Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Darn Strava.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Darn Strava.

Old 06-21-19, 05:23 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Darn Strava.

Went out for a ride earlier this week and was out to set a new PB for a segment on my Strava. Got home after the ride and found the only thing recorded was a straight line. Checked the settings and went out for a ride today and again, nothing but a straight line. Ended up deleting the app and reloading it. Went out for a short ride and it seems that has corrected the problem. Will find out tomorrow when I go for a another ride. My phone crashed last week and ended up resetting itself and I had not given the app a second thought. I guess I should have.
Frank.
Old 06-21-19, 07:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Tech always has bugs and quirks. Add in wireless and that's a whole new issue.

Ctrl Alt Del
Old 06-21-19, 07:46 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Went out for a ride earlier this week and was out to set a new PB for a segment on my Strava. Got home after the ride and found the only thing recorded was a straight line. Checked the settings and went out for a ride today and again, nothing but a straight line. Ended up deleting the app and reloading it. Went out for a short ride and it seems that has corrected the problem. Will find out tomorrow when I go for a another ride. My phone crashed last week and ended up resetting itself and I had not given the app a second thought. I guess I should have.
Frank.
Why don't you submit a support request to Strava? They fix such problems all of the time and give direct answers to any direct questions you may have.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 06-21-19, 07:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
This may/may not apply anymore, but I found the phone app buggy when battery save mode &/or data save mode was enabled. Sometimes it would only record while the screen was on, sometimes not. Sometimes it only recorded when background useage was allowed, sometimes not.

Arrrgh...One reason I bought a designated GPS bike computer.

My latest attempts with Samsung S8+ & current update have proved "not disappointing." So that's somethin'
Likes For base2:
Old 06-21-19, 08:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
A straight line?

That often indicates that Strava/Phone has crashed or was turned off, and recovered from the crash. So it connects the known points with a straight line.

So, for example, a couple of days ago, I stopped at one store. I apparently jostled my phone in the pack, and it shut off. Then at the next store I jostled it again, and it restarted.

Thus, for that ride, it shows the whole loop, but a straight line for the section between the two stores.

Do you have a handlebar mount for your phone?

I tend to like to keep Strava running in the background on my phone. So, should the phone screen get activated when I'm not aware, it takes a couple of button clicks for Strava to pop up.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-21-19, 08:49 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Also depends on your phones battery saving mode. If it is on shut it off.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 06-21-19, 09:10 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by Bmach
Also depends on your phones battery saving mode. If it is on shut it off.
Thank you all for your responses. I did have it on the battery saver mode and have since shut it off. I did a small round the block ride and it seems to have cured the issue.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 06-22-19, 03:27 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
ON - OFF - ON - OFF ..... with my 920XT yielded the following ---- actually took 90 miles of riding to generate (my computer is old and dumb and requires re-start action to complete the flow, hoping your's is better)

https://www.relive.cc/view/2451774101

ON at beginning and OFF when done for today's ride -----

https://www.relive.cc/view/2471651235
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-23-19, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
It sounds like you figgered it out. I was going to add that even Strava is garbage in/garbage out. Straight lines sure sounded like you weren't recording properly. I've had places where I lost GPS signal and got the dreaded 'straight line' too; but it wasn't Strava's fault then either.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 06-24-19 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-24-19, 05:51 AM
Helderberg

Thanks all for the responses. Had it out yesterday and after changing the battery setting from saver mode it is working again. I crashed my phone last week, user error, and when I got it back I decided to try the saver setting. Lesson learned. Lost about 25 miles against my total so not a big loss but the timed segment I turned would have been nice to have recorded. Life goes on.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 06-24-19, 09:45 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Glad it worked out.
Old 07-08-19, 07:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
I don't have any high tech. But a friend and I went trail riding and she uses Strava (think that's the one). We ended up with a 2 mile difference in distance at the end of the ride (which was 6 miles+) (we both started at zero-me on my cyclometer and her on her app). I double checked my mtn.bike cyclometer against my road bike and both get identical distance readings (I know the road bike is correct-now I know the mtn.bike is also). Guess apps aren't foolproof.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-08-19, 10:22 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18302 Post(s)
Liked 4,470 Times in 3,326 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I don't have any high tech. But a friend and I went trail riding and she uses Strava (think that's the one). We ended up with a 2 mile difference in distance at the end of the ride (which was 6 miles+) (we both started at zero-me on my cyclometer and her on her app). I double checked my mtn.bike cyclometer against my road bike and both get identical distance readings (I know the road bike is correct-now I know the mtn.bike is also). Guess apps aren't foolproof.
2 miles in 6 is quite a bit.

I run both RideWithGPS and Strava on my phone. They usually differ from each other slightly... maybe 1/2 mile in 30.

I do a lot of utility riding, so one of the biggest differences seems to be how the apps deal with parking the bike and walking around for a half hour.

Once I had Strava go bonkers when I started it, and then didn't ride for a couple of days while it jumped all over the place looking for satellites.

I also had a descent once where it also jumped off the road quite a bit giving me very bad false readings.
Old 07-08-19, 12:44 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
I put the APP on a new phone and went through the settings and somehow invited everyone in my contacts to join Strava... some of them were pretty annoyed.

Diablo Wife somehow created a Strava account for herself from her Facebook page without realizing it and got hundreds of e-mails from those weird people that want the maximum number of follows.
Old 07-08-19, 02:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I put the APP on a new phone and went through the settings and somehow invited everyone in my contacts to join Strava... some of them were pretty annoyed.

Diablo Wife somehow created a Strava account for herself from her Facebook page without realizing it and got hundreds of e-mails from those weird people that want the maximum number of follows.

Is it OK to laugh at this?

Even if it isn't OK....

-Tim-
Old 07-17-19, 10:17 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
What's Strava?
Old 07-18-19, 07:34 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by ironwood
What's Strava?
Strava is a free app that you can load to your smart phone and pc that allows you to track your rides. There is also a subscription version that offers more options. I like it as it allows what I am looking for in the free version. I have it phone mounted on the bike handlebar so it can "see" the GPS signal.
Google it and see what you think. Free to look.
Frank.
Old 07-18-19, 08:40 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I would get a dedicated computer to record your rides and just have it auto upload to Strava. Use your phone as a phone and have it available for emergencies. If your going to rig it with a battery pack just to run it on your bike, you might as well just get a computer.
Old 07-18-19, 01:30 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by jadocs
I would get a dedicated computer to record your rides and just have it auto upload to Strava. Use your phone as a phone and have it available for emergencies. If your going to rig it with a battery pack just to run it on your bike, you might as well just get a computer.
This is good advice but the reason I was running the phone on "battery saver mode" was more about me being an old tightwad and less about actually saving the battery charge. I am going to look into a Garmin for the bike as I think it would be nice to have a system dedicated to just riding.
Thanks, Frank.