Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will you ever go disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will you ever go disc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 10:53 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Sad thing is, cheaper bikes that normally come equipped with Tektro or own brand crappy rim brakes brakes will be the last to see an upgrade to hydro disc, even if they are the ones to benefit the most. For now road hydro disc is still somewhat expensive, but when the price come down and and bikes in the Sora and Tiagra segment move from rim brake to hydro disc, it will be a massive upgrade.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 04-22-19 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 12:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Why are some people totally opposed to hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes?
Complexity. You pull the lever, the bike slows. You need a PhD in nuclear physics to understand that ****.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-23-19, 12:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not really sure of the point of that SF? You can still buy a tape deck or even a record player too.
Point is rim brakes will never go away completely, nobody is being "forced" to ride a bike with discs, and nobody will be. It's not something to fret over. Rim braked bikes will be like record players and vinyl, they'll still be around and some people will keep riding them.
Old 04-23-19, 03:56 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
When I bought a new bike last year I found discs to be predominant on most bikes I was considering. After 45 years on Campy sidepulls it was a leap, especially after some early squeaky disc hiccups. Since I bought the bike, the Mid Atlantic area has seen countless rainy weekends. Normally I would have been hesitant to ride on wet roads, but disc brakes are a game changer and allowed me to salvage many weekends. The braking experience is confidence inspiring. No regrets here.
Old 04-23-19, 05:00 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The idea that everything moves forward solely as a result of necessity is an incorrect premise. In fact, many types of priorities instigate change and many having nothing to do with necessity or improved function.

That's particularly true when it comes to cycling where "style" alone is a high enough priority in the introduction and acceptance of new ideas and change.
Sure, it's why we now have CF frames, electronic shifting and 12-speed cassettes
Old 04-23-19, 05:08 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"You may find yourself aboard a 12 speed carbon fiber bike with electronic shifting and disc brakes
You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?"
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-23-19, 05:15 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"You may find yourself aboard a 12 speed carbon fiber bike with electronic shifting and disc brakes
Perfect! This is not my beautiful wife, this is not my Di2 disc equipped bike...
Old 04-23-19, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Ev'rything looks impressive
Do not be deceived
You don't have to wait for more instructions
No one makes a monkey out of me
Old 04-23-19, 05:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
"Arm me with harmony."
Old 04-23-19, 06:07 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I ride a vintage bike with downtube friction shifters. In all probability, I'll continue with that until I'm too old and feeble to continue riding. So I'm really not seeing disc brakes in my future.
Old 04-23-19, 06:31 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
I'm currently building a new bike with hydro discs, I've never used them before but have lost confidence with my rim-brakes as they've melted for me before and they're awful in the rain.
Old 04-23-19, 07:32 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Major mfg's aside
Who here honestly believes there will be no rim brake options for years to come
Seriously ?
Trek has removed all rim brakes from next years lineup.
Old 04-23-19, 08:49 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Trek has removed all rim brakes from next years lineup.
Wow really? That's interesting considering they made this year's Madone with both versions, and seemed to make a point about giving people options.
Old 04-23-19, 09:39 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Wow really? That's interesting considering they made this year's Madone with both versions, and seemed to make a point about giving people options.
According to the local Trek Store, gone. I have only seen one rim brake Madone which was from a guy who wanted to build the bike up with Campy. I bet it is not a big seller.
Old 04-23-19, 10:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Why are some people totally opposed to hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes?

Weight? That is really the only issue that can't be denied, but is the weight difference a real problem?
Heavier, less aero, requires a heavier fork, more expensive, and uglier. But other than that, sure great.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-23-19, 10:20 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I've had a Trek Domane SLDisc 5 for almost a year now. My wife has the next model up. Already I"ve have had to fiddle with brake adjustments more than I've had to do with any previous bikes with rim brakes. To be honest with myself, I simply do not notice superior braking power with discs. I've never had a problem with rim brakes, so the discs are overkill for me. The only advantage to me is that the discs allow for wider tires, and I definitely like that. My bike has 32s, which I much prefer to narrower tires, but as far as stopping is concerned, the differences are lost on me. I prefer simple over complicated, so in the long run I prefer rim brakes. Why couldn't manufacturers come up with a rim brake that allowed for wider tire? I'm sure such a thing is possible. I prefer minimum maintenance on my bikes, and hydraulic brakes are a move away from that.
Old 04-23-19, 10:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by caloso
Heavier, less aero, requires a heavier fork, more expensive, and uglier. But other than that, sure great.
If your #1 priority is looking at your brakes instead of stopping your bike with them, sure.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Will I ever go disc? Yes.
After a bout of super lame 160mm rotors & OEM garbage Tektro, I was ready to swear them off forever. But then I upgraded to 180mm rotors & I could see a glimpse of promise to the whole idea. So I then upgraded to Avid BB7's calipers. Then again to TRP Spyres calipers. Then finally to 180mm RT99 XTR Icetech rotors.

OMFG! That's what "stopping" is all about.

Currently, I'm getting a 26 inch wheel travel bike built with a 180mm Icetech rotor in front, 180mm Rohloff proprietary rotor in the rear & TRP Spyre calipers all the way around. Being S&S coupled sort of dictates cable operated, but at a nominal weight of 300 pounds of person, camping gear + bike, I see no problem going down 20% logging road grades or mountain passes indefinitely & keeping it all at a safe speed.

The second biggest benefit (for us all weather riders) is not needing to buy rims every 2 years. Dynamo's & Rohloffs get expensive being laced into new hoops when a disk swap is <$100
Likes For base2:
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by indyfabz
"Arm me with harmony."
Old 04-23-19, 10:55 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I love new tech. Carbon is great. Clipless, electronic shifting and brifters too.

I absolutely will buy a road bike with discs when it meets the following criteria:

1. The disc setup, including the frame and fork is lighter than an equivalent level rim brake setup. I make it a point of buying new stuff only if it is lighter than my previous. Par is now 15.5 pounds; I love lightweight gear.

2. The rear stay spacing is no greater than 130mm. I don't want heel strikes or having to increase my crankset q-factor. Cranksets are too wide and biomechanically inefficient already.

3. No PITA thru-axles. First thing I do when I get a new fork is grind the #@^±»!! lawyer tabs off, so the quick release operates like it should. You flip the lever, and the wheel drops out.

Otherwise I wholeheartedly welcome disks.
Old 04-23-19, 10:56 AM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I've had a Trek Domane SLDisc 5 for almost a year now. My wife has the next model up. Already I"ve have had to fiddle with brake adjustments more than I've had to do with any previous bikes with rim brakes. To be honest with myself, I simply do not notice superior braking power with discs. I've never had a problem with rim brakes, so the discs are overkill for me. The only advantage to me is that the discs allow for wider tires, and I definitely like that. My bike has 32s, which I much prefer to narrower tires, but as far as stopping is concerned, the differences are lost on me. I prefer simple over complicated, so in the long run I prefer rim brakes. Why couldn't manufacturers come up with a rim brake that allowed for wider tire? I'm sure such a thing is possible. I prefer minimum maintenance on my bikes, and hydraulic brakes are a move away from that.
From my experience hydros are great when everything is working and not so great when stuff isn't
I've had shimanos and formulas. And they all developed some weird problem within a year. The formulas needed bleeding every year and the shimanos had multiple problems. I basically got tired of it and went cable instead. Its very easy to fix and troubleshoot cable discs. I run bb7 on all bikes.
Old 04-23-19, 12:59 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
Will I go disc?

Yesterday. Picked up my SLR7 Disc. I have no opinion on them yet, but inasmuch as we live in an area with a ton of hills, I'll be interested in seeing if I notice the differences.
Old 04-23-19, 01:21 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have disc on my mtb and I have them on the cross bike...that is as a much disc as I really want. Road bike has rim, I like rim on the road.

So no, not on a road bike!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 04-23-19, 01:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
There have been good rim brakes that allow big tires forever. Mafacs for one. I ride Open Pro and Velocity Areo rims and can run up to 35s easily. 37s require small forcing. (All I do is pop off the bridle cable.) Of course, they are (agast!) center pull. I am pretty certain that 32c tires are doable with my setup if I use Tektro style levers with releases as well as the releases on dual pivot brakes. Haven't tried simple because 32s would be a tight fit on my two dual pivot road bikes.

Ben
Old 04-23-19, 01:41 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

3. No PITA thru-axles. First thing I do when I get a new fork is grind the #@^±»!! lawyer tabs off, so the quick release operates like it should. You flip the lever, and the wheel drops out.

Otherwise I wholeheartedly welcome disks.
Evidently you have never experienced them in action.

I guess you may right; Losening a nut 2-3 full turns is just so much more troublesome than dental work.

Broken teeth are so under-rated. I recommend everyone get them. I have 2. They're wonderful.

(Serious. I do have broken teeth from a bike accident.)

Last edited by base2; 04-23-19 at 02:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.