Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The reward is just ahead !

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-30-19, 03:56 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 442 Posts

It's always fun to go out on a nice rolling route, because whatever goes up must go down sooner or later. Not any real steep descents but a couple little rewards is always nice.
Old 06-30-19, 06:49 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Nice I like straight downhills.

Rode around and up Mt Greylock Friday got the work but not the reward of the downhill. North side steep areas and some switchbacks, don’t think I got above 38, lots of breaking.

Great ride though.

Last edited by Bmach; 07-01-19 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 07-02-19, 05:06 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach

Rode around and up Mt Greylock Friday got the work but not the reward of the downhill. North side steep areas and some switchbacks, don’t think I got above 38, lots of breaking.

Great ride though.
Haven't done Mt. Greylock in years, I used to love the drop into North Adams, I never did it from the other side.
Old 07-02-19, 05:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
It's always fun to go out on a nice rolling route, because whatever goes up must go down sooner or later. Not any real steep descents but a couple little rewards is always nice.
Originally Posted by Bmach

Great ride though.
FYA, I had posted to this thread, “Oh No! i just realized that i coast too much”
Originally Posted by zencalm
Wait! What's the problem with coasting? I think of it as my reward for pedaling long and hard. Plus, it's fun. I never realized it could be a problem.....
Originally Posted by CraigB
Coasting is not allowed among those who believe rides should be "sufferfests."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I often think the same thing when I find myself coasting, and as also posted above, using a cadence meter is a good motivator to keep pedaling. Furthermore if you track your average speed for a ride, pedaling downhill is an easy way to bump up the average.

As far as feeling "guilty" about coasting, I think to myself that I did have to pedal up the hill to be able to coast down, and maybe the respite is good for recovery. A saying of Ronald Reagan from the 1980 presidential campaign strangely comes to mind as I coast. RR said, "I paid for this microphone, Mr. Breen."

I paid for this hill.
I posted about my most recent mountain riding four years ago in Pennsylvania:
…I posted on another thread,
…Compared to the hills of Metro Boston, I consider that I rode over two mountains, shorter perhaps, but with grades as challenging as I had encountered in Colorado (but that was 35 years ago).
There were also some steep backroad hills, and I occasionally got stuck in too high a gear, saying to BD, “I gotta learn to respect these hills.”

The other terrains were pleasant wooded back roads, and a long stretch of unshaded farm lands looking very much like the rolling Midwest, but with mountains far in the distance on either side….

I don’t use GPS, and I’m not familiar with grades, so he would indicate how steep (%) were various grades. This was the first time I had ever looked at an elevation profile of a ride I have done, and since elevations were a key feature of the ride, I could re-visit every segment of the 61 miles...

We held together pretty well nearly the entire length of the Ride. At the top of the first mountain he said "I’ll see you at the bottom." Being heavier, I said, “No, because physics will determine arrival.” Well, actually fear determined arrival, because after about 30 mph, I started riding the brakes as they chattered. 34.5 mph is the highest maximum speed I have recorded.

I drove back to Boston on Sunday, feeling myself a much better rider than when I arrived, for conquering the mountains …
Old 07-04-19, 01:38 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
What speed did you top out at?