Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Ride Did You Do For The 4th?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-04-19, 02:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I rode the ‘76er. Still pretty warm and humid here in the Carolinas but high thin clouds made it feel better than the last week or so. Nice group. Most everyone ran out of fluids towards the end. The last rest stop was 25 miles from the finish and you’d think 2 bottles would be enough but we all suffered......and it wasn’t even hilly.

https://bikegso.org/Apple-Pie-Ride

About to start

Group photo at the start

Lining up at the start

Crossing the Dan River into Virginia

There were several hundred yards of graffiti across the bridge and everything in between
Likes For jppe:
Old 07-04-19, 02:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I rode 30 miles today. I finally finished up an early 70s Motobecane Grand Record that I've been working on yesterday. I completely rebuilt the bike. It rides great. I'm waiting on some Reynolds 531 stickers for the bike but it is otherwise complete.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-04-19, 04:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I rode to Mount Baldy Village. It's not an organized ride but hundreds of riders show up because the roads are closed to cars on the 4th every year.
It's about 25 miles to the village and gains about 4000 feet and another 1000 on the return trip. Weather was perfect, as was the breakfast burrito I had at the village. Very fun day, glad I went.

I think biker395 was there, but I didn't see him. Did see at least 25 people I know.
Old 07-04-19, 08:39 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I rode 30 miles today. I finally finished up an early 70s Motobecane Grand Record that I've been working on yesterday. I completely rebuilt the bike. It rides great. I'm waiting on some Reynolds 531 stickers for the bike but it is otherwise complete.

That's a beautiful bike. I used to have the exact same one and I sure regret selling it.

My ride today was a 40 miler, 4500' of climbing around the San Francisco area East Bay Hills. Beautiful day, though I didn't see many cyclists. However, we did run in to a german couple who had just arrived at the top of their last hill (Berkeley Hills) after riding across the US. They're heading into San Francisco tonight to watch the fireworks.
Old 07-04-19, 08:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
That's a beautiful bike. I used to have the exact same one and I sure regret selling it.

My ride today was a 40 miler, 4500' of climbing around the San Francisco area East Bay Hills. Beautiful day, though I didn't see many cyclists. However, we did run in to a german couple who had just arrived at the top of their last hill (Berkeley Hills) after riding across the US. They're heading into San Francisco tonight to watch the fireworks.
That's cool having all that climbing near you. Hills are scarce in central Iowa. I can get in 2,000 ft or so of climbing in my basic training ride. I have to head north and east to find good climbing up near the Mississippi river in SW WI and SE MN.

The TA crank on the Motobecane makes it easy to turn the bike into a competent bike for the hills. I'm running 46/36 rings and I managed to get the campy NR RD to handle a 14-28 freewheel. I'd like to track down a 34 tooth inner and that will help a bit as well but I'm already pushing the capacity of that rear derailleur near the max.
Old 07-04-19, 08:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Bald Peak Road, south of Portland. End to end. 42 miles and 2100' of climbing. (Highs and lows off maps, not GPS/cyclo computer.) Fixed using three gears. Low was easy but I did the steepest part on the 44-17. Feeling it now. 46-12 coming down was fun!

Ben
Old 07-05-19, 07:43 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I rode 40 miles yesterday on roads that to most would be unremarkable. They are the roads of my youth outside this small town. Despite having ridden in many beautiful places around the world, nothing will ever top the roads I rode on as a young man. I think the thing that's most endearing is the many occasions when I never thought I'd make it back. Now that I have, I'll never take it for granted.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-05-19, 09:31 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I rode to Mount Baldy Village. It's not an organized ride but hundreds of riders show up because the roads are closed to cars on the 4th every year.
It's about 25 miles to the village and gains about 4000 feet and another 1000 on the return trip. Weather was perfect, as was the breakfast burrito I had at the village. Very fun day, glad I went.

I think biker395 was there, but I didn't see him. Did see at least 25 people I know.
Yea, I was there! It was a beautiful day, and there were clouds of people yesterday.

I should have turned around that the Village ... the climb up to the lifts kicked my arse.

The starting group ...

At the ski lifts ... we all felt better after a coke and some chips.

Old 07-05-19, 09:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
I saw Bob, Ken, and Terri heading down as I was climbing. Also saw TJ later. I started at 8:00.
Old 07-05-19, 10:35 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
30 miles in and around Plano TX with a small group. With temperatures in mid 90s, 70% humidity and gusty winds we all were worn out after the 30 miles. But it was fun.
Old 07-05-19, 11:17 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,767 Times in 2,200 Posts
Down by the old
not the new but the old
mill stream
not the river but the stream
where I first
not last but first met you

RW&B for the 4th.
Old 07-05-19, 02:59 PM
Oceanblue

Bikes: Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Did 33 miles. Very hot and humid in Eastern N.C. yesterday.
Old 07-05-19, 03:32 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Chapel Hill to Saxapahaw and back, stopping off for coffee about half way. 71miles @ 18 mph average. Set off @ 6.45 to beat the heat. Nice solo ride
Old 07-05-19, 03:36 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I went 63 miles out early at 5:15 am so no traffic at all went right through town at road speed and no real stops. Manage to do only 1300 feet of climbing but it is the flatlands here but no stops and 18mph average speed. It seems I believe I have been able to ride 50 miles or a bit more the past 10 days in a row. I believe that is my PR for a week. Hopefully can keep at it as it is hot here but so far ok. I had options for rides but frankly for me I am a lone ranger almost always because then I can get out when I want and finish when I want. Group rides are ok but just to get out the door and on the bike seems the quickest way to get miles in.
Old 07-05-19, 09:05 PM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I rode the Firecracker metric century in Raleigh. I consistently ride 3 times a week but I haven't ridden in a metric for several years. I had no intentions of riding this year as I have participated in the ride several times in the past and although 100K is not such a long distance, it has always been punishing due to the heat and humidity. And yesterday it was oppressive! Also, I rarely ride more than 40 miles at one time.

A friend who is a really, really strong rider asked me if I would ride with him and I hesitantly agreed on the condition he ride a 17ish pace and do most of the pulling for obvious reasons. So I registered yesterday only to find out afterwards my partner was sick and wouldn't make it. I decided to ride anyway - I paid $45 after all.

The first rest stop was 20 miles out and I latched onto a paceline so we made it in one hour. I took a 20 minute break but couldn't find a group so I was on my own until the next rest stop at about mile 40 but I felt fine. Again I rested for 20 minutes. At about mile 45, I noticed my energy level had dropped a lot and I suffered up to the last rest stop at mile 50. I rested for at least 1/2 hour - my legs were weak and my neck was paining probably because the muscles weren't used to being used for that long of a period of time.

Most of the final miles were in the sun and although the hills were small, they were punishing. After missing a turn that cost me an extra 2 miles, I made it to the finish line. I think this ride matches the pain level I experienced in some of the mountain rides I did in the past. I'm not good in heat and humidity and yesterday was intense.

I can't say it was a good experience and even though I finished, I overly punished my body in the process which is counter productive health wise. I always stress my body to a point because without pain there is no gain as the saying goes but I wish I would have been wiser and rode the 50K. Didn't mean to write a book, but telling my wife, who doesn't cycle and can't relate, wasn't satisfying enough. I feel better now
Likes For Carbonated:
Old 07-05-19, 09:18 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 103 Posts
46 miles and ~2000' on the recumbent along with a tandem and two singles. We bagged the 2500' ride and did a parallel
less hilly one. Tandem pilot has been off his feed for awhile. Nice @70F at 7am start and topped out ~84F at ride end.
Plan to do a variant of the same ride in about 9 hrs. Yard work today in fits and starts. This time of year 6:30-7am starts
are the only way and ending ~11am to beat the sun/heat.
Old 07-05-19, 10:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,484 Times in 3,001 Posts
On the 3rd, 32 road/gravel miles on the 4th, grilled a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and drank too many Bud Lights. So on the 5th I hiked 12.57 miles in the hill country. I enjoyed the pictures y’all posted looks like you all had a great time
Old 07-05-19, 10:29 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
I did the local holiday ride for the first time in years and got dropped while getting a Strava PR on San Vicente Blvd. I rode my '84 Turbo. Got dropped again near the end of the 55 mile ride on a stretch that can be fast but never as fast as yesterday. Earlier in the ride, I met a out of town kid named Nadler? Who's father is Masters 55 US Champion. Turns out I got dropped while the kid was off the front and the rest of the group was chasing him. That Baldy ride sounds fun.
Old 07-06-19, 12:50 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonated
I rode the Firecracker metric century in Raleigh. I consistently ride 3 times a week but I haven't ridden in a metric for several years. I had no intentions of riding this year as I have participated in the ride several times in the past and although 100K is not such a long distance, it has always been punishing due to the heat and humidity. And yesterday it was oppressive! Also, I rarely ride more than 40 miles at one time.

A friend who is a really, really strong rider asked me if I would ride with him and I hesitantly agreed on the condition he ride a 17ish pace and do most of the pulling for obvious reasons. So I registered yesterday only to find out afterwards my partner was sick and wouldn't make it. I decided to ride anyway - I paid $45 after all.

The first rest stop was 20 miles out and I latched onto a paceline so we made it in one hour. I took a 20 minute break but couldn't find a group so I was on my own until the next rest stop at about mile 40 but I felt fine. Again I rested for 20 minutes. At about mile 45, I noticed my energy level had dropped a lot and I suffered up to the last rest stop at mile 50. I rested for at least 1/2 hour - my legs were weak and my neck was paining probably because the muscles weren't used to being used for that long of a period of time.

Most of the final miles were in the sun and although the hills were small, they were punishing. After missing a turn that cost me an extra 2 miles, I made it to the finish line. I think this ride matches the pain level I experienced in some of the mountain rides I did in the past. I'm not good in heat and humidity and yesterday was intense.

I can't say it was a good experience and even though I finished, I overly punished my body in the process which is counter productive health wise. I always stress my body to a point because without pain there is no gain as the saying goes but I wish I would have been wiser and rode the 50K. Didn't mean to write a book, but telling my wife, who doesn't cycle and can't relate, wasn't satisfying enough. I feel better now

Similar experience as yours. I’ve ridden a lot longer rides with a lot more climbing but the humidity on Thursday hit me hard. I only stopped at the 39 mile mark and really limped in the last 20 miles. It’s a good reminder to just keep downing fluids. I didn’t eat enough along the way neither. At about 55 miles I figured out I needed more of both but was too stubborn to stop at store????
Old 07-06-19, 05:31 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
My two best riding buddies and I met at 7 a.m. on 7/4 and rode from Albany GA to Parrott GA and back - 63 miles total. I rode 7.5 miles to the ride and then home when we returned so I ended up with a tad over 78 miles for the oppressively hot and muggy day (94 degrees, feels like 103 degrees, my Weather Channel app said! Whew...)

Then rode solo today for 40 miles, 25 of them on dirt roads. A lot slower pace but a great workout just the same! Lots of sandy patches that were dicey to ride through and several long sections of bUmPy SeCtIoNs that made my rear end sore!

160 miles for the week so far with everything with one day to go!

Gary
Old 07-08-19, 11:19 AM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Reminds me of my last century about 10yr ago. Took a wrong turn (missed the one arrow on the road) and made for a vveerryy long ride. At 72, I'm thru with century rides.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 07-08-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 11:31 AM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Hey, I read the whole thing. No apologies necessary. Of course, the fact that I also rode in this ride last week certainly piqued my interest.

I also missed a turn that knocked off 2 miles, but it must've been a different one because it caused me to bypass the third and final rest stop, and sounds like you hit them all. Yeah, it was pretty hot and humid, and the last few miles were a steady climb (which was very rude, I thought), so the conditions were tough, especially if you're not drafting.

For about 48 miles, I was fine. In fact, I had passed the pack I was in and gaining on another ''more suitable'' one when I missed a turn. I realized the mistake quickly and turned around, but it got me behind the pack that I'd just passed, and for some reason, no longer drafting, I became spent. Then missed another turn that cut off the 2 miles and the final rest stop. If I'd stayed w/ a group and taken the final stop, might've been a different story. Oh, well.

I still enjoyed it. Probably will do it again next year. Raleigh is a great community for bike riding.
Old 07-08-19, 03:12 PM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
July 4th

I just cruised Ocean Blvd in Rye, NH. Was sunny and hot, as the 4th of July should be, and beautiful, as that stretch of NH coastline should be
Old 07-08-19, 06:04 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I rode 25 miles on the Withlacoochee trail...had a flat and got rained on but still had a good time
Old 07-09-19, 07:58 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
I had to skip riding on the 4th. Disappointing because I had a choice of two or more group rides with various friends. But I had a bad reaction to a chiropractic neck adjustment Wednesday last week. Caused neck pain, dizziness and nausea, and spikes in my blood pressure from a vagus nerve reaction. It's happened before but that was back in 2001 after my neck was broken in a car wreck. Last week was my first session with a chiropractor in more than a decade, and may be my last. Let's just say I'm skeptical.

On the plus side I felt well enough Friday the 5th for a 55 mile ride, including 20 with a large group including several friends. That was fun, if exhausting from the heat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.