Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 05-10-19, 08:59 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
@Heathpack Congrats on the W. TTTs are fun.
Hey I missed the TTT portion of your post, not sure if you meant TTT or if it was a typo and you meant TT.

But anyway: I’ve really wanted to try a TTT but have never had the opportunity. I just got asked to switch race teams maybe a week ago, the idea would be to join the new team for the purpose of racing the State TTT. Sadly I’m out of town for a work conference that weekend. But I’ll probably make the switch in teams so that I can do the State TTT next year. Hopefully, if they still need someone.
Old 05-11-19, 06:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
I got asked to do TTT states with the elite squad this year (including @wktmeow). Gonna borrow a bike starting tomorrow and practice on it!
Old 05-11-19, 08:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Hey I missed the TTT portion of your post, not sure if you meant TTT or if it was a typo and you meant TT.

But anyway: I’ve really wanted to try a TTT but have never had the opportunity. I just got asked to switch race teams maybe a week ago, the idea would be to join the new team for the purpose of racing the State TTT. Sadly I’m out of town for a work conference that weekend. But I’ll probably make the switch in teams so that I can do the State TTT next year. Hopefully, if they still need someone.
Originally Posted by TMonk
I got asked to do TTT states with the elite squad this year (including @wktmeow). Gonna borrow a bike starting tomorrow and practice on it!
Good job y’all!

Sounds like amazingly exciting torture! Yessssss.

I can’t imagine how fast a group TT can go. I see stuff on TV, but still, you all rock to be able to do that.
Old 05-11-19, 08:30 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm excited, this should be super fun.
Old 05-12-19, 01:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Yeah, I'm excited too. Gives me something to train for!
Old 05-12-19, 01:46 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Doge - Puppy had a nice result today.
Old 05-13-19, 03:51 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
was at the same race as Doge's son (collegiate club nats). the road race was a mess. we made it three miles before an 80 person crash neutralized us for 30 minutes. i got taken out about 25 miles later when the guy in front of me overlapped wheels and hit the deck. bike and body were both too messed up to start the crit :/
Old 05-13-19, 09:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
was at the same race as Doge's son (collegiate club nats). the road race was a mess. we made it three miles before an 80 person crash neutralized us for 30 minutes. i got taken out about 25 miles later when the guy in front of me overlapped wheels and hit the deck. bike and body were both too messed up to start the crit :/
I heard the crit was a bit of a mess too due to the rain and slick pavement.
Old 05-13-19, 10:34 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah it sounded like it. i came back to atlanta saturday night rather than stick around to spectate.
Old 05-14-19, 11:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Opening round of the northeast hill climb series. This was a mass start, with an overall as well as age break outs. Shorty. Pissing rain, and wet snow (not sticking) at the summit. 5 of us shattered the field 1/4 mile in as the road kicked up. I sat third wheel, until it seemed prudent to move into second. The leader was the leader. He seemed content to be pounding out the tempo. I could hear my 50+ rival breathing hard, and we shelled him at the two mile mark. He clawed back when the road flattened, but we kicked the tempo up again and he was gone for good. The road flattened again before the left hand turn to the uphill finish and someone bridged and attacked. The leader guy was shot, so I slammed the big ring, dove inside on the last turn and out kicked two guys for the overall win by 2 seconds. First one of these I won the overall.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-14-19, 12:31 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Nice win gsteinb - and style points for the big ring finish! How long and how much elevation gain was the climb?
Old 05-14-19, 01:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by cmh
Nice win gsteinb - and style points for the big ring finish! How long and how much elevation gain was the climb?
oh, it was a little baby thing. I finished in 16:00 minutes.

I'm not good at finding strava stuff, but here's this

https://www.strava.com/activities/984406375
Old 05-14-19, 03:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
@gsteinb Congrats on the W.
Old 05-14-19, 05:55 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@gsteinb - It might've been short, but it looked painful! Good job!

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-15-19, 09:59 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Tuesday Night Crit last night B race (my 4th of the year) - 2nd.

Was in something like 3 breakaways, very taxing race, and poor awareness on my part in terms of what was actually going on behind me. But it worked out reasonably well. 2nd time in a row I have come in 2nd. Still have never come in first in this B race. But if I keep at it, one of these times it will work out. The video is the last 5.5 laps, with voiceover. This is my first race since switching from stem from 110 to 140, and putting on 38cm alum aero handlebars. Hard for me to know what the difference is with this setup versus me just being tired and not super sharp. In other words, my power numbers were not so great, my sprint not so great. But it was tiring to be near the front and following attacks the whole ride. But looking at the numbers again. 291w normalized for 40 minutes does indicate I think a fairly hard effort.

Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 05-16-19, 05:16 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Tuesday Night Crit last night B race (my 4th of the year) - 2nd.

Was in something like 3 breakaways, very taxing race, and poor awareness on my part in terms of what was actually going on behind me. But it worked out reasonably well. 2nd time in a row I have come in 2nd. Still have never come in first in this B race. But if I keep at it, one of these times it will work out. The video is the last 5.5 laps, with voiceover. This is my first race since switching from stem from 110 to 140, and putting on 38cm alum aero handlebars. Hard for me to know what the difference is with this setup versus me just being tired and not super sharp. In other words, my power numbers were not so great, my sprint not so great. But it was tiring to be near the front and following attacks the whole ride. But looking at the numbers again. 291w normalized for 40 minutes does indicate I think a fairly hard effort.

Nice awareness of the tailwind and timing of the jump. Did that well. Keep knocking at the door and it'll open at some point!
Old 05-18-19, 05:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Flat to rolling, but windy 64 mile road race in the 123 today. Goal was work for team and finish the race. Teammate ended up 3rd and I worked hard t defend the break away. Super punchy start and pretty fast overall. 26ish mph average. Good time had by all and my legs felt great for the first time this season
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 05-20-19, 08:23 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Crank the Kanc hill climb TT

a 21.5 mile ITT with the first 16 being 3% avg and the rest averaging 5.5. There was an 18 mph headwind (followed by a 40mph lead out and a max sprint of 52). I hit my expected finish time with 1.5 miles to go. Ouch. Still I rode IAB to the climb, didn’t carry a bottle, and was totally within target power. 40 second off fifth overall, meaning I didn’t get paid. Finished third on the 45+ behind a masters national TT champ, and a guy who podiumed overall at MT Washington. I was the first finisher not on a TT bike.

Third race ace of the season. Two firsts and a third. Northeast hill climb series leader. They are modest achievements for sure, but I’m pleased and at ease.

Last edited by gsteinb; 05-20-19 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-20-19, 12:50 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
it only took me 5 years but finally upgraded to a 4. Raced this weekend, upper half of the pack but should have had some more in me, fitness is good but not quite where I want it (to be fair, I'm doing base training for CX and start build in 2 weeks), so my climbing (Oak Hill in Harvard) was sweet spot instead of over threshold when it counted. On the bright side I was winning for about 5 mins on the first lap lol Also, just to state the obvious, but the coggan chart that is constantly misinterpreted was exposed once again, I did two 10min stretches at 285w (over 4w/kg for me, although I have an entry level allez) and I was not dropping anyone on the climb. I wasn't paying attention to power, but I probably should have up the climb and tried to do threshold (310w) to see what that would yield. I had lots of fun regardless of outcome.
Old 05-20-19, 01:13 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
it only took me 5 years but finally upgraded to a 4. Raced this weekend, upper half of the pack but should have had some more in me, fitness is good but not quite where I want it (to be fair, I'm doing base training for CX and start build in 2 weeks), so my climbing (Oak Hill in Harvard) was sweet spot instead of over threshold when it counted. On the bright side I was winning for about 5 mins on the first lap lol Also, just to state the obvious, but the coggan chart that is constantly misinterpreted was exposed once again, I did two 10min stretches at 285w (over 4w/kg for me, although I have an entry level allez) and I was not dropping anyone on the climb. I wasn't paying attention to power, but I probably should have up the climb and tried to do threshold (310w) to see what that would yield. I had lots of fun regardless of outcome.
I'm pretty sure 10 minutes straight climbing at 4 w/kg would drop at least a few cat 4s. Was it just a straight up 10 minute climb 7%? Cuz if there are any easier parts, or a headwind, or if it's only 5% and you are setting a 4 w/kg pace everyone behind you could be doing 3.5 or less.
Old 05-20-19, 01:27 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Crank the Kanc hill climb TT

a 21.5 mile ITT with the first 16 being 3% avg and the rest averaging 5.5. There was an 18 mph headwind (followed by a 40mph lead out and a max sprint of 52). I hit my expected finish time with 1.5 miles to go. Ouch. Still I rode IAB to the climb, didn’t carry a bottle, and was totally within target power. 40 second off fifth overall, meaning I didn’t get paid. Finished third on the 45+ behind a masters national TT champ, and a guy who podiumed overall at MT Washington. I was the first finisher not on a TT bike.

Third race ace of the season. Two firsts and a third. Northeast hill climb series leader. They are modest achievements for sure, but I’m pleased and at ease.
Jealous of those opportunities! And, continued good work on your part with your results!

We've no climbs here, it's a 4 hour drive. I've tried to organize some local hill-sprint group rides and all I get is laughter. I say hill sprint as the longest hills for anyone remotely skinny and strong is like 90 seconds to 3 minutes long.
Old 05-20-19, 02:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I'm pretty sure 10 minutes straight climbing at 4 w/kg would drop at least a few cat 4s. Was it just a straight up 10 minute climb 7%? Cuz if there are any easier parts, or a headwind, or if it's only 5% and you are setting a 4 w/kg pace everyone behind you could be doing 3.5 or less.
I did the same race but in the 1/2 field and I honestly hate that climb. It has punchy sections that make me sad and overall the gradient is lowish and dumb. Then you "crest" the top and it turns into a crit for a few minutes cuz it stays rolling and there are a series of turns you have to sprint out of. It is not the kind of climb where you can sit at a steady wattage, or really ride people off your wheel.

My race was pretty uneventful. 2 of our guys got in the winning break from mile 1, those of us on teams with representation let a few solo strong guys that could help the break bridge to it, then I spent 2.5hrs bouncing off of dude's hips and elbows. Notable events...I think it was determined that one of my vegan teammates could eat a person if the person signed a waiver stating they were consenting to it? Also I accidentally spit in a dude's face, which I still feel bad about cuz it was one of those Clif Blok camel slime things. Tried getting away with 15k to go with a solo slow roll but it was pretty short lived. With 10k to go the pack was exploding into various bits and pieces, and around 3-4k to go the guy in front of me whipped his rear wheel into my front wheel and nearly took me out, so in the interest of self preservation I decided I would sit out the finale and rolled in 10-15sec behind the last stragglers left in the bunch.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 05-20-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 02:24 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by aaronmcd

The climb itself was 2.37miles average 3% so it was a mixed bag of gradients (and that portion was about 8mins but there's a little downhill and another kicker that made up those 10min efforts I described above). I was definitely the beneficiary of some energy saving on the 2nd lap (252w). I think I had some bad wheels on the 3rd lap and wasn't in a position to follow a group getting away. I was just talking to the 4th place finisher and he did 3.86w/kg up the climb, which really makes me wonder where I goofed up. I generally feel fitness is king over gear, but occasionally I wonder if lighter gear would help me narrow the gap and save some watts.
Old 05-20-19, 02:28 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I did the same race but in the 1/2 field
Think I saw you at the school parking lot after my race (I think you were in the CB t-shirt, I was in red MRC kit). Sorry I didn't introduce myself!

Last edited by hubcyclist; 05-20-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 04:34 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Oh yep, that was me! Feel free to say hi next time, maybe we'll bump into each other at Purgatory!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.