Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 09-24-17, 07:13 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Back at it again! Did what was supposed to be the group shop ride yesterday morning, but only one other guy showed up. And he was older than me, turns 70 in November. It was still a nice ride, even though I did most of the pulling. 1h:44, TSS 99, IF .75.

1h:41 at endurance pace this morning with 5x5' threshold intervals. No problem with the intervals, though I had to work at them. TSS 109, IF .80.

Coach has laid out this week's training, rest day tomorrow, another interval session Tuesday but with more time, endurance pace Wednesday, rest day Thursday, more intervals Friday, and the group ride Saturday. After the ride, I drive to Alabama for my mother-in-law's 88th birthday and return the next day. We still have to figure out the following week's schedule.

Feeling pretty good to be back on the bike!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-24-17, 09:52 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
The bike cures all ills, @revchuck!

Today, I had 1 minute TT efforts X4 with 10 minutes RBI on tap. I thought the power was going to be difficult to hold, and it was, but I did it. I'm feeling pretty good for a fat old lady!
Old 09-25-17, 06:11 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by sarals
The bike cures all ills, @revchuck!
You got that right!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-25-17, 07:03 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I was up at Big Bear riding with friends this weekend.

Went up a little early on Friday, but got stuck in traffic and wound up fighting daylight. Mr. H shuttled me to the top of the mountain and I rode 7.5 miles of the ridge trail, Sky Line, which I've ridden multiple times before. Great trail, lots of awesome flowy sections. Some rocky bits that are hard for me but I've been riding more of. Was a little cautious though, riding so close to sunset in an area of little cell reception with temps forecast to be in the 20s over night. From the ridge trail, I descended easy single track and fireroads into town. 10 miles/550 ft climbing.

Sat beautiful climbing up some fireroads and single track descending. We got over my head on a trail that was mis-marked as to difficulty level but it was still a fun 15 mile 1500 ft day, rode Sky Line trail in the opposite direction, which is supposed to be harder but I thought in many ways was easier.

Sun we went over to the other side of the lake, which is drier and more open. Less shade but it was cooler out so the temps were ideal. Mostly we rode fireroads (not my choice) which were fine, beautiful area but I'd really rather ride singletrack now- more fun and more skills experience/practice. Open dry pine forest with boulders for the most part with some lush areas. 16 miles/1500 ft climbing

At one point, I was 100% happy, at the end of that single track section, I really like mtb and feel so much more comfortable on the bike. My buzz eventually got completely ruined though. The husband, who has been giving me unsolicited advice on the bike for some time now, just couldn't resist again. I am mostly polite about it, but actually got angry on Sat and got into it with him- he's just trying to push me to do stuff I'm not comfortable doing, or do stuff with the bike that I chose to do differently, because he knows what's "right." Then unbelievably on Sunday, he got into it with me again, just can't be chill with me taking @Racer Ex's advice over his ever, so started in with me again. I just rode off and tried not to interact and was successful for the final 20 min of the ride. When we got back to the cabin, he issued an apology that wasn't much of an apology. He genuinely feels badly that we're in conflict but feels he is right to speak up and instruct me despite me not soliciting his advice or asking for instruction.

Very common experience for women riding with men, it shows the extreme disrespect for women and arrogance of so many men. Its just such BS, I wish it wasn't a thing in cycling. But it is. Such a buzz kill.

Last edited by Heathpack; 09-25-17 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 07:06 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Whoops posted one pic twice and am having trouble fixing it.

Heres what I meant to post

Old 09-25-17, 12:19 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Gorgeous, @Heathpack. Really, really peaceful looking, along with majestic. I know the feeling I get when I walk among giant redwoods and sequoias....riding in such a setting has got to be even better.
Old 09-26-17, 07:20 PM
revchuck 
OMC

30 minutes worth of threshold today, broken into 5, 5, 5, 7, and 8-minute chunks with 3' RBI. Felt good on the bike, and these felt easier than the last set. I rode from 0615-0814 and the temps were in the 60s with clear skies and no wind. TSS 135, IF .83. Three hours at endurance pace tomorrow, it's predicted to be slightly warmer but otherwise the same.

Coach gave me a TSS goal of 350-400 for the week, I'll probably hit that Friday. Saturday's group ride will be gravy.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-26-17, 07:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
2nd rest day in a row. Wine and cheese intervals.
Old 09-26-17, 07:54 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Hermes, rest days are delicious!

I did a 25 min TT interval today. @!x@$! stop light.

Also: I had a patient die today. CPR unsuccessful. I called the owners & they were surprisingly ok with it. "We kind of expected that to happen". Alrighty then.
Old 09-26-17, 08:03 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Heathpack....awwww.....

Not a good day at the track today. It's too bad, because the energy was really good, and the women outnumbered the men by a lot - yay!

It was perfect storm for me. I don't do well on the day after a rest day, not quite never, but rarely. And then this is mid work week, and it's been busy, with a late night due to a last minute call. I'm really good at collecting fatigue and hanging on to it, and that with the rest day yesterday made today's workout very lackluster. It was a hard workout, two 500M TT's and two flying 200's. None of them were very good.

I will be rested for Worlds. I've scheduled my off time to allow for some bona-fide relaxation and unstressing before the races start. I'll be ready.
Old 09-26-17, 09:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@sarals, can you believe it's only Tuesday?!

Also for me at work today: Great Dane with trouble walking in the hind legs per owner. Uh, no: your dog most obviously is staggering around in all four legs. Going on for 2 months now. The dog needs an MRI of his neck.

Good news: the guy applied for credit when this first happened and was approved for $6000!

Then he tells me unfortunately he spent the $ on himself, so he can't afford to do the MRI.

Next words out of the guy's mouth were of course a request for a discount.

Old 09-26-17, 11:17 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still 90's in late Sept. I have been installing hardwood flooring in our bedroom the past two days and my body is paying for it. Rode one hr in the little ring for recovery yesterday that didn't help with the hurt. Today was better as I took a handful of Alive and didn't have too much trouble moving and power nailing the floors. I have developed a weekly group ride that starts and ends at a local brew pub that rides on Tuesday evenings year round. I was hesitant to join in on my ride but did. I announced that if I get dropped I'll just JAR then meet after for food and brews. Somehow the body responded and I held on. The ride continues growing and getting faster over the past couple years. Today we had 15-18 capable riders including several Cat 1's and the 1978 BAR. Luckily they all understand it's about riding at a sustainable pace followed with with beers.
Old 09-27-17, 08:42 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Some time on the TT bike this am, a little tempo ride. Then more front wheel lifts on the mountain bike. Boy timing is everything on those. Then a little stretching & a meditation.

Fine morning thus far...
Old 09-27-17, 09:16 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty good on the front wheel lifts, however twice this summer my curb hopping skillz didn't include lifting the back wheel in sequence resulting in two new mtb wheels this year.
Old 09-27-17, 04:09 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Three hours at endurance pace this morning, with the last 45 minutes toward the upper end. I felt okay on the bike, but not "mighty" as HP would say. When I began to push the pace a bit toward the end, I thought "This ain't gonna last long," but it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. TSS 166, IF .74, 1944 kj...which put it into my "I deserve a smoothie" range.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-27-17, 08:53 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Somehow I missed Racer X's accident post about falling off a ladder. Heal up quickly!

I've spent the past couple days installing 3/4" hardwood in our bedroom and walk in closets. Returned the rented nail gun tonight after riding MTB in the jungle for an hour. Hammies were barking the whole ride. Next up is install shoe molding, fill nail holes, caulk cracks, paint moldings then clean up before I go to the velodrome tomorrow.
Old 09-28-17, 09:23 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

The last couple of training sessions have demonstrated to me how much mental fatigue plays into physical performance - as if I didn't know that. Hellyer on Tuesday was so so, or it felt like it. Yesterday's TT session was, well, lackluster. I could only hold the "flat out" segments for 35 seconds rather than the allotted minute. When I'm mentally tired, I don't tolerate pain anywhere near as well as I do when rested. I also have trouble concentrating, and my fine motor skills are really sluggish. With rest, I'm good, and things get back on track quickly. It's a clear demonstration that I need a "quiet brain" in order to be able to perform well on the bike.
Old 09-28-17, 10:21 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Allegheny Jet:

Recovery ride for me today with coffee after. Five of us at 4:30am, and another friend who just came for coffee.

First pumpkin spice latte of the season.

I was depressed about the state of the world yesterday. But amazingly: one coffee klatch and things feel way better.
Old 09-29-17, 07:54 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack

Recovery ride for me today with coffee after. Five of us at 4:30am, and another friend who just came for coffee.

First pumpkin spice latte of the season.

I was depressed about the state of the world yesterday. But amazingly: one coffee klatch and things feel way better.
Right?

Standing start sprints on tap for today. Yesterday was an off day. I took my new FFWD Disc-T (track) wheel over to Winning Wheels to have Hector glue on the Vittoria Pista Evo tubie. He shared a bunch of his "racing days at Encino" stories with me. He's pretty excited that BJ and I are going to Worlds. He said it's kind of a big deal. I guess it is! Senior Games to UCI Worlds in five years. Thinking about it, it's sort of incredible. If you guys on this here Forum had said to me five years ago when I first started lurking here that i'd be racing on the track in a world event in five years, I would have been sure you all had two heads. Life is pretty trick, isn't it?
Old 09-29-17, 12:36 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sara, when I'm doing all out intervals I have to focus on "all in and fast as I can go" and not "as hard as I can go" For me there is a big difference between the two thoughts. The same when I'm following watts on an interval, I just tell myself to ride better and not harder and then can squeeze a few more rpm's out of the effort. We all have different ques and keys to riding better and faster. Keeping the mental part in order I tell myself that sometimes you do have to throw away a workout but its a process and not a formula to get fast. Of course Cheetah blood does help if your looking for a magic foumula.

Healthpack, That's me in the 2nd image getting big air! For What's It Worth, the first image does strike a chord.
Old 09-29-17, 01:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Sara, when I'm doing all out intervals I have to focus on "all in and fast as I can go" and not "as hard as I can go" For me there is a big difference between the two thoughts. The same when I'm following watts on an interval, I just tell myself to ride better and not harder and then can squeeze a few more rpm's out of the effort. We all have different ques and keys to riding better and faster. Keeping the mental part in order I tell myself that sometimes you do have to throw away a workout but its a process and not a formula to get fast. Of course Cheetah blood does help if your looking for a magic foumula.

Healthpack, That's me in the 2nd image getting big air! For What's It Worth, the first image does strike a chord.
AJ, I'll have a quart of Cheetah Blood, please!

I do what you do, as you described it. It's a natural process. I just got done doing standing starts, all out, practicing for the 500 and 2K. I break the start down into segments. There's the breathe up, focus, and calm myself; countdown from five; stand at two and launch at zero; "stomp" the pedals to get the bike going; get over the gear; settle into an OTS rhythm while staying low on the track and on the bike; and then go to the saddle and stay on top of the gear. Yeah, there's that many!

Today's session went well. I need a few seconds, and I'm chipping away at them. It's a matter of concentration, form and efficiency. And practice!
Old 09-29-17, 07:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@sarals, when are your events?
Old 09-29-17, 07:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Yesterday 100 meter motor lead ins and today 2x500 meter standing, seated, standing efforts.

I met a racer who just turned 70 and is a WC in the 500 in my age group. We thought that after puberty, we would never be in another awkward age. Not true. We have re-entered it once again. Not dead, fast but too old to race with the younger guys.

I was trying to talk him into 65+ team sprint or racing the next age group down with a racer who is 60-64.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-29-17 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 08:14 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Hermes, when are your races?!
Old 09-29-17, 08:32 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go get em this weekend Hermes!

Regarding TP and TS,... I'll be aging up to 65 next year. Just sayin..,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.