Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Multiple Bikes, One Trainer

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 10:37 AM
Darylb23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I know direct drive trainers have the ability to accept a variety of cassettes but what if my wife and I both want to use the trainer but we have different gearing? I ride a fair amount and I'm interested in a direct drive trainer with Zwift or one of the other options and would likely use a variety of the features. My wife would likely be ok. just riding for 30 minutes without shifting. Would it damage anything if I bought an 11 speed cassette for my bike but she ride in one gear on her 7 speed? Just trying to find some options without buying two trainers or having to change out cassettes every time we ride.
Old 10-11-23, 01:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
a 7 speed chain is wider than an 11 speed. 11 speed cassette's cogs are closer than a 7 speed's cogs. prolonged use of the 7 speed chain with the 11 speed cassette will wear both items. there will likely be some noise associated as well.

it will work if you are willing to put up with this. i would not do it.
Old 10-11-23, 03:38 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The new Zwift Hub One might match your use-case, although I don't know if 7 speed works with it: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/10/...ks-review.html .

Alternatively get whatever smart trainer you want and buy a used wheel-on trainer for your spouse, as it doesn't sound like her use-case is very demanding. Those can often go for quite cheap when people upgrade or end up not using them and wanting to declutter.
Likes For surak:
Old 10-12-23, 11:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The only issue with the hub one is that you still have to worry about dropout spacing. But otherwise it's ideal for swapping bikes.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-12-23, 11:48 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The new Zwift Hub One might match your use-case, although I don't know if 7 speed works with it: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/10/...ks-review.html .

Alternatively get whatever smart trainer you want and buy a used wheel-on trainer for your spouse, as it doesn't sound like her use-case is very demanding. Those can often go for quite cheap when people upgrade or end up not using them and wanting to declutter.
That's about to be me - bought a new wheel-off trainer and will soon try to unload my old beloved Kurt Kinetic. I've been wondering if there will be any takers. Probably will ask $50 or $75.
Old 10-12-23, 11:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I bought a second trainer for everyone else in my family. It's in a closet now.
I'm pretty sure if I could put one of their bikes on my trainer, I would never have to do it.
Old 10-13-23, 09:54 AM
Darylb23

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wasn't aware of the Zwift Hub One. I'll have to look at that. Also, I'm an idiot, her bike is a 9 speed.
Old 10-21-23, 10:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My wife and I both use 11 speed so switching bikes worked for a while. This gets old when you have to do it a few times a week Take a bike off and hang it on a stand or reinstall the back wheel and then put the other bike on. and it is me that does it. The solution, I purchased a second Tacx Neo 2T and now I have each bike ready to go. It also means I can go 12 speed and she can keep her 11 speed. I use my trainer 5 times a week and she uses it 2-3 times. I don’t regret purchasing the second trainer.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 10-22-23, 03:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Darylb23
I wasn't aware of the Zwift Hub One. I'll have to look at that. Also, I'm an idiot, her bike is a 9 speed.
Just be aware that the Zwift Hub One virtual gear shift currently only works with Zwift. Other Apps are unable to access the gear shift function.
Likes For PeteHski: