Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scott CR-1: Beautiful frame - anybody here have one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 07:12 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I saw a totally tricked out 2006 Scott CR-1 carbon fiber bike with every bike weenie trick part in the catalog on it on Saturday. Zero G brakes, Stronglight Pulsion CF crankset, Zipps, the works. This bike felt like it weighed less than 14 lbs (owner said 12.9, add in the weight weenie bull**** factor and you get 14 lbs or so). But man, what a super schwag bicycle in person. Photos do NOT do this rig justice. I haven't been that impressed by a bike in a while. Man that thing looked trick. I was pretty tired from lots of miles or I would have taken the guy up on his kind offer to let me ride it around the block (it was my precisely the right size for me, 56cm).

Anyone have this bike? I'd love to hear impressions/reviews!
Old 05-08-06, 07:17 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes it seems like half of the people at the weight weenies forum have built a bike with the 900g CR-1 frame...

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/ph...wforum.php?f=3

Search the forum topics for CR1 or CR-1
Old 05-08-06, 07:47 PM
Sapper89

Bikes: Look 586, Look 566, Ghost SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gilberto Simonei has one - kind of ugly in the pink scheme shown on velonews.
Old 05-08-06, 07:49 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a pretty awesome frame. The only flaw in my eyes is the lack of a replaceable derailleur hanger....but in reality I'm not sure if this is really even worth mentioning.

But I like the geometry.
Old 05-08-06, 08:14 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2005 CR1 Pro. I absolutely love this bike. In the past I have been known to ride a bike for a few months, sell it, then buy something new/different. That thought has never even entered my mind since I bought this bike. I have been thinking about going weight weenie with it but every time I start pricing parts (i.e. $$$$$) I change my mind.

My 1410 gram wheels will be here tomorrw and I am thinking about going with a carbon stem and handlebar. I have never weighed my bike and probably never will...I just love to ride it. It is a 61cm so it will never be under 15 pounds but that is quite alright with me.

Last edited by kevinmcdade; 05-08-06 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 08:36 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
patentcad, were you at the MS150 in dallas this weekend? I swear I saw the bike you just described, and resisted the urge to trade cranksets
Old 05-08-06, 11:08 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Eatadonut
patentcad, were you at the MS150 in dallas this weekend? I swear I saw the bike you just described, and resisted the urge to trade cranksets

Saw this bike outside Cyclesport bicycle shop in Park Ridge, NJ. Cyclesport is arguably the Bike Weenie epicenter of the entire Northeastern USA.
Old 05-08-06, 11:19 PM
64deville

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Cannondale R700 Stars and Stripes Edition, Cannondale R900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to rain on the parade of this otherwise positive review of the Scott CR-1, but I was loaned a full bike recently and was unimpressed. It was a CR-1 frame with full Ultegra and Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels and I thought it was slow compared to my 2005 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD 8 Frame) with full Ultegra and Mavic SL's. I had the exact same component set on my R1000 (wheels and groupo) and I feel my R1000 is a far, far superior frame and bike.
Old 05-09-06, 05:34 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 64deville
Kysrium Elite wheels and I thought it was slow compared to my 2005 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD 8 Frame) with full Ultegra and Mavic SL's.
I always thought it was the engine, not the bicycle.
Old 05-09-06, 06:25 AM
onkey
IF/Parlee/Sachs/Legend ST

Bikes: Parlee, Richard Sachs, Serotta Legend, IF Crown Jewel (2), IF Planet Cross, Serotta CSI (2)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I saw a totally tricked out 2006 Scott CR-1 carbon fiber bike with every bike weenie trick part in the catalog on it on Saturday. Zero G brakes, Stronglight Pulsion CF crankset, Zipps, the works. This bike felt like it weighed less than 14 lbs (owner said 12.9, add in the weight weenie bull**** factor and you get 14 lbs or so). But man, what a super schwag bicycle in person. Photos do NOT do this rig justice. I haven't been that impressed by a bike in a while. Man that thing looked trick. I was pretty tired from lots of miles or I would have taken the guy up on his kind offer to let me ride it around the block (it was my precisely the right size for me, 56cm).

Anyone have this bike? I'd love to hear impressions/reviews!
My CR-1 isn't all tricked out but it's still very light and more importantly, rides like a rocket.

Last edited by onkey; 05-11-06 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 06:32 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

After giving this some thought it occurs to me that one of the things that really impressed me about this bike was it's light weight. 2.5-3 lbs. lighter than my Cannondale Six13. But only about 10 oz. of that is the lighter frame (the Six13 weighs in at about 2 lbs, 10 oz or so). So most of that is just schwag parts like the Zipp wheels, the carbon seat from hell (I really don't think I could handle one of those), the Stronglight cranks, zero G brakes. After all, 100 grams here and 100 grams there (and 300 grams on the wheelset with tubular tires) and pretty soon you're talking about some real weight.

Onkey's CR-1 does prove you can have the lightest frame on the planet and still have a bike that's not super light. Light, but not crazy light. That takes light frame + expensive parts. Oh well. Once you're under 17lbs I'm not sure it's really all that critical anyway. That's pretty damn light. I'm sure a Scott frame with heavy parts is still in that range.

Please remember the BFWWF (Bike Forum Weight Weenie Factor). That's CBFWW x 1.1587 = ANBSW (Claimed Bike Forum Weenie Weight x 1.1587 = Actual No Bull **** Weight)
Old 05-09-06, 06:45 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fmw
I always thought it was the engine, not the bicycle.
i did too, until last weekend

while my bike (tcr comp 0) isn't a weight weenies wet dream, it's still plenty light compared to my old c'dale 2.8. using the stepping on the scale w/bike technique my tcr is 17 lbs exact, and i'd hazzard a guess that my c'dale is around 20 lbs, prob more.

anyway - last weekend was the first time i raced the tcr. it performed amazingly well. i'm sure that it's the placebo effect of a new bike, but i'm not arguing.

as patentcad wrote - anything under 17 lbs and you're in the ballpark
Old 05-09-06, 06:46 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Please remember the BFWWF (Bike Forum Weight Weenie Factor). That's CBFWW x 1.1587 = ANBSW (Claimed Bike Forum Weenie Weight x 1.1587 = Actual No Bull **** Weight)
Okay....You are getting really annoying. WTF is wrong with you? If you want to be a jerk, just STFU and go write one of those "My Ti frame writes like a dream" thread.
Old 05-09-06, 06:57 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 64deville
Sorry to rain on the parade of this otherwise positive review of the Scott CR-1, but I was loaned a full bike recently and was unimpressed. It was a CR-1 frame with full Ultegra and Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels and I thought it was slow compared to my 2005 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD 8 Frame) with full Ultegra and Mavic SL's. I had the exact same component set on my R1000 (wheels and groupo) and I feel my R1000 is a far, far superior frame and bike.
I feel the same way when I switch from my carbon bike to my steel or aluminum bike. The carbon frame absorbs a lot of the road feel and vibration that an aluminum frame does not, therefore, making you "feel" like you are moving faster or slower. I test rode a lot bikes before choosing my Scott and I still, to this day, know I made the right decision. Were any of the other bikes bad? No way. They were just not right for me. I would never bash another bike because it was not right for me.

Anyway...Here is my Scott CR1 Pro...