Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 03-10-13, 10:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I've done so since I first started drinking the stuff.
Now I'll say something truly heretical, and I may have to turn in my Canadian club membership card for saying it, but McDonalds serves better coffee than Timmy does.
Is there some other way to drink coffee? If so, never tried it.

I'd weigh 500 pounds if I added sugar and cream to my two pots/day of home brewed coffee.
Old 03-10-13, 10:29 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I drink it black.What other color does it come in up there?
Old 03-10-13, 11:18 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Spent a year setting up a flight department for the co-founder of TH. The put an actual store in the hangar at Mt. Hope. Everything from there has tasted bitter ever since

TH coffee (Mother Parkers) is just mid grade floor sweepings. McD's has actually come up with a pretty good product. My favorite is still Starbucks PikePlace. Oh, and black."

First time I ordered coffee from TH they asked "Regular coffee"? Me, thinkng espresso or Latte was maybe on the menu, said "Just regular coffee."

Turns out TH has their own lingo. Regular is cream and sugar.

Last edited by jdon; 03-10-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-10-13, 11:44 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 557 Posts
Four homemade beers and a shot of Makers Mark last night. The old man ain't what he used to be.

On top of that, I must have been tipsier than I thought I was ... I seem to have misplaced an hour of my life somehwere.

Old 03-10-13, 12:18 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I drink my coffee black. I think that might be one of the things that makes me a retro grouch.
I drink my coffee black, at room temperature, and often a couple of days old. I consider myself a happy camper.
Old 03-10-13, 01:47 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
After swearing off McD's coffee ages ago, recently someone convinced me of it's vast improvement so I gave it another try. I was not impressed.

I'm a Dunkin zealot, black one sugar.
Old 03-10-13, 02:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I drink my coffee black, at room temperature, and often a couple of days old. I consider myself a happy camper.
At least one old timer got burnt by scalding hot McDonald's coffee so you are assured of being happier than some.
Old 03-10-13, 02:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Four homemade beers and a shot of Makers Mark last night. The old man ain't what he used to be.

On top of that, I must have been tipsier than I thought I was ... I seem to have misplaced an hour of my life somehwere.

That sounds like fun!
Old 03-10-13, 02:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by CbadRider
Sometimes people can find a member's posting style irritating. If they're breaking the forum guidelines, the posts should be reported so the moderators can take care of it. If you just don't like their style of posting, that's what the Ignore feature is for, or you can just choose not to respond to that person's posts. It's as simple as that.

Starting a bickering match never ends well. I have to wonder what forum this artist was on that inspired him to draw this comic:

CBad, I'm confused. Are you saying there is something actually wrong with this cartoon? I think its a surprisingly apt caricature of the earnestness of many members of BF.

Trying to communicate what one thinks is true is not bickering, in itself. It IS adult self-expression, probably coupled with a desire to teach. Both are virtues, in my book.
Old 03-10-13, 02:30 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
103 posts. Not bad for a thread that nobody wasn't really sure about.

But on a serious note, someone turned on a light for me and I can see better. I just couldn't "focus" but everything is clear.
Overall I find this much more banal and less on-any-conceivable-topic than any of the usual divergences in 50+ pre-Pub.
Old 03-10-13, 02:35 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by CB HI
Almost everyone here knows that being a mod is a thankless job that almost none of us would ever want. Part of the problem right now is few, if any currently posting have any clue what prompted Tom's post. And then we get a thread on wheat and fat moved to FOO. I could have understood moving it to nutrition (and I would not have commented at that move), but FOO?

I think Pub 51 will be a less than useful thread, but give it a try. But I strongly suggest not cutting off, moving or telling anyone to take their topic to Pub 51.

Now I am going to out a BF member for a violation that he did not know he committed. Please leave him alone and do not mess with his threads. I already alerted him of the violation.

The returning 50+ member started a thread in 50+ titled:

"Recommendations for a Touring Bike for the Plus 50"

Someone immediately jumped in and gave alittle advice but also told the poster (in a nice way) it should be taken to the touring forum. The returning member started almost the exact thread in the touring forum.

Guess what, the touring forum is a little burnt out on "what touring bike" threads, so they have five replies touching a little on the OP concerns.

Now look at the 18 50+ replies. Are not the 50+ responses much broader and more useful to the OP. See why we like 50+ the way it is and sometimes have a valid reason for having our threads here, even if they might fit the subject of other forums?
Presumably the returning member who wanted to choose a touring bike did not search in Touring, or could not succeed while searching in Touring, so just decided to ask his question.

Ok, I just read the other Touring thread, in Touring, and I don't see anything there but helpfulness, from a position of knowledge and experience. What's to complain about? Maybe there is a Touring faction that is a bit burnt out, but I just saw good helpful posts.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-10-13 at 03:46 PM. Reason: New Info!
Old 03-10-13, 02:50 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Q Why did the hipster get burned?

A Because he drank his coffee before it was cool.

Old 03-10-13, 05:15 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Presumably the returning member who wanted to choose a touring bike did not search in Touring, or could not succeed while searching in Touring, so just decided to ask his question.

Ok, I just read the other Touring thread, in Touring, and I don't see anything there but helpfulness, from a position of knowledge and experience. What's to complain about? Maybe there is a Touring faction that is a bit burnt out, but I just saw good helpful posts.
If you think I was putting down the touring forum, I was not. I post in the touring forum and have learned a great deal myself from that forum.

The search function for BFs yields mixed results. I actually have greater success searching BFs using google or bing. So I encourage posters do a search but I realize that they will often not find what they are looking for.

The touring forum thread only has 5 replies and is dead. Yes they tried to help the OP and did note that their size 13 and 14 feet did not overlap their LHT. Thing is, I suspect they have a much larger size frame which makes a big difference. Yes they did address best they could ONE aspect of the OP.

The 50+ thread gave a much greater wealth of information for the OP with many alternate considerations.

It would have been sad if the mods moved the 50+ thread to touring and the OP missed out on the 26 replies from here. Is that not sufficient to complain about the recent moving of 50+ threads to other forums?

Did you also note that the thread the OP updated to, was the 50+ thread?
Old 03-10-13, 05:18 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of bike shop names( sorry I'm bored wife is watching QVC).Here is a couple of neat other business names.Plumbing and heating---Saw a truck in Maryland- Plumb Crazy... ,Chimney sweep in Nj- Up Yours! auto repair Nj Does your car turn over in the morning? Real car upside down on front lawn.
Old 03-10-13, 06:19 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
A Psychiatrist and a Proctologist were going to go into business together. They couldn't decide if they should name the practice Rears and Queers or Nutts and Butts!

(This is a really old joke when queer had nothing to do with sexuality-so please spare me, please)

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-10-13, 06:21 PM
Daspydyr 

I lived in rural Kansas in the 70's. I was told that if you don't drink your coffee black, that people won't take you seriously!

Old 03-10-13, 06:36 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
A Psychiatrist and a Proctologist were going to go into business together. They couldn't decide if they should name the practice Rears and Queers or Nutts and Butts!

(This is a really old joke when queer had nothing to do with sexuality-so please spare me, please)
So what is the difference between an Ophthalmologist and a Proctologist? The Ophthalmologist looks you in the eye when he gives you your diagnosis. Oh, I like my coffee black, thank you.
Old 03-10-13, 06:50 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We have a Proctologist in the neighborhood with a fishing boat. Everyone calls him The Rear Admiral.
Old 03-10-13, 07:12 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
So what is the difference between an Ophthalmologist and a Proctologist? The Ophthalmologist looks you in the eye when he gives you your diagnosis. Oh, I like my coffee black, thank you.
Well fine.

Why do perfectly normal people go into "proctology"?

They ask vulnerable students if they want to get in 18 holes a day. The innocent students think they're signing up for golf lessons.

Old 03-10-13, 07:45 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
One of the more colourful Canadian politicians of recent times is a fellow by the name of John Crosby. Story goes that he was the keynote speaker at an opthamologist's convention.
Behind the speaker's podium, mounted high on the wall was a huge eyeball. John is reported to have turned around, looked at it, and after a perfectly timed pause said, "well, I'm certainly glad this is not a proctologist's convention."
Old 03-10-13, 08:15 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Umm, where was I? Oh yeah, coffee. I live a little less than 1/2 mile due north of a coffee roasting plant. On days when the wind is blowing in off the lake, there is a most pleasing aroma in the neighbourhood.
Old 03-10-13, 08:56 PM
Daspydyr 

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Well fine.

Why do perfectly normal people go into "proctology"?

They ask vulnerable students if they want to get in 18 holes a day. The innocent students think they're signing up for golf lessons.

Old 03-10-13, 08:58 PM
Daspydyr 

I live up the hill from an Ocean Spray plant. Great smells drift this way as well.

Old 03-11-13, 06:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I live up the hill from an Ocean Spray plant. Great smells drift this way as well.
Is that an Ocean Spray Cranberry plant? I thought cranberries only grew in bogs like here in Massachusetts, yet you post from the Mojave desert.

Talk about outsourcing jobs!
Old 03-11-13, 08:18 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I bike commute past the Red Hook Brewery and when they are cooking hops the smell is really intense...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.