Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dismantling Freehub Body

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dismantling Freehub Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 11:07 AM
montanaviking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
freehub disassembly

Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you're talking about removing the freehub body from the hub, it's held on with a hex nut accessible when the axle is removed. This is covered in Shimano's tech docs, and in tutorials easily found on the net.

As for taking the freehub module apart, to my knowledge, nobody bothers. They either replace them as needed, or pull them back from death with a long soak in a can of solvent, flush out dirt/rust with more solvent, shake them dry, and let some heavy oil soak in. It's sort of the same way we used to keep out freewheels going. Both with freewheels or freehub bodies, there's little or nothing to be gained by actually taking them apart.
I have to respectfully disagree.
1. Your freehub body might be OK but is malfunctioning due to dirt and water intrusion.
2. 1. might be true AND a new freehub body might not be available for sale.
Sure, one can always recycle/landfill the whole wheel due to an unavailable freehub body but this seems wasteful and harmful to the environment and wallet relative to a freehub overhaul or clean/greasing.
Likes For montanaviking:
Old 03-31-22, 01:14 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Here is a discussion reguarding the tool:

Here is a video for the actual overhaul:

Old 03-31-22, 01:44 PM
montanaviking

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
freehub

Thanks for the tip!
I'd sure rather do preventative maintenance on my freehubs to clean, regrease, and know the state of wear as opposed to having the surprise of a failed freehub a long way from home. And my freehubs do accumulate dirt and moisture with time and do need to be cleaned and regreased internally.
Phil
Old 03-31-22, 03:43 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
My happy medium is to remove the f/h off the wheel, remove the seal at the base, and the dust shield. Then flush generously while spinning the f/h. Once the solvent/degreaser-of-choice is passing through clean, I dribble in some thick oil, reinstall seal and reassemble.

Freehubs have it fairly easy, in that they don’t carry any power while rotating. Sudden, catastrophic failures are unusual. Most common, they gunk up and become slower and slower to engage.