Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

is it worth 'doing up' and old and rusted Poch Pacemaker

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 02:11 PM
adam232

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found out that my dad had had a this bike at uni and when he finished he left it at my grandparents house, so this bike had been leaning against a wall outside there house for 30 years, but i needed a bike so i went to look at it and the chain still turns, and the gears still change (luckily it was under cover), the rust scrapes of but the handlebars and seats cannot be adjusted, the left brake needs replacing, and the inner tubes, not the tyres though, will need replacing, is it worth it or should i buy a new bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0311.jpg (94.2 KB, 22 views)
IMG_0324.jpg (101.3 KB, 32 views)
IMG_0325.jpg (101.2 KB, 24 views)
IMG_0326.jpg (99.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-07-12, 03:21 PM
adam232

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 views and no-ones replied :/
Old 08-07-12, 04:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by adam232
30 views and no-ones replied :/
I expect everyone that looked shook their heads and said "why bother". The bike is a damaged wreck and unless the sentimental value is tremendous or you are really into period restorations, get something newer and better. It wasn't that good when it was brand new and 30 years of neglect/abuse haven't helped it.
Old 08-07-12, 04:20 PM
adam232

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because I'm not after a high end carbon fibre job, I just wondered if it wouldn't be cheaper
Old 08-07-12, 04:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
If it's been sitting for 30 years, the tires need replacing too.

How much money do you want to stick in it to end up with a 5 speed bike?
Old 08-07-12, 04:39 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
New tires, tubes, brake pads & bar tape. Clean it and lube it. Ride it and see how you like it. It's not a great bike, but it looks like a decent grab-n-go about town bike. Don't bother with paint. If you don't like it, sell it. Worst you'll get is practice.

I am just finishing up an old 10 speed that sat in somebody's back yard for about thirty years. I spent about $32.00 on the above items at the local swap meet.
Old 08-07-12, 05:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Because I'm not after a high end carbon fibre job, I just wondered if it wouldn't be cheaper
Updating and upgrading almost any very old frame with new parts is usually much more expensive than you expect. Unless you happen to have a big supply of usable newer parts left over from other builds and realize what dimensions on the old frame may be obsolete (dropout spacing, bottom bracket threading, etc.) this can be a nearly bottomless money pit.
Old 08-07-12, 06:56 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Try to minimize costs. The seat bolt and any others that are rusted tight may loosen and clean up if you apply WD40 over several days and try gently hitting the wrench with a hammer to loosen things. What about the left brake makes it unusable. It may just be bound up with dirt and rust. Repair rather than replace as much as possible. If you can get it working then surge on some inexpensive tubes and tires.
Old 08-08-12, 03:23 AM
adam232

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can get the bolt to turn on the seat but the bit of it on the other side does too and there's no way to grip it. Also the brake mechanism works but it's attached too loosly to the handlebars and again no way to fasten
Old 08-08-12, 03:40 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In general, fixing up bikes is far from a money-saving exercise unless you have a bunch of spare parts lying around. It's also more cost-effective to buy a newer bike with the parts you want than to try and upgrade and older one.

In terms of getting the original bike in working order again, you may be able to get away with just replacing brake pads, tyres and cables. Often seemingly ruined parts such as jammed derailleurs and brakes can be revitalised by a thorough cleaning and reassembly. This bike could be a good candidate for restoration with a little time and care.

By all means, fix it up. But do it because you like fixing things rather than to save money.

Last edited by Monster Pete; 08-08-12 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 08:18 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Monster Pete
By all means, fix it up. But do it because you like fixing things rather than to save money.
+1 except by "fix it up" I would recommend cleaning and using as much of the original equipment as you possibly can. Replace the expendables (tires, brake shoes, cables and housing and the like) but do not buy anything that's not absolutely necessary.
Old 08-11-12, 11:15 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I can get the bolt to turn on the seat but the bit of it on the other side does too and there's no way to grip it. Also the brake mechanism works but it's attached too loosly to the handlebars and again no way to fasten
1. You need to loosen the built up rust with penetrating oil like WD40 before touching it with a wrench. Do that first. If it still spins and some if the stud is above the bolt then large slip joint pliers on both sides of the stud might hold it while you use a wrench on the nut.

2. The brake handle is held by a set screw and clamp. The screw is behind the hand brake. So pull the handle to access the screw.

Some bike repairs can be a two handed affair but most are doable at home.
Old 08-11-12, 01:32 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
I would recommend cleaning and using as much of the original equipment as you possibly can.
Exactly. A lot of parts such as jammed brakes etc can usually be salvaged by careful disassembly and cleaning.