Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Look vs. Shimano Pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Look vs. Shimano Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 03:13 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Look vs. Shimano Pedals

Okay everyone, I know that this topic has probably been beat to death. But I must ask: which pedal allows for easy clipping in and clipping out of? I plan on doing my first triathlon soon (sprint), and for that purpose I'm getting my first professional bike fit. In speaking with the fitter, I mentioned that I still use the old-style campy clip pedals. He suggested that I switch to clipless and that I get a set of Looks, as he says "it's easier to clip out of them." I've never heard that before. So I turn to this informative Forum for your thoughts. Topic isn't so much "which is better", but which is generally considered easier to get in and out of. Thanks!
Old 03-12-24, 03:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
IMO, speedplay zero.
Old 03-12-24, 03:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I’ve seen a lot of triathletes preset their shoes onto the pedal while it’s sitting in the transition area, they then slip their feet into to shoes as they start to ride. If you choose to start the bike leg that way, won’t matter Look or Shimano. They are pretty similar in function as BTW, I’ve used both, not really much difference.
Old 03-12-24, 03:22 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks Steve B. Which brand did you prefer? I have wide feet, so I was advised that Shimano gives a larger platform in most models.
Old 03-12-24, 03:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks Steve B. Which brand did you prefer? I have wide feet, so I was advised that Shimano gives a larger platform in most models.
I no longer use road pedals, I use SPD mt bike pedals on all my bikes. I used to use Look before SPD had been introduced , then switched to SPD. Then went to SPD-L many years later to try to solve a pain issue under the joint of my small toe, thinking a wider cleat. Didn’t help, I ended up with Shimano carbon soled SPD shoes, that solved the problem.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-12-24 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 05:40 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I think Looks are very easy. Mates with SPDSL seem to faff more but I confess I’ve never tried them so that could be them tightening them up too much or something. I have pretty wide feet (size 45 EU) and Keos seem a very stable platform.

Also watched a sprint Tri recently and not convinced the prepping of the shoes in the pedals saved anyone any time for those that did it.
Old 03-12-24, 05:48 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I have been using Look ARC pedals since almost thirty years and no problems
Old 03-12-24, 09:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
I have purchased and used Look Keo and the Shimano equivalent. The look pedals in my opinion were a royal PITA. They were tough to clip into, which if you search the internet is a common complaint - until I shimmed the front-most bolt. Then when off the saddle, the D@mn things creaked and groaned - another common complaint found on the interwebs. And I had been a very happy Look Delta user for 25 years - so thought these should be a big improvement - WRONG - they really blew it. I bought three pairs to outfit most of my frequently ridden bikes and they all had the same issues, regardless of price - even the spendy carbon fiber.

Bought the Shimano equivalent and they are easy to clip in and out of, and best of all don’t creak. Shimano is the hands-down winner.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-12-24, 11:22 PM
choddo

I have to say I haven’t had the first problem - and I have mine on the middle tension setting and the second only appeared once they were old, maybe 20,000 miles, and bearings a bit knackered.

Having said that, I use Keo compatible Assioma power pedals now.
Old 03-13-24, 03:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Ride with your running shoes and your clip pedals. This will save a lot of time in T2.
Old 03-13-24, 03:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I find Shimano SPD-L very easy to clip out of and reasonably easy to clip in. I have no recent experience with Look pedals.
Old 03-13-24, 05:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Well, the easiness will be determined by the tension in your spring, which you can adjust.

My vote goes to Shimano.
Old 03-13-24, 06:40 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I used the same Look Delta pedals from 1986 to 2018 and had only one complaint, they creaked. The interface between the pedal and cleat creaked and I had to lube them before every ride. Finally in 2018 I switched to Shimano as the Look pedal body had simply worn out and am very happy I did. It took my son to convince me to make the move. They don't creak at all and the cleat seems to be wearing better as well.

As for quick pedal entry the Shimano mountain pedals can't be beat. Just step on the pedal, which is two sided, and go.
Old 03-13-24, 06:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ride with your running shoes and your clip pedals. This will save a lot of time in T2.
This, if it's a sprint tri. Afterwards you can evaluate and think about where you want to go from there. You might find out tri is not for you. If you decide to move on to clipless, here's how to do it. Get some cheap 2 sided pedals with one side being flat. Get the cheapest set of shoes you can find that will clip into thoes pedals. Borrowed, used, damaged, etc. This pedal/shoe combo is strictly for transitioning to clipless. I found a damaged/returned pair of shoes in the returned section at REI for $25. Clip one foot in and leave the other on the flat side. Go for a ride. Practice clipping in and out with the clipped in side. Switch sides. Repeat and rinse. Work up to clipping in both sides. Keep riding and repeating the process. Eventually it'll stick or it won't. Once you get it, then you can invest some real money into better pedals/shoes.

Last edited by seypat; 03-13-24 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-13-24, 09:33 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Shimano SPD-SL, it's what I started with, and I see no reason to change. Been really liking the recent upgrade to the R8000 pedals with the wider base and +4mm Q Factor, very nice.

I'm putting flats on my old bike
Old 03-16-24, 02:26 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Number 1 rule would be “don’t use new kit in your first tri.” You’re probably just as quick using runners and toe clips for the 20km bike leg.

If you want to ride in clipless, and haven’t done it before, I would recommend a 2-bolt system (SPD or Crank Bros) with a recessed cleat in a walkable shoe as a starter, and go to the 3-bolt systems in the future, if you feel the need. The 2-bolt pedals are easier to get used to, and you can get pedals with a flat side so even if you don’t clip in at first, you can still get yourself moving forward, and then clip in once you have momentum.
Old 03-16-24, 07:41 AM
dilbert2000

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
I bought Garmin Vectors a while back. They use Look pedals. I still have them on my trainer bike, so I am now married to Look pedals.
They do creak, it's annoying.
Old 03-18-24, 08:37 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
IMO, speedplay zero.
As a long-time Speedplay user I totally disagree. Speedplay (in my experience) is the most difficult pedal for clipping in and clipping out. There is no tension adjustment.

I've also noticed a steady decline in the longevity / durability of the Speedplay pedals. My last pair of Nano pedals lasted three months before they had to be replaced under warranty. My last pair of Zero pedals lasted less than six months before they had to be replaced under warranty. In both cases the right pedal developed significant lateral play. Not sure what's going on, but it's not good.

If you want easy, go with Shimano SPD-SL.
Old 03-18-24, 10:14 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by dilbert2000
I bought Garmin Vectors a while back. They use Look pedals. I still have them on my trainer bike, so I am now married to Look pedals.
They do creak, it's annoying.
They use Look cleats

I have Favero power pedals which use Look cleats. They don’t creak.

I think Keo Blade Carbons, their most expensive pedals, are the most prone to creaking. In my experience.
Old 03-18-24, 11:58 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Leinster
Number 1 rule would be “don’t use new kit in your first tri.” You’re probably just as quick using runners and toe clips for the 20km bike leg.

If you want to ride in clipless, and haven’t done it before, I would recommend a 2-bolt system (SPD or Crank Bros) with a recessed cleat in a walkable shoe as a starter, and go to the 3-bolt systems in the future, if you feel the need. The 2-bolt pedals are easier to get used to, and you can get pedals with a flat side so even if you don’t clip in at first, you can still get yourself moving forward, and then clip in once you have momentum.
He’s going to have to use them a first time at some point, might as well be whatever tri is first. He needs to practice on bike/run transitions in training is all, so he has it down to get on the bike and into the shoe, even if that means riding around a parking lot getting used to it.
Old 03-18-24, 12:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Is there a lot of clipping in and clipping out in Triathlons? I always imagined, but I don't do Tris, that you clip in once, and out once.
Old 03-18-24, 12:55 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is there a lot of clipping in and clipping out in Triathlons? I always imagined, but I don't do Tris, that you clip in once, and out once.
Twice. Start of the bike leg and finish. I have seen triathletes set up with their shoes mounted on the pedals, they run barefoot to the start point in the transition area where they are allowed to start riding, they then and while rolling, pop their feet into the shoes, and buckle up (engage Velcro or BOA). If you want to take the time and are not competing for place, you just put on the shoes in the transition area, then run in your bike shoes to the point you can mount onto the bike, this method takes longer. At end of bike leg, you just get your foot out of the shoe while it’s still in the pedal leaving it there and run barefoot to the bike storage section and put in your running shoes. I have known folks who use old style caged pedals and ride in their running shoes.
Old 03-18-24, 02:18 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
I find the Look and Shimano pedals almost identical in relation to clipping in and out.
Old 03-18-24, 02:38 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Twice. Start of the bike leg and finish. I have seen triathletes set up with their shoes mounted on the pedals, they run barefoot to the start point in the transition area where they are allowed to start riding, they then and while rolling, pop their feet into the shoes, and buckle up (engage Velcro or BOA). If you want to take the time and are not competing for place, you just put on the shoes in the transition area, then run in your bike shoes to the point you can mount onto the bike, this method takes longer. At end of bike leg, you just get your foot out of the shoe while it’s still in the pedal leaving it there and run barefoot to the bike storage section and put in your running shoes. I have known folks who use old style caged pedals and ride in their running shoes.
They even attach the shoes to the chainstays with elastic bands which then snap off, to keep them horizontal for getting their feet in more easily. I don’t think it makes enough difference to bother with and would just change into the shoes
normally. Maybe that’s my lack of marginal gains though :-)
Old 03-19-24, 06:26 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I started with Look Keo and, after a few years, switched to Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL. Found both to be about the same with perhaps a slight edge to Shimano when clipping in and out. With that said, though, the Looks were my first set of clipless pedals, so there was a learning curve involved.

Last edited by oldwinger14; 03-20-24 at 06:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.