Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Dual Drive hub (date? and parts?)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 01:19 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts

SRAM Dual Drive hub

has 100 703 stamped on the hub flange. Is this a production date?

Looking for a rubber grip replacement

Broken planet cage
1 big crack, 2 hair line cracks.
Old 12-14-23, 10:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
I first came across these hubs on the early 1990s Bike Fridays. With their small wheel size and unique frame design ft shifting seemed to be not done and the dual drive was used instead to get the gearing range.

IIRC these hubs had a low gearing restriction of nasty internal issues could happen. I wonder if that's what led this hub to crack inside. Andy
Old 12-14-23, 05:48 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Fwiw, the SDD IGH will shift perfectly fine with an Shimano MTB 3x front derailleur shifter.
Old 12-14-23, 07:50 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I first came across these hubs on the early 1990s Bike Fridays. With their small wheel size and unique frame design ft shifting seemed to be not done and the dual drive was used instead to get the gearing range.

IIRC these hubs had a low gearing restriction of nasty internal issues could happen. I wonder if that's what led this hub to crack inside. Andy
This hub was on a Cannondale Adventure 1000. 700c urban hybrid. A 2004 according to the catalogs. The only year I could find that came with this hub.
One of the springs was missing for the pawls that are inside the broken planet gear carrier/cage. I suspect this made the driver only engage with 1 pawl and the crooked pressure lead to the failure. 1 big fissure and 2 hair line cracks. There was no trace of missing spring in the hub. No sign the hub had been apart before and definitely in need of lube. Probably never lubed since it left the factory.

The stock gears on the Cannondale are pretty low, perhaps a 32t single sprocket and a 30ish rear. Close to a 1:1 ratio.

I've taken 100+ Sturmey Archer and Shimano hubs apart. This is the first SRAM I've dismantled and it was pretty easy to work on and well made. No ball ring to unscrew. Just remove the cassette and axle lock nuts and it's all comes out. Too bad there are no parts available. Well made but as far as durability goes I can't tell, just haven't much experience with them. A couple down sides are the rubber grips that melted and the lack of lube options. They need to be dismantled for cleaning & lube and this was way over due after 20 years. Makes the old Sturmey Archer hubs the gold standard for IGH.

I will be replacing the rear hub with a normal 135 old 32h 9 speed cassette hub to get the bike back on the road.

broken planet gear cage
Old 12-14-23, 09:38 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
You may be able to get spare parts from Green Gear, the Bike Friday people. I believe they took over the spare parts supply when Sachs/SRAM moved out of the U.S.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..