Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else ditch the padding?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-10-19, 09:41 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Tried the padded bike shorts and the padded underwear, and I just can't do it. Got a gel seat and just wear gym shorts.

Come to think of it, I don't wear the jersey, either. Looks weird, and I have to get a ridiculous size (like 4x) to fit, even though I'm not that huge (6'1", 250).
Old 04-10-19, 09:54 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 246 Posts
mostly I ride sans-chamois. if I bike to work it doesn't dry out in time. touring i could be in bike shorts all day, so again i don't like the clamy-chamois.

I'll usually try to dress appropriate to the group - so if my friends are on road bikes in full super hero regalia, i'll do that also. And I just got a new-ish Brooks seat I'm breaking, so I'm opting for padding for the first few hundred miles.

You might want to consider recumbent shorts - compression shorts basically - bike shorts with no padding. Should cut down on chaffing you get with gym shorts. Or exposing yourself as your baggy gym short creep up and get lifted by the wind.....
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/compression-shorts.html
-- These guys are great. I was after a set of chamois-less knickers, not the baggy pedal pushers, but tights - and these guys pulled two off the assembly line before putting the chamois in. Just really nice of them to do a special order at no extra handling fees.
Old 04-10-19, 10:57 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Originally Posted by mrv
mostly I ride sans-chamois. if I bike to work it doesn't dry out in time. touring i could be in bike shorts all day, so again i don't like the clamy-chamois.

I'll usually try to dress appropriate to the group - so if my friends are on road bikes in full super hero regalia, i'll do that also. And I just got a new-ish Brooks seat I'm breaking, so I'm opting for padding for the first few hundred miles.

You might want to consider recumbent shorts - compression shorts basically - bike shorts with no padding. Should cut down on chaffing you get with gym shorts. Or exposing yourself as your baggy gym short creep up and get lifted by the wind.....
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/compression-shorts.html
-- These guys are great. I was after a set of chamois-less knickers, not the baggy pedal pushers, but tights - and these guys pulled two off the assembly line before putting the chamois in. Just really nice of them to do a special order at no extra handling fees.
That's a great idea, thanks. Sometimes I wear boxer briefs under the gym shorts, but have not considered the compression shorts.
Old 04-10-19, 11:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
yeah I use a leather brooks saddle & thin lined tri-shorts (no "padding") under cycling pants or MTB shorts. the thin liner provides some moisture management & the leather saddle provides the comfort. I ave to use XXL tri-shorts even though I buy pants w 38" waist. go figure

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-10-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 11:40 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
That's a great idea, thanks. Sometimes I wear boxer briefs under the gym shorts, but have not considered the compression shorts.
Compression shorts under gym shorts is the way to go
Old 04-10-19, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I just never adopted it.. stayed with lined but un padded bike shorts,
since the days of leather 'Chamois' in wool shorts ..

Old 04-10-19, 02:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,793 Times in 1,796 Posts
Depends on the bike. Saddle, handlebar height, reach -- everything that affects rider position -- will influence whether padding improves rider comfort or makes it worse.

One of my favorite saddles is an old Bell saddle with dense, comfortable foam and Lycra cover so it breathes and wicks moisture. It effectively serves the same purpose as padded shorts. It's comfortable all day with regular clothing. It's on my upright errand bike hybrid now.

On my road bike with firm narrow saddle I'll wear padded tighty shorts. Besides comfort and lower wind resistance from typical roadie kit, the skin tight shorts also prevent snagging water bottles and cages. Water bottles and cages usually sit a bit higher on the frame with road bikes compared with hybrids and more casual bikes. I can wear baggy shorts on my hybrid but those same shorts will snag the water bottle and cage on my seat tube. Same thing happened to a buddy on a ride the other day. We planned to stop for food and he's self conscious about the tighty shorts in restaurants and bars, so he wore his baggy shorts. We had to stop several times so he could untangle the shorts hem from the rearmost water bottle. He finally emptied the bottle and tucked it into his jersey rear pocket to get it out of the way.

One of my saddles has more padding and a pressure relief cutout. Padded shorts are too much with that saddle -- it increases pressure and eventual pain. So I'll use my lined but unpadded Aero Tech Pro shorts with that saddle.

My hybrid has a nearly unpadded saddle but with a split rear and flexible shell. So the saddle conforms and gives quite a bit despite the lack of padding. I can ride up to 10 miles on that saddle wearing regular clothes -- jeans or baggies. But for longer rides I'll wear the Aero Tech Pro shorts as liner shorts under my jeans or baggies. The minimal low-loft, low-density pad doesn't show through clothing.
Old 04-10-19, 03:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Sometimes. Short rides and commutes, which are 25-40 minutes, it doesn't really matter to comfort what I wear. I have an unpadded saddle on my road bike and I'll admit that on 2 or 3 hour rides I do prefer padded shorts.
Old 04-10-19, 03:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Tried the padded bike shorts and the padded underwear, and I just can't do it. Got a gel seat and just wear gym shorts.

Come to think of it, I don't wear the jersey, either. Looks weird, and I have to get a ridiculous size (like 4x) to fit, even though I'm not that huge (6'1", 250).
Never tried padded shorts, I also just wear golf shorts and a seat pad.
Old 04-10-19, 04:16 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 417 Posts
Depends on the length of the ride for me too. I have an old pair of chamois shorts that only come out if I'll be spending more than six hours in the saddle, especially day after day (I tour a bit). I was recently gifted a nice Selle Anatomica leather saddle, my first time on leather, and it feels good with no padding.
Old 04-10-19, 10:11 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 334 Posts
Depends on how far. less than 2 hours; no padding. 2-4 hours; light padding more than 4 hours; the most padding I can get
Old 04-11-19, 08:32 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Depends on how you ride. I spend the $$ for the best kit and chamois I can buy, pro level if possible (just not pro 'race fit'!). The tight-fitting jersey doesn't flap around, and it's contact with skin helps wick sweat away and provide excellent cooling in my hot & humid climate. The Chamois, combined with the right saddle (it takes a while to find it) really helps for longer rides - or even shorter but frequent rides. I have a really hard saddle I think that would be miserable without a chamois. But that's just what works for me - I still kit up like I did when I was younger and riding a lot more
Old 04-11-19, 09:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Still using mostly old Troxels from the 60s and 70s, not really cushy but I just love the look.

I had a gel cushion cover once and it ate the seat cover?

There is one on my avatar.
Old 04-12-19, 02:58 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I've never tried padded shorts, so I've never given them up. Bicycles are more utilitarian for me. I just want to hop on and go no matter what I'm wearing.

I gotta have some padding in the saddle, though. Some of those seats I've tried feel like pelvis cleavers to me. Since I don't want to be impaled by my bicycle, well . . .
Old 04-12-19, 04:06 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I like wearing padded shorts sometimes. I do have 3x shorts and under shorts. I rarely wore jerseys, and presently only have 1 I can wear in public. Funny, it is a 2x Canari, and is more loose than my 3x Hincapie and 3x Blackbottom jerseys...

I don't ride in groups anyway, so no pressure.

At least I am losing weight, this is the 2x Canari... I'm down 10 pounds from this pic.

Last edited by zjrog; 04-12-19 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 04:11 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
'tried padded shorts from time to time, no real benefit, even on long rides. pad-less for me.
Old 04-13-19, 06:50 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
No padded shorts either for me. I just can't get into the whole "bicycle kit" type of outfit. I wear what I wear and have a nice Forte Softail seat (sort of dual purpose - road/touring) that is really really comfortable.

My classic 1985 Fuji Del Rey road bike, toe cages, 12 speed friction shifters, etc...
Nylon surfer shorts, lightweight sports shirt (from when I ran the 8K (5 mile) version of the Richmond Marathon), yellow mesh safety vest, and an old pair of Adidas sneakers (they seem to just fit with the MKS Sylvan pedals and toe cages).

Old 04-13-19, 06:42 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 960 Posts
I wear shorts with just a thin artificial chamois liner in the crotch area. If I need padding in that area, I'll get a new saddle. My current saddle has a small layer of padding, and I always thought the shape of the saddle was more important than how much padding you had on the saddle/in your shorts.
Old 04-17-19, 01:38 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I figure that the thickly padded shorts are a response to all the lousy plastic and foam saddles that come with bikes these days. I use Brooks suspended leather saddles on my bikes and for short rides (<20 miles) I wear anything I want (I commute in my chinos) and for long rides where chafing comes into play I wear bike shorts with a very thin synthetic chamois. The problem is that most of the bike shorts manufacturers have shifted over to ridiculously thick pads that feel like diapers. Ridiculous! Last I checked, Aerotech was the one shorts maker that had the option of a thin chamois.
Old 04-18-19, 03:03 PM
frogbiscuit

Originally Posted by ButchA
No padded shorts either for me. I just can't get into the whole "bicycle kit" type of outfit. I wear what I wear and have a nice Forte Softail seat (sort of dual purpose - road/touring) that is really really comfortable.

My classic 1985 Fuji Del Rey road bike, toe cages, 12 speed friction shifters, etc...
Nylon surfer shorts, lightweight sports shirt (from when I ran the 8K (5 mile) version of the Richmond Marathon), yellow mesh safety vest, and an old pair of Adidas sneakers (they seem to just fit with the MKS Sylvan pedals and toe cages).

Yeah I agree, the whole "bike kit" thing for me is kind of weird. I tend to wear fake under armour style t shirts in neon colors that I get at Wal Mart. I do have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes, though. I have had surgery on both feet (born with flat feet, ended up with some serious bunions) and the stiff sole seem to help keep my feet from hurting.

I am just up the road in Spotsy, we should ride some weekend.
Old 04-18-19, 06:16 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah I agree, the whole "bike kit" thing for me is kind of weird. I tend to wear fake under armour style t shirts in neon colors that I get at Wal Mart. I do have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes, though. I have had surgery on both feet (born with flat feet, ended up with some serious bunions) and the stiff sole seem to help keep my feet from hurting.

I am just up the road in Spotsy, we should ride some weekend.
Sounds great! My sister & bro-in-law and I all ride (my wife will ride - occasionally - but just a teeny little spin around the side streets +/- 5 miles at max. )

I laid out a map (from MapMyRide) that is up near Spotsylvania Co up around Lake Anna area. We want to ride it this summer sometime. I used to have my dad's old 1975 Mercruiser speedboat about 20 years ago that he gave me as he and my mom got too elderly to be able to use it regularly, so I hauled it to my house, fixed it up a little, and took my wife and daughters up to Lake Anna all the time and we'd go tubing and (when calm) get up on waterskis.
Likes For ButchA:
Old 04-19-19, 11:43 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have toughened up the taint enough that I only need padding on very long rides.
Old 04-19-19, 02:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 468 Posts
I hear one needs a pretty tough taint to live in Hapeville.

I ditched uncomfortable, padless shorts long ago. Now I wear shorts with the thickest, most luxurious pads I can find.

7Mesh MK2 bibs with Elastic Interface Space2 pad is like riding your rich uncle's 1968 Cadillac Sedan de Ville de Elegance. I'll be wearing them bikepacking on gravel next week.

Just felt like saying that.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 04-19-19, 06:02 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Gotta wear the pad

Trying to avoid any additional butt issues from life time of riding
not wanting the dreaded “pink sock” problem so famed in song & dance
Old 04-21-19, 04:34 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 370 Posts
I find a well broken-in Brooks B17 to be all I need. I can ride comfortably in jeans, shorts, or whatever, no padding required. I ride daily, so my backside is well-acclimated. On rides more than one hour or more, I tend to ride a bike with a Brooks Swift, which is narrower, and works better with padded shorts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.