Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Helmet how much to spend?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 08:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts

I have always bought helmets at the lower end of the price range of standard brands. I kind of figured much of the difference was style and they all offered similar protection.

I recently broke my main helmet and as a result am riding with my backup. I wondered if some of the features of the higher end models might offer better protection or be cooler or otherwise more comfortable. Anyway to make a long story short I went against my previous habit and splurged by ordering a more expensive Smith Forefront 2. Even on sale it was about 3X the price of the low end Smith model. I ordered from REI and I have a local store so returning it will be easy if I don't like lt.

I have had a lot of head injuries over the years so cheaping out on helmets is probably dumb if the higher end models actually offer better protection.

I'd be curious on others thoughts on how much value they placed on the higher end models given that they are several times the cost of ones that meet the same standards. Thoughts?
Old 05-26-23, 09:41 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts
money well spent

I was impressed with the Session - Forefront 2 looks to be even better

Last edited by t2p; 05-26-23 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 02:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I want a helmet that is Mips certified and that fits me well. Many road helmets block my forward vision and this result in either neck strain or not noticing an obstacle in time to avoid it.

My current road helmet is the Bell Z20 Mips helmet and it does not block my view and it has an exceptional amount of ventalation so I keep cool even on hot days when grinding my way up a long step grade.

For mountain bike use I bought the Fox Racing Speedframe Pro helmet that provides more protection for my head.

Price for me is not important as I do not wear out my helmets.
Old 05-26-23, 02:16 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Calsun
Price for me is not important as I do not wear out my helmets.
Some claim you should replace them at some set interval. I have read the number of three years mentioned. I have not followed that or any other set interval, but I have crashed and cracked helmets fairly often. If I see any visible crack I definitely replace. If I crash hard enough to really ring my bell (headache and dizziness) I figure I should as well, but have not always done so in the past.
Old 05-26-23, 02:21 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by t2p
money well spent

I was impressed with the Session - Forefront 2 looks to be even better
I was also looking at the session, but went with the Forefront 2 after comparing the reviews. Also it was out of stock in my first and second choice of color in my size anyway. If the Forefront 2 arrives and I don't like it I could possibly wind up with a Session yet.
Old 05-26-23, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I love all my high end helmets! Less weight, more comfort and usually better ventilation and sometimes better protection. Really having a helmet that feels better on the head is just nice I want to wear it and don't notice it on the head but will protect me if needed. My favored helmets have been Lazer but I liked the Smith stuff when it came out and use their glasses often so may end up revisiting their stuff when it comes getting a new helmet.

My general rule is 5 years or if it has been crashed or dropped. I get one brain and a few cells to fill it I would rather not risk it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-27-23, 04:02 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love all my high end helmets! Less weight, more comfort and usually better ventilation and sometimes better protection.
I figured that was the case, but when I compared the Smith MTB models the weights listed were heavier as the price went up. The $250 Forefront 2 is 14 oz., the $170 Session 13 oz., The $120 Engage 2 $12 oz., and $85 Convoy 11 oz. That is not what I expected, but I assume that it is due to more protection. I haven't compare road helmets lately, but at some point in the past I do recall more expensive ones generally being lighter.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-27-23, 05:32 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,083 Posts

new helmets just a step up in protection compared to a vintage Sub 6 lol
Old 05-27-23, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My general rule is 5 years or if it has been crashed or dropped. I get one brain and a few cells to fill it I would rather not risk it.
That raises the question in my mind of when folks generally replace helmets.
  1. At some particular age (I don't, but mine probably don't often reach the age that I'd consider it any way)
  2. When dropped (I doubt that being dropped is likely to damage a helmet seriously given the relatively minimal weight, so this one is a no for me)
  3. Any time it contacts the ground in a crash (probably a good rule, but, if I followed it likely have spent thousands of dollars in just the last 10 years even with fairly low end helmets. This one is a maybe depending on how hard it hits the ground. It probably should be a yes, but for me it often isn't.)
  4. Any time you get your bell rung (this seems like it should be an obvious replacement)
  5. Any time you get an actual concussion (obvious replacement)
  6. Cracked helmet (obvious replacement)
Old 05-27-23, 10:22 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've had a yellow and orange Lazer with the MIPS certification. This is a very light helmet with good airflow. I've been able to comfortably add a thin wind beanie or Buff if too cold.
Old 05-27-23, 11:37 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I figured that was the case, but when I compared the Smith MTB models the weights listed were heavier as the price went up. The $250 Forefront 2 is 14 oz., the $170 Session 13 oz., The $120 Engage 2 $12 oz., and $85 Convoy 11 oz. That is not what I expected, but I assume that it is due to more protection. I haven't compare road helmets lately, but at some point in the past I do recall more expensive ones generally being lighter.
Huh I wonder what is going on, hopefully more protection though or maybe other useful features. I mostly know my road helmets getting lighter but I know some on the MTB side get more side panels or visors or things of that nature.

That raises the question in my mind of when folks generally replace helmets.
  1. At some particular age (I don't, but mine probably don't often reach the age that I'd consider it any way)
  2. When dropped (I doubt that being dropped is likely to damage a helmet seriously given the relatively minimal weight, so this one is a no for me)
  3. Any time it contacts the ground in a crash (probably a good rule, but, if I followed it likely have spent thousands of dollars in just the last 10 years even with fairly low end helmets. This one is a maybe depending on how hard it hits the ground. It probably should be a yes, but for me it often isn't.)
  4. Any time you get your bell rung (this seems like it should be an obvious replacement)
  5. Any time you get an actual concussion (obvious replacement)
  6. Cracked helmet (obvious replacement)
In terms of age I go by the recommended standards(ish) I am getting a tiny bit more risk averse as I get older but I don't mind getting something new and refreshing things anyway after that time. I will usually keep the helmet and use it for when I am maybe carrying a helmet along rather than when going out from house or some place to ride. Maybe I am doing a short distance and locking up or something where I will be wearing the helmet a bit less and needing to carry it or potentially lose it or forget it somewhere.

When I say dropped I do mean something significant not just a short fall to the ground. I certainly have dropped a helmet short distances accidentally and not worried too much but a higher drop especially say on an unforgiving surface I would likely replace. I don't have the technology to x-ray the helmet or see any internal damage. Better safe than sorry.

In terms of crashing if I know I haven't hit my head I might consider using the helmet but that is so rare for me that I would rather just replace it and be safe. Obviously you have to determine what you think is safe it is your brain and head but always keep in mind you get one and done.
Old 06-03-23, 12:28 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
If helmets hypothetically cost $2000 each and that was the price to adequately protect my brain whilst riding, I’d spend it.
I’ve had 2 serious concussions (1 LOC) and numerous blast wave concussive events in my life, and I wish I could regain function which has been diminished as a result.
I failed out of engineering school in undergrad due to TBI and reduced processing speed. I have daily headaches which are simply classified under the diagnosis of “migraine”. I have reduced ability to focus my eyes, what's called a “convergence deficit”. I also need tinted glasses and very heavy shaded sunglasses due to concussions. I lost some ability to hear due to both concussion and loud noise (my sensorineural loss has been partially due to concussion).
So take care of your brain regardless how much the helmet costs. Or simply quit cycling.
no amount of service-connected disability compensation from the VA has made up for what I’ve lost.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 06-03-23, 02:13 PM
staehpj1

I think after seeing and wearing my new Forefront 2 that it does most likely actually offer a good bit more protection. It looks really well made and has more high tech stuff going on. Everything about it seems to be high quality. I think it probably is worth the high price tag.

I do have one concern. The honey comb material (koroyd?) inside seems like it makes the airflow more restricted. I suspect it might get pretty hot in the summer. So far it hasn't been bad, but I get out at the crack of dawn to ride and the real Tallahassee summer heat has not yet kicked in.

Up until recently I really haven't found spending more got you anything but a lighter more stylish helmet It now seems like maybe they offer a good bit more protection. I have only looked at new MTB helmets. Road helmets I have not shopped for in a long time.
Old 06-04-23, 12:45 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
My kid and his friend went for a ride today on some fairly gnarly trails here in the Santa Cruz mtn. His friend crashed and was out cold. I'll quote myself for the rest of the story:

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Just brought him home from the hospital. Classic concussion but fortunately mild. Giro Switch mips probably saved his life. The helmet is toast. The jaw guard is cracked but held together. Lots of road rash (no knee pads). They spent a lot of time cleaning the wounds. I'm just grateful they didn't cheap out on the helmet. Apparently he was out cold and snoring.
I think that helmet is $275 or something. I feel it is safe to say at this point it was money well spent. Apparently it was quite a bit less expensive than the ER co-payment. A lesser helmet might have left an 18 year old kid about to graduate from high school and go off to college on a full engineering scholarship in a vegatative state.

Yeah, spend some money and get the best you can find.
Old 06-04-23, 05:24 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yeah, spend some money and get the best you can find.
I am not sure that was always the case. In the past I suspect that spending more got you a lighter better looking helmet that probably was better ventilated, but wasn't always better protection. Maybe that hasn't been the case for quite while, maybe it never was. I don't know. I do remember way back that many of the luminaries that I respected advised buying any Snell approved helmet including a cheap one. The assumption being that spending more probably didn't get you more protection in those days.

In the motorcycle world I recall that during that same period buying more expensive helmets was advised (I raced various.off road disciplines).

These days it definitely does look like a $250 does buy you more protection than a $70 helmet. Given that I have been the poster boy for concussion type head injuries over the years (not all of them cycling related), I wish I had had better helmets over my 72 years on this planet. I'd probably not have many of the issues that I have.
Old 06-04-23, 06:49 AM
staehpj1

I do have one concern. The honey comb material (koroyd?) inside seems like it makes the airflow more restricted. I suspect it might get pretty hot in the summer. So far it hasn't been bad, but I get out at the crack of dawn to ride and the real Tallahassee summer heat has not yet kicked in.
Just a little update. It was pretty sticky on my morning trail ride today and I could feel air flow between the koroyd and my head. I'll take that as a good sign. The gap is small though so in the heat of summer it might be worth keeping my hair buzzed short.

Also the dock for the glasses seems to work fine in the front if I flip the visor up, but not with the visor down. The dock in the back doesn't seem very secure with my glasses (not smith). I wouldn't trust my $$$ prescription sunglasses there. I was slightly dissappointed that the visor has to be up to stow my glasses. I do really like the visor though. It isn't in the field of view normally and sticks out just enough that I can lower my head to block the sun and kill the glare at sunrise. Also I haven't had any fogging issues. I think the whole setup is going to work out well. It should given that between the glasses and helmet I was out over $700. Worth it if it all performs as it should, but it would suck to spend that and not like the results.
Old 06-04-23, 08:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
There are helmet ratings or low-speed impact and high speed protection. The same helmets don't always do well in both sets of tests. I personally went for ones that did.

For mountain biking, you have to spend some money to get full-face protection.

But it's your brain, your insurance, your potential traumatic brain injury or shattered jaw.
Old 06-12-23, 10:09 AM
Extremeengineer

Bikes: 22 Kona Hei Hei CR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Last helmet I bought was nearly 5 years ago, a Specialized Propero III, so I think I am due. It was $100 on sale, but I expect I'll spend more 5 years later. Big thing for me is comfort, the Propero fits my head shape, but the lack of padding on much of the interior has not been ideal. My problem is I don't want to buy online because of fit concerns, but LBS stocks very little. I wear Shoei motorcycle helmets, and for instance I can't wear Aria, their head shape they mold for just isn't close to mine. But I will probably spend up to $200, as others have pointed out, you only have one brain lol. Never understood cheaping out on things like helmets, infant car seats or protective riding gear.
Old 06-12-23, 12:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
staehpj1 with a bunch if head injuries take helmets seriously! What I call loose brain syndrome is real. I have it. I can crash with no head contact at all and get a concussion just from rattling my brain in my skull. And I haven't done this but I could sit down with an NFL lineman and compare notes.

I had a crash in 2011 where I hit the left side of my helmet hard then felt it grinding along the asphalt. I did not lose consciousness (except a momentary "time-out" while my brain or body decided I really didn't not need to witness all the physical stuff that was happening). As soon as I came to a stop I was completely with it. The car that was behind me was exactly where it should have been so no loss of time. No concussion aftereffects at all. But lots of other damage. Seems I flipped over while I was "out", hit the helmet on the other side. Helmet got spun from the first hit (seems the chinstrap wasn't very tight, had knocked my glasses off partway and cut my face high on the cheek. I knew as soon as I got up and walked around that my collarbone and ribs were broken. AN acre of road rash, deep on the left, just skin on the right.

Two weeks later I read about MIPS. I'd just seen my helmet spin while grinding along the road at 20+ mph. I was sold. Took most of a year to find a MIPS helmet in my size and in a bright color. The POC mountain bike helmet. Visored so perfect for my mirror. Expensive. Noticeably heavier than the medium priced Bells I'd been riding. But very comfortable. A "I forget it's on" helmet, even in the heat. I am now on to my second, again a POS MTB helmet. Better all around. But that first was the best I've ever owned by a lot and held up very well. (About 7 years - COVID hit at 5 and I was trying to stay out of establishments. Helmets I gotta try on; no mail order there for me.)
Old 06-12-23, 02:29 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I've become a fan of the VA Tech Helmet Ratings.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

To me this shows you can purchase an affordable helmet in which is rated as highly, many cases higher, than the more expensive helmets when it comes to crash protection.

I had a Bell Spark helmet. After wiping out on a trail last year, and lightly contacting a tree with the top of the helmet (heh, it stopped me from sliding down a ditch). Found that some helmets just aren't so great. The dent on top of the helmet and a very tender top of head for over a week, made me consider better helmets.

I bought the Specialized Tactic, very comfortable helmet. Plus 2 weeks after getting it, I wiped out again. Other than few scratches on helmet, few cracked ribs on rider, my head was good!

IT also helped that I changed tires to something more grippy. No accidents yet this year! Woohoo!

Liking my Conti's better than the Rekon's.

Last edited by travbikeman; 06-12-23 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-13-23, 07:50 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I'd be curious on others thoughts on how much value they placed on the higher end models given that they are several times the cost of ones that meet the same standards. Thoughts?
You only have one head. Why go cheap?
Likes For prj71: