Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Old 04-27-19, 07:30 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
E-bikes are just another way to cycle, especially for those that need the assist for various reasons. The only people against them seem to be the fully kitted "real cyclist" that hate the fact that someone with an E-bike can keep up with them.

Just let everyone cycle in a way that fits their needs, and quit whining about it.
I would say this:

I see at least 4-5 ebikers on my commute every day. They are as numerous as bicyclers. They are all significantly younger than I, and none of them look to need any assist. And I have never heard anyone anywhere make the claim that someone who needs the assist should not have it. Never.

Rather than vilify people who wear kits and go faster, why not ask WHY the wear kits and go faster than everyone else? Maybe it is because what cycling means to them is pushing their body hard to go as fast as they can and working hard to see improvements in their speed. For someone like that, an ebike makes no sense.

It's back to my point. Their view depends about what cycling means to them. And what cycling means to them is as legitimate as anyone else's view.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 04-27-19, 09:19 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I would say this:

I see at least 4-5 ebikers on my commute every day. They are as numerous as bicyclers. They are all significantly younger than I, and none of them look to need any assist. And I have never heard anyone anywhere make the claim that someone who needs the assist should not have it. Never.

Rather than vilify people who wear kits and go faster, why not ask WHY the wear kits and go faster than everyone else? Maybe it is because what cycling means to them is pushing their body hard to go as fast as they can and working hard to see improvements in their speed. For someone like that, an ebike makes no sense.

It's back to my point. Their view depends about what cycling means to them. And what cycling means to them is as legitimate as anyone else's view.
I certainly belong to the cycling-makes-me-fit club. I'll wait a while before I purchase an e-bike. However, once I have an e-bike, it will be used to supplement my existing bikes, it won't replace them.

Currently, I ride 3 days a week. Most of my rides are 15 to 40 miles with 1500 to 4000 ft of climbing. However, I really need to include longer rides with zone 2 effort. That's really not possible where I now live, It's just too hilly. If I had an e-bike now, I'd use it twice a week for recovery rides and building base miles. That's added exercise time that I'm not getting now.
Old 04-27-19, 11:04 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
Maybe the smartest among us are those that have an ebike for the purposes it makes sense to them (e.g. commuting) and a bike for the other purposes (physical goals).
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I certainly belong to the cycling-makes-me-fit club. I'll wait a while before I purchase an e-bike. However, once I have an e-bike, it will be used to supplement my existing bikes, it won't replace them.

Currently, I ride 3 days a week. Most of my rides are 15 to 40 miles with 1500 to 4000 ft of climbing. However, I really need to include longer rides with zone 2 effort. That's really not possible where I now live, It's just too hilly. If I had an e-bike now, I'd use it twice a week for recovery rides and building base miles. That's added exercise time that I'm not getting now.
You're just saying that because that means you are the smartest among us.

BTW, my cycling buds have come to refer to rides like yours X miles and 100X feet of climb as "square" rides.

Old 04-27-19, 01:53 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I certainly belong to the cycling-makes-me-fit club.
Passing along my wife's comment to the notion that with e-assist you aren't working as hard - she claims to still work hard in achieving a level of fitness, however in doing so she is now able to ride with me where without e-assist it would not be possible.

There are those e-bikes I've seen where the cyclists feet aren't moving and yet the bikes are still being propelled at 20 mph (or more). IMO these bikes don't belong on the road unless they have a licence plate.

Back to the post quote above, a couple of years ago on one of my rides I caught up to and chatted with a cyclist on an e-assist bike - he bought it from Staples (the office supply store) of all places. Anyways, while riding he told me his story - he was nearly 300 lbs when his doctor told him he had to start exercising. He said without the e-assist he never would have been able to cycle at all. At the time I met him he had lost considerable weight and was commuting to work on his bike - and hoped to some day ride a bike without e-assist. I thought that was pretty cool. So there's another reason to ride an e-assist.

I like Biker395's post above where he points out that we each have our own reasons to ride, whether it be a conventional or e-assist bike. For me the joy in riding is climbing, not fast, but getting there.
Old 04-27-19, 05:38 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Passing along my wife's comment to the notion that with e-assist you aren't working as hard - she claims to still work hard in achieving a level of fitness, however in doing so she is now able to ride with me where without e-assist it would not be possible.

There are those e-bikes I've seen where the cyclists feet aren't moving and yet the bikes are still being propelled at 20 mph (or more). IMO these bikes don't belong on the road unless they have a licence plate.

Back to the post quote above, a couple of years ago on one of my rides I caught up to and chatted with a cyclist on an e-assist bike - he bought it from Staples (the office supply store) of all places. Anyways, while riding he told me his story - he was nearly 300 lbs when his doctor told him he had to start exercising. He said without the e-assist he never would have been able to cycle at all. At the time I met him he had lost considerable weight and was commuting to work on his bike - and hoped to some day ride a bike without e-assist. I thought that was pretty cool. So there's another reason to ride an e-assist.

I like Biker395's post above where he points out that we each have our own reasons to ride, whether it be a conventional or e-assist bike. For me the joy in riding is climbing, not fast, but getting there.
Ding, ding, ding,... on the other hand, there are E-assist bikes where you have to pedal, and are thus a different breed. IMO and no, they are NOT bicycles per say, but they are E-Assist bicycles... get the difference you non E-Assist, and even E- bike people (who use the throttle)...???

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-27-19 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 06:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts

$3599 and you don't have to pretend to be pedaling/exercising. This will be my choice when I become unable to ride where I want.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-01-19, 10:17 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
One day, but not yet. My friends are making the switch. I think I still have some miles to go before I need assistance. I won't fight it when it happens though.
And I did not fight it.
A friend bought one, he let me try it on some trails and I was hooked. Purchased an E MTB the following week.
Yesterday, I took it on a trail that I would have not even considered on a normal MTB. Even with the assist, it was still tough going, many times I turned it off to save battery life.
In the end, I rode a route, that I would have only tried in my 20s, maybe 30s, but now, I feel I can do them all... again
And believe me; you pedal. I was constantly pushed to my limit.

However, I would not purchase an E bike for the road, the 25 KPH is just too slow (at least, not yet)
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-03-19, 05:54 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
There are all kinds of valid reasons for people to own e-bikes. an older gentleman at our LBS that closed had one and used it to commute to the shop every day. He wasn't very fit and it helped him.

For myself, the day will never come where I own an e-bike. But that's just my nature.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 05-03-19, 06:55 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I was passed by one yesterday on my commute on the bike path-no call out that he was coming, and it was a bit surprising seeing as how I was going 23 mph at the time. The gentleman was in bike clothes and looked pretty fit. He was turning his highest gear and going close to 28. I had to work pretty hard to get up in his draft, which I felt I deserved seeing as how he scared me. Not social at all over the course of the next mile when we both turned off.

I'm a big fan of e-bikes for their ability to bridge speed gaps between social riders and extend riding careers. Not so much so for hitting the commuting routes at close to 30 mph. That seems more like an ego thing, or more graciously, an important job you just can't wait to get to.

Edit: Never mind the above. This morning I got dusted by a kid on a single speed. I guess it's just me.

Last edited by tigat; 05-03-19 at 09:03 AM. Reason: new section, word change
Old 05-03-19, 06:56 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I decided to build a gas bike, and then subsequently, in my 50's, become a full time grad student at Virginia Tech. The gas bike sure came in handy after falling off my regular bike in the middle of the road climbing a hill.
No judgement here.
Old 05-05-19, 01:38 PM
goaliedad30

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
We got e-bikes last year. My wife wanted to take longer rides, but wasn't comfortable for the longer saddle time on her road bike. They haven't replaced the road bikes, but supplemented them.
Likes For goaliedad30:
Old 05-05-19, 07:20 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
I decided to build a gas bike, and then subsequently, in my 50's, become a full time grad student at Virginia Tech. The gas bike sure came in handy after falling off my regular bike in the middle of the road climbing a hill.
No judgement here.
WTF does this have to do with riding an E-assist bike that you must pedal and the assist cuts out at 32KMs/Hr...???
Old 05-06-19, 06:28 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Originally Posted by 350htrr
WTF does this have to do with riding an E-assist bike that you must pedal and the assist cuts out at 32KMs/Hr...???

There are actually a lot of similarities, and I believe that the original intent of the OP was that at some point some sort of mechanical advantage must be needed in order to remain on a bike as we get older.
My sincere apologies that my post offended you so greatly.
Old 05-06-19, 05:46 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I would say this:

I really like this. The people in funny clothing and the e-bikers are doing the same thing -- making choices that make them go faster. It's all about what cycling means to an individual. My experience with e-bikers is good -- like the roadies, they go fast. However, they are well-behaved. Cycling is a big tent with room for all.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 05-06-19, 06:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Defensive much? Most folks recognize that e bikes have as much in common with gas bikes as with actual bikes. Just because you can turn the pedals doesn't mean there has to be significant effort required. E bikes are fun and allow people who are no longer fit enough to cycle to enjoy being out on the road. Same as gas bikes or the Honda mentioned earlier.
Old 05-06-19, 07:08 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Pedals mean nothing in the eBike world. The only reason pedals are on them, is legal subterfuge.

Likes For BigAura:
Old 05-06-19, 09:26 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old friend who I rode many miles with back in the day... anyway we recently started riding together again and this guy was big back then, 20 years later he’s HUGE. The only way he can go any serious distance is on his ebike so I’m all for them. For myself though when that time comes I’m going back to dirt bikes, this time dual-sport.
Old 05-07-19, 07:16 AM
frogbiscuit

Originally Posted by BigAura
Pedals mean nothing in the eBike world. The only reason pedals are on them, is legal subterfuge.

That is sick. I would totally ride that to work every day. The only thing that prevents me from riding my bike (7 miles) is that there are some seriously dangerous roads that are 45mph. Even my gas bike isn"t fast enough.
Old 05-08-19, 06:45 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
I have an old friend who I rode many miles with back in the day... anyway we recently started riding together again and this guy was big back then, 20 years later he’s HUGE.
Old 05-08-19, 06:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
E bikes are fun and allow people who are no longer fit enough to cycle to enjoy being out on the road.
I've read many e-bike test reports. They start out by clarifying that these bikes aren't for increased speed, but allowing more distance or load or climbing for the less fit. Five paragraphs later, the reviewer is gushing about how much fun it is to put the controller in maximum boost and fly.

Old 05-26-19, 08:06 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love my Specialized Turbo Vado 5

I have cycled for years and still ride my Domane (and Bike Friday while traveling), but at 75 I tired of getting dropped on the hills and having others wait for me. In fact, it was clear my son, who is very competitive in duathlons, no longer enjoyed riding with me. My pedal assist bike has changed all of that, and on it I feel like I’m 45 again.

Specialized says in their ads, “It’s you, only faster.” The motor ain’t helping if I ain’t pedaling. If fact, if starting up a hill I am coasting, I will likely have to pull a 55 pound bike up that hill unassisted. And the pedal assist drops out at 28 mph, which is fast enough (although my son stills goes faster than me DOWN the hills.) I usually ride in ECO mode, instead of SPORT or TURBO, and I do get a workout, but granted not as much as I would if I were on my Trek.

Since I don’t “show off” and ride away from the group, the folks I ride with seem to enjoy my riding with them. Now instead of them waiting for me, they enjoy drafting off me.

The only times I have regretted riding my Turbo (which I have had for almost two years) is the three times I rode longer than my battery charge. But I have done several metric centuries on it and expect to go another one in the morning.

Last edited by Cychologist; 05-26-19 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Correct typing errors
Likes For Cychologist:
Old 05-31-19, 08:02 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
My wife, my son, and I just came back from cycling across Austria to Bratislava, Slovakia. We had miserable weather and strong headwinds almost everyday. Part-way through the trio we called our tour company and made a switch to ebikes. When you are trying to pedal a 40lb cross bike with panniers into a headwind in rain and 50 degree temps, you are not having any fun at all. The ebikes were great. If I ever did a trip like this again where I rented the bikes, I'd go for the ebikes. We still got plenty of exercise while reducing the unpleasantness of the weather. Here in the states I like to ride my road bike, and at 71 I am not yet having trouble getting up hills, but when that time comes, I'd get an ebike in a minute. We salvaged our trip by making the switch.
Likes For jackb:
Old 05-31-19, 03:51 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by jackb
My wife, my son, and I just came back from cycling across Austria to Bratislava, Slovakia. We had miserable weather and strong headwinds almost everyday. Part-way through the trio we called our tour company and made a switch to ebikes. When you are trying to pedal a 40lb cross bike with panniers into a headwind in rain and 50 degree temps, you are not having any fun at all. The ebikes were great. If I ever did a trip like this again where I rented the bikes, I'd go for the ebikes. We still got plenty of exercise while reducing the unpleasantness of the weather. Here in the states I like to ride my road bike, and at 71 I am not yet having trouble getting up hills, but when that time comes, I'd get an ebike in a minute. We salvaged our trip by making the switch.
That is exactly what I have been trying to get across to people here, E-Assist bikes make it fun to ride in difficult situations, and you will still get a lot of exercise, if you don't use the throttle and MUST pedal...
Old 06-02-19, 11:17 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I know that a pedal-assist e-bike is in my future. I'm delaying this day by increasing the regularity of my training by using an indoor trainer. I've also added a lightweight carbon bike with a 46 & 30 chainrings and a 11-32 cassette. But an e-bike is going to happen eventually.

Being active will always be superior to being sedentary. An e-bike keeps a cyclist active, pure and simple. Especially if you enjoy scenic, hilly routes, an e-bike will increase your overall health and happiness.

When I pull the trigger for an e-bike I won't worry what anyone else thinks or says. I'll still be pedaling and enjoying the great outdoors, that's all that matters.
I can sure relate to this line of thinking. Struggles with my health over the past few years seem to have stabilized, but I'm now a good bit weaker with less potential for really hard exertion than I had before. I'm still able to ride most any terrain I want, but I'm slower and I can't go as long. I can only keep up with riders who are purposely holding back so I can keep up. But I still love riding and I'll keep doing it as long as I can and I don't mind riding alone most of time.

The idea of getting an e-bike seems much more of a real possibility than it did just 2 years ago. I've just begun to read up on them a little and review the options. At this point, every time I start looking at e-bikes, what they can do and what they cost, my mind quickly turns toward my long left behind love for motorcycles. Right now I see myself more likely to supplement my bicycle riding with a dual purpose motorcycle like a KLR-650 or when I really start dreaming, a road bike like a Triumph Bonneville. I think an electric motored motorcycle would be fantastic, but I don't see that as an affordable option for several years at least.

So I'm not sure where this line of thinking will lead, but I'm open for whatever. For now, I'll keep riding my unassisted bikes. Next year, who knows?
Old 06-02-19, 05:40 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I know that a pedal-assist e-bike is in my future. I'm delaying this day by increasing the regularity of my training by using an indoor trainer. I've also added a lightweight carbon bike with a 46 & 30 chainrings and a 11-32 cassette. But an e-bike is going to happen eventually.

Being active will always be superior to being sedentary. An e-bike keeps a cyclist active, pure and simple. Especially if you enjoy scenic, hilly routes, an e-bike will increase your overall health and happiness.

When I pull the trigger for an e-bike I won't worry what anyone else thinks or says. I'll still be pedaling and enjoying the great outdoors, that's all that matters.
I am so close to getting a E-Bike. And like you I am not interested in what my old group ride thinks. I just know it feels better on those long climbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.