Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Two months in...

Old 07-20-18, 04:21 PM
roybatythighs

Bikes: Nigel Dean World Tour Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two months in...

Exactly two months ago yesterday (and at just ever so slightly under 60 years of age) I dragged my 1990 Nigel Dean World Tour out of the basement and started cycling again. I was about 240 lbs (I'm 6' 2") and decided now was a good time to get back into shape. On Wednesday I did my longest ride (28 miles) since 1976 and boy was I knackered, I normally do 10 or 15 miles. To my joy I have dropped over 20lbs and feel better than I have done in many years.
Old 07-20-18, 04:36 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Sounds awesome!!
Old 07-20-18, 05:27 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All I can say is YOU DA MAN! I’ve probably ridden 300-350 miles in the last 6-8 weeks and have probably only lost 5-7 pounds. That’s with very light eating 2 days a week, almost fasting. I’m trying to move below 200# for the first time in over 20 years. I’m basically the same age, and have found losing the weight quite difficult. I’m hovering around 210 and can’t seem to get rid of 15-20. Any secrets?
Old 07-20-18, 06:28 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Get up, get out...
the rest comes..
Old 07-21-18, 06:35 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
That's great, keep it up.
Old 07-21-18, 06:43 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Weight loss tip. Go on a long ride. and afterwards either fast or just eat what you would eat normally.

Creates a nice caloric deficit, especially when you're not all that hungry after a ride.

Doing this a few times will really speed up your weight loss.
Old 07-21-18, 02:48 PM
roybatythighs

Bikes: Nigel Dean World Tour Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
All I can say is YOU DA MAN! I’ve probably ridden 300-350 miles in the last 6-8 weeks and have probably only lost 5-7 pounds. That’s with very light eating 2 days a week, almost fasting. I’m trying to move below 200# for the first time in over 20 years. I’m basically the same age, and have found losing the weight quite difficult. I’m hovering around 210 and can’t seem to get rid of 15-20. Any secrets?
I'll tell you what I do , that seems to work for me.

My bike is pretty heavy (almost 30lbs) and I do push myself *a bit* (I start off thinking I'll have a nice easy ride but almost always end up going harder than I intended to) after most rides I am pretty tired , I don't go fast in absolute terms but I do try to improve a bit week on week. I weigh myself just once a week, some weeks I do not lose any weight which is annoying, but I'm thinking long term..

At weekends I mostly do a set of 7 to 10 one mile circuits (half uphill, half downhill/flat) I try and go up short hills (slight inclines really) in as high a gear as I can manage.

I used to eat lots of unhealthy snacks but have almost completely given them up (for now) , I eat porridge at least once a day, if I am hungry midday I may have 5 slices of Tofurkey meat (low fat high protein) , an hour before a ride I have a protein bar or a tuna sandwich from the gas station. I have a main meal about 8pm, some days pasta with veggies and fake meat, some days salmon with potatoes and veggies, sometimes a home made curry. Once or twice a week I do indulge in a take-away, rice instead of fries.

I ride almost every day - I did take 2 days off after Wednesday (I was exhausted). I rarely drink alcohol.

Weekdays I try and do 3 or 4 fifteen mile loops (one per day) on the flat.The longer loops let me build up a faster average which helps keep me going faster. I watch my average speed on a cycle computer but don't monitor my heart rate.