Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm starting to rethink buying a really nice bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm starting to rethink buying a really nice bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 01:46 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by H1449-6
Corrected to read 98% the legs, lungs and heart (aka will) and 2% the bike.

The poseurs on this forum who like to match their bar tape to the sidewalls on their tires don't understand this.

Hallelujah!
Old 05-02-06, 04:34 PM
WD_40

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Trek 1200, Specialized Rockhopper FSR, Specialized Enduro Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started racing crits, I was afraid of messing up my Kestrel Talon, so I raced my Trek 1200 thinking that "it's not about the bike." The eye-opening day for me was when I raced my Trek in a crit on Saturday and my Kestrel in a RR on Sunday.

Wow, what a difference - especially in sprinting. The Trek's lack of bottom bracket stiffness is really noticable in a hard sprint or hard climb. The Kestrel is much more lively when you really get on it hard.

So yes, it's not all about the bike, but the bike does play a part. Now I ride my Kestrel all the time and the Trek is relegated to the stationary trainer and commuting.
Old 05-02-06, 05:28 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
So wait, are you saying you'll ride in a crit on a cheap aluminum frame to save your carbon bike but without medical insurance is no problem? I never understood that "flesh heels, bikes don't" mentality. It's a bike! An inanimate object that can be replaced, and to the best of my knowledge doesn't feel pain. Anyway, whatever you want to do, more power to you.
I'm not in the habit of replacing a $3,000 bike on a yearly basis. Plus....I actually like mine a lot. In fact, I would take my '04 5200 over a brand new 5.9SL. So yeah.....I will glady get a "cheap" $1,200 or so aluminum bike to race with and beat the crap out of. When that frame breaks, replace it with a $500-$600 AL frame and I'm good to go.

And I WOULDN'T race without medical insurance. Broken bones can be expensive. Not sure how it got misconstrued the other way.
Old 05-04-06, 09:23 PM
ICU Doc
Prodigal Son

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Cannondale CAAD10, Brompton

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One problem with this philosophy (which I actually find to be completely understandable as I did this with a really nice bike and a favorite beater years ago) is that you will find that when you want to upgrade, you've hardly ridden your "nice" bike. It's been not much more than an ornament, and then you want to move onto something else without really having had any pleasure from it. Though a poor analogy, it's a bit like people who buy really fancy clothes that they are afraid to wear, and then find that they are out of season (my mom did this all the time) when they finally put them on years later.
Old 05-05-06, 06:48 PM
rapidcarbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's all about the bike, If Lance rode a huffy, he wouln't win a single TDF. It's all about the bike, that's why Lance even installed a downtube shifter to make it lighter. It's all about the bike, that's why they ride TT bikes for TT event to get the all the advantages they can get.

When you train the best you could, then the bike is the only thing you can improve.

Oh, I can beat Lance easily with my steel bike if he rides my kid's bike. So, it's all about the bike j/k
Old 05-05-06, 09:46 PM
Apollo
Ottrott SE Rider

Bikes: Klein Qprocarbon, Lemond Tete de Course, Serotta Ottrott SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..rethinking a bike

furiousferret,

Bikes are like computers when you're looking. There are soooo many choices. My wife has had her Litespeed for about four years now and had been "looking" for about two years on her "next" bike. She did a lot of research and finally decided to get a Titus Exogrid...its still weeks away, but I'm sure it will be worth it. I guess it really doesn't matter what you get as long as it fits, makes you want to ride and you enjoy it.

~Apollo
Old 05-05-06, 10:03 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rapidcarbon
it's all about the bike, If Lance rode a huffy, he wouln't win a single TDF. It's all about the bike, that's why Lance even installed a downtube shifter to make it lighter.
ah, a Huffy; an extreme example! What if he was riding his Caloi?

Armstrong was obviously one of the best climbers we've ever seen, but even he didn't beat Tony Rominger's time up the 7.5km Col de Madrone until 2000, but Rominger set his record on a steel Colnago.......I think

What Indurain was still riding these bikes?

Last edited by 531Aussie; 05-05-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 10:12 PM
531Aussie

I know it's fun to have nice stuff, and if, for eg, someone is buying new wheels, then why not have the 1500g set instead of the 1900g set?! But, we all know that some of us secretly believe that our newest piece of stuff will make us 3mph faster!! I reckon we'd all be better off obsessing over our training or our position on the bike, rather than equipment
Old 05-05-06, 10:55 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously I built my 2nd bike not to long ago and the parts are all scratched up. My shifters have taken 2 directs hits from crashes and now I don't even have the little bezel covers on them anymore. LOL, I remember when I used to be careful leaning the bike up against something because I wanted the shifters to always look pristine. I haven't even had this current bike a year and now I don't care.

LOL.....It still looks good a few feet away though.
Old 05-05-06, 11:00 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
LOL.....It still looks good a few feet away though.
exactly!! A few chips don't stop a great looking bike from looking great
Old 05-05-06, 11:12 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The poseurs on this forum who like to match their bar tape to the sidewalls on their tires don't understand this.
Crap! I have black handlebar tape AND black sidewalls. What a poseur I am!
Old 05-05-06, 11:19 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I matched my bar tape to my sidewalls to my saddle to my pedals to my frame! I stopped racing years ago, and am extremely slow due to too much time off the bike. It's like penis envy, I gotta make up for it by looking good! lol

edit: forgot to mention I matched one of my kits to the same scheme. I'm sick, somebody commit me.

Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
And I WOULDN'T race without medical insurance. Broken bones can be expensive. Not sure how it got misconstrued the other way.
Ahh, cool. I must have read it wrong. I completely understand not wanting to replace a $3000 bike after every crash. But that's why I don't own a $3000 bike.
Old 05-05-06, 11:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
Crap! I have black handlebar tape AND black sidewalls. What a poseur I am!
Now if you have a black saddle too, that's just unacceptable!
Old 05-05-06, 11:23 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ICU Doc
One problem with this philosophy (which I actually find to be completely understandable as I did this with a really nice bike and a favorite beater years ago) is that you will find that when you want to upgrade, you've hardly ridden your "nice" bike. It's been not much more than an ornament, and then you want to move onto something else without really having had any pleasure from it. Though a poor analogy, it's a bit like people who buy really fancy clothes that they are afraid to wear, and then find that they are out of season (my mom did this all the time) when they finally put them on years later.
I've said this so many times before.

Most bike stuff is a waste of money to be honest. Even ultegra 6600 is overkill, but to me that is still "very useable but not pedastal type stuff"

Bike stuff reminds me of fitness equipment (although I would say bikes have slightly better resale) in that they are a crappy investment unless they get used and enjoyed.
Old 05-05-06, 11:24 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
. . .From everything I've read, the best value bike seems to be around 2k (pedal force, specialized roubaix, etc) and past that there are diminishing returns.
I'd agree as for steel, but it's getting where an all-reynolds bike with components making it worth $2K are rare now: they're usually cheaper unless they're a limited production niche bike and then the price is double. You almost have to buy used to get a great all steel bike and then is only $1K or less. And, for a all-CF bike, your "best value" figure probably is around $3k. That's been my experience.
Old 05-06-06, 06:37 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Ferret, you're a man after my own heart. I just don't like to take out a great bike that I paid a lot of money for. That's why I wait for real steals and then grab a good bike on the cheap and build it up slowly as I get super deals on components.

For instance, my C40 I picked up for a song off of Ebay since it came up at exactly the wrong time for everyone else and I was one of the few bidders. That was a bare frame and fork. I put it together with Chorus and Kyserium SSL's that I got from a race team for half price almost used and I think that I have about $1,400 in the bike all told. About the same in my Merckx Ex titanium bike.

The Basso Loto which has to be the overwhelming nicest steel bike I've owned has about $1,200 in it.

But I paid full lick for the Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1 - $3,600 when I bought in 1996 or so. And because of the price I never rode it much.

But check this out - my brother found a Fuji Newest frame on craigslist and bought it for me for Christmas. I put that together for about $600 and it is easily one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

Expensive doesn't translate to great. The Colnago C40 is a really nice bike but there's nothing special about it. My old '82 Colnago Super with a new paint job and modern Campy parts on the other hand turned into a world beater when I added the carbon fiber fork. The old fork had been too stiff and the bike was transformed from a crappy riding speed wobbling POS to a GREAT, MEMORABLE ride with that one change.

And check this out - a woman in our club was having problems with her back. She had been riding a bike with too long a top tube all along and wouldn't listen to people telling her so until her back started giving her trouble as her mileage went up.

She went out to find a bike that fit her better and the only thing she could find was a new Trek 1500 which looked pretty good to me. She then transferred all of the Campy components off of her "good" bike onto the Trek and you can see the difference in her riding immediately. And she feels a lot better now as well.

So don't worry about "good bikes". There's nothing special about the frame material. I have carbon, aluminum, steel and titanium. I prefer the titanium ride but there's almost nothing in between the Merckx Ex, the Look KG141, the Basso Loto and the Fuji.

And I find myself using the Look a lot and the Fuji a lot. The others are summer bikes.
A thoughtful review Tom.
George