Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a rigid frame for my ATB build

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 11:59 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Hi everyone,
I recently decided to go a weird direction with my karate monkey and it turns out I like it. However the bars I've slapped on there have created a situation where I've managed to validate replacing my medium Karate Monkey frame with something larger, possibly a large Karate Monkey. I like the bars so much that they've taken the central point of the build. I've attached a picture of my current set up rather than trying to explain what I'm looking to do. Some frames on my radar are:
Karate Monkey
Lowside
Kona Unit.
It would be easy to just grab a large KM but I'm wondering if perhaps some tweaked geometries or something with lighter tubing might suit me better. I'm out of my element, Donny. Teach me some lessons, please!

What else should I be looking at thats a fully rigid MTB?
Old 08-29-23, 07:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
90's Diamondback Axis has worked well for me.
Old 08-29-23, 08:35 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Velo Orange Piolet, steel with some modern touches.
Old 08-29-23, 06:56 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
Hi everyone,
I recently decided to go a weird direction with my karate monkey and it turns out I like it. However the bars I've slapped on there have created a situation where I've managed to validate replacing my medium Karate Monkey frame with something larger, possibly a large Karate Monkey. I like the bars so much that they've taken the central point of the build. I've attached a picture of my current set up rather than trying to explain what I'm looking to do. Some frames on my radar are:
Karate Monkey
Lowside
Kona Unit.
It would be easy to just grab a large KM but I'm wondering if perhaps some tweaked geometries or something with lighter tubing might suit me better. I'm out of my element, Donny. Teach me some lessons, please!

What else should I be looking at thats a fully rigid MTB?

I also have a medium KM and plan to move to a large Bridge Club. Since it came out, the Bridge Club just ticks all the boxes for me.
Old 08-29-23, 07:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
There are plenty of terrific Cannondale rigid MTB's on Craigslist almost everywhere. If you're not fixated on steel, check around.
Old 08-29-23, 10:36 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Considering what bikes you are looking at, I'm assuming you want something more modern? If you are looking at vintage, as others have mentioned, buying a used 26" rigid mountain bike is the way to go.

As for modern, are you only looking at bikes that are sold with a matching rigid fork? I ended up picking up a used Ritchey Ultra and threw a bird fork on it (the fork is no longer sold). There are a number of used bikes for sale now that you could potentially do this too.

Last edited by katsup; 08-29-23 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 07:12 AM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by corwin1968
I also have a medium KM and plan to move to a large Bridge Club. Since it came out, the Bridge Club just ticks all the boxes for me.
The BC checks alot of boxes for me too but I'm concerned about the tubing being too stout. I don't plan to ever through more than a handlebar bag on it. Still, I seem to circle back to this bike often.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
There are plenty of terrific Cannondale rigid MTB's on Craigslist almost everywhere. If you're not fixated on steel, check around.
Great suggestion, however I'm pretty set on steel for this.

Originally Posted by katsup
Considering what bikes you are looking at, I'm assuming you want something more modern? If you are looking at vintage, as others have mentioned, buying a used 26" rigid mountain bike is the way to go.

Looking to stick to modern so I can swap the parts over from my Karate Monkey, not that their particularly fancy I just want to keep this simple.

As for modern, are you only looking at bikes that are sold with a matching rigid fork? I ended up picking up a used Ritchey Ultra and threw a bird fork on it (the fork is no longer sold). There are a number of used bikes for sale now that you could potentially do this too.

and now I'm drooling on my key board!

Originally Posted by 2old
90's Diamondback Axis has worked well for me.
Thats a great looking ATB, I'm trying to keep costs down by moving the parts from my KM onto another frame which pretty much puts me in the modern steel category.

I've been through enough builds to know that if I go through this route I'll just end up on a 3k retro build...which actually sounds awesome. Oh no...

Last edited by Wspsux; 08-30-23 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For Wspsux:
Old 08-30-23, 07:16 AM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Velo Orange Piolet, steel with some modern touches.
I love the Piolet. However I require a pretty long reach and the Piolet doesnt offer that. If the geo on the Piolet worked for me I'd already have it!
Old 08-30-23, 02:26 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
The BC checks alot of boxes for me too but I'm concerned about the tubing being too stout. I don't plan to ever through more than a handlebar bag on it. Still, I seem to circle back to this bike often.

That's a valid concern. I'm currently riding a Rivendell Hunqapillar and given that Rivendell road bikes are considered by many to be stout, I'm sure their off-road touring bike is probably truly bombproof. Based on a communication with Surly many years ago, I'm sure my KM is less stout than a Bridgeclub, but I don't like the size and to be honest, I think it's ugly
Old 08-31-23, 12:15 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Here are my three full rigid ATB:
1995 Scapin

1998 Kona Kilaeua

1992 Merida Albon