Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo cassette on Shimano drivetrain?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-22, 03:09 AM
NikolajGregoric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I was wondering if it’s possible to run a campagnolo 12 speed cassette on the new ultegra 12 speed groupset. I am a junior and therefore have a gear rollout restriction. The biggest gear allowed is for example 52-14, but as there are still no shimano 12 speed cassettes with the smallest cog being 14, could I use a campy cassette instead (they offer such a size) or would it not work. I could probably use a smaller chainring, but it would have to be really small for the rollout to be inside the regulation with the smallest cog on the cassete being 11 and I don’t think the front deralieur would work with such a small chainring (I think it would have to be a 41).

Hope someone can answer my question and thank you in advance.
Old 05-07-22, 03:40 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The hubs are still different, so you can’t fit a Campy cassette to a Shimano hub.
But, from what I’ve read, the spacing is close enough so that as long as your wheel can take a Campy cassette, you can use the rest of your Shimano drivetrain.
Some non-Shimano wheels can be converted from Shimano pattern freehub to Campy pattern freehub.
Old 05-07-22, 04:09 AM
NikolajGregoric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
The hubs are still different, so you can’t fit a Campy cassette to a Shimano hub.
But, from what I’ve read, the spacing is close enough so that as long as your wheel can take a Campy cassette, you can use the rest of your Shimano drivetrain.
Some non-Shimano wheels can be converted from Shimano pattern freehub to Campy pattern freehub.
Yes, I was thinking of converting from shimano freehub to campy on my wheelset. Thank you for your reply.
Old 05-07-22, 07:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Campy doesn't make a 12 speed cassette starting with a 14 either. Maybe some other company makes a Campy compatible cassette.
Old 05-07-22, 09:09 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by NikolajGregoric
Hello,

I was wondering if it’s possible to run a campagnolo 12 speed cassette on the new ultegra 12 speed groupset. I am a junior and therefore have a gear rollout restriction. The biggest gear allowed is for example 52-14, but as there are still no shimano 12 speed cassettes with the smallest cog being 14, could I use a campy cassette instead (they offer such a size) or would it not work. I could probably use a smaller chainring, but it would have to be really small for the rollout to be inside the regulation with the smallest cog on the cassete being 11 and I don’t think the front deralieur would work with such a small chainring (I think it would have to be a 41).

Hope someone can answer my question and thank you in advance.
No, they don't. Every Campy 12 speed cassette starts w/ an 11t cog. Unless you change chainrings you're screwed with 12 speed. I haven't heard whether Shimano will make 12 speed junior cassettes or not. In the past they were the only one available.
Old 05-07-22, 09:28 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Maybe some other company makes a Campy compatible cassette.
Miche.