suggest but riding more than a few cruising miles on a mountain bike makes my hands numb. If I go MTBing, my hands don't go numb. I never just cruise on my road bikes with drop bars and my hands don't go numb. I put Soma Oxfords on a road bike for a weekend 120 mile round trip weekend and my hands didn't go numb. MTB levers work on the Oxfords. If you were my neighbor, I would offer you a road bike to ride for a few weeks. It is what you really want. CL, Offer up etc. is your gateway to high performance cycling.

(61 and getting dropped by other 61 year olds on group rides and every week I come back for more. I don't know why.)
Old 05-31-21, 04:33 PM
jskita

It's been a while but I wanted to post an update.

I took everyone's comments into consideration and I tried it all! This is what I think worked best (in order of best solution) for me.
  1. Get stronger!
  2. Get more hand positions
  3. Fueling (electrolytes)
I just ride more and harder and that seemed to help the most. I eventually got a bike with 650b slicks and dropbars and that took care of my hand position issues. Riding harder also amplified my cramping issues so I added Endurolytes (electrolytes from Hammer) and fueling with regular food ( not gels) along the ride and cramping has gone away. I think my hydration has always been fine but I was lacking things in my fluids.

I have since been able to go back to the Miyata upright bike with zero issues. I did put wider bars for more hand positions though.

I don't know what I would have done without all the input from the forum member!

Thank you everyone!!!
Likes For jskita:
Old 05-31-21, 05:32 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I know some others will disagree, but I like mountain bike style handlebars. I like them up high, so you don't have too much weight on your hands.
Old 05-31-21, 05:37 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I don't know what your diet is like, but having a healthy diet is important for maintaining a healthy body as you get older. Have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Drink water and healthy drinks, such as fruit juice. Avoid artificially colored and flavored drinks.
Likes For alo:
Old 05-31-21, 05:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I know some others will disagree, but I like mountain bike style handlebars. I like them up high, so you don't have too much weight on your hands.
I have drop bars that are 6 cm below my saddle. I have almost no weight on my hands.

The "trick" is a saddle at the right height, set back the right amount, and tilted at the right angle. And getting your core muscles accustomed to the position.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-03-21, 10:58 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Of course I will catch hell from the "real cyclist" on the forum, but probably the best answer to your problem is a recumbent or a trike. I have both. The trike is used for trails in town with all the stops. And the bent goes out of town with the bike club. Either will get rid of almost all the aches and pains of a DF bike. And IMO the trike is the most fun and relaxing way there is to cycle.

Last edited by rydabent; 06-03-21 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 11:03 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Of course I will catch hell from the "real cyclist" on the forum, but probably the best answer to your problem is a recumbent or a trike. I have both. The trike is used for trails in town with all the stops. And the bent goes out of town with the bike club. Either will get ride of almost all the aches and pains of a DF bike. And IMO the trike is the most fun and relaxing way there is to cycle.
The OP already solved his problems.
Old 06-04-21, 02:03 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I have drop bars that are 6 cm below my saddle. I have almost no weight on my hands.

The "trick" is a saddle at the right height, set back the right amount, and tilted at the right angle. And getting your core muscles accustomed to the position.
Thank you for contributing. Makes sense what you’re saying. Taking it in.

Seems similar to watching somebody ride by on a crotch rocket with their elbows locked, not using their core, not letting the wind do some of the supporting of their upper body.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-11-21, 09:23 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
Numb hands are merely one of the delights of the aging (rider) process. I find I enjoy riding enough to tough it out with occasional breaks to get the feeling back.
I'm with you, Mitch. Never had numbness or cramps until entering 60s. Breaks, even short ones of 1 minute help with numb hands. Look for ways to relieve hands, like standing on downhill runs with hands lightly holding bars; or deliberately taking all weight off hands on undemanding stretches. Still baffled by after-ride leg cramps; afraid death is the cure for those.
Old 06-11-21, 09:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
after-ride leg cramps
when I plan longer rides, I use magnesium, calcium, potassium & sodium supplements, the night before, before the ride & at the 1/2 way point. older guys like us need to keep hydrating even if we have to find pit stops more often that we used to. Epsom baths, once I get home, are a nice treat, sometimes w/ a 1/2 glass of wine. one can massage the large muscles of the leg in the bath & the magnesium from the Epsom salt is a natural muscle relaxant. 20 minute minimum, but I've stayed in longer. just don't fall asleep & drown yourself! I dozed off for a second, one time & rethought how long I soak for, haha
Old 06-11-21, 10:22 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
52 gee you are just a young whipper snapper. Im 30 years older than you, and ride 25 miles or more every other day.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-13-21, 08:27 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
The problem is either circulatory or neurological. More likely neurological. The main constriction points for nerve supply to the hands are: nerve root compression, thoracic outlet, wrist/carpal tunnel. The nerve passage over the shoulder or over the elbow could also be the problem but that is more often traumatic. Changing your position or posture whether via seat adjustment or hand positioning may assist - at least for awhile. If it is caused by nerve root compression it may be a narrowing of the opening in the vertebrae due to arthritis or boney deposit, or muscle spasm in the neck. Thoracic outlet could be traumatic or muscular as the collar bone sinks to press on the nerve. Enough has been said on carpal.

Try everything first: positioning, posture, exercise - perhaps directed by a physiotherapist or a kinesiologist. Surgery is occasionally helpful as a last resort ( especially for carpal). Or accept it and just carry on taking appropriate breaks.
Old 06-14-21, 04:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
Thank you for your input. So you all think that even the palm numbness will eventually go away with conditioning?
I'd start with making sure your fit is right. That's a nice looking bike but not the style I'd want to ride for more that 10-20 miles. I'm sure some people can do that but it wouldn't work for me. There's a reason that there are different styles of bikes.
Old 06-14-21, 09:14 AM
jskita

@bruce19 - While I did change my bars to wider ones for more hand positions and I can now ride much farther with few issues - I now like my drop bar bike a lot better! Even though I just changed my bars I am thinking of changing them again to drop bars .

With less weight on my butt that means a new seat too. Anyone interested in a recently completed upright set-up???

Old 06-14-21, 05:22 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinClassSara
Ah, welcome to the youth of old age. Everything you love is trying to kill you.
Now that is quotable.