Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 07-17-19, 03:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by ProudDaddy
That was Lachlan Morton in the T-shirt, on his gravel bike. Hilarious. Solid racing from your son. Mike's Bikes kid rides collegiately for CU, and he was a beast in that race with his relentless attacking. But biggest kudos has to go to my teammate for getting the W.

This crit was the CO masters championship so personally I did 2 of those. The long back straight proved decisive as I was overtaken and lost my position just before the last corner and finished 4th in first race. I was stupid. Wanted that jersey. Second race cramps got the better of me so I was only good for a participation award.
Nice meeting you! I forgot - that was Masters States. One more race for junior, then it is MTB season. Maybe I'll see you at some of the ski slopes.
Yea, LM has no USACycling record.

Last edited by Doge; 07-17-19 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-17-19, 03:59 PM
Doge

I broke my last video camera right as junior was going to college. I bought a 4K replacement that runs HD @ 120fps. I started running in 4K mode, but found with moving the 120fps is better. It also has a super high FR, but you have to set that up, like a corner. Anyway I can grab pretty high res screen shots. I'm more of a recorder than artist, but it is nice to go back and grab pretty good stills.
Old 07-19-19, 07:28 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Crusher in the Tushar was last saturday. Was supposed to be one of my A races but I had a pretty pitiful performance. I came in Fitter, lighter and on a better bike than last year, but was half an hour slow. I'd been fighting some sort of illness going into it but thought I had it kicked after a few nights of good sleep. I still had a nasty cough and phlegm but thought I'd be okay.. What a mistake that was. Saturday was one of the hardest days i've ever had on a bike. Just no power and felt awful. Most of the ride is kind of a blur tbh. Ended up 6th in age group when I should've had a shot at winning and beating a friend.

I got to the dr on Monday and they told me I have a "serious sinus infection" so I'm on a pretty strong course of antibiotics to kick this. I hope I never had a race like this again..
Old 07-25-19, 09:27 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
I did the technical A crit for the first time last night. It's a half-mile course. Last year I raced the C, and some B. But had not been on the course for a year. Well, turns out I was not mentally prepared for the speed of the turns on this technical course and kept getting gapped big time. Small field of 10 or so. I ended up being dropped after one particular horrendous job on a corner. Eventually I was lapped. Two guys got off the front (the two Cat 1s). We had four of us in the crit. I ended up being able to bridge a teammate up to 2 guys up the road. Then it was 3 vs 1 of us in the groupetto (field?). We attacked that 1 guy, until he was dropped. Then the 3 of us on the team worked together to bridge up to the group of 2 up the road (which included the other teammate). The two up the road were 3rd and 4th on the road. So we did the final few laps in a 4v1 situation (except I was a lap down). Our sprinter beat the guy out. But the other two guys on the team couldn't beat the other guy. So it was actually a pretty fun tactical race, for being dropped so early. I ended up 7th. Unique situation where I actually finished higher than a guy who had lapped me. He was the guy we attacked 3 vs 1. After he was dropped, we accelerated and I ended up lapping him back. And he had given up by then.
Old 07-25-19, 12:00 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
I did the technical A crit for the first time last night. It's a half-mile course. Last year I raced the C, and some B. But had not been on the course for a year. Well, turns out I was not mentally prepared for the speed of the turns on this technical course and kept getting gapped big time. Small field of 10 or so. I ended up being dropped after one particular horrendous job on a corner. Eventually I was lapped. Two guys got off the front (the two Cat 1s). We had four of us in the crit. I ended up being able to bridge a teammate up to 2 guys up the road. Then it was 3 vs 1 of us in the groupetto (field?). We attacked that 1 guy, until he was dropped. Then the 3 of us on the team worked together to bridge up to the group of 2 up the road (which included the other teammate). The two up the road were 3rd and 4th on the road. So we did the final few laps in a 4v1 situation (except I was a lap down). Our sprinter beat the guy out. But the other two guys on the team couldn't beat the other guy. So it was actually a pretty fun tactical race, for being dropped so early. I ended up 7th. Unique situation where I actually finished higher than a guy who had lapped me. He was the guy we attacked 3 vs 1. After he was dropped, we accelerated and I ended up lapping him back. And he had given up by then.
Genuine question: is it allowed (or considered good form) to get involved with the leaders when they are a lap down? Seems a bit suspect.
Old 07-25-19, 12:29 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Genuine question: is it allowed (or considered good form) to get involved with the leaders when they are a lap down? Seems a bit suspect.
Yes, if the leaders are considered the main "field". You many not get involved if the leaders are considered "off the front" of the main field. However, it is often not considered good form to use team work and beat up on a single rider in a 10 rider weekday training race unless that single rider is inordinately strong.
Old 07-25-19, 02:07 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by tobukog
Yes, if the leaders are considered the main "field". You many not get involved if the leaders are considered "off the front" of the main field. However, it is often not considered good form to use team work and beat up on a single rider in a 10 rider weekday training race unless that single rider is inordinately strong.
This is a question that I have studied pretty intensely. After I was criticized here on the 33 for participating in a bunch sprint when I was a lap done. I mainly do weeknight local crits. They do not pull riders. You can keep going until your heart's content. For example last night, I most have lapped one of the racers 5 times.

As mentioned above, if you are in back of the field (i.e. the largest group of riders), you may not help someone that is lapping you. I.e. you can't fall off the back of the field to help your teammate in the breakaway. If you are left in the race (i.e. not pulled), you are allowed to race. There are no restrictions.

Having said that, if you are lapped, you may get yelled out to go to the back. And other racers may get upset at you. For example, I've seen many times where I'm off the back with a small group. And the breakaway guys come around, and someone in our groupetto jumps onto the break. And other guys yell at them to stop. It's not against the rules to jump onto the break. It would be against the rules to help that break.

It also depends on if people like you are not. I was roundly criticized for getting being the 10th sprinter in a group sprint, being a lap down, on a weeknight B crit. However another person in this forum was a lap down in the state championship crit, fully participated and finished something like 3rd in the sprint, and you didn't hear a peep from a single person in the forum. I'll let you do the math on that one.

As a group of 4 riders in last night's crit, we were the field. The motivation for dropping the rider was two-fold: 1) we wanted to bridge up to the 2 riders ahead, but not bring him with us, and 2) we are fighting for every spot in the standings, because this is a team series race and a jackpot awaits the team that wins, and we are in first. And lastly, it was good practice for us to work together. I had never been in a situation like that. So it made it interesting and fun. And he ended up being the rider that had lapped me, but then I lapped back later. So I passed him in the standings. And plenty of other teams have used the same tactic on us.
Old 07-25-19, 04:36 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
This is a question that I have studied pretty intensely. After I was criticized here on the 33 for participating in a bunch sprint when I was a lap done. I mainly do weeknight local crits. They do not pull riders. You can keep going until your heart's content. For example last night, I most have lapped one of the racers 5 times.

As mentioned above, if you are in back of the field (i.e. the largest group of riders), you may not help someone that is lapping you. I.e. you can't fall off the back of the field to help your teammate in the breakaway. If you are left in the race (i.e. not pulled), you are allowed to race. There are no restrictions.

Having said that, if you are lapped, you may get yelled out to go to the back. And other racers may get upset at you. For example, I've seen many times where I'm off the back with a small group. And the breakaway guys come around, and someone in our groupetto jumps onto the break. And other guys yell at them to stop. It's not against the rules to jump onto the break. It would be against the rules to help that break.

It also depends on if people like you are not. I was roundly criticized for getting being the 10th sprinter in a group sprint, being a lap down, on a weeknight B crit. However another person in this forum was a lap down in the state championship crit, fully participated and finished something like 3rd in the sprint, and you didn't hear a peep from a single person in the forum. I'll let you do the math on that one.

As a group of 4 riders in last night's crit, we were the field. The motivation for dropping the rider was two-fold: 1) we wanted to bridge up to the 2 riders ahead, but not bring him with us, and 2) we are fighting for every spot in the standings, because this is a team series race and a jackpot awaits the team that wins, and we are in first. And lastly, it was good practice for us to work together. I had never been in a situation like that. So it made it interesting and fun. And he ended up being the rider that had lapped me, but then I lapped back later. So I passed him in the standings. And plenty of other teams have used the same tactic on us.
Fair enough. That would seem to warrant riding as you did. As you mention, what is considered acceptable is fluid and depends on the level of the race and the status in the pecking order of the riders involved. For instance, even if I went a lap down, it would be expected of me to be involved in the finish if a team mate were a lap up. Even if I didn't have a team mate, I might elect to string it out in the final laps just to keep the pace high and keep it safe. On the other hand, if you are in a break you might elect to slow it down to so you don't lap -- maybe you don't have team mates in the field or you would prefer a less confusing finish.

One of the interesting things about cycling is the constant push and pull between "what is allowed" and "what you should do" and "what you can get away with" -- all of which is filtered through the perceived status of the rider. Is it a good idea to drive it hard up the inside before corners in a crit? It's legal but it'll earn you a bad rep making it harder for you in the future. However, if you do it cleanly and safely on the last corner, no one will bat an eye -- it's just part of the game and it's the other riders fault for being too slow or failing to close off the inside line. So it just all depends.
Old 07-26-19, 10:53 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by tobukog
One of the interesting things about cycling is the constant push and pull between "what is allowed" and "what you should do" and "what you can get away with" -- all of which is filtered through the perceived status of the rider. Is it a good idea to drive it hard up the inside before corners in a crit? It's legal but it'll earn you a bad rep making it harder for you in the future. However, if you do it cleanly and safely on the last corner, no one will bat an eye -- it's just part of the game and it's the other riders fault for being too slow or failing to close off the inside line. So it just all depends.
I don't want to derail this thread, but suffice to say that this is pretty different from just about every other sport I have participated in. Rider status? Seriously? And allowing someone who has gotten lapped to affect the outcome of the race? Seems less than ideal...
Old 07-26-19, 12:13 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I don't want to derail this thread, but suffice to say that this is pretty different from just about every other sport I have participated in. Rider status? Seriously? And allowing someone who has gotten lapped to affect the outcome of the race? Seems less than ideal...
In a weekday training Crit, the rules are often way more relaxed regarding lapped riders, and people tend to let things go, so long as it doesn’t cause crashes.
Old 07-26-19, 08:41 PM
Radish_legs

Pulling lapped riders in weeknight crits would be a money loser for the promoters. It would discourage participation. Usually people who are lapped cannot catch on later and influence the race even if they wanted to. I could because my deficit was my technical ability on the turns, not a lack of fitness.
Old 07-28-19, 12:24 AM
Doge

San Rafael Sunset Criterium was tonight. This was the fasted crit I've seen. 29.7 mph 20 min speed. This was after dark with lights. That was new to me too. 100+ starters and a bunch of talent.

They were pulling anyone 10 sec behind.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-29-19, 10:40 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Did San Rafael in Masters 35/45 3/4s, and then in Elite 3/4.

Did a bit too much work in Masters and finished 4th overall. Super frustrating, and feel like I let teammates down.

Elite 3/4s just survived. Made my way from back of the field in to top 10/15, but with 8 to go started to fade back.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 07-29-19, 10:52 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Did San Rafael in Masters 35/45 3/4s, and then in Elite 3/4.

Did a bit too much work in Masters and finished 4th overall. Super frustrating, and feel like I let teammates down.

Elite 3/4s just survived. Made my way from back of the field in to top 10/15, but with 8 to go started to fade back.
I did not see those races. Did you think that was a faster than "normal" race?
Old 07-29-19, 11:13 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I did not see those races. Did you think that was a faster than "normal" race?
Definitely. Specially the E3/4. I PRed best ever 20minute power. Last 20 min PR I had was from Giro Di SF E3 last year.
Old 07-30-19, 07:55 AM
fredzyn2

Bikes: Foil, Addict, Speedster, Spark 29, Unit SS, Trek 8000 gravel, Aitken S4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I got to the dr on Monday and they told me I have a "serious sinus infection" so I'm on a pretty strong course of antibiotics to kick this. I hope I never had a race like this again..
Ah, the ruinous sinus infection. I would consider sinus rinse, especially if it recurs. I struggled with recurring sinusitis for years until getting a neti pot and using a xylitol + chitin sinus rinse. Be careful with antibiotics, always keep them as last resort. All of the little bugs in your stomach have a lot to do with how good your legs turn food into watts, and antibiotics can scramble all that up.
Old 07-31-19, 12:54 PM
cmh

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Tuesday night PIR 123, 4th/58. [17 x 1.9 mile flat laps on auto race track, points race with 4 hot laps and the finish] I made a break of 3 riders mid race that stayed out for 2 laps getting me a couple points for 3rd in a hot spot. It felt good to make this break because it was one that took going with 3 attacks and counter-attacks by various riders to get something to stick even for 2 laps. We were caught right after the hot spot and I tucked into the draft to recover. Towards the end of the race there were 4 (or 5?) riders in a break not too far up the road with just over 2 laps to go. I jumped with an attack and 3 of us got away and bridged to the break (it helped that we had an ex-WT racer as part of the 3 - he did more than half of the work to bridge). The 7 (or 8?) of us stayed away and I managed 4th. I felt strong, and definitely put all I had into this race. Maybe it was a boost from my altitude camp, but more likely a bit of luck going with the right attacks. This was my best Tuesday night race in a few years. By the way the fastest 20 minutes of the race was 29.1 mph by my Garmin.

Last edited by cmh; 08-01-19 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For cmh:
Old 07-31-19, 02:53 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
@cmh Congrats on the 4th. That sounded like a hard race - points race on a 1.9 mile auto track.
Old 08-02-19, 09:38 AM
robertorolfo

...I could because my deficit was my technical ability on the turns, not a lack of fitness.
What difference does it make? If you can't keep up with the leaders, you can't keep up with the leaders.

I'm still fairly new to this sport, but I'm getting the impression that for a lot of guys (and gals) this is simply a test of physical endurance and prowess that happens to take place on a bike, as if actual the bike riding is secondary or practically non-consequential to them.

Bike riding and handling skills should matter. It's like Lance Armstrong complaining that a fast descender is getting an unfair advantage, which makes no sense to me. If you only care about fitness and watts, why not just become a runner or do "crossfit games" or something?
Old 08-02-19, 09:47 AM
Radish_legs

What difference does it make? If you can't keep up with the leaders, you can't keep up with the leaders.

I'm still fairly new to this sport, but I'm getting the impression that for a lot of guys (and gals) this is simply a test of physical endurance and prowess that happens to take place on a bike, as if actual the bike riding is secondary or practically non-consequential to them.

Bike riding and handling skills should matter. It's like Lance Armstrong complaining that a fast descender is getting an unfair advantage, which makes no sense to me. If you only care about fitness and watts, why not just become a runner or do "crossfit games" or something?
There's a learning curve that takes place with this stuff. For example, as the race went on, I became more comfortable with the turns at speed, thus when lapped I could stay on and even do a little bit of animation. Of course it also helped that the former pro and current state crit champion (40+) and the reigning winner of the cat 1 Tulsa Tough were off the front. That may also explain why I was able to stay on.

Racing is not just about fitness. It's about technical skills, and most importantly the mental game of knowing what to do what and when.

My prior point is that many people once dropped, if they catch back on when the guys come around again, they will soon be dropped again. In my case, when I was dropped, I was still riding pretty hard. I didn't just completely sit up and rest.
Old 08-02-19, 07:27 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
San Rafael Sunset Criterium was tonight. This was the fasted crit I've seen. 29.7 mph 20 min speed. This was after dark with lights. That was new to me too. 100+ starters and a bunch of talent.

They were pulling anyone 10 sec behind.
San Rafael was part of the USA Crits series this year, so a lot of firepower was there. But even when it's just a local race it's the biggest local race.

The Boise Twilight crit was also USA Crits and had a 31.5 mph average(!) speed. But that course is way more open and totally flat.

my race videos
Old 08-03-19, 11:00 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by mattm
San Rafael was part of the USA Crits series this year, so a lot of firepower was there. But even when it's just a local race it's the biggest local race.

The Boise Twilight crit was also USA Crits and had a 31.5 mph average(!) speed. But that course is way more open and totally flat.
I was kinda hoping to meet you. I expect we'll do this one more year, up to junior. This was more a trip to SFO where his sister is moving and trip to Santa Rosa to check out a fireplace. Of course I like to fine a way to do this around a bike race. Winner was a regular junior rival. He's always been good.
Old 08-05-19, 06:07 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Well, I actually did a road race thing (only 2 other races this year). Although by racing I mean just showing up and riding hard while getting lapped twice by the leaders. I did the Concord (NH) Crit, just kind of did it on a whim since I have family up there I wanted to visit. Thought it was going to be a nice day, but as we pull into town heavy rain starts coming down with some thunder. I was ready to pull the plug before it started but the rain stopped for a bit and we had a delayed start (but it eventually started raining steadily during the race and I was soaked). I was at the back due to lining up after a pre-ride lap, and the first couple of laps I'm feeling the lack of a proper warmup, and with it being a technical 6 corner crit it wasn't long before I was just getting in a good training ride, which was 277w NP (0.89 IF). I was happier to have made it through a technical rainy crit upright than anything else, and was able to use a the quarter mile uphill section as a way to get ready for CX season
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-05-19, 08:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Patterson Pass Road Race 4/5 45+ (2nd out of 21)

When we preroad the course it looked concerning; high winds on the descents and with my small frame (and being a terrible descender) I was 'concerned'. It also wasn't a climbers course; descenders had 10 miles to catch as the climbs were early in the laps.

On to the race. I wanted to feel out the course on the first lap (mainly to get a feel for the 1st descent). Luckily, no one took off on the first lap and was able to descend with the lead group. On the second lap I realized my only play was to bank time on the climbs and hope the pack doesn't catch me, so when another rider took off at the beginning of the Pass, I went with him and we traded pulls up that climb and the next (Flynn Rd). Unfortunately on the descent I cooked a corner and he got a gap and took off. I chased but couldn't get close than 5 seconds and he'd take off. I cruised in alone at second place.

Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-05-19, 09:28 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Awesome job.

You can definitely tell that the wind is whipping even on the podium, all the holes in the banner are completely open.
Likes For Flatballer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.