Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 06-24-19, 02:16 AM
keith_h

Bikes: Rossin Record, Rossin Columbia, Rossin Sprint, Cannondale Topstone, Orbea Opal. Grace, space and pace.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ruthless
And so it came to pass that I invited some friends to accompany me on this year's Petit Oppy (Audax, Fleche Opperman, 180km). Both are proper endurance athletes, Iron Men, one with the recent distinction of achieving Ultra Man status (DAY ONE: 10 km swim, 140 km bike | DAY TWO: 281.1 km bike | DAY THREE: 84.3 km run). At the post event soiree I introduced them to folks well into their late 60's/early 70's and we chatted about Paris Brest Paris. A common theme was that cycling was something taken up post retirement to the point now that one fellow has done PBP a few times and quite a few more than once. Yes, it seems long distance cycling suits the older person.

So clearly there's hope for many of us yet.
Old 06-29-19, 03:22 PM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Please tell us your age. 60

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Catrike Dumont.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

B complex
Vitamin D (my blood tested at nil - my Primary Care Physician had only seen that previously with nursing home invalids)
Fish Oil
Magnesium pills (helps with leg cramps)

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I have become much more active in the last five years
Years of desk work, non-stop travel too many hotels and eating out. 6'3" tipping the scales at 308 pounds. Not Good.
Weekly Excercise:
Boxing for Parkinson's 3x weekly.
Running (3 miles) 3x weekly
Cycling (12 to 20 miles) 3x weekly
Swimming (forty-five minutes doing laps): need 3x weekly, but hard to get the time in. I need Open Water Swimming in lakes for 1.5km practice.
today I'm still standing tall at 6'3" and down to 235 pounds.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

I've biked my whole life for fun, long-distance touring.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Short rides of 12 miles. Neighborhood loop as fast as I can (average around 50 minutes, we have hills).
Longer rides of 20 miles, but need to increase speed and duration

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Three times week, weather depending
Annual mileage would be 2500 miles a year.

RAGMBAI 2020 is on my bucket list. Not sure if I will ride with a Team Cancer or Team Parkinson's. Sadly there are a lot of us with both, few with both as active as I am.
Old 07-03-19, 06:43 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 36 Posts
I'm 53, some days I feel 30, some days 80.

1. 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad
2017 Bombtrack Arise2 - My go to bike. There's nothing like a single-speed. Poured a ton of coin into this but got it the way I want. This bike brings me such peace, and the funny thing is all my best stats are on this rig.
2019 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

2. No, none. Take a probiotic daily and use SIS gels when I ride.

3. Hard to say. Some days I feel like I could ride forever, others everything hurts within a few miles.

4. Since I was a kid. Seriously, about 10 years now.

5. Everything except single track, those days are long gone. I have a rail trail system that I really enjoy, knock out about 20 miles on that 3 times a week. Streets good but it seems to be getting more and more dangerous. Enjoy charity rides and am doing the Great Alleghany Passage from Pittsburg to DC the week of 22 July. Heats gonna kill me.

6. Try to ride almost everyday. Average 20-25 miles a ride. Did Zwift over the winter and really racked up some miles with that. I enjoy temps in the 40-60 degree range so summer slows me down a little. Up to alittle over 3000 miles this year so far, hope to do close to 4500.
Old 07-05-19, 10:43 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I may be from your area, chief. Good luck on the Great Agony Trail. I hope it doesn’t rain.
Old 07-07-19, 07:46 PM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks Neil, actually I'm from central Mass. Been wanting to do the agony(?) for years and the only vacation time I can get quick is the week of the 22nd. With temps in the high 80's, I hope it pours!
Old 08-08-19, 04:14 PM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I have just the two bikes listed in my profile info. Up until recently, I owned only one- the Schwinn cruiser, which I bought around 1994. I have not yet ridden the Mercier, which is being tuned up at present. I bought this bike very recently. I started a thread about my Mercier in the C&V forum: 50 years later, another Mercier

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take vitamins D and B12, niacin, and flaxseed oil, in addition to daily aspirin and a couple of common prescription meds.

Quite a bit, and I'm resolved to changing that. Had some heart issues beginning in 2012, and have not ridden a bike since then (except for using a bike trainer indoors). My heart treatment went well, and by 2015 that was largely a non-issue in terms of preventing me from returning to being more active again. I probably could/should have resumed riding a few years ago, but I have a few other minor physical issues (joints), and allowed myself to develop sedentary habits.

I had ridden all my life up to 2012, but the frequency and distances varied a lot according to phases I was in at different times.

Strictly recreational, with my longest rides being around 20 miles on the local creek trail. It features some fairly challenging short hills, but the elevation gain over 9 miles is only about 300 feet. The hills were already beginning to challenge me a bit before I stopped riding. Now, I'm planning to drive a bike over to the trail, and focus on the flatter sections.

I don't even remember how often I was riding, probably because I didn't have a very regular routine. My route involved riding a couple of miles through a residential area to reach the local creek trail, on which I made an up-and-back ride totaling about 18 miles. Annually, it would be very hard to even guess.

I'm really looking forward to riding again. My return to riding will have been based on the realization about how much I missed riding the creek trail on my Schwinn; as well as the urge to ride another Mercier after 50 years. (although I did have another road bike during the 1970's and 80's).
Old 08-11-19, 09:49 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
49, on the way to 50 soon.

Canyon Grail CF SL 8.0 Gravel Bike (I'm so in love with this bike)

Zero supplements. But I exercise and try to eat healthy as much as possible.

Not yet at this time. Still getting stronger and faster. I do calisthenics training 3 times a week (pull-ups, push-ups, etc), and cycling 3 times a week. 1 day is reserved for either yoga or rest day. I've been doing calisthenics for the past 10 years and I'm in the strongest state of my life.

About 10 years, but very recreational. 1 year seriously. Last Winter, I started training with Zwift and increased my FTP quite significantly. I still consider myself to be a beginner. My average road speed is only about 17 - 18 mph. My FTP is only 200. When I started last year, my ftp was 140.

Endurance on dirt road, gravel, and pavement.

3 times a week: 1 interval training ride (2x15 or 2x20), 1 moderate/tempo ride (20 - 35 miles), 1 weekend long ride at moderate intensity (50 - 75 miles). Approximate annual mileage: 3000 miles.
Old 08-18-19, 06:49 PM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went out for a little jaunt with some fellow 50+ers Saturday. Counting my commute to meet and back home, I did 45 miles, averaged 15.2mph with 1835 feet of climbing. And I was the youngest and slowest of the group.

We are 50+ and not slowing down any time soon! Ride On!

Joe
Old 09-15-19, 07:58 PM
rojrdojr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I graduated from a '95 stump jumper (converted for road and spine issues) to a 2009 trek 3700 a friend just gave to me. I'm only 58 but its the mileage (injuries) more than the age. The 3700 has the best geometry to date given my cervical challenges. A bit heavy and clunky but so am I. If this takes I'll be looking at a new bike next spring if I can find a proper fit. If not, I'll spend a ton of $ upgrading the 3700's aluminum frame which is not a horrible base.

2. Cannabis... a lot of CBD and some THC added when needed (all oral dose-legal med patient and legal in NV as well)... working out the cannabinoid and terpene profiles for the best impact... much research available now. I am now very diet conscious with primarily pescatarian tastes. Except when I don't. Supplements are in the vegan breakfast shake but in whole-food form.

3. Once back in condition... I'll see how much I have slowed. Better diet now and involved in Zumba 3-4 times/week for about a year. I feel a bit of frustration in turning a planned 40 mile ride into a 25 due to heat and need for hydration but am also pumped.

4. Haven't ridden in the past 12 years and decided to get back into what has been a life long passion. Put on 70 miles in the past week. I will be taking on some of the trips accomplished as a teen since I recently moved back to my home range. Being late in the year... it is prep for next season.

5.Historically speaking, I've biked up every major pass in W. Montana, commuted 44 miles round and rode a few centuries, slick rock trail and park city. My first good bike was a Stella in HS (mid 70's) and then a Cirrus road bike in the mid 80's... had to give the road bikes up. Would love to tour but, for now, will focus on daily fitness rides and longer rides as I can.

6. To be determined...
Old 09-21-19, 07:45 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 83 Le Tour, 70 somthing Benotto 800 (On the block) 2012 Sun Spider AT(On the block too)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 32 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I have two main bikes, a somewhat modified GT Arette hybrid, it is the first thing I ever bought with a credit card back in 1992, I got a '78 Paramount a few years ago. My riding is about 50/50 between them.

My wife has me on a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D,/ & Fish Oil. My doctor has me on a few other things...

Not any really, but I didn't ride for about 15 years so it is difficult to compare my riding. I still ride pretty fast although I have felt more aches & pains in the last couple of years…

Rode all the time as a kid back in Washington State & Germany in the 70s & early 80s. Didn't ride at all after I left home, then bought my GT in '92, rode it a lot for the first year, then slacked off and didn't ride at all from about 1995 to 2013. Started riding again in 2013, as well as finding old bikes & repairing/filpping them as a hobby.

I ride the canals mostly, and a little on the road, mileage is anything from 10 to 50 miles, 75 is my longest so far. Lately I've been thinking about joining up with one of the local riding groups. Also really want to ride one century this year.

I usually ride 25 to 50 miles Saturday & Sunday mornings. Work, weather & Wife permitting I sometimes ride 15 to 20 in the afternoon during the week... My goal is 3000 miles this year, I have about 800 to go.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Walk a ton at work... Some hiking now & then.
Old 09-21-19, 07:57 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
- I have both mountain and road bikes.I was a mountain biker most of my life but discovered road a few years ago so split my rides between the two.
-Just regular daily vitamins
-I don't think I've slowed down. Still shredding up in the hills.
-biked all my life
-road rides are 20+ miles mountain varies depending on the trails
- four times /week
Old 09-25-19, 07:59 AM
Tony Price

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my contribution, for what it's worth. I'm 55, based in the UK, living in Pembrokeshire, on the coast with all of the "undulating" countryside that coastal roads have to offer...
I've got a MTB but not used it for a few years, focusing on road riding, usually in small groups of up to a dozen or so. Hence, a selection of a few carbon and couple of Ti bikes - all built by my own fair hands and with light weight and a reasonable turn of speed in mind. A Storck, Parlee, Lynskey, Ritte and Van Nicholas. I dont follow the crowds for the mass market bikes. They are all more capable than I am. I ride with a small club where rides work on the ratio of 10:1. 10 miles riding equates to 1 pint of beer. I ride 2 perhaps 3 times a week, and get to 75-100 miles a week from time to time, a total of maybe 2500-3000 miles this year. Apart from beer, I take no vitamins, supplements, and follow a reasonably unhealthy diet, but still managed 100 miles at over 17mph, and show the younger chaps in the club a clean pair of heels from time to time.

I follow rules 5 and 9, and sometimes cycle alone as a result.
Old 09-30-19, 08:15 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just road bikes
No supplements, but plenty of meds
I'm sure I've slowed some, but I still go hard
Have biked pretty much all my life
Currently riding in the city strictly 90 mins to 2 hours every day, mileage varies
Old 10-14-19, 03:12 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I just picked up a motobecane strada ltd 2.0. I was getting it set up yesterday (specifically the front derailleur) when I discovered that it came with shimano 105 r7000 components instead of the 105 5800 components that bikesdirect said it had. Not a real big deal but kind of cool. This is a gravel bike that I plan to ride a bunch on the C&O Tow Path. I live about a mile away from the C&O.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I'm on a few meds (which I hate but what can you do?) plus vit D, mag, CoQ10, K2.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I'm definitely a lot slower than when I was riding in my 20s. I was doing a pretty hilly commute (~1800 ft elev gain in ~18 miles) and it pretty reliably took me an hour to get to work and I considered that an easy ride back then. I usually did 22-25 miles on the way home to avoid traffic. I'm pretty sure that would kill me now.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I have mostly been off bikes since my second daughter was born back in 96. I'd been riding for a few years at that point, including low level racing (just cat 4) and commuting. I have, however, been running for the last 11 years. I should have 2100 running miles this year. I hope that, once I'm back in the swing of cycling, that I'll find I'm a better cyclist than runner (I'm a lousy/slow runner in spite of running a fair bit).

5. What type of biking do you do? Right now my plan is to replace about half of my running days with cycling days. Most of my riding will almost certainly be on the C&O. Maybe I'll return to doing centuries and stuff after getting my butt back into condition.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I'm just returning to riding so we'll see. I expect I'll mostly run in the cold months and do more cycling the rest of the year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? I do some 'fitness' oriented lifting now. I used to compete in powerlifting but my aorta is dilated (aneurysmal) so I've been advised not to lift heavy any more. As stated I do run a fair bit and haven't missed a day in over 2 years (776 consecutive days as of yesterday).
Old 10-28-19, 01:17 PM
Fredr500

Bikes: Me: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite / wife: 2019 Specialized Roll Elite Low Entry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I just picked up a pair of Specialized Roll Elites for my wife and me.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I'm on some meds and daily multivitamin

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?Compared to when I was a kid and rode my bike EVERYWHERE, even next door? And to school the day we had 22" of snow? A LOT. But as long as it's fairly flat I can do 10+ miles at over 10mph pretty easily and I've just gotten back on for the first time in decades.

4. How long have you been biking? Age 4-19 every day, 19-64 once-twice a year, since I got the new bike 3 out of 4 days.

5. What type of biking do you do?Currently just on the greenway system that is right near my house and connects to 80 miles inside my town and many others.

6. How often do you bike? Just starting

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? I do some 'fitness' oriented lifting now. I used to compete in powerlifting but my aorta is dilated (aneurysmal) so I've been advised not to lift heavy any more. As stated I do run a fair bit and haven't missed a day in over 2 years (776 consecutive days as of yesterday).
Old 10-31-19, 10:58 AM
Fredr500

Bikes: Me: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite / wife: 2019 Specialized Roll Elite Low Entry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
update to above

I tried to edit the above but I had made too many posts that day and now it is too late to edit. The last line should say

I hit the gym 3-5 times/week to ride a recumbent bike 45-60 minutes, but I expect that to drop as I begin regular rides. But on bad weather days I'll be in the gym.

Last edited by Fredr500; 10-31-19 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-28-19, 10:14 PM
Pacobee

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
JOHN 52

trek Jazz
trek Ds 8.4
specialized roll (new)

like the roll need to shed some pounds
Old 12-30-19, 11:29 AM
Andybasi

Bikes: Trek DS4 2020

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings from Italy, my name is Andrea, 57 years old (58 in Feb 2020)

I'm using a MTB that is 25 years old, but I'm evaluating to buy a Trek DS4 to have a real step up in ciclyng experiences and performances;

I take a lot of drug due to heart problem and diabethes, but nothing special for ciclyng

Cannot answer, my experiences in past year isn't substantial

I have owned bikes sincee when I was 15, but havee used them mainly in summer just for ciclyng in short distance aroung my neighborhood; I have never covered more than 40 Km (25 miles) in a day;

I'll do mainly short rides on road and dirty track, triyng to gain more "autonomy" in terms of mileages;

up to now biking has been mainly a summer activities, covering no more than 300-400 miles in a year....quite poor performances indeed....but I'm looking to change this, making cicling a more regular activities (2-3 times a week?)

Kind regards
Andrea
Old 01-22-20, 11:52 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Please tell us your age.
57 last week Going on 77 some days... Arthritis sucks.

86 KHS Fiero, updated to 5600 Series 105 and "stuff"
89 Trek 950
90 Fisher HooKooEKoo
90 Trek 7000
98 Cannondale CAD2 R200 (indoor trainer bike)
2002 Marin San Rafael hybrid (project)
2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000 SRAM equipped
2010 Performance Access XCL 9r drop bar Monster Cross

Twice daily multivitamin
Iron, calcium, magnesium

After having been off the bike for years, I got back on 9 years ago after left knee replacement. Nine months after that, I crashed on my bike, breaking my back requiring 6 level fusion with 2 rods and 10 screws. Since then, I've had my right knee scoped and cleaned (needs replacing), right achilles tendon repair after a heel spur was cutting 75% through it. Sprained/strained my left ankle, pending ankle fusion, the AFO brace is supporting for now. Weight gain, oh my, and a raft of big problems looming, I sought weight loss surgery 15 months ago. Down over 140 pounds and still working at it, another 30 or so will be good.

The usual kids bikes, a Sears 10 speed as a teen, fell away with cars and joining the Navy. Found cycling again at 28 years old, avid/rabid for a few years. Fell away again with a few half hearted jump starts. Knee replacement brought me back, until I broke my back. Now, with weight loss, I'm back and hoping it sticks this time... Bought too many bikes NOT to ride...

Mostly rec rides, I will never seriously race. I'm getting miles in riding Zwift indoors presently, but looking forward to 40-50 mile road rides as it warms up again. I like to ride desert trails, not for speed, and am entering a desert ride in May, choosing the shorter 42 mile ride this year.

Depends how I feel, work schedule, and taking care of my disabled wife. But I try to get 2 rides a week minimum.
Old 01-22-20, 12:38 PM
rojrdojr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Its good to see you overcome... we are similarly screwed and it is far too easy to succumb as resilience, by its nature, comes and goes. Its not our age, but the mileage.

Riding is suffering, but for many, just a different, and better kind. The benefit of movement and endorphins make it the best option by far. Press on... as will I and many others. We are not alone.
Old 01-22-20, 12:41 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rojrdojr
Its good to see you overcome... we are similarly screwed and it is far too easy to succumb as resilience, by its nature, comes and goes. Its not our age, but the mileage.

Riding is suffering, but for many, just a different, and better kind. The benefit of movement and endorphins make it the best option by far. Press on... as will I and many others. We are not alone.
Thank you! I frequently tell those around me, I'm either too stubborn or too stupid to know when to stay down!!! That does get in the way at times though.
Old 02-08-20, 12:22 PM
eagletree

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
2015 Trek Emonda S5 (with upgrades), 2001 Giant XTC NRS 3. I also have a 1983 Miyata Three Ten in perfect original shape, but no usable tires and a 1986 Trek 830 that is currently loaned out (and not used). The Emonda got me interested and after that, trying my old never-used Giant was fun too. I ride them interchangeably, the lower gearing on the MTB is nice and in the rain, it negotiates mud puddles with easy, while the much lighter weight of the carbon bike is nice too and I like the feel on the drop bars, the Emonda is also much better in headwinds.

No

Speeding up. Going from 0 to something is an improvement. I slowed down in 2015 because of Sciatica but seemed to lick that with exercise and walking, the biking is causing improvement. I do find I'm lifting lower weights now, but it's complicated. Mass is important along with the other benefits of weight lifting, not enough creates problems while too much creates problems. The cycling has rounded out my exercise regimen so I don't want to lift heavy, just the right amount to maintain muscle mass. Of course even "right amount" is complex, but the cycling has so captured my attention, that weight work and walking as suffered. So both slowing down and speeding up, but it all seems like choice to me. In most areas, I would beat out my 25 YO version of self, I only wish I'd started at that age to do fitness oriented activities because I feel I'd be much further ahead now. I tend to harp on this to every young person I know and probably irritate them no end.

As most, I biked heavily as a kid with a 63 Schwinn Racer and completely stopped at 16 until now. I bought bikes at times but never got hooked on them. The Emonda changed that and I have a great deal of difficulty sitting here at my computer working now, I constantly want to be out on the bike.

Roads and long trails. Roads freak me out as much as I love riding them, but I commuted on motorcycles for many thousands of miles with an attitude of invisibility and no assumption of any right-of-way ever, and that might work with cycling too. I do want to participate in long rides such as the Seattle-To-Portland, but I don't think I'll be ready by July 2020. I will participate in all the rides here on the Olympic Peninsula this year. The hard part is finding them. I'm trying to connect with people to ride through the LBS. I like the isolation of riding alone, but like any old dog, I need socialization too, whether I want it or not. All my riding is about metrics and situational awareness, not for scenery or company at all, but to do organized rides is attractive because of varied elevation and road conditions. I do the same thing over and over right now.

Daily for the last two months, last year about 3 times a month. I try to get 10 to 20 miles a day but the PNW weather makes that challenging. Some days I'm stuck indoors on the trainer or doing slow trails in the woods with the MTB. Looks like 9600 miles annual would be likely at present (Edit, no idea where I came up with 9600, it's 4800 based on my current mileage rate). Just realized, I'm putting more miles on my bike than my car now.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
65 headed for 66 in spring. I started riding again just after my 65th birthday.

Last edited by eagletree; 02-10-20 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Corrected Mileage
Old 02-11-20, 09:37 AM
shelgame

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Homebuilt racing recumbent; '91 Trek Antelope; Generic MTB (from Performance Bike)

Just a multivitamin

Not slowed at all. Faster now than ever. Also, I'm lighter now than since the 5th grade @ 195lb. Though, it does seem to be getting harder to make gains now that I'm in better shape.

Basically all my life. Took a couple years off when my kids were very little, but even then rode from time to time.

80% on the trainer in the garage with Zwift. It's just easier. I live in Michigan, and I don't do winter. Plus, my kids are teens now and have lots of activities. I refuse to ride on the road with the general public. My family needs me to come home. So, I save the outdoor rides for the state parks on weekends in the summers.

My goal is 3 days per week. I probably average 2x week. Annual mileage is ~3000mi

Just turned 50 at the end of last year...
Old 02-13-20, 09:17 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I’m a lifelong cheapskate who loves a deal. As such I tend to ride cast-off bikes people are getting rid of or bikes I can get for cheap. My current main rider is an 87 Mirada a relative was getting rid of that I got for free. Might be ditching that in favor of a super nice Raleigh M30 I picked up this week for $20. My “good” bike is an 89 Trek 420 that I’m slowly upgrading as time and money allow. I have other bikes as seen in my profile but my kids have taken over those.

Nope

I’m more fit now than I was at 18

I got into serious recreational riding in my early 20s, so maybe close to 30 years now.

I do occasional long recreational rides - anywhere from 20 to 80 miles depending - but mostly shorter rides due to time constraints plus lots of local errand running. I’ve done a couple of 2-day weekend tours but a “real” tour is on my bucket list.

As often as I can. At my peak when I had an everyday bike commute and no children I was doing 1200+ miles yearly. Demands of family dropped that down to 300 some years. My goal is to keep increasing my annual mileage now that the kids are older. Last year did 500.
Old 02-18-20, 09:39 AM
runlebec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over 60

Originally Posted by dnvrfox
this thread was started in august, 2004, by dnvrfox, shortly after founding the 50+ forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with dura ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

both are right. Read on for yourself.

over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

this is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

below is the original post.

(dnvrfox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

dnvrfox, the op
i thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1973 schwinn suburban
rollfast single speed tandem
!982-83 bianchi under construction

Flaxseed oil, vitamin d

Definitely slower

I did a lot of triathlons in the 80's, not much since

Generally, 20-40 mile rides on the bike path

Getting back into it more this year, just rode occasionally recently

if you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.