Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 09-24-04, 06:49 PM
netso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 61yo. I ride a Canny r4000si. My wife is 59yo. She rides a Canny r2000si. We ride at least twice a week, maybe 40-50 miles. We ride approximately 100 miles per week. We both eat well and take vitamin and mineral supplements. She also is taking calcium and chondroitin. I was a professional bodybuilder until I was 50yo. I have slowed down, but I must say my endurance is about the same. My wife has actually gotten faster. I have been riding about 50 years. I used bicycling as an adjunct to my bodybuilding. We both go to the gym 3 times per week, and use a tandem kayak frequently. We consider ourselves in pretty decent shape. However, it is tough saying how old you are. I (we) do not feel old!
Old 09-25-04, 06:56 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad,77 at the time gave me his GT hybrid that he had put 15,000 miles on. He went and got a CD R600 and rode till he was 80. After bypass he was a little iffy so got a specilized hybrid for awhile but had to get back on his CD. Rode 5 to 6 days aweek 30-40 miles.He didnt take anything. He was the same as when he started at 72 or so. Thats all he did,no weights or pushups. The big C got him and i got his bikes but all to small. He's why i ride. He had alot of balls.Had them when he was at Pearl Harbor when they got bombed.
Old 09-25-04, 10:19 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 54 and just got my 04 Specialized Sirrus about a month ago.

I take a multi-vitamin, for women, which has extra calcium and iron. Occasioinally I like some of those chewable Vitamin C tabs too.

I think my first bike had 16 inch tires and training wheels if that will give people some idea of how far I go back. Unfortunately I stopped cycling when I was in my mid thirties, a few years after my third child was born.

I live in the City, in a third floor walk-up apartment, so having a relatively light bike that I could easily carry up the stairs was a major factor. Just about all of my riding is on bike paths and in city traffic I've been getting out 4 to 6 times per week and particularly enjoy riding in the early evening through parks by the river.

So far my main goal is to increase my distance so I can participate in some of the local tours and knock off a few pounds that have accumulated over the years. I've been doing 10 to 20 miles per day at a very leisurely pace. Once I've dropped some weight and built up my muscles I'll begin to think about more speed.

Stacy
Old 09-25-04, 11:10 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So far my main goal is to increase my distance so I can participate in some of the local tours and knock off a few pounds that have accumulated over the years. I've been doing 10 to 20 miles per day at a very leisurely pace. Once I've dropped some weight and built up my muscles I'll begin to think about more speed.
Very impressive!
Old 09-25-04, 12:53 PM
slotibartfast
Duct tape won't fix that

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I ride a Bianchi Veloce and a Gary Fisher Utopia. I use the Utopia for rides with my wife and in the early spring and late fall when the streets get wet and crappy. I also use the Utopia for my trainer in the winter.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Pretty much just 2000mgs of Vitamin C and a Multi Vitamin each morning. Reading the responses here have made me think that maybe I need to look at some other supplements.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I do find myself wanting to take a nap while sitting in front of the TV at night. I'm still full speed at work, but slow down somewhat at home.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Biked a lot when I was a kid. Just started up again 3 years ago. It's given me a new focus on something healthy and fun to do.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, racing.

Mostly short rec rides. With my work schedule, I don't have a lot of spare time. A normal ride is 20 -30 miles. If I can get away for a while, I go about 45 miles.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I try to get out 2-3 times a week, but lately it's been about once every 2 weeks . Had company, a death in the family, inventory at work....it never ends. My mileage last year was 975. I wanted to hit 1500 this year, but it looks like I'll come in around 800.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Lots of lifting and moving stuff around at work. Other than cycling, I'll occasionally take the dog for a walk.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?

Just turned 52 in July. I'll bike a lot more during my retirement....whenever that will be!
Old 09-25-04, 02:33 PM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding is great no matter what your age is! Here are my answers to the posted questions:

I'm 52, and I ride a skinny-tired road bike, a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, and one of two touring bikes in my bike stable - a Bike Friday Air Glide, and a "big-wheeled" touring bike custom made by Peter Mooney.

On the vitamins/minerals front, I keep things pretty simple with a multi-vitamin and extra calcium.

On the whole, I don't think my age has slowed me down at all. This year my mileage is extremely low - only 1200 miles so far - because of an unfortunate crash back in May that pretty much curtailed my cycling. I'm riding, but only short distances, and I actually had to cancel 3 tours that I had planned for this year. I'm dreaming of next year for touring, and in the meantime I'm on my bike on the weekends and getting other types of exercise during the week.

I really like touring by bike. I initially started touring with touring companies (way back in 1989), and in 1998 I switched to solo tours carrying all of my own gear, and I have to say that I really prefer touring on my own. If you're interested, you can read about my solo tours at denisegoldberg.crazyguyonabike.com. And in a normal year, I also commute to work by bike, but I'm a fair weather commuter during the well-lit months - which typically runs from May to September.
Old 09-25-04, 02:46 PM
garywelch

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I'm a 55-year-old retired engineer.

I have a 2003 Gary Fisher Zebrano hybrid, which is comparable to the Trek 7200 and has the same frame. I'm tall so I bought the XXL (25") frame. I like a very upright riding position.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

None

I'm probably in as good shape as ever. I've always walked a lot but I have never had much interest in sports. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes bad enough that my doctor put me on insulin from the beginning. Now, through a combination of diet and exercise, I no longer need to take any diabetes medication at all. I wasn't considered overweight but I ended up losing 35 lb. My doctor retired and my new doctor had trouble believing I ever had diabetes until she looked at the old lab test results. Because of my biking and walking the diet isn't very restrictive. I have to be careful about my carb intake but it's far from a low-carb diet, which could be dangerous for a diabetic.

Until about four years ago I hadn't been on a bike in 25 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

I do mostly moderate length rides of 20-35 mi., frequently twice in one day. I prefer riding on paths, I live a couple hundred feet from the one along the Erie Canal. To the west of me the path is stone dust in good condition, to the east it's paved but in poor condition in places. I usually average 13-14 mph along the canal, which is about as flat as you'll find, especially to the west. I do occasional road rides with friends at distances up to 60 mi. and speeds of around 12 mph.

I ride nearly every day the weather allows but not in the winter and usually not in the rain. I usually don't ride on windy days either. I've ridden over 5000 miles so far this year, that's probably a little excessive and I expect to do closer to 4000 miles next year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I walk a lot, especially in the winter. I walked about 300 miles in February.
Old 09-25-04, 03:20 PM
lowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7200 and a Linear recumbent
Bunch of vitamins and meds for heart after bypass 2 years ago.
Feel better than ever and getting faster.
Very serious last 2 years as exercise but also because I enjoy it now.
At least a half hour a day ...hard. And weekends maybe 15 to 30 miles each day.
Every day ...at least 12 out of 14, year round. About 2500 a year.
Just a physical job.
Old 09-25-04, 06:24 PM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Trek Carbon/AL. Not bad Jamis hardtail. Brand new old steel Italian road single speed I just built up. Favorite ride at the moment.

Multi vitamin every day.

Tough to come back from winter layoffs, but once back I feel better every year. Love hills!

All my life.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
40-50 mile rec rides, commute, and trail. Trail might be done - see "Wake up call" post.

4 days a week. No idea of annual mileage. Took odometer off my singlespeed - just riding.

Weights, running, yoga.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
52 going on 90 (looks!); 52 going on 12(mental!)
Old 09-25-04, 06:32 PM
UncaStuart
Sophomoric Member

Bikes: Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 2000 Trek 5000 for recreational riding, a 1997 Novara Randonee for commuting and touring, and a 2001 Merdian Cascade tandem for recreational riding, touring, and commuting.

I take a multi-vitamin, and extra calcium to address potential bicycling-related bone loss.

I've only been back riding for the last 11 years (starting at 45, see next answer), and during that time I feel I have been getting stronger, or at least not losing ground in some cases, each year.

Had a used Peugeot in college, then a cheap Volkscycle afterward, but was pretty much out of the cycling mode by 24. Got back in at 45 when I started commuting, and gradually expanded to rec riding, tours, centuries, and the like.

Usually do between 6 and 12 centuries or double metrics per year, usually on the tandem. Do a lot of riding with the local club, with rides in the 40-70 mile range. Commuting is a little more complicated since our last move, but we try to fit it in, mostly on the tandem now. We've done the occasional seven-day ride, and some light touring.

Try to ride four days a week. On average, my annual mileage hovers around 5000 miles, with a high of 7100 and a low of 4400.

Biking has taken over most of the other activities; I don't backpack anymore, nor do we go alpine and xcountry skiing like we used to 10-15 years ago. We get a lot of walking in, and have morning weight lifting routines that we drag ourselves out of bed for. Hate it, but whatcha gonna do?

I'll be turning 57 in November; my wife will be 60 next March.
Old 09-25-04, 07:07 PM
sobercycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I 'm sobercycler,
I'm 52 will be 53 in January.

1. I ride an old 70's or 80's 12 speed Peugeot, think is a lower end one, has cotterless crank, 27" alloy wheels, weighs about 29 lbs. Just bought a 1983 Peugeot PGN-10 with virtually no miles on it today, weighs 22-23 lbs. Just took it in for an overhaul, can't wait to get it next week and ride it.

2. A multiple vitamin and one fish oil and one flax oil gel cap.

3. Slowed down? Heck, I quit drinking a little over a year ago and life has never been so good-speeded up if anything!!

4. Had a monstrosity when I was young with dual headlights etc, weighed a short ton. Commuted to school for a few months in my early twenties, had an old ten speed 15-18 years ago that I had a child carrier on that I would take the little ones for rides on, a mountain bike a few years ago for short casual rides, bought the Peugeot to get exercise to help in my recovery from alcoholism. So basically new to road biking.

5. I do short 15 mile rides, and some up to 55 miles so far, usually by myself just enjoying the scenery and life. Want to get in shape this fall and winter so I can do the Seattle to Portland ride next year.

6. Usually a few times a week, don't know how many annually, but I just got a computer on my bike and will be watching it!!

7. Jog a little, was trying to lose a few pounds on the bike so My joints aren't so stressed jogging and found I like cycling better than jogging.
Old 09-25-04, 10:48 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Very impressive!
Impressive? I feel more like a turtle on wheels
Still it's amazing how it all comes back and how quickly you can begin to improve.

Stacy
Old 09-26-04, 05:21 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Stacy
Impressive? I feel more like a turtle on wheels
Still it's amazing how it all comes back and how quickly you can begin to improve.

Stacy
Anyone who rides 15-20 miles regularly is impressive to me.

You are amongst a VERY SMALL minority of folks in the USofA - someone getting regular exercise!

Keep it up!
Old 09-26-04, 08:11 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1 Kettler Silverstar commuter/touring bike
2 No
3 None
4 Lifelong utility cyclist
5 Year-round commuter. Also use trailer to take daughter to day camp in summer.
6 Every workday -- about 2,500 miles per year
7 Downhill skiing in winter

Paul
Old 09-26-04, 08:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
1. I'm coming up on 62. I've pretty much always had a bike, but some of them were a little on the marginal side. Currently I have five to pick from I don't know the exact year of any of them:
A Klein Quantum Race, it's the last year for the Chahalis factory.
A Santana Noventa tandem.
A Bridgestone RB2, but none of the original components remain. My vision for it is a low maintanance road bike with bar end shifters and punctureproof tires.
The short trip beater is a Marin Bear Valley SE. It doesn't have any original components either.
My mountain bike is a Porsche FS. I haven't mountain biked in over a year. I still like the bike because nobody else has one like it.

2. I don't feel like I do anything special. I don't smoke or drink and I take an 81mg aspirin every day.

3. I ride prety much the speed that I've always ridden, but that's not all that fast. I'll generally average around 14mph for a 30 to 50 mile ride.

4. (see 1.)

5&6. At various times in the past, I've done lots of different things including mountain biking and commuting to work. Today I seldom do anything but casual or social rides. For all of the talking about bicycling that I do, I estimate that I only ride around 2,000 to 3,000 miles per year. I don't bother to keep track of my mileage.

7. Last fall my wife and I joined a gym and took spinning classes 3 times per week through the winter. It has proven to be one of the better decisions that we've ever made.

You didn't ask but, what's the big deal about being 50 or 60 or whatever? If I had answered the same battery of questions 20 years ago, I don't think that any of my answers, aside from what bikes I owned, would have significantly changed. That's what's real. To me, the biggest barrier that I face today is the unreal perceptions that people seem to have about what a fellow my age should be like. It affects me everyday in things like job availability, health care insurance availability and even what bikes the kid in the bike store is willing to show me.
Old 09-26-04, 08:26 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You didn't ask but, what's the big deal about being 50 or 60 or whatever? If I had answered the same battery of questions 20 years ago, I don't think that any of my answers, aside from what bikes I owned, would have significantly changed. That's what's real. To me, the biggest barrier that I face today is the unreal perceptions that people seem to have about what a fellow my age should be like. It affects me everyday in things like job availability, health care insurance availability and even what bikes the kid in the bike store is willing to show me.
The big deal is that to some folks it IS a big deal.

I am experiencing the same discrimination that you experience - and it is discrimination.

One of the nice things about this forum is that you read about 50, 60, 70 year-old folks for whom it is NOT a big deal - they do like you do - just keep going.

But, sadly, we need to make others aware that we are "NOT DEAD YET!"
Old 09-26-04, 09:04 AM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
...we need to make others aware that we are "NOT DEAD YET!"

And besides, the forum for bicyclists who are already dead doesn't get a lot of traffic.
Old 09-26-04, 01:34 PM
GeezerGeek

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 54

1993 Infinity Its a LWB recumbent

No but I drink less alcohol

When I was 30 I averaged 20 mph on short rides and 16 mph on long rides. (32 km/hr 26 km/hr)
Now I average 14 mph on short rides and 12 mph on long rides. (23 km/hr 19 km/hr)
Then 145 pounds today 185 pounds. ( 66 kilos 84 kilos)

Been biking since I was 8 except for a few years that I took off. Didn't bike from 17 to 22 years old. I didn't bike for a whole year about 4 years ago because of a herniated disk.

I commute 4.5 months out of the year and take short rec rides on weekends.

When the weather is nice. About 1000 miles a year. (1600 km/yr)

Used to Cross Country ski until the back went out.

Old 09-26-04, 10:50 PM
bobalou
pedal faster

Bikes: Motobecane, Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to bikeforums, and this is my first post. Actually my second, I just fired a blank.

I'm 63 years old, and have recently started riding around on my bicycle again. I have a Motobecane, 10 speed that I bought 29 years ago. In the late 70's, when I was in my late 30's, I used to commute on it, about 3 - 5 miles/day on some pretty steep hills here in Berkeley. In the last 25 years though, I just have not ridden that much. I also have a "beater" Trek 800 (I think) that I bought cheap a couple of years ago for use at Burning Man. Since I retired last year (Civil/Structural Engineer), I've taken to riding around town a lot on errands and just for the hell of it. I've been pretty heavily into motorcycles for the last 35 years, and find that I just enjoy the sensation of riding on two wheels. I have no idea what my mileage is.

As to medicine, I take aspirin occasionaly, vitamin C when I get a cold, and have recently started taking a cholestrol blocker (lovastatin.)

I do yoga about three times a week, and that has REALLY improved my physical condition, and my energy level. I also lost about 30 pounds, and now weigh the same as I did when I was in the Marine Corps 40 years ago.

This thread was a great idea. My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 3 week vacation in Europe (probably no cycling) but I hope to continue following this when we get home.
Old 09-27-04, 06:15 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three weeks in Europe, we should all be that lucky. Have a great trip.
Old 09-27-04, 06:36 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by bobalou
I'm new to bikeforums, and this is my first post. Actually my second, I just fired a blank.
If you haven't already left for Europe, WELCOME and enjoy.

(FYI, you can always "edit" that blank post - or any post - to add or change your message)
Old 09-27-04, 07:59 AM
gabiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 51 and soon to be 52.

2004 Litespeed Tuscany
2003 Specialized Stumpjumper
2002 Lemond Zurich

Multi Vitamin along with Vitamin E, B-12, C and Green Tea

I started riding 3 years ago and rode 4,000 miles averaging 14 to 15mph on some pretty hilly rides, this year I already have in 4,600 miles on the same types of rides averaging 17 to 18mph so I would say I have not slowed down. I would also say I am in much better shape now than I was at 30.

4. How long have you been biking? 3 years seriously all my life on and off casually.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, tour, race?
Mostly long rides. Weekday rides between 30 and 45 miles and weekend between 45 and 70.

4 to 5 times a week and should have about 6,000 miles this year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?I haven't done anything else for awhile but plan on lifting weights this winter and I love to hike.

I might add that I am a type II diabetic and have cirrhosis of the liver from Hepatitis C, but I refuse to let it get me down.
Old 09-27-04, 08:48 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 180 Posts

Litespeed Arenberg DA/9
Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record

Ibuprofen

A bunch but I'm mounting a comeback

Since age 5

Mostly solo training. About ready to start doing some group rides.

125 to 150 a week

110 miles commuting by car each day in the worst traffic known to man
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 09-27-04, 10:50 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53

Early 90s Schwinn Paramount with Campy Centaur triple

Just a multivitamin

I can ride just as hard as I did when I was 25. I just don't go as fast.

As an adult, since 1974

Mostly club road rides

2X a week. Around 2,000 per year

Just yard work and other Honey-dos
Old 09-27-04, 02:29 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. . . I would have sworn I did ( ).
I am 51.

1990 Serotta
1985 Trek 670
1984 Trek 770 (project bike not ridable yet)
Purely a roadie !

Multi Vitamin along with Glucosamine and Chondroitan (sp?), 81mg Asprin daily.

I sarted riding seriously in late 20's (age not year!). Have I slowed down? not really
although I don't ride as much as I did in the past (more to do with time constraints
than anything else).

4. How long have you been biking? since 1977 with a short break in the mid 90's.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, tour, race?
Road. do short rides during the week (10 - 15 nightly) try to get longer rides in
during the weekend (30 miles +), don't race but do participate in organised rides
like HHH and Ride for the Roses.

4 to 5 times a week, expect to avg 3000 miles per year. If I can't get out I ride rollers.

I do some (very little) weight training. Scuba dive as often as I can which usually
means teaching at least 1 class per month year round.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.