Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Aero bar arm pads for velo orange crazy bars

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-01-19, 11:02 PM
Leatherfeathers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The title says most of it but here are the details. I got these bars

https://velo-orange.com/products/crazy-bars

I got them because I really like the idea of flat bars (swept in this case) with uprights that aren't bar ends. I grew up with bmx and mountain bikes so I'm really comfortable with straight bars and I ran bullhorns for a long time on many different single speed bikes and loved them. I've been trying to figure out a combination of the two and I really like the way these have done just that. I now have an idea that having aero bar pads would be cool for hunkering down on long flats, climbs, and decents with the flats for more technical secrions. I already have the aero section built in but I'm trying to find a solution for having just pads.

The problem is that I need to clamp them to to the uprights since there is no room on the outside of the before they sweep backward. I feel like there has to be something that'll work but I'm having a hard time.

Also, I don't post on here much so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-02-19, 04:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
center cross bar looks quite useful to put the aero bar set on... forget the "uprights" (whatever you meant about that) just go with the crossbar..

I'm trying to find a solution for having just pads.
​​​​​​​keep trying..
Old 02-03-19, 01:00 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
These aero bars have elbow pads that are removable and clamp to the bar horizontally like on a flat bar. If you can make space there they are a $20 solution.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Road-Bike-Aer...MTB/6021279958
Old 02-03-19, 01:37 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
These aero bars have elbow pads that are removable and clamp to the bar horizontally like on a flat bar. If you can make space there they are a $20 solution.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Road-Bike-Aer...MTB/6021279958
I would love these to work on my Jones Bar but I think I would have the same problem as the OP. The clamps won't attach. These are slip on clamps and not two-piece.

I've been looking around the internets for the same thing the OP wants. Some clamps that hold the pads. It has to be a two-piece design.

Last edited by boomhauer; 02-03-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 12:32 AM
Leatherfeathers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
​https://www.thinglink.com/scene/498130131382960128?buttonSource=viewLimits

I found this for the Jones bar application. Having a hard time finding those aero bars. I would also need shims since the tops of the crazy bar are 22.2 diameter though I would rather not. I guess the only theoretical way would be to use shims on the tops.

Last edited by Leatherfeathers; 02-04-19 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Machined shims work very well ..
Old 02-06-19, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
I use my GC-1 grips, granted the bike the bars are on is not for me so size is way off but for the short rides I have done in that position it was fairly comfortable. You could try getting some thing like a set of Garmin mounts and cut some foam pads and put them on some plexiglass or something and then mount those backwards on the non-sweptback portion of the bars and they could be removeable.