Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 11:12 AM
jedrek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are two tricks to beating humidity:
1) Clothing that whisks away moistness/wetness.
2) Not stopping.
Old 07-22-11, 01:06 PM
raytobe

Bikes: Fuji vintage steel frame (modified), Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee,Motobecane Aluminum Custom. Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jedrek
There are two tricks to beating humidity:
1) Clothing that whisks away moistness/wetness.
2) Not stopping.
Check out my post here. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...fore-it-got-me
Old 07-25-11, 03:27 PM
danlikes

Bikes: Sab, Diamondback MB, Kawasiki MB, Huffy hybrid fixed gear junk yard build, Huffy cruiser motorized.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep an extra bike for anybody that has something to say, they can ride with me and most the Healthy people are hoofing and poofing way before I even start to get warmed up.

I have yet to havea fello cyclist, runner or other truely fit person say a word other than encouragement. Kind of amazing it is usually those that feel bad about them self that think it necessary to tease or point fingers at you. Thats my 2¢.
Old 08-04-11, 12:33 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ignore them. And maybe carry a baseball bat, metaphorically speaking. And get a nice big bike with nice big tires. I have a Kona Ute: a big fat bike for a big fat man.
Old 08-07-11, 11:19 AM
dull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts, which I found quite uplifting . I am going to start cycling soon (just waiting for my bike to come!) and although I am not a clyde I do have some similar concerns to some of those posted about very poor fitness level and lack of riding/technical skill (crapping out on hills, having to walk, "speed of sound" riders, eating pavement, hecklers, etc). It's kind of funny how I spend time worrying about these things, when my own reaction/thoughts on seeing someone else in that position are essentially the opposite of what I'm concerned about.

Anyway, after reading through this thread I'm more determined and feel better than ever to get on my bike and ride--thanks a lot to everyone who posted!
Old 08-07-11, 03:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dull
Anyway, after reading through this thread I'm more determined and feel better than ever to get on my bike and ride--thanks a lot to everyone who posted!
Yes, the clydesdales/athenas forum has some of the best threads in the whole BF doesn't it?
Old 08-07-11, 04:35 PM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerrvillian
If you think you are embarrassed now wait until you put on your first pair of cycle shorts. Even before going out in public you are going to feel like 6 pounds of sausage stuffed into 5 pounds worth of casing.

There are a lot of other directions to look than at you. Let 'em look. Let 'em get over it.

If you ride you will lose weight. You will lose weight faster by watching your diet and riding.

You will be smaller.

Then the comments made might be more like "Hey, good work!"

Don't put off riding because of what people say today. Ride into the things they will say tomorrow.
+1
Old 08-07-11, 09:35 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dull
although I am not a clyde I do have some similar concerns to some of those posted about very poor fitness level and lack of riding/technical skill (crapping out on hills, having to walk, "speed of sound" riders, eating pavement, hecklers, etc). It's kind of funny how I spend time worrying about these things, when my own reaction/thoughts on seeing someone else in that position are essentially the opposite of what I'm concerned about.
I lift now though I am fairly weak. It's emberassing when stronger people are in the gym. I do notice, however, that when people weaker than I are in the gym, I don't think less of them. Instead, I give them a mental g'donya. My girlfriend has begun biking much more over the last year, and while she was slow at the beginning (and always pretty) she has become a strong cyclist. She keeps up with me now, despite riding a heavier bike with less gears. Watching her struggle through the earlier stages of cycling improvement, I did not think less of her for her lack of proficiency. I thought more of her for her willingness to improve. I have seen accounts of numerous people who have lost weight or improved their fitness in other ways from riding. I don't particularly care what method people use, I just like the idea of people trying to do what's best for themselves. I like the idea of people trying their best to improve at whatever it is that they are doing.
Old 08-08-11, 03:12 PM
jesse_v77

Bikes: Roadmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a LARGE man myself, I am still working on getting in a steady habit of riding my bike. I weigh 345, and im only 5'10". All that matters is you are trying! Try to keep it consistent and work up your stamina. Dont worry about what people think, people are going to be critical of any overweight people, no matter what we are doing, so you might as well do something in the right direction to help you get in shape. You might just find that more people will dig that you are trying to do something to better yourself, instead of clowning, or thinking ugly thoughts in their heads.

I know this is a late post, its now August, but its all good. I ride an eighty dollar special from wal mart, it has a steel frame, and I think steel rims. It is a roadmaster. It doesnt properly shift all the way but I can get it from the highest to the lowest gear, I have replaced the front tire because I kept getting flats, I replaced it with a slime tube, so far no more troubles, and I have over 100 miles on the bike. I'm sure many people will tell you to rush out and spend 6 to 7 hundred on a 'sturdy reliable' bike, but until I drop some pounds, the 80 dollar special is working just fine for me.

Keep up the practicing, and it will get easier. I turned an 6 mile trip from one hour down to 35 minutes (On a very good day) but because I havent been consistent, still havent lost any weight. Consistency is the key, and as soon as we get that down, we will be trimming fat daily.

Have fun and God Bless!!
Old 08-08-11, 03:31 PM
Thalia

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there is always a crop of new embarrassed riders coming along, so even if the OP is now an old pro, this topic is always helpful!
Old 08-08-11, 03:53 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia
I think there is always a crop of new embarrassed riders coming along, so even if the OP is now an old pro, this topic is always helpful!
Which, I'm sure, is why the thread was stickied.
Old 08-08-11, 10:13 PM
Zermatt7

Bikes: Schwinn, Specialized, Motiv,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm now 6' 195 & getting toned (veins in the arms, flat stomache etc.) and I will only wear bike shorts under my gym shorts. I dont ever see my self wearing bike shorts by themselves, just me. Same reason I dont wear a speedo / "organ suit" when swimming laps, even though I could possibly pull it off. It just aint going to happen.

As far as the bike breaking, thats just a factor of what its rated for. Have you tried riding an indoor bike at the same time...Freezing is no fun no matter how healthy riding is.
Good luck & dont quit !
Just adapt and overcome !
Old 08-08-11, 10:27 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Also, some of us "old pros" get embarrassed from time to time. :-)

Old 08-09-11, 12:28 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What an inspiring thread!
Old 08-30-11, 04:07 PM
kreeseis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
if anyone says anything insensitive about your weight and your bike, punch them in the throat and keep on riding.
++1

lol
Old 09-04-11, 09:35 AM
Bluetrane2028

Bikes: Too many to list.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 12 Posts
Or just keep pedaling with the knowledge that their inactivity in relation to your activity will leave them huge and you not as much if you stay dedicated.
Old 09-04-11, 12:29 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Every time you are out on the bike you are setting an example as well as striving to improve yourself. You may be inspiring people who think they are too old/fat/unfit to ride to dust off their bike and give it a try. You're projecting how much fun being on a bike is to kids who will want to try it. You'll help motorists to get used to bike riders sharing the roads in a legal, safe, and courteous manner.

Wear the functional activity-appropriate attire, and help others get over their initial fears by helping make it "normal".

I typically ride by myself but I enjoy saying "good morning" "howdy" or a little wave and a smile to strangers who are riding their bike, mowing the lawn, walking the dog, jogging, kids on the school bus, garbage collectors, etc. Overwhelmingly, the response is similarly positive. It is good for the soul and helps me feel part of the community.
Old 09-04-11, 12:45 PM
zencalm

Bikes: 2011 Globe Daily 2 men's small

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
This thread is outstanding! It really is. I am a big guy... 6 foot 4 and 324 (down from 364). I bought a road bike a couple weeks back and the forst ride was ok but the second ride was a damn killer. And the humidity is hard for me to deal with too.

But today I am going to look at a hybred bike so I can start riding to work. Cant wait!
Chief, what bike did you end up getting? I was planning to get a 3 speed Torker beach cruiser (really!) and I ended up with a 2011 men's small Globe Daily 2. My LBS is fantastic! The Daily 2 comes with a rear rack built in and has a place to latch the panniers onto. (I have axiom waterproof typhoons.) It also comes with fenders, perfect for not getting all the road crap all over you. I added a front basket, and a bunch of accessories, and I couldn't be happier. I guess the Globe Daily 2 is a hybrid. It's an upright riding position but narrower tires (I used to ride a used Raleigh MTB.). The tires are 700c x 28 and have Kevlar in them for more puncture resistance (they are Specialized Infinity with a Flak Jacket).

As someone 336 who carries too much stuff in her panniers, this bike will definitely fit you plus stuff. Of course, at 6'4, you're gonna need a larger size than me. I am 5'9 but I have a baby inseam....only 30 inches!
Old 09-04-11, 01:08 PM
threemonkeys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling awkward at first isn't limited to big people. I've been a workout fanatic for years (weigh 142lb, 11% BMI). I jumped on a bike for the first time in about 30 years just a month ago. It took me several weeks to develop some level of confidence. And the first time I saw a chubby person pass me on a trail, I thought WTF. So don't think experienced big guys can't kick butt on a bike. It just takes time for all of us to develop a sense of confidence.

Long story short - I've gotten over the 'quicker, faster, stronger' comparison and I really don't give a hoot anymore. Here in the Seattle area, the biking community is really diverse. Old, young, overweight, skinny...that's what makes it fun. And as I'm about to buy clipless pedals, I suspect I'm in for another round of over self-awareness. But like everyone else, I'll get over it.

Great comments, everyone. And, yes, a very inspiring thread, indeed.

Craig

Last edited by threemonkeys; 09-04-11 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 03:51 PM
AthenaBiker

Bikes: Trek Navigator 3.0 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely. I am brand new to the forums - this is my first post and this is the first thread I have read. This thread has been SO inspiring! As an Athena at 5'2", 255lbs with a bmi of 46 I need to do something. I also have arthritis in my knees but surprisingly enough this appears to hindering walking much more than biking thus far. I had an old beach cruiser bike but because where we live is very hilly I had one heck of a time riding it since going up the hills was impossible and coming down them was just cruising. A few weeks ago I got a Trek Navigator 3.0 WSD and I am LOVING this bike! I can make it up the smaller of the hills around here and am working on it to conquer more. Riding now feels like good hard exercise instead of an extreme sport I am nowhere near able to handle.

I have dealt with the same insecurities that started this thread. Both on the bike and off of it but that's another story. Anyways, thanks all for the inspiration. I hope this thread is a good representation of the whole forum, I like you people

Michelle

Old 09-04-11, 04:20 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome Michelle. I love the t-shirt! Hope you stick around and visit with us here and share stories. We have several short Athenas here so you are in good company. The Navigator seems to be a popular bike for starting out. My husband rides one and he is now up to 12 mile rides.
Old 09-04-11, 05:32 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AthenaBiker
I hope this thread is a good representation of the whole forum, I like you people
The whole forum except for advocacy and safer maybe.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-04-11, 05:52 PM
AthenaBiker

Bikes: Trek Navigator 3.0 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Welcome Michelle. I love the t-shirt! Hope you stick around and visit with us here and share stories. We have several short Athenas here so you are in good company. The Navigator seems to be a popular bike for starting out. My husband rides one and he is now up to 12 mile rides.
Thanks. I did quite a bit of reading before I got my bike and decided it was the one I wanted (pending fit of course) before I ever saw one in person based on how many people recommended it as a good beginning bike. When I took it for a test ride I knew immediately it was the right one, I REALLY like it!!
Old 09-05-11, 07:11 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was at Blockbuster (yeah, they still exist) exchanging a DVD (yeah, they still exist, too) and this conversation fragment:

Blockbuster employee: "I could never ride like that."
Me (in full riding regalia-- shoes, helmet, jersey, shorts, ect.): "What? You mean you don't know how to ride?"
BB Emp: "I'd look like a dork!"
Me: "So? We all look like dorks."

Yeah. And then proceeded to have another similar conversation outside with two other strangers. . .
Old 09-05-11, 06:40 PM
nopainnogain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great forum. new member here. I'm @200lbs I qualify, rite? Riding a 36 yr old Moto..quit counting @ 50K....who needs index anyway?
Very impressed with these new riders. It's Attitude, not Aptitude that counts. Speaking fr lots of experience, Please know that for every jerk you might encounter on your rides, there are Hundreds more that have your back, willing to jump in if things may turn south. Bullies tend to turn meek when confronted with getting their As(&()s kicked. Ride with confidence, knowing that you are making a difference with every pedal stroke, changing your life and health, unlike those who may try to diminish your efforts. You're the future..take it and Make it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.