Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My First Handbuilt Custom Wheelset...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 08:35 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have owned ALOT of wheels over the past two years. I finally broke down and decided to have a set built up to my specifications. The wheelbuilder that I chose helped me pick my wheel components according to my weight and riding style. I wanted the lightest weight possible without giving up integrity. We decided on the White Industry H1 hubs, CX Ray spokes 28F and 32R, Alex Crostini R3.1/R3.2 rims. I was a little hesitant on the Alex rims but after speaking to several of his customers with similar builds the rims were highly recommended. My wheelset came out to be 1410 grams.

I received the wheels today, mounted some Michelin Race Pro2 tires, an Ultegra 10 speed cassette. I was only able to take them out for 25 miles today and so far I am very impressed. The wheels are VERY responsive...probably the most responsive and stiff that I have ever ridden. I love the H1 hubs. Silky smooth and spin forever. The freewheel has a nice rich click to it. I will do a more in depth review after I put a few more miles on them.

Old 05-09-06, 09:04 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen this builder's wheels on another forum and his work is highly regarded - you made a good choice. Enjoy!
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 05-10-06, 06:24 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great. My hand builts are also my favorite wheels. One comment, though. I'm getting a kick out of the Italian words people use to put brand names on their wheels. I have a pair of Topolino wheels which means little mouse in Italian. Crostini means toast. Strange names.
Old 05-10-06, 07:20 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blandin
I've seen this builder's wheels on another forum and his work is highly regarded - you made a good choice. Enjoy!
Thanks! I think this was the best wheel choice that I have made in some time. Now I want to sell off some of my other wheelsets to have him build me two more sets.
Old 05-10-06, 07:31 AM
RoadToad
Flatman

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much???
Old 05-10-06, 07:33 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadToad
How much???
$530 Shipped.
Old 05-10-06, 07:53 AM
fishmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking wheels!, How much do you weight?, and are these considered a wheel you can use for everyday riding?. I had Mike G. put the H1 hubs on a set of his Niobuim 30 rims, have put @ 300+ miles on them and love em. Is the 1410 weight with rim tape?
Old 05-10-06, 07:54 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice!

The white hubs are supposedly the best in the aftermarket (for road) although DT is lighter.

https://www.alexrims.com/

I want to get these Crostini 1.1/1.2 rims, but check out the ACF! That is a bad ass rim.
Old 05-10-06, 07:56 AM
TheCahill
Bike H4><0R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saw these in person yesterday, and they are a super sweet looking wheelset
Old 05-10-06, 07:59 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks great Kevin - really dig the white industry hubs. I'm going a step further and building my own set of wheels. Nothing fancy, just some open pro rims on ultegra hubs with straight 14 guage spokes. I'm contemplating having Excel Sports build me some custom DT Swiss Tubbies also for racing. Should be wicked light and w/32 spoke triple cross spokes, they should still be plenty strong.
Old 05-10-06, 08:11 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishmel
Great looking wheels!, How much do you weight?, and are these considered a wheel you can use for everyday riding?. I had Mike G. put the H1 hubs on a set of his Niobuim 30 rims, have put @ 300+ miles on them and love em. Is the 1410 weight with rim tape?
I weigh in at a feather light 195 pounds My builder assured me that these wheels will hold up to everyday usage. The weight is before rim tape. I seem to be pretty easy on wheels. I have a set of Rolf Prima Vigors that people thought for sure would be destroyed quickly. They are still straight as an arrow and I have had no problems with them. My next set that I have him build for me will probably use the Niobium or a similar rim.
Old 05-10-06, 08:21 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
Very nice!

The white hubs are supposedly the best in the aftermarket (for road) although DT is lighter.

https://www.alexrims.com/

I want to get these Crostini 1.1/1.2 rims, but check out the ACF! That is a bad ass rim.
Thanks! I have heard nothing but good things about the H1 hubs. So far, I am VERY impressed!!! I thought about doing the Crostini 1.1/1.2 setup but I already have too many wheelsets with that rim depth or close. That ACF is impressive. I wonder how much it costs. I will see what I can find out on it.

saw these in person yesterday, and they are a super sweet looking wheelset
As you could tell when you saw me yesterday, I am truly in love with this wheelset. It was 94 degrees and extremely humid and I still had a big grin on my face.

Looks great Kevin - really dig the white industry hubs. I'm going a step further and building my own set of wheels. Nothing fancy, just some open pro rims on ultegra hubs with straight 14 guage spokes. I'm contemplating having Excel Sports build me some custom DT Swiss Tubbies also for racing. Should be wicked light and w/32 spoke triple cross spokes, they should still be plenty strong.
Building my own will be my next step after I build up my first bike which should start in the next couple of weeks. I wish I could find a Scott frame like yours. You got a really good deal on that.

I am starting to learn that all of the fancy looking wheels are not necessarily the best. My Rolfs sure are pretty and cost me alot of money but these new wheels feel better.