Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you share your interest in cycling at work.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you share your interest in cycling at work.

Old 06-20-19, 06:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Lol this almost sounds like Texas.
We moved in a brand new office building last year which has covered bike parking in the parking garage, a gym with locker rooms and showers and is connected to a bike trail. It is just perfect for riding the bike to work. But out of around 500 employees there are only about 3 or 4 of us commuting by bike. I don't have to emphasize that I ride my bike to work. Many people know. Some think I am crazy, some are jealous because they live too far away and many others are too afraid of riding because of the ignorance of vehicle drivers here. Commuting by bike is still a foreign concept for many folks here. But hopefully this will slowly change over the next years.
How's the commuting in Plano?

Except for some inner parts of Houston, this city has dangerous bicycle commuting opportunities. If I were to ride to my office, I would have to ride through a industrial corridor with freight trucks.

Years ago, the city put in bicycle lanes on two of the roads that go by the office I'm employed at. The trouble is the city just painted the lanes without widening the roads*. Which means that roads that could barely fit two freight trucks side by side before, had the lanes reduced to make room for a bike lane on either side. The roads have concrete curbs and no shoulders, so there is no where to run off to in a hurry when freight trucks come up from behind.

Needless to say, the bicycle traffic on these roads is sparse at best.

*4 lane road sized for freight trucks became 4 lane road with two bicycle lanes.

Last edited by FiftySix; 06-20-19 at 07:05 AM. Reason: detail
Old 06-20-19, 07:48 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by iowa mark
In very blue collar, right wing, Nascar lov'in, crew cab long box turbo smoker driv'in, NRA membered, Trump world northwest Iowa, my riding bicycles usually stop the folks at work cold. The response is either; have you got a death wish? Or, so, you're one of those tree hugg'in Democrats I spose? After the laughter dies down though, some of the bravado scales back and I find out that their doctor has told them that maybe getting a bike and riding it might help them loose that extra 100 pounds and stretch their lives by a few years. Usually that's about as far as it gets, but every once in a while the craziness is catching!
Watch out, us blue collar gun owners are everywhere!

Reminds me of some of the rides on my cheap mountain bike back in the 1990s. I'd roll out of my driveway with my Marlin 39 strapped to my back and pedal to the nearby sand quarry. A little fast shootin' target practice was always a good time.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-20-19, 09:21 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It's a unionized environment so I try not to listen to the morning muttering and grievance-airing 'cause it harshes my mellow I get from riding in to work!
Likes For NVanHiker:
Old 06-20-19, 02:28 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
How's the commuting in Plano?

Except for some inner parts of Houston, this city has dangerous bicycle commuting opportunities. If I were to ride to my office, I would have to ride through a industrial corridor with freight trucks.

Years ago, the city put in bicycle lanes on two of the roads that go by the office I'm employed at. The trouble is the city just painted the lanes without widening the roads*. Which means that roads that could barely fit two freight trucks side by side before, had the lanes reduced to make room for a bike lane on either side. The roads have concrete curbs and no shoulders, so there is no where to run off to in a hurry when freight trucks come up from behind.

Needless to say, the bicycle traffic on these roads is sparse at best.

*4 lane road sized for freight trucks became 4 lane road with two bicycle lanes.
Plano and Allen is mainly suburbia. I have 5.5 miles commute. About 2 miles on trails through the woods and 3.5 miles on neighborhood streets with very little traffic. My previous 8 mile commute was neighborhood streets only. If I avoid the time with school traffic I might get passed by probably less than 10 cars on my commute.
We have lots of trails in our area. Sometimes I expand my commute home by an extra 10 miles of which 9 miles are on trails. And a brewery in between. Long story short I never ride on multi lane roads. Dedicated trails and neighborhood streets only.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 06-21-19, 08:57 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
People from northwest Iowa make fun of co-workers and challenge their environmental and political beliefs for no other reason then they ride a bike?
People do that all over the country.
Old 06-21-19, 09:09 AM
big john

When I was working I also had to explain why I wasn't racing in the Tour of California, even after I was in my 60s.

I only bike commuted to work on rare occasions but the guys would ask about my weekend rides, they were just being friendly. One redneck guy would rant about how cyclists obstructed traffic while he was driving somewhere and how they were all gay and should be punished/injured/killed. Another guy who was usually friendly would start up about how he should be able to hit cyclists with his car if they got in the way.

I sold a bike to a friend's brother ( a 63cm CAAD5 ) and I took it to work so he could pick it up there. Several guys from El Salvador work there and 3 of them came by and offered me $50 for it. When I told them I was giving the buyer a good deal @$300 they were shocked that anyone would pay that much for a used bike.
When I mentioned it was too big for someone 5'6", they all said they could make it work.
Old 06-21-19, 11:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
The bike has become the golf course in many places. Tell your cow-orkers to get hip.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-21-19, 11:29 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone in my office knows I ride, even though I don't commute by bike to work (I live about twenty miles from where I work and I have not been able to find a bike friendly path to work, or even one that isn't life-threatening).

I occasionally offer to help colleagues repair or maintain their bikes, or more often their kids' bikes.

Working for the state dept. of education, I occasionally travel to various parts of the state. When I mention, "Oh, I've been here before. I came here once on my bike," I'll get some surprised remarks about the distances. That's about the extent of bike-related conversation though.

Last edited by Oldguyonoldbike; 06-23-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 06:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The bike has become the golf course in many places. Tell your cow-orkers to get hip.
FYA, I posted earlier on this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Is Bicycling the New "Golf" and Then Some?"

I read this [above-mentioned] thread in the context of the above quotes, i.e. golf as an adjunct to career advancement. I took up cycling early in my adult life before setting out on my career path. When I joined my current organization in 1982, golf and tennis were those “advantageous” activities. Nonetheless, I think cycling was a career advantage to me, maybe because I was ***que.

Currently those traditional sports are essentially out of the picture (no more tournaments, etc), but I have several strong cycling colleagues. Indeed the organization held a three months fitness challenge this Spring, and not to brag, but my cycling brought me into third place individually, and our team came in first.
Old 06-21-19, 08:19 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
People do that all over the country.
Uhh, no they don’t.
Maybe look in the mirror bro?
Old 06-21-19, 09:11 PM
big john

Uhh, no they don’t.
Maybe look in the mirror bro?
The mirror? What does that even mean?

You've never had anyone equate cycling with politics? Never had anyone assume since you are a cyclist that you have certain other beliefs?
I have and I have traveled by bicycle across the U.S. I've had people assume all sorts of things about me and my cycling friends just because we are riding bikes.
I wish all people were accepting and open minded but that just isn't true. Prejudice is a real thing. Not saying it's most people, or even a majority.
Old 06-22-19, 06:11 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 489 Posts
DFW is a excellent biking city with many dedicated paths and bike lanes on streets.
DFW and FW are almost connected now via bike paths.
Plano and Richardson are both nice cities for riding but work commutes depend on the actual locations.
Likes For joesch:
Old 06-22-19, 06:19 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The mirror? What does that even mean?

You've never had anyone equate cycling with politics? Never had anyone assume since you are a cyclist that you have certain other beliefs?
I have and I have traveled by bicycle across the U.S. I've had people assume all sorts of things about me and my cycling friends just because we are riding bikes.
I wish all people were accepting and open minded but that just isn't true. Prejudice is a real thing. Not saying it's most people, or even a majority.
Look in the mirror. Maybe it is you that is eliciting the comments. Not the bicycle.
That’s what that means and I guess I shouldn’t be shocked that I had to point out something so obvious.
Old 06-22-19, 06:44 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I almost never discuss my passion for cycling at work. Do you freely share your cycling hobby with coworkers? What is their response?
All my coworkers know. I try not to bore them, but it's only natural for any of us to talk about what we do. My one memorable reaction was at the end of a group dinner in downtown Heidelberg when I pushed back and mentioned that I was going to grab a share bike and pedal back to our hotel in nearby Leimen. This idea caused great consternation, and one of my life regrets is that I let my then-new manager talk me in to sharing a cab ride back to the hotel.
Old 06-22-19, 06:51 AM
big john

Look in the mirror. Maybe it is you that is eliciting the comments. Not the bicycle.
That’s what that means and I guess I shouldn’t be shocked that I had to point out something so obvious.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 06-22-19, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I retired ..
now I watch the old town being taken over by Outside people making it too expensive and
investing in Hotels and restaurants , with no concern for the low wage people doing the work,
being able to afford a place to live on the wages they pay them ..

and Walmart effect empty storefronts + housing affordability disappearing ..
Old 06-22-19, 01:30 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Good thread and a new topic. But watch the political content please. It’s easy for a thread drift.

Thanks

Stan
Old 06-22-19, 06:41 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
People from northwest Iowa make fun of co-workers and challenge their environmental and political beliefs for no other reason then they ride a bike?
Please reread my post before you interject your own blanket statement. Some of the judgements are made because of them knowing me and my leanings as far as social norms or political opinions, but indeed there are others at work that only see things through one lense. And I feel safe in including the far left as well as the far right, the religious zelots as well as the atheists. On the whole, most only know bicycles as RAGBRAI on the news again this summer or something children do until they get their drivers license. I am proud of the idea that some 66 year old can open their understanding that a bike ride might be something they can do. If you still question my opening statement, please take a look at the person we have sent to congress year after year after year.....Steve King.
Old 06-22-19, 08:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
Okay.. this is the second request to stop the political talk. The first post after the request is political. We have a Political section for this.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-22-19, 09:34 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
To the original question, I set up a Strava club for our company. We have a handful who have joined in.
Old 06-27-19, 12:19 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
You bet

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm a Sales Engineer and most of my co-workers are golfers, a few might also be joggers but almost no one is a cyclist. I'm certain that the majority of my colleagues think that only children ride a bike.

I almost never discuss my passion for cycling at work. Do you freely share your cycling hobby with coworkers? What is their response?
And in five years, at two Elementary schools in metro Atlanta, I am still the only cyclist.... :/

Most responses are evasive or nit pick my snack habits....
Old 07-04-19, 09:14 AM
plasticweld

Bikes: One I paid $50 for :** and three more I paid way to much for

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I miss out on all the fun. I work by myself and I have yet to figure out how to carry all my chainsaws and fuel for the equipment on my bike. It would be kind of fun to share what I did with someone else...even if it bored them.
Likes For plasticweld:
Old 07-04-19, 09:17 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by plasticweld
I miss out on all the fun. I work by myself and I have yet to figure out how to carry all my chainsaws and fuel for the equipment on my bike. It would be kind of fun to share what I did with someone else...even if it bored them.
At least you have Bike Forums to share.
Likes For FiftySix: