Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with IGH chain tension..

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 05:17 PM
cycle.stig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I bought a MEC Chance commuter bike with an Alfine 11 internally geared hub.
https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...cle-unisex.jsp
When I got it the chain seemed to be tensioned almost perfectly. Since then I've ridden about 500 kilometers and the chain has begun to sag a bit. In the picture below I've used string to show how much sag the chain has. It's about half an inch. It looks easy enough to tension. The rear hub drop outs are on metal slides that ca be adjusted forward or backward to tension the chain.
I'm just wondering if the chain even needs to be tensioned. I've read that chains don't actually stretch and it's so new that I'm confused how it has begun to sag.
Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (88.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-12-12, 05:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
You are basicly correct in that the metal the chain is made of has not stretched. But each link has a bushing/bearing at each end and these do wear. Even a tiny amount of wear in each bushing vwill add up after almost 100 units. Additionally the cog and chain ring will wear a bit allowing the chain to settle into the teeth a little bit more. If you keep your chain clean and lubed then this wear will be initially faster then seem to slow down. This is just one of the reasons that a bike should be returned to the LBS for a tune up after a few hunderd miles. Andy.
Old 11-12-12, 06:01 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 The chain doesn't physically stretch, but gets longer as the inner parts wear out. In any system without a derailer (fixed gear, single speed, IGH) there shouldn't be any actual tension in the chain but rather it should spin as smoothly as it would if it were slack. Then take out as much slack as possible without actually making it tight. I'm probably not describing this very well but hopefully that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is just one of the reasons that a bike should be returned to the LBS for a tune up after a few hunderd miles.
I would change that to: This is just one of the reasons it's nice to know how to work on your own stuff when adjustments and problems arise.
Old 11-12-12, 09:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
To built on Fast Jakes post. There shouldn't be any chain tension at all. The standard test for correct (non)tension is to move the center of the lower loop up and down. It should be free to move about 1/4" either way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-12, 02:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Year around riding, I get a year out of a chain [53:16 turning a 20" wheel]

Larger wheel Circumference may not be same since 1 rotation covers more ground.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-13-12 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 05:55 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have sliding dropouts on the frame. Loosen the bolts, ease the dropouts back a bit, then tighten back up. Then you will probably need to adjust the shift cable. I don't know how to do that on an Alfine, but I would start by looking up Shimano's website.
Old 11-13-12, 06:04 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Then you will probably need to adjust the shift cable.
Which is why I wouldn't bother to adjust the chain at all. The slack seems small enough.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-13-12, 06:36 AM
cycle.stig

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Although I have a year of free maintenance included on this bike I have to drive an hour or more to use it. Aside from that though, I like to do my own maintenance wherever possible. To reiterate, I'm pretty sure I can adjust the chain tension with ease, I just wanted to double check if it was even necessary. As for adjusting the IGH shifter cable, that's easy and takes only a few seconds. I think I'll double check my measurements and give the adjustment a go myself.
Old 11-13-12, 07:15 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
That is not excessive chain slack. You have chain guides on both the chainring and the cog, so it's not going to throw the chain. Ride it and be happy. (But make sure the sliding dropout bolts are tight.)
Old 11-13-12, 07:33 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Since the cable stop at the hub end is part of the hub assembly which moves with the wheel when adjusting chain slack, why will shifting or shift cable tension need to be adjusted as well?

When adjusting chain slack, check while you're doing it by rotating the crank through a couple of revolutions. Neither the chainring nor the drive cog are perfectly round and static adjustment at any one point may mean too loose or too tight at other parts of pedal revolutions.
Old 11-13-12, 09:25 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Since the cable stop at the hub end is part of the hub assembly which moves with the wheel when adjusting chain slack, why will shifting or shift cable tension need to be adjusted as well?

When adjusting chain slack, check while you're doing it by rotating the crank through a couple of revolutions. Neither the chainring nor the drive cog are perfectly round and static adjustment at any one point may mean too loose or too tight at other parts of pedal revolutions.
+1, no need to adjust shifter cable. And even if it were, it's a 10sec job.