Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

If so, how?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 09:06 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
If so, how?

Has anyone here managed to get back down to just two?
I’m pushing 72, and realized some time ago that the likelihood of my ever again needing the coupled bike for travel is slim to none (unless I decide to do Eroica Cuba). I have two more hanging frame sets and three riders, one of which I have officially given to the man who visits friends for a month annually. Still, it lives here. If I could get down to two—-one in reserve, I could also do away with these boxes and boxes of components; the tools would have to stay, of course.
The ‘how’ of which I speak is an an emotional one.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 02-12-24, 09:25 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 611 Posts
I'll be happy if I can get down to 20! Of course you have to stop buying them first but I'm doing better. I only bought 2 framesets last year, both very early in the year so they almost don't count LOL and only1 this year........
Old 02-12-24, 09:59 AM
Dean51 

Bikes: '8? Ciocc Mockba 80, '82 Ron Cooper, '84 Allez, '86 Tommasini Racing, '86? Klein Quantum, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '95 Trek 5500, '98 Litespeed Classic, '98 S-Works Mtb

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 122 Posts
I'm pushing 73 and I've been holding steady at nine bikes for a few years now. I ride 'em all and, currently, have no desire to thin the herd. One of the best parts of having this many bikes is observing the reaction of others when they see the fleet. I often sense they are dying to ask why one person needs so many bikes, but don't.

OP, good luck getting down to two.

Dean
Old 02-12-24, 10:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I am 69 and ride the rotation of my bikes . Yesterday I actually did a coin toss to choose the bike! I have most of my bikes (about a dozen) at my tool grinding shop in Ventura and some of my customers think it is crazy to have so many. They are ready to ride and get ridden from time to time. I sold a bike last year and , although I hated to part with it , it just wasn't comfy enough because it was a bit small. I have another one that I may sell off this year but I'm in no hurry. It would take a VERY unique situation for me to buy any more . I have one that is very near completion that I will finish and ride but that's it . I think as we age , if no younger folks come into the C&V arena , the market will (is ) reflect this. I am seeing some incredible deals in my area , recently a 70's Motobecane Grand Jubile with Campagnolo derailleurs and SunTour bar ends for $150. It's been on CL for months!!!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-12-24, 10:57 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I'm 36 and currently have eight bicycles - including one frameset with almost no components, two complete bicycles in need of full restoration, and five that are ready to ride. My goal is to be down to three bicycles by the end of 2024. I have sold four in the last couple of months and have purchased two, so I'm heading in the right direction...

Importantly, I've had to change my perception about vintage cycling and what bicycles mean to me as collectable objects to begin making this happen. I've been an obsessive collector of things since childhood, preferring to have neatly arranged rows of classic action figures and ogle at price guides rather than play with my toys since I was about six or seven years old. I consider it a habit breaking exercise.

-Gregory
Old 02-12-24, 11:15 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I have been down this road before. I will feel like I have too many bikes for some reason(storage, too much maintenance, lack of use of some) and will sell a few off. The smallest number of bikes I have had in the past 20 years is 2. The largest number is 6, where I am at now. So guess who's thinking of selling 2 or 3? Let the insanity continue.
Old 02-12-24, 11:20 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
For better or worse, I find it very difficult to find vintage bikes that fit me well (long legs, short torso) in the type I desire (sport touring, nice tubing). I of course am willing to make exceptions using tall stems and compacts bars, like with my Raleigh that is 56cm square since it's such a nice frame. But this keeps the stable down to 2 no problem.

Also it helps that I only use my bikes for road riding and light dirt trails. I don't commute, I don't mountain bike, I don't gravel, I don't tour (yet), and I don't restore. Though I do really miss my 1988 Miyata MTB.

Final trick: move into a 500 square foot apartment. It's certainly "helpful" in reducing clutter. Want to house swap?
Old 02-12-24, 11:23 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I am slowly trimming the herd and have "gifted" two bikes to deserving vintagistas.

prices and the market are depressed right now but it's best if those bikes find deserving homes.

at least that's how I see it

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-12-24, 01:04 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Just two?? You have to be kidding! How can any C&Ver feed his/her madness with just two C&V bikes??!
We don't play that!!......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-12-24, 01:19 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
When Im in the garage and start thinking that maybe I might have a bicycle collection/hoarding problem , I go hangout with some friends that have 40 or more bicycles and it tames whatever issue I might have with my "collecting" situation.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-12-24, 01:26 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
So many bikes, so little time, $$$$$$, energy, etc.

I have plenty I should start culling now, not happening and not sure what I will do, hopefully get them organized a bit to fully assess the pile and make some very preliminary moves.

The sheer chaos of it is part of the whole thing, I put a lot of work into winding it up, that momentum is a big part of it all, I could probably build 10 bikes from the ground up with stock on hand atmo and plan to do some in the next year along with several other projects big and small.

As a footnote my son has a good sense of what this is but will be instructed to do whatever he sees fit if it comes to that, he can give them away or dig in if he wants.

Last edited by merziac; 02-12-24 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-12-24, 01:46 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I'm sure my younger brother's wife, secretly hates me now, because I convinced him to be a C&Ver about eight years ago.
His stable is now maintaining about 20+ bike count (Of mostly, C&V bikes), the last time I asked him, and he's just starting to consider putting the brakes on a bit to start controlling the "situation" at his house and garage.....
He told me he should be done acquiring C&V bikes, after he finds the perfect 80's Bianchi of his dreams.....but then, he said something similar before he bought a Colnago and a Guerciotti, not so long ago.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-12-24 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-12-24, 02:28 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Piff
For better or worse, I find it very difficult to find vintage bikes that fit me well (long legs, short torso) in the type I desire (sport touring, nice tubing). I of course am willing to make exceptions using tall stems and compacts bars, like with my Raleigh that is 56cm square since it's such a nice frame. But this keeps the stable down to 2 no problem.

Also it helps that I only use my bikes for road riding and light dirt trails. I don't commute, I don't mountain bike, I don't gravel, I don't tour (yet), and I don't restore. Though I do really miss my 1988 Miyata MTB.

Final trick: move into a 500 square foot apartment. It's certainly "helpful" in reducing clutter. Want to house swap?
Storage is my issue. I want to enclose a small portion of the shop and put an air conditioner in there. The fourth (the one I’m storing for yet another friend) of four is in the way.
Old 02-12-24, 02:30 PM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I am slowly trimming the herd and have "gifted" two bikes to deserving vintagistas.

prices and the market are depressed right now but it's best if those bikes find deserving homes.

at least that's how I see it

/markp
I am tending to agree. Building up those three frame sets and moving them along would, in and of itself, reduce the component clutter.
Old 02-12-24, 02:36 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I've let go of a few in the past three years. It's not easy. I'll probably sell another this year. The decision is getting harder.
Old 02-12-24, 02:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I'm sure my younger brother's wife, secretly hates me now, because I convinced him to be a C&Ver about eight years ago.
His stable is now maintaining about 20+ bike count (of mostly, C&V bikes), the last time I asked him. Ajd he's just starting to consider putting the brakes on a bit to start controlling the "situation" at his house and garage.....
He told me he should be done acquiring C&V bikes, after he finds the perfect 80's Bisnchi of his dreams.....but thrn, he said something similar before he bought a Colnago and a Guerciotti, not so long ago.....
Just tell her you guys are going to take up serious golf too.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-12-24, 03:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I went from 8 to 5 by giving 3 bikes to family/friend. The 5 I have left I am having difficulty deciding what's next. I really like riding all of them, and would certainly remember the ride they had, but actually miss them, not really. I know as long as I have a good ride that is operating as it should, and I can still ride it comfortably, I will be OK with that. The real drawback is the low money they would likely bring in. Getting $500 for a nice bike that you know you could not replace for anywhere close to that, and include the hassle of making the sale, and the transfer of the bike by whatever means are used, it is not a very attractive scenario.
At some point in time, sooner would be better than later, I will have to decide what goes, stick with it and get what I can for them. The bikes and the dollars are certainly factors, but the time, effort, and satisfaction, that is really hard to let go.
Old 02-12-24, 04:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have thinned the herd a number of times, but it always grows back to 12. I sell the more modern stuff because they are easy sales. The vintage stuff I give away to someone that will actually put them to use. I had two Fuji Finest from the early 80's and gave them away, same with two Miyata 615 and one Fuji Touring Series V. All of them were stock and in very good condition and fully rehabbed. They went to younger people that needed transportation and I know they were put to good use. One of the many bikes I gave away about 4 years ago showed up in a local bike co-op. It was missing the wheels and that was it. Even the Cannondale velcro water bottle was still on it.

I am going to thin the herd again this fall, but this time it is permanent. So I say.
Old 02-12-24, 08:49 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I am 56 and have 3 bikes. 2 road (1 light-ish road bike, 1 Rando bike (fenders/lights/rack) & 1 mountain bike converted for rail trail riding with my wife.
Just gave a Dawes Super Galaxy to my son's friend for him to take to college.
I have a blue PX10 frame to get rid of next.
Then, a Nuovo record mini-group I don't want or need and box of random parts to re-home.
After that ,most everything else (extra stuff for the bikes I have) should keep me set for a long time.

I always look for stuff and am always excited when I find something cool but rarely do the additional things I find seem to stick around anymore.
Old 02-12-24, 09:23 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Yes, but only because I finally got a frame that fit me and everything else just doesn't feel right.

However, I'm actively trying to find more frames in that size, so my small stable probably won't stay that way.

This isn't counting the garage full of bikes I'm building that don't fit me though, right?
Old 02-12-24, 09:52 PM
bikef.f354s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I feel like 3 is my current sweet spot. 1 fs MTB, 1 gravelish bike that can run 50mm tyres and a road bike for hills.

I know some folks use different wheels on a gravel bike for road, but its not going to help me ditch the complexity and weight of disc brakes.

Plus, since I don't want to weld on disc brakes to a vintage frame, the road bike is my only option for my vintage desires.