Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know this bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does anybody know this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 10:54 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
French or Italian manufacturer. The surest way to tell is the bb threading. Most French companies put the serial on the rear dropouts, this has a partial number visible on the bb shell. French stem quills were mostly 22.0 mm, vs 22.2 for most other makes. There was an Italian company named Torpado. Perhaps this was made by them and sold for others (a very common practice for most manufacturers).

Numerous parts replaced since mfd. The bike looks like 1960s, the Huret Challenger derailleur is a 1970s design. Pretty unlikely an Italian bike would have a French derailleur oem. Looks like a partial repaint to hid the weld repair and other chips.

Yeah, worn out low end bike. Yard art or recycle. Repair/restoration would run far more than makes sense and the ride quality would be lousy to actually dangerous with that weld. And those brakes, stay off any hills.
Old 01-22-24, 12:58 AM
baldyphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
So do we reckon this is better off going to scrap?
Likes For baldyphill:
Old 01-22-24, 05:15 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Intent was to validate and justify your identification of OP's bike as a "Tornado" with pic in this thread from OP's Gallery.
Ah. I'm not as sharp as I once was but I'm still....
What were we talking about?
Old 01-22-24, 06:26 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.

Old 01-24-24, 04:28 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
The lugs used on this frame are Haden 'Speed' series (H801) along with the 'Oval Sports' (HCN.8) fork crown, which essentially eliminates Japan, France and Italy as source countries.

"Tornado" on this bike (and the one posted by Murray Missile) is a model name, rather than a make. In this case Elswick Hopper 'Tornado'.

This is from their 1976-77 catalog:

Tornado appears about mid-level in that catalog, which isn't saying much considering that not one model has the tubing stated, and only the top model (Mistral) came with a 10 speed Huret Svelto drivetrain (the rest were all 5-speed).
Adding to this the current condition of the frame and the repair(s) already done, investing any effort into this bike wouldn't be advisable, unless there was a very high sentimental value attached.
Old 01-24-24, 05:54 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Awesome detective work, the only Tornado I found was Holdsworth Tornado (1951-1955) which seemed unlikey.
Old 01-24-24, 08:09 AM
baldyphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for your help. As expected it’s pretty much junk, just had me curious that’s all👍
Likes For baldyphill:
Old 01-24-24, 12:15 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by baldyphill
Thank you all for your help. As expected it’s pretty much junk, just had me curious that’s all👍
Thanks for posting it, we love a good challenge. Sorry it wasn't a diamond in the rough but we all had fun trying to figure out what it was.
Old 01-24-24, 01:51 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Probably belongs in the bicycle humor thread but also fits here: Once answered a no pic ad for a "Claud Butler Touring" and found a BSO resembling subject this thread. Told seller was not a Claud Butler + worthless in current condition. Didn't believe me until I pointed out its "Foremost by JC Penney" head badge! Asked him why he thought it was a Claud Butler? He had googled
"English Touring Bicycle", saw same color Claud Butler, saw resembled etc, etc.......Don
Old 01-24-24, 02:06 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by baldyphill
Might be able to turn it into passable windchimes.
Old 01-28-24, 08:26 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
bar stool.

The red one in the middle has a story. A friend called and said she had two bikes to get rid of. I told her to drop them off at my house. She came over with 1 and said she didn't want the hassle of stuffing two bikes in her car and would bring the other bike sometime. A couple days later I got home from work and found a red Huffy mountain bike at my place. It was pretty much trashed so I cut it apart and made it into a bar stool the same day. A couple days later I found a note from another acquaintance on my door asking if the red Huffy mtb was repaired.

I have a similar bar/shop stool in my work shop. Its very handy when working on bikes so I don't strain my back.

I have a few top/down/seat tubes in my work shop to use as cheater bars. Raleigh, Schwinn, Trek. Sure beats straining muscles or bashing things with a bfh.

Another frame project using a rear triangle, seat post, seat post clamp, a rim, some 1/4" rod and recycled pallet boards.

Old 01-29-24, 01:05 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
The value on that bike would mostly be sentimental. Especially because of its quite poor condition. It's not totally crap but it's towards the lower end when it comes to classic bicycles. Try to clean it up and see if there's a big improvement in the way it looks. Then you can better decide what's best to do with it.
Old 01-30-24, 08:36 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
I'm sure there are some that will disagree -- there always are -- but that bike has crossed the barrier between here and the hereafter. Its Earthly struggles (and a bike like this struggled from new) have ended and it is ready for the GRB (Great Recycling Bin). Let it go in peace.
Set yourself free... Toss it in the dumpster and move on. It's given all it had to give.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron