Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Another weight limit/road bike thread

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 04:55 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

So when I started dieting my goal was to get below 300 and then buy a road bike. I have been using a Surley Kona which is a good bike but about as much fun to ride fast as my Toyota Tacoma is to drive fast; which is to say not very. Well I was looking around the interwebs and found a Cannondale R1000 for sale near me cheap. I have agreed to buy it. It had 32 spoke wheels which is nice but I am concerned I will wreck it if I ride it at my current weight (330) Should I put it to the garage until I lose some weight or get on the pony and ride?
Old 07-12-18, 08:19 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
ride it, and ride it some more.
Old 07-15-18, 12:30 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Ride it until you break a rear spoke. Front wheel will be just fine, rear will be depending on how well the build it. BUT I would suggest start saving for a new rear wheel. But yes, ride the think and have fun. I was riding road bikes at 336lbs when I started the diet. Had alum frame and some 36 spoke wheels made and never had an issue. Down under 300 now and rolling better yet.

Good luck, enjoy the ride!
Old 07-15-18, 03:13 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride! I've been riding on 24 spoke wheels from about 300 lbs without any trouble. Bigger tires though (700 x 28).
Old 07-16-18, 06:17 AM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
At my heaviest, I went about 295. I rode 36-spoke Mavic Open Pros with 28c tires and had no trouble at all -- no bent or broken spokes, and I ride on West Virginia's notoriously ill-maintained roads! I've never even had to re-true one of the Mavics. I'm now at 233 pounds and shooting for 215. I highly recommend Open Pros; they're as close to a bombproof rim as I've ever ridden. Good luck with your weight-loss regimen!
Old 07-16-18, 10:30 AM
bgdoyle

Bikes: '18 Giant Defy,'18 Trek FX3, Early '90s Giant Iguana

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd probably just take it to a LBS and have them check tension and true. Then just ride it. I popped the reflector of the rear wheel of my le tour when I put a bit of torque to the wheel getting out my driveway with the spokes a little loose. I'm at 265 right now.
Old 07-16-18, 08:22 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bgdoyle
I'd probably just take it to a LBS and have them check tension and true. Then just ride it. I popped the reflector of the rear wheel of my le tour when I put a bit of torque to the wheel getting out my driveway with the spokes a little loose. I'm at 265 right now.

That the wheel is true is as important that the number of spokes you have.
Old 08-11-18, 02:27 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Just an update bought the bike. The guy had a tune up done before he gave it to me (for $450 no less) and its pristine, Have just over 100 miles on it no issues yet, although I am super careful not to hi potholes or curbs with it.
Old 08-11-18, 03:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Cychologist

Its regular service that keeps them like that, so don't ignore them.
Old 08-11-18, 08:20 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Its regular service that keeps them like that, so don't ignore them.
You mean they won't stay like that forever? You don't say! Gosh maybe someone could invent something to make sure they get attention before they break... we could call it "Preventative Maintenance" or "PM" for short.

Sorry I am an Engineering Tech. PMs are my job.
Old 08-12-18, 07:07 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by starkmojo
Just an update bought the bike. The guy had a tune up done before he gave it to me (for $450 no less) and its pristine, Have just over 100 miles on it no issues yet, although I am super careful not to hi potholes or curbs with it.
Very nice!
Old 08-12-18, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Cychologist
No. Just no. A poorly built wheel can be just as true as a well built wheel. That doesn't mean that it isn't a poorly built wheel.

Originally Posted by starkmojo
So when I started dieting my goal was to get below 300 and then buy a road bike. I have been using a Surley Kona which is a good bike but about as much fun to ride fast as my Toyota Tacoma is to drive fast; which is to say not very. Well I was looking around the interwebs and found a Cannondale R1000 for sale near me cheap. I have agreed to buy it. It had 32 spoke wheels which is nice but I am concerned I will wreck it if I ride it at my current weight (330) Should I put it to the garage until I lose some weight or get on the pony and ride?
First, if you don't have fun driving the Tacoma fast, you are do it wrong. Drive it fast in its element and it's a whole lot of fun.

Second, I think you mean a Kona Sutra. Kona and Surly are two different brands of bicycle. I suppose a Kona could become surly if it gets dunk and disorderly or that a Surly could go to Kona but, generally, they are two different brands.

Now to the meat. The number of spokes does matter but, far more importantly, the type of spoke matters much more. A stock wheel with 32 spokes is relatively weak because they use spokes that just aren't up to the load. For your weight, stock spokes and 36 spoke wheels would still be questionable. When the spokes on your wheel start to break...and they will...consider going to a stronger spoke. You can still use the 32 spokes...if you use stronger spokes. Take a look at this article and consider having the wheels rebuilt with a triple butted spoke when your spokes start to break. I build all my wheels with them and have for roughly 20 years. That's mountain bikes (which, like the Tacoma is lots of fun to ride fast if you ride it correctly), touring bikes, commuter bikes and go fast bikes. This bike, for example, uses 32 hole wheels that I wouldn't hesitate to put on a touring bike.

IMG_0736 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

In fact, the wheels it has replaced a set of low spoke count wheels that were supposed to be light but the bike lost 2 lbs with the new wheels and gained much stronger wheels in the process.

Bottom line: Triple butted spokes greatly increase the strength of the wheel...about a 50% increase...while not adding weight to the bike. They are slightly more expensive but less expensive then replacing wheels often.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-12-18, 02:09 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

IDK after you have ridden motorcycles for 30 years cars are like hammers... You can have a fast hammer, but its still a hammer. IMHO, YMMV and all relevant disclaimers.

As to the wheels. The bike came with wheels.. If they have issues I will do something, if they don't I will get them checked regularly or maybe learn how to true wheels myself. Until then Like I said I will just ride knowing that I am over the intended load limit and avowing curb hopping and potholes. I will keep you posted.

This is my other bike:
https://bikemagic.com/bikes/kona-2008-part-two.html

Kona Jake not Surly : I blame my advanced age and hardening mind for stuff like that.