Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New to me Schwinn Al Comp

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to me Schwinn Al Comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I'd appreciate it if you two would stop having an enjoyable and fulfilling experience with inexpensive bicycles.

You're triggering the Misery Brigade (tm) and hurting their fee-fees.

So would you kindly go out and purchase a $5000 bike so you can be a REAL Cyclist, that would be grand.
(and don't forget to advertise with you clothing)

((the nerve of some people))
Did anyone say anything about buying a $5000 bike or anything about clothing? This is a mountain biking thread and the Wally-Mart bikes are clear on their labels NOT FOR OFF-ROAD RIDING...however the current discussion was about a very cheap fork sold by Billionaire Jeff Bezos and how it has nothing to do with Fox or Manitou and that seems to have flown well over your head as it has with the other posters.

I am not miserable at all in fact I have a nice mountain biking trip planned a couple weeks from now and am quite excited. I come on here for fun and talk about bikes and have discussions on bikes and parts and such. It seems you are the miserable one because you have to whine and complain anytime someone speaks truths about cheap bikes and components.
Old 11-08-23, 08:17 PM
Wireman134

Bikes: 81' Schwinn Sports Tour, 95' Mongoose Threashold MTB, 23' Schwinn Taff Comp build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Well...There's good bikes and the junk above that's not even remotely trail worthy.
My ass.
Hurts more than you insults… childish insults. Grow up son.

Last edited by Wireman134; 11-09-23 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For Wireman134:
Old 11-09-23, 03:06 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Wireman134
My ass.
Hurts more than you insults… childish insults. Grow up son.
Facts are not insults.
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-23-24, 08:54 AM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Bikes: Schwinn DSB , Raleigh Mojave

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Still having a good time here

Installed some riser handlebars, I havent done too much riding as I went back to work, and been staying pretty busy on my days off. It seems as though every day Im off we have had torrential rains, or theres been something planned with the family. So far I'm into this bike for roughly $200 if you deduct what I sold the other 2 BSO's for. Thats with all new wheelset ,tires,tubes cassette,chain,handlebars, stem, grips, and a new bottom bracket. Next up will be a drivetrain ,and fork upgrades. I'm still having fun.

BTW, I love coming here and poking a stick into the hornets nest, and sticking around to see the aftermath. Its fulfilling going to have to buy a new spoon as this one's getting worn out from all of the stirring, gonna go see if Amazon has any daily specials on spoons.

Last edited by Hank McMauser; 01-23-24 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For Hank McMauser:
Old 01-23-24, 10:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
You might look at Microshift for a drivetrain. I purchased a 1X (8-speed, 10-48 AIR) with derailleur and shifter for $71 or so (Universal Cycles) and it was easy to set up and functions perfectly on my circa 90's rigid Diamondback Axis.
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-23-24, 11:10 AM
Wireman134

Bikes: 81' Schwinn Sports Tour, 95' Mongoose Threashold MTB, 23' Schwinn Taff Comp build

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
You might look at Microshift for a drive train. I purchased a 1X (8-speed, 10-48 AIR) with derailleur and shifter for $71 or so (Universal Cycles) and it was easy to set up and functions perfectly on my circa 90's rigid Diamondback Axis.
Micro Shift Acolyte has same pull ratio as Advent and Deor 9-11 speeds. I run Acolyte with Advent X shifter and cassette
365 Cycle and Universal Cycle compete for the same business in Pa. Two of the best to patronize IMO

Last edited by Wireman134; 01-28-24 at 04:55 PM.
Likes For Wireman134:
Old 01-23-24, 02:22 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank McMauser
Installed some riser handlebars, I havent done too much riding as I went back to work, and been staying pretty busy on my days off. It seems as though every day Im off we have had torrential rains, or theres been something planned with the family. So far I'm into this bike for roughly $200 if you deduct what I sold the other 2 BSO's for. Thats with all new wheelset ,tires,tubes cassette,chain,handlebars, stem, grips, and a new bottom bracket. Next up will be a drivetrain ,and fork upgrades. I'm still having fun.

BTW, I love coming here and poking a stick into the hornets nest, and sticking around to see the aftermath. Its fulfilling going to have to buy a new spoon as this one's getting worn out from all of the stirring, gonna go see if Amazon has any daily specials on spoons.
Hornets nests typically do get stirred during winter months. Always leads to an interesting read.

Anyhow, I used to have those Wheelmaster/Weinman wheels until I sold the bike I bought those for. Their good wheels. After about a year, maybe 2, you will need to repack the wheel bearings with fresh grease. I did that and wow, was there a difference on how much better they ride.

If interested, check out KevCentral if you have not yet. He made a lot of modifications to his AL Comp and regularly uses it on his local trails. Looks like a great bike for potential upgrades if you ever wanted to.

Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-27-24, 11:43 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Hornets nests typically do get stirred during winter months. Always leads to an interesting read.

Anyhow, I used to have those Wheelmaster/Weinman wheels until I sold the bike I bought those for. Their good wheels. After about a year, maybe 2, you will need to repack the wheel bearings with fresh grease. I did that and wow, was there a difference on how much better they ride.

If interested, check out KevCentral if you have not yet. He made a lot of modifications to his AL Comp and regularly uses it on his local trails. Looks like a great bike for potential upgrades if you ever wanted to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUkDeZFx5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dGx2-xuPY
I have watched quite a few of his videos, amd Wolftick Nation as well, and a few others.
I really like this bike, and for what my initial cost was it has been really fun upgrading it as I go. I'm still into it for less than it costs new at Wall daddy's I did a 10 mile trail ride last week on my day off to the state forest. Believe it or not I had lots of fun, and didn't once wish I was on a more expensive bicycle. Well unless you count me wishing the stock fork wasn't a boat anchor.
Likes For Hank McMauser:
Old 01-28-24, 11:00 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank McMauser
I have watched quite a few of his videos, amd Wolftick Nation as well, and a few others.

I really like this bike, and for what my initial cost was it has been really fun upgrading it as I go. I'm still into it for less than it costs new at Wall daddy's I did a 10 mile trail ride last week on my day off to the state forest. Believe it or not I had lots of fun, and didn't once wish I was on a more expensive bicycle. Well unless you count me wishing the stock fork wasn't a boat anchor.

I noticed you had installed a Balony (Bucklos) fork on your red Schwinn. A few years ago, when searching for forks for my hardtail rebuild (Scott Aspect), I looked at these forks. There were people whom stated they were great and of course reviewers whom stated they broke quickly. I believe it really depends on where and how you ride on the longevity of this fork. If you don't have the money for a step up to a name brand, and this meets your needs, then it doesn't matter what others state, get it.

I had chose to wait it out for good deals, surprisingly yes during the pandemic. I found a discounted RockShox Recon and felt more comfortable with that shock instead.

If you are interested in searching for good deals, Check out other shocks like Suntour Raidon, Epixon. Suntour has a winter sale going on right now.

Another good affordable fork, and I'm sure others will cringe, but XFusion isn't a bad brand. The Trace 34 can be found for a decent deal.

Of course if you are patient and look for good winter deals, you may find Rockshocks, Marzocchi's air forks under $250.

The price that I consider for an affordable fork that doesn't break the bank and provides a decent ride is typically between $200 to $250. Once you start going north of $300, you start looking at forks that are meant for specific riding, where as it's racing or something that keeps it's composure while handling rock gardens and sharp cornering. But again, this depends on your needs and affordability. I find the Marzocchi that came on my Giant Trance works well with the lighter rock gardens that I go through. It's more expensive, but it meets my needs.

My son needed something to help him ride on the bike team he is on. So he purchased a Fox 36 (don't remember which one) that was on a really good sale for $480. It was needed for him, since he would have destroyed the Marzocchi with the way he jumps that bike and rides.

There are a ton of video's on youtube as you may have realized explaining all of this. Hope this helps.

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-28-24 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-28-24, 11:05 AM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

It wasn't me that posted having the red bike, mines the later silver fade to black , but I will be upgrading this boat anchor front fork hopefully before summer is over with , here in the Florida Panhandle our good riding season is the fall,winter,and spring. In summer it's unbearably hot for an old fat guy like me.
Likes For Hank McMauser: