Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Cycles Pros in Pleasanton...gone..?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 08:23 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Windows are masked up, the locals speculate they have gone under. Local at the bank says Mike's Bikes off of Bernal killed them. I suppose they may be doing a major renovation or moving, but the shop looks like it's history driving by.

That's 2 out of 3 for Main Street.
Old 06-21-13, 10:58 AM
ericm979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mike bikes killed one of the local shops in Los Gatos too.
Old 06-21-13, 11:05 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
I'm surprised Mike's hasn't killed off Performance in Walnut Creek - I really don't like Performance.

But one of the best mechanics at Encina bikes broke away to start his own store - that's kind of neat.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Now-Open-AG1.gif (11.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-21-13, 12:08 PM
gw_12

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, Cycle Pros sent out an email to their mailing list a couple of weeks ago saying they were closing up the brick and mortar side of the business. Sort of hinted that he might continue to pursue something on the online side of bicycle retail business, and maybe bike repair, but there weren't any details.
Old 06-21-13, 03:19 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I'm surprised Mike's hasn't killed off Performance in Walnut Creek - I really don't like Performance.

But one of the best mechanics at Encina bikes broke away to start his own store - that's kind of neat.
I've been to only one Mikes Bikes - the one in Walnut Creek, and definitely came away with a bad taste of snobbery (what-noob-questions-are-you-sure-you-can-afford-a-bike feel) - never felt that at the Performance near my house. Maybe that is why Performance is still in business - it is definitely more approachable for new cyclists than most LBSes.
Old 06-21-13, 05:15 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
I've been to only one Mikes Bikes - the one in Walnut Creek, and definitely came away with a bad taste of snobbery (what-noob-questions-are-you-sure-you-can-afford-a-bike feel) - never felt that at the Performance near my house. Maybe that is why Performance is still in business - it is definitely more approachable for new cyclists than most LBSes.

They're definitely total opposites - and they're only about 6 blocks away from each other in Walnut Creek. But the Performance shop hires people who don't know anything about bikes as salespeople - I've heard them giving wrong advice about things that were compatible with each other that aren't for example (easy stuff). Once I asked the cashier if they had any sew up glue and he said I should ask the mechanics in the back. The mechanic came up to the cashier's stand and it was in a display box right behind the cashier. Then the cashier looked at the tube like it was Martian toothpaste or something. Mike's is pricey and high pressure but at least they know their stuff.
Old 06-21-13, 05:57 PM
gw_12

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell, I'd look at sew-up glue like it was Martian toothpaste too.
Old 06-21-13, 11:01 PM
lhorn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's unfortunate. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like business as usual. No sense that they were in trouble. I was pretty exited about Mike's Bikes when they opened. Based on their website, they looked like they have nice stuff. Nice bikes for sure but as mentioned there's a bit of a snobbish feeling in there. For accessories I'll go to performance (for tires, tubes, patches etc) or online.
Old 06-22-13, 09:12 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Tricia and I have been to Mike's W.C. a few times and didn't get the snob treatment at all. They were very helpful in fact.
Tricia bought her Ruby at Berkeley Mike's (before there was a WC store) and they were great.
YMMV
Old 06-22-13, 10:36 AM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Tricia and I have been to Mike's W.C. a few times and didn't get the snob treatment at all. They were very helpful in fact.
Tricia bought her Ruby at Berkeley Mike's (before there was a WC store) and they were great.
YMMV
I've done some business with the WC Mike's as well. Their staff seemed friendly, helpful and knowledgeable enough to me. No it's not like Velo Sport used to be up in Chico in the 80's, but then neither is the rest of the industry.