Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Guy Need Bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Guy Need Bike

Old 07-17-19, 06:42 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
New Guy Need Bike

Hello, just joined the forum. I have always stayed in shape but have not biked in 35 years, when I had a nice road bike and rode about 200 miles a week. I am 70 now and physical issues are reducing my ability to use running and swimming to stay in shape so I want to try riding. I would get an all out road bike but I need to ride completely upright due to back issues. If my body permits it, I would probably ride for at least an hour 4 to 5 days a week.

My research indicates I should get a comfort bike, though I am not sure about that. I live in the low country of South Carolina, with miles of paved bike trails and no real hills. I would only ride on those trails. Given that, I am looking at a Hudson Jamis Sport, which is in a local bike store, and a Raleigh Detour 2 and a Schwinn Discover, which I would get on line. I want to stay around $500 for now and would prefer to buy from a bike store but there is a limited supply of those around.

Given all that, I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions for both the type of bike I should get, and a specific make and model. Thank you.
Old 07-17-19, 07:15 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
The Jamis you mention looks to be more of a cruiser. Personally, I would stay away from the Schwinn.

If I were you I would hit as many shops as you can and ask to try various Fitness and Comfort bikes. The Fitness models will weigh a lot less and the shop may be able to setup the bike to conform to your upright riding position. They can install a stem that raises the handlebars etc. There are a lot of entry level fitness bike that I'm sure can adjusted to fit your requirements.
Old 07-17-19, 07:16 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I am also 70 and got back on a bike about 2 1/2 years ago. What I found was that as I rode I became stronger and, with the addition of some moderate stretching and exercise, I had changed my body enough to want a more road/flat bar bike. I think if you go too much in the direction of a comfort bike, reading your history of biking, you may find it too restricting or lacking in about a year. I would suggest getting on a few different comfort/fitness/commuter flat bar styles and brands and see what feels good to you. I bought a used Schwinn, that was beat, to see if I could even ride again but after just six months I bought a Cannondale Quick 7. Within eight months of that I wanted more and bought a Quick 3. All I am saying is what ever you decide to buy try to ask the sales people what can be done in the future if you want to upgrade or simply modify the bike in question. None of us have a crystal ball but wishing that you knew then what you know now can be frustrating and expensive.
Just my .02, good luck, Frank.
Old 07-17-19, 07:21 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 531 Posts
Another thing that I would like to mention to anyone getting into (or back into) riding is that you are going to run into some unforeseen expenses. I usually like to mention this when someone mentions they have a budget.

Helmet, water bottle and water bottle cage, pump, seat bag, extra tubes for the tires, a patch kit. Many times new riders will start to fiddle with and want to exchange the saddle for another version.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-17-19, 08:20 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Another vote for a flat bar or even an endurance type road bike (more upright) here. I have back issues, but leaning forward a bit (rather than being completely upright and forcing my weight down on my back) completely eliminates back pain. I also noticed this when I was riding my Moto Guzzi V11 Sport with a bunch of buddies on Harleys...they had to stop every 45-60 minutes to soothe back pain...I could stay on a full tank of gas if desired. Try as many as you can and buy the one that suits you the best. Trek and Cannondale have some very nice fitness/hybrid models, but above your price point.
Old 07-17-19, 09:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I met a guy this week that used to be a dedicated roadie in his younger days, but due to injuries moved on to comfort type cruisers.

The good thing about comfort bikes and cruisers is that you have a very good range of seat and handlebar height adjustment out of the box. That is, if the bike comes with a quill stem or adjustable threadless stem. Changing out non-adjustable stems is always possible, but it will add a bit of cost to the bike to do so. I'm sure many here have a few spare and unused stems laying around due to fit adjustment issues.

But back to the point, you can ride upright or leaned forward with just a few adjustments with a comfort bike/cruiser bike. My particular 7-speed cruiser started out seat low and handlebar high, but over time adjusted them to suit faster riding. Not racing, just faster than cruising. The good thing is, I can always adjust it back to seat low and handlebar high if I need to.

@spinconn, out of the three you listed the Jamis Hudson Sport appeals to me the most. It also makes me think of the Specialized Roll. I have a thing for bikes with a single chainring. Both the Hudson Sport and entry level Specialized Roll are single chainring machines.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-17-19 at 09:57 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-17-19, 11:14 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
At 67 going on 68 (too soon) I find my mtn bike very comfortable to ride, much more than my road bikes.

That Jamis Hudson Sport looks pretty good to me except I don't like the idea of a single brake lever. I can walk, chew bubble gum, and brake with two hands without locking up the front wheel :-)
Old 07-17-19, 01:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by gnappi

That Jamis Hudson Sport looks pretty good to me except I don't like the idea of a single brake lever. I can walk, chew bubble gum, and brake with two hands without locking up the front wheel :-)
Good catch. I'd have to change that or look at another bike, if it were for me.

I like two brake levers for several reasons. One is so that I can brake with one hand or the other while I wave with either hand at my adoring fans.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-17-19, 02:12 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
My daughter recently got a new Raleigh which is well put together so of the bikes mentioned, that would be my choice.
Old 07-17-19, 02:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
You could look for an older hardtail mountain bike, or even a full rigid bike. They're durable, can do anything you want, and you can put road slicks on if you like.

https://www.localbiketrader.com/bike-ad-o5122420267

Last edited by big john; 07-17-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 08:06 PM
spinconn

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Thank you all so very much for all the helpful feedback.
Old 07-18-19, 08:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
FWIW, I have never known someone who figured out what they "needed" and then didn't end up buying something else somewhere down the road.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-18-19, 09:27 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
If I were you I’d look carefully at the flat bar gravel bikes. Even though you mention paved trails this type of bike would suit your riding since the wider tires make them very stable. My suggestion would be a Journeyman FlatBar Claris by Salsa: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...bar_claris_700
Old 07-19-19, 06:15 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I am also 70 and got back on a bike about 2 1/2 years ago. What I found was that as I rode I became stronger and, with the addition of some moderate stretching and exercise, I had changed my body enough to want a more road/flat bar bike. I think if you go too much in the direction of a comfort bike, reading your history of biking, you may find it too restricting or lacking in about a year. I would suggest getting on a few different comfort/fitness/commuter flat bar styles and brands and see what feels good to you. I bought a used Schwinn, that was beat, to see if I could even ride again but after just six months I bought a Cannondale Quick 7. Within eight months of that I wanted more and bought a Quick 3. All I am saying is what ever you decide to buy try to ask the sales people what can be done in the future if you want to upgrade or simply modify the bike in question. None of us have a crystal ball but wishing that you knew then what you know now can be frustrating and expensive.
Just my .02, good luck, Frank.
+1

You may also want to find rental bikes similar to those you're interest in, and toss in an endurance road bike too. Rent them and ride them for a half day..see how things feel. Rentals are very inexpensive relative to buying a new and wrong bike.

Another option, just to get re-started in cycling, a used hardtail mountain bike(preferably without front suspension as old suspension forks are often shot) can be had for peanuts..with road slicks..they can be a very comfortable ride. Since you're doing flats..a little extra weight doesn't matter..much. A pre-loved hardtail will also have rack mounts. An Axiom rear rack (The Bikesmiths in Milwaukee..great prices) and a trunk bag..lots of storage for a jacket, sunblock, lunch, tools............
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bi...923006191.html
https://charleston.craigslist.org/bi...931175207.html
https://columbia.craigslist.org/bik/...936968549.html

If things go well..you can move on to another bike with more knowledge of what you want..and have the hardtail as a all-rounder second bike for paved and unpaved trails.
Likes For fishboat: