Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you share your interest in cycling at work.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-13-19, 06:46 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm a Sales Engineer and most of my co-workers are golfers, a few might also be joggers but almost no one is a cyclist. I'm certain that the majority of my colleagues think that only children ride a bike.

I almost never discuss my passion for cycling at work. Do you freely share your cycling hobby with coworkers? What is their response?
Old 06-13-19, 06:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Several people where I work cycle. We even have a loosely formed BUG (Bicycle User Group). So yep, I talk about cycling at work.

Actually a lot of people where I work are active in one way or another ... rowing, running, walking, hiking, the gym, swimming, etc. so on a Monday morning, it's not uncommon to hear people talking about their active weekends.
Old 06-13-19, 07:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
When I was working, yes. I wouldn't go overboard about it but I would usually mention on Monday where I had ridden that weekend. It got to a point where several of my co-workers would ask me on a Friday if I had any plans to ride. But I really never shared my passion (OCD) regarding cycling with them since I knew it was a personal thing and I didn't want to bore them to death with stories of me changing out a cassette that weekend or stuff like that.
Old 06-13-19, 08:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
gotta bring society into the future kicking & screaming ... be a leader
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-13-19, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Do you freely share your cycling hobby with coworkers? What is their response?
yes & it's no big deal
Old 06-13-19, 08:54 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'll admit it, I talk to cycling to everyone whether they like it or not. If somebody doesn't like it, they can fight me...
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 06-13-19, 09:19 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 541 Posts
I work for a small company (35 employees) and no one else cycles. If someone asks me what I did on the weekend, I'll mention where I rode but that is about the extent of it. Occasionally someone will ask a question about it and I'll answer but that isn't very often.
Old 06-13-19, 09:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have been the office chair of May Is Bike Month for the last few years and I have few cycling related items in my office. But to borrow from the traditions of another group, my public relations policy is based on attraction, not promotion.
Old 06-13-19, 10:00 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
I do. I have been a super charismatic cycling proponent for years at work. I do have to tone it down but if folks ask me anything, I’ll freely share...
Old 06-13-19, 10:03 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
About 10% of my coworkers are also interested in bicycling in one way or another. I am part of a group of three who regularly go out and do hard and hilly 1 hour rides at lunch. I'm the oldest in the group by far so it's a bit of a struggle to keep up, though my attitude is that keeping up with the young fellers keeps me young too. Luckily, we have a shower in the building adjacent to ours.
Old 06-13-19, 11:15 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Yes, and because of it, I got back in the saddle 3 years ago after a 20 year hiatus from riding. Last year I got my super and one of the co owners to join me in the local Ride of Silence. Now they're hooked on R of S for sure. My super does tri's.
Jon
Old 06-13-19, 11:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Since I've been cycling to work for 13 years coworkers sometimes ask me about it. I'm also well known as the "bike guy" and often do repairs for people, sometimes at bargain rates, sometimes for free. I've sold or given away many a bike to coworkers over the years, and have had a few given to me.

There have been a few people who have cycled to work here in the past, but none regularly, and none presently that I'm aware of. We had a small "ride on lunch" group going for a couple of years. We also have a "team" of 14 riding in the Tour de Farms MS charity ride two Saturdays from now. I'll be our fourth year in the event

I sold this 100% working bike to a guy on third shift for $10 this morning. Quite a bargain, I'd say:

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-13-19, 11:19 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Luckily, I work for the US government (there's a sentence you thought you'd never see!!). Lots of cyclists here, always comparing their Strava times. There are several guys in the office here that regularly compete even.

Not me, I'm a commuter, and I ride for fun, but at least we can talk about bikes. I'm also the odd guy out because they all ride standard DF bikes, and I ride a recumbent and a velomobile.
Old 06-13-19, 11:27 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,794 Posts
As little as possible. People at work know I ride, but I'm tired of the questions about how far I ride and the expressions of disbelief. There are a few at work who also ride, including one who regularly rides in the same group as me, and I'll talk to them, but I avoid discussing it with others. If they bring it up, I answer with as little detail as I can while still being polite.
Old 06-13-19, 12:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
I'm willing to answer any questions people have, but I generally try not to initiate a conversation.* I'm a convert, and converts are generally boring to listen to -- think of people who stopped smoking, people who've lost a lot of weight (like me), people who've started eating vegetarian or even (shiver) vegan, etc. I'd rather make cycling something people think they'd like to do (like me!) instead of something they need to pick up a phone and call someone to avoid the local bore coming down the hall.

*One and a half exceptions to the "Don't start" rule. 1. If I came in late because of a mechanical issue, I'll explain that to the folks around me. 1.5. When I get the "Aren't you scared someone will kill you on your bike?" question, I'm happy to explain that I'm alive today because of all the cycling I did, and so riding in the streets and roads is NOT going to cut my life short.
Old 06-13-19, 01:23 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts

I keep a MTB at work. Too far to commute. But I can ride around here some. Most know I ride, a few ask. I'm not insufferable with my discussions, but I don't stay quiet either...

Oh. The print of the xray showing my hardware from my 2011 bicycle crash is always out for all to see...

I could add, the overall group I work around, has tried to start a monthly ride. The first one fizzled, but I couldn't have gone anyway. Hoping the second, and others go as planned. They are trying to structure it much like their monthly "wellness Walks...

Last edited by zjrog; 06-13-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 03:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm a Sales Engineer and most of my co-workers are golfers, a few might also be joggers but almost no one is a cyclist. I'm certain that the majority of my colleagues think that only children ride a bike.

I almost never discuss my passion for cycling at work. Do you freely share your cycling hobby with coworkers? What is their response?
I have previously posted about cycling chat at work:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Personally, I find any discussions about cycling with motorists futile

When off the bike, e.g. at work they are usually pleasant, but vacuous, for example when I’m called a saint. When they complain, it’s often about cyclists riding two or more abreast, no lights, ninjas, etc…valid complaints IMO.

The most antagonistic remarks though that I try to assuage are taunts about what it would do to the driver if they hit me, most often spoken on the Winter when streets are icy or narrowed by snowbanks.
My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect.

I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging converstion.

One of the nicest compliments I have received at work is that I am credible, and I think my cycling reputation probably supports that image.
"Is Bicycling the New "Golf" and Then Some?"

I read this thread in the context of the above quotes, i.e. golf as an adjunct to career advancement. I took up cycling early in my adult life before setting out on my career path. When I joined my current organization in 1982, golf and tennis were those “advantageous” activities. Nonetheless, I think cycling was a career advantage to me, maybe because I was ***que.

Currently those traditional sports are essentially out of the picture (no more tournaments, etc), but I have several strong cycling colleagues. Indeed the organization held a three months fitness challenge this Spring, and not to brag, but my cycling brought me into third place individually, and our team came in first.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-19-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 05:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I worked for and with "Golf Bores" for many years and didn't reply to the "What did you do this weekend" non-question beyond a brief polite non-insider-cyclist response, no point in adding to the boredom.
If anyone saw me cycle to work on the weekend or doing laps in full kit in the middle of the night on the corporate campus while waiting for a system update and testing to be completed it never came up in conversation at lunch with my peers, although the security guys thought it was weird. I was "volunteered" by HR to ride the bike leg of a mixed gender charity relay format triathlon for several years for their largely ignored Wellness Campaign. At least it wasn't corporate golf yet again.

If someone else rode their bike to work, good for them.
If in my department, same as anyone else who arrived by any other means: Be on time and ready to work.

-Bandera
Old 06-13-19, 05:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Absolutely I do - but it's easy because cycling is encouraged and supported at my workpace. We have a secure covered lockup area, showers and a bike repair station with tools and supplies.

Bike to Work Week is a big thing here as well, I'm co-captain of our workplace team and all workers are encouraged to participate. The boss rides in when possible and several other managers do the same.
Old 06-13-19, 05:41 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Not really. It's just how I get to work. It would be like sharing about the subway.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 06-13-19, 05:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I worked for and with "Golf Bores" for many years and didn't reply to the "What did you do this weekend" non-question beyond a brief polite non-insider-cyclist response, no point in adding to the boredom.
If anyone saw me cycle to work on the weekend or doing laps in full kit in the middle of the night on the corporate campus while waiting for a system update and testing to be completed it never came up in conversation at lunch with my peers, although the security guys thought it was weird. I was "volunteered" by HR to ride the bike leg of a mixed gender charity relay format triathlon for several years for their largely ignored Wellness Campaign. At least it wasn't corporate golf yet again.

If someone else rode their bike to work, good for them.
If in my department, same as anyone else who arrived by any other means: Be on time and ready to work.

-Bandera
A few of my co-workers know that I race, but if it comes up the conversation usually goes "Oh, my friend/neighbor/cousin races! He does the Whatever Century every year! Do you do that race?" And then I have to explain that centuries aren't races but yes that's a long way to ride and it's quite an achievement, yadda yadda yadda.

Or, "Are you excited to do the Amgen tour?" And then I have to explain that although I would love to race the Tour of California, it's not open to 45+ Cat 3's.
Old 06-13-19, 06:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have to explain ...... And then I have to explain
Yep, I found that by just politely sliding out of conversations by well meaning associates who are being nice and supportive about what they think you are doing serves both parties well.
Cycling as a sport is so far from the mainstream of American life as to be basically unintelligible, trying to translate is like waving semaphores at geese expecting an intelligible "honk" in return.

-Bandera
Old 06-13-19, 06:43 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I have many coworkers that ride bikes. Some commute to work, some are weekend warriors, some ride hybrids, some ride centuries on high end carbon rigs, even have a few mechanic types, the whole 9 yards, lol.

It's great and I can strike up a bike conversation pretty much anytime.

I work at a university, which seems to lend itself to the bike community in all its variety.
Old 06-13-19, 07:08 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
A few people at work commute by bike to work. I share with them my weekend activities, bike shop visits, what I have learned.
Old 06-13-19, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 2,790 Times in 1,795 Posts
Nah. I might have mentioned it in passing but I've rarely found co-workers to have much interest in anything other than what they enjoy doing. Fortunately there's always that one guy or gal who fills the air with incessant chatter about themselves, so the rest of us are relieved of the burden of needing to share much about ourselves. The physical therapy clinic I'm visiting now has one of those, a chipper, chatty, clueless and mostly harmless receptionist who, as Douglas Adams described in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, appears to be one of those people who believe that the moment they stop talking they'll suddenly vanish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.