Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage Fork Crown Race Size

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 08:26 PM
jgcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I had to get a replacement fork and bought one, supposedly off an old Trek, says Tange CR Made in Japan 6A. Knocked the crown race off the original busted fork, a 1979 Trek 614, and the race is too big for this newly bought fork.

Must be a smaller size race needed

What size do I need and will it be okay in the headset since it has to be smaller?

After some searching, yes I have a JIS 27.0 headset and my old fork races are too big for the newer 26.4 fork.

Two posts said to give it the ole beer can shim. Any thoughts on that one?

Last edited by jgcycle; 12-10-14 at 09:52 PM. Reason: New info searching
Old 12-10-14, 09:36 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jgcycle
So I had to get a replacement fork and bought one, supposedly off an old Trek, says Tange CR Made in Japan 6A. Knocked the crown race off the original busted fork, a 1979 Trek 614, and the race is too big for this newly bought fork.

Must be a smaller size race needed

What size do I need and will it be okay in the headset since it has to be smaller?
i had an issue with replacing a headset on an imported '85 trek elance once. i bought a new headset for it, but the crown race didn't fit. can't remember if too big or too small. so i hunted around on the internet for crown races (they cost next to nothing) and when i found one that fit, the rest of the new headset worked with it, no problem.

i was surprised , but in a good way.
Old 12-10-14, 10:01 PM
jgcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After more research it seems headsets can be JIS or ISO and both could take a 26.4 or 27.0 crown race.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...dset-help.html

So I can get a 26.4 crown race for the fork and it will work in the headset that used to have a 27.0 crown race fork.

Old 12-10-14, 10:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Many headsets, such as SunTour Spb Prp, and various Shimano and Tange headsets are made in both JIS (27.0mm) and and Campy (26.4mm). On these, the crown race is identicl in every respect except for the ID. So if you can find a JIS crown race for the same model headset, you're in. You don't always have to match the model exactly only the manufacturer, because they often use the same crown race on various headset models.

BTW- here's a heads up that may save you future headaches. If your old fork was JIS, and was original to the bike, then the frame is also JIS. That means that if you buy a new headset, you'll need a JIS headset to fit the frame, and a 26.4 crown to fit the fork. However, you have the prion of having a shop ream the head tube from JIS (30.0mm) to Campy (30.2mm), and then buy 26.4/30.2 headsets thereafter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.