Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are you still riding your Bionx... or have you moved on?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 11:51 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

The company has gone out of business. Their equipment was proprietary so batteries from other companies don't play well with the bionx motor or controller. My bike is still going strong but I can tell the battery is beginning to fade a bit. I really like the way it rides. It's a converted steel touring bike with drop bars... not a lot of readily available e-bikes in that configuration. I've started to think about what my next move is when the battery becomes unusable. I've read that the bionx battery can possibly be reconditioned... but at that point, is it better just to move on from bionx? I've seen some very nice mid-drive bikes. I've ridden a few - they have a very different feel than bionx powered steel tourer. Are the new mid-drives a big step up in technology and performance from the bionx direct drive?
Old 01-12-19, 12:56 PM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are interested in buying a new or lightly used Bionx battery or other parts, there is a company up here in Toronto that acquired many of their assets and are selling them. You can find them at: AmegoEV.

If the prices seem high be sure you are looking at the stuff in $US as opposed to $Cdn.
Old 01-12-19, 01:41 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
My retrofit is only two years old and going strong so I hope to get more service from it. That said, the original battery already has a shorter range than when it was new. I bought a spare battery, charger and G2 console just after the news broke last February about BionX.

I have a drop bar Bruce Gordon touring bike conversion, tweaked to fit me with hand made racks, so most ready made Asian flat bar ebikes just don't appeal. When my batteries are shot I'm not sure which direction to take... possibly a Bafang retrofit on the same bike but I'm put off a bit at the thought of replacing my quality Shimano triple crankset with a cheap steel, one size fits all crankset of a mid drive. Also, I'm now used to the seamless BionX torque sensor and the silent operation of BionX. Any other product has a hard act to follow.

There's an active BionX group over at facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2373...f=group_header

One of the members rebuilds BionX batteries. I haven't priced his services...

https://netherswholesale.com

Amego (linked to at above post) does not have any new batteries "in stock". Only used ones listed at their site. Ohm says they have the smaller 8.8 AH battery but not the 11.6 AH battery.
Old 01-12-19, 04:50 PM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
How is Elby still moving forward? I spoke to their representative at Sea Otter last April and he didn't seem concerned. Of course, that was early in the bankrupptcy proceedings. If it were me, I would try to find a way to retain the BionX conversion.

Last edited by 2old; 01-12-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 09:29 AM
BobG

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
How is Elby still moving forward?
An optimistic report posted by Court over at the EBR forum...

https://electricbikereview.com/forum...14/post-178538
Old 01-14-19, 11:19 AM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Interesting, thanks.