Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Anyone ID this frame?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Anyone ID this frame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 01:57 PM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Anyone ID this frame?

trying to research this frame since coming into possession of it. went down the obvious FUNK path first, but much uncertainty about it. have had a couple of brief emails with Daryl Funk, but haven't figured anything out. their website indicates they made a switch from aluminum (which this appears to be) to titanium in about 2001. the site mentions that they made about 100 handmade aluminum frames/month in the 1990's. this could be one of them, nobody knows. the decals are professionally installed. i don't know if the head badge decal is something they used back then.

if it isn't a FUNK, what is it? homemade? don't see any serial numbers. no other markings.

Last edited by rwh63; 06-27-23 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-27-23, 02:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
It is a cool frame but I might suggest asking the mods to consolidate your 3+ threads on it make it easier to get info on it.

I have no info on Funk cycles but I would either just build it up and enjoy it or leave it and sell it.
Old 06-27-23, 02:30 PM
rwh63

Thx for the message. I’m trying different approaches to get someone’s attention who may know something.
not much to consolidate, with so few replies! A more general question may attract frame builders who can chime in.

in terms of selling it, determining its pedigree would be useful, hence my outreach to Funk Cycles. Not sure about it’s future with me, but gathering as much info on it as possible would be good.
Old 06-27-23, 03:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by rwh63
Thx for the message. I’m trying different approaches to get someone’s attention who may know something.
not much to consolidate, with so few replies! A more general question may attract frame builders who can chime in.

in terms of selling it, determining its pedigree would be useful, hence my outreach to Funk Cycles. Not sure about it’s future with me, but gathering as much info on it as possible would be good.
Then use your existing threads. make it easy. If people aren't responding it is probably because they don't have info or aren't keen to re-post in another thread about the same topic from the same poster. However consolidation and maybe a move to a more active part of the forums might help you out.

If you do sell it those who know what it is will want it and those who don't know won't care as much and will just see a cool frame and so long as you post good information that you do have on what it comes with and measurements they will be interested as well. It is probably an aluminum frame which isn't bad but it doesn't particularly look like titanium. If you decide to keep it you can have plenty of fun with it as well.
Old 06-27-23, 03:39 PM
rwh63

Yeah, I wanted to attract general attention, rather than FUNK specific. I think because FUNK is such a boutique maker (at least us seems to be now, maybe not during the aluminum years), some contributors are walking by the thread because they know nothing about FUNK. This way, someone might contribute insight just out if curiosity.

I don’t like creating repeat threads. Trying to draw in more eyes. If mods want to consolidate, they will.

pretty sure it is aluminum as well. FUNK started out with that material.
Old 06-27-23, 04:49 PM
rwh63

Repost deleted
Likes For rwh63:
Old 06-27-23, 05:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yeah, I wanted to attract general attention, rather than FUNK specific. I think because FUNK is such a boutique maker (at least us seems to be now, maybe not during the aluminum years), some contributors are walking by the thread because they know nothing about FUNK. This way, someone might contribute insight just out if curiosity.

I don’t like creating repeat threads. Trying to draw in more eyes. If mods want to consolidate, they will.

pretty sure it is aluminum as well. FUNK started out with that material.
It's a Funk-y brand

I think the main issue is this sub-forum is not super active and maybe not as slightly vintage focus. General got plenty of stuff for you the other thread. Framebuilders might know a bit more as well.
Old 06-28-23, 10:42 AM
Extremeengineer

Bikes: 22 Kona Hei Hei CR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
As you have been unable to get much info from the supposed manufacturer themselves, and this even in its heyday would been as far to the niche end as possible, I agree with others that at some point you'll have to accept what you have and stop making new threads. If your intent is to sell, then you start it at your shipping cost plus $10 on eBay, where you would have a much broader range of people looking at your listing than you have looking at this thread in a very lightly trafficked sub-forum. You have nothing into the bike right? So whatever you get after shipping is gravy. From the repeat threads it seems you were hoping you had found some diamond in the trash, but as with most trash, you found some trash, and it may have some value to someone, but increasingly it looks like you need to just make it up into a cool trash story bike to ride occasionally, or flip it for the few bucks you can get for it, but provenance on trash is like lipstick on a pig, sorry to burst your bubble.

Or alternately, quite funkin' makin new threads, there is no funkin' way this thing is worth what you had hoped, so just take what you can funkin' get and let it funkin' go.

All meant in good humor
Old 07-02-23, 01:20 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
did you try to contact the brand per email or per phone to get more detail on the frame ?
Old 07-02-23, 06:30 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Pretty sure that's a Marin #3 hanger
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 07-03-23, 05:47 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Is that rear triangle asymmetrical or just bent a few different ways?
Old 07-07-23, 03:41 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by Extremeengineer
As you have been unable to get much info from the supposed manufacturer themselves, and this even in its heyday would been as far to the niche end as possible, I agree with others that at some point you'll have to accept what you have and stop making new threads. If your intent is to sell, then you start it at your shipping cost plus $10 on eBay, where you would have a much broader range of people looking at your listing than you have looking at this thread in a very lightly trafficked sub-forum. You have nothing into the bike right? So whatever you get after shipping is gravy. From the repeat threads it seems you were hoping you had found some diamond in the trash, but as with most trash, you found some trash, and it may have some value to someone, but increasingly it looks like you need to just make it up into a cool trash story bike to ride occasionally, or flip it for the few bucks you can get for it, but provenance on trash is like lipstick on a pig, sorry to burst your bubble.

Or alternately, quite funkin' makin new threads, there is no funkin' way this thing is worth what you had hoped, so just take what you can funkin' get and let it funkin' go.

All meant in good humor
taxable gravy! but you are incorrect in thinking i feel this is a goldmine. i just want to find out as much as possible about it. if selling, that would aide in informing the buying public. the brand is a niche player, so i expected difficulty in gathering info. very little online. even their facebook site is several years out of current.
Old 07-07-23, 03:45 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by georges1
did you try to contact the brand per email or per phone to get more detail on the frame ?
i did. very small outfit. actually briefly communicated with the brand owner/originator. he could not give me a definitive answer. they did a lot of custom work in Aluminum back in the earlier years.
Old 07-07-23, 04:06 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Is that rear triangle asymmetrical or just bent a few different ways?
asymmetrical, as in both sides match in their bends.
Old 07-07-23, 04:08 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Pretty sure that's a Marin #3 hanger
thx! First concrete comment. You may be right.

Old 07-07-23, 04:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
asymmetrical, as in both sides match in their bends.
If both sides match, that would be symmetrical. Asymmetrical is not matching.
Old 07-09-23, 04:49 PM
rwh63

Top of seat post to mid crank is 48.5 cm
Old 08-29-23, 06:27 AM
rwh63

data point update: have a commitment to purchase this bike as-is for $900 plus international shipping. i'm happy it will find an enthusiastic new owner.
Old 09-06-23, 07:12 AM
rwh63

on its way to the UK!
Old 09-06-23, 02:17 PM
eshew

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
It's an odd one for sure, definitely cool and Funk-esque

Although the cutouts on the chain stay do look rather Funk GS-ish.
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...itting.246634/

I would guess it's a late 90's perhaps 2000-2001 GS or relative of a GS.

Last edited by eshew; 09-06-23 at 02:42 PM.