Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Reason to Not Buy Carbon Wheels?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 07:17 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Last weekend I was riding with my wife and boys at the local park. My six year old wasn't paying attention when I slowed and ran into my bike. He bent my wheel slightly. I adjusted the spokes to get it back to nearly straight again.

I was thinking about that wheel, and how I have been considering an upgrade to a set of Ebay carbon wheels.

I wonder how a carbon wheel would have fared against a kid and his bicycle?
Old 04-10-17, 07:46 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Using those parameters, a collision with a child's bicycle could also damage a carbon wheel --

I'd say collision protection is not a viable reason to upgrade, but carbon wheels look good and can be made with deeper aero profiles with less weight penalty of aluminum, they are stiffer as well in general,
Old 04-10-17, 07:58 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
When I rode with my grand kids I used an expendable bike. Riding with 4 to 9 year old's is a challenge. First I switched back to old fashioned toe clips, then I removed the toe clips and used ordinary pedals. Also lowered the seat post a lot.
Old 04-10-17, 07:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The question isn't whether the possibility of unpredictable damage is a good reason not to buy carbon rims. After all, something unusual could happen at any time to anything or anybody.

The question is, Why do you want carbon rims?
Old 04-10-17, 08:01 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
Last weekend I was riding with my wife and boys at the local park. My six year old wasn't paying attention when I slowed and ran into my bike. He bent my wheel slightly. I adjusted the spokes to get it back to nearly straight again.

I was thinking about that wheel, and how I have been considering an upgrade to a set of Ebay carbon wheels.

I wonder how a carbon wheel would have fared against a kid and his bicycle?
take it out of his allowance and give him better training on riding in a pace line.
Old 04-10-17, 09:12 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
take it out of his allowance and give him better training on riding in a pace line.
Always happens when there is a wheel sucker in line!

Some wheels use a carbon fairing which probably would have broken anyway. Also, some eBay wheels might not be built very well especially if they were from asia and might not be very durable.

An accident is unpredictable and there is no telling what may happen. At least a traditional wheel may be straightened.
Old 04-10-17, 09:18 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@Maelochs, I've been getting the itch to either upgrade my bike or buy some nicer parts for it. I've been checking out some of the carbon wheels on Ebay.

But this recent experience, and some of the comments, makes me think that I should just leave my bike as is until the kids get bigger. Then I can upgrade without worrying about the danger of breaking expensive parts.
Old 04-10-17, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
But this recent experience, and some of the comments, makes me think that I should just leave my bike as is until the kids get bigger. Then I can upgrade without worrying about the danger of breaking expensive parts.
Because bigger kids cannot run into you?
Old 04-10-17, 09:27 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A (very lightweight) friend of mine rode his bike across a wooden bridge with metal grating during a group ride and somehow it knocked chunks out of his front and rear Bontrager (Aeleus 5 maybe?) carbon wheels. Didn't happen to anyone else (w/AL wheels) that crossed the bridge on the ride, by the way.

The front one was cosmetic, the rear had some significant damage that made it unsafe to ride. Fortunately Trek warranted them somehow (he worked for a dealer) and he was not out the $1100 to replace the wheel. I'm fairly sure had he not worked for the dealer, it would have been out of pocket. So now, we try to pick different routes for group rides that he's on in the hopes of not damaging his wheels.

That was enough for me to know I'll never ride carbon wheels.
Old 04-10-17, 09:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
The CF rims are going to be stiffer, and less likely that your kid bumping the wheel would have knocked it out of true in the first place.

Also " I adjusted the spokes to get it back nearly straight again" is a bit concerning.

The wheel shouldn't be nearly straight, it should be straight, (true, and round) with the spokes evenly tensioned. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience truing wheels. I'd take the wheel to a shop and ask them true it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-10-17, 09:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd sell one of the kids to fund a wheel upgrade, if it was me.
Old 04-10-17, 10:30 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, from what I've seen with my boys, they tend to pay much more attention when they get older. The six year old ran into me. The 11 and 13 year haven't done that in years.

@merlinextraligh, I agree with you about the wheels. I adjusted the spokes to get it as true as I could (after watching some youtube videos on the subject), but at the same time I'm concerned about the fact that the wheel isn't truly "stress-free" now since some spokes are in tension, trying to hold it straight. I'll take it in this summer sometime.
Old 04-10-17, 10:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The question is, Why do you want carbon rims?

Especially when just putting along with little kids.

Heck, get a cheap beach cruiser for your kiddie rides... and then go all out on "upgrading" the fancy bike if it makes you happy.
Old 04-10-17, 10:40 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
If CF rims hold up to MTBing, my guess is that they are tough enough to withstand whatever any other rim is subjected to. But, 16 pages from now nobody will remember what the argument is about. ��
Old 04-10-17, 11:01 AM
highrpm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, from what I've seen with my boys, they tend to pay much more attention when they get older. The six year old ran into me. The 11 and 13 year haven't done that in years.

@merlinextraligh, I agree with you about the wheels. I adjusted the spokes to get it as true as I could (after watching some youtube videos on the subject), but at the same time I'm concerned about the fact that the wheel isn't truly "stress-free" now since some spokes are in tension, trying to hold it straight. I'll take it in this summer sometime.
Old 04-10-17, 11:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
The CF rims can be made light, strong, durable, aero, etc.

Usually a compromise is chosen. MTB or Cross wheels for some, road wheels for others.

The rim surface to the road (cushioned with a tire) is tough. But, the problem with an accident is that it can introduce unintended stresses, so all bets are off.
Old 04-10-17, 11:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Okay. As I understand it you want CF rims because ... CF rims. Stiffer, lighter, won't stop in the wet ...

But you also want to survive your daily kiddy-rides. Git it.

I second the beach-cruiser idea. Go on Craigslist and get the cheapest rolling bike you can find. For touring the neighborhood with the kids in tow it really won't matter. Get an old rigid mountain bike with flat pedals and practice track stands and nose wheelies .... if your kids won't try to copy you.
Old 04-10-17, 11:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you're always worried about damaging something, you'll never use it.

When you buy a new car, do you avoid driving it when you'll have to part in a lot?

"S" happens, you can be very careful, but you can't control everything around you.
Old 04-10-17, 06:17 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To echo the sentiments of most here... you suffer this dilemma simply because you refuse to embrace the beauty of n+1. Although, a carbon beach cruiser on carbon 72-spoke wheels could be a stretch.
Old 04-10-17, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Cheap wheels are always a bad idea, cheap carbon wheels made by who knows somewhere in Asia possibly doesn't fare any better. If you want to upgrade wheels you can get some nice handbuilt wheels from a competent wheel builder or from someone like Rolf Prima (they build all their wheels by hand (though I guess the hubs come from White Industries...not a bad deal).

However upgrading the bike completely might be the better bet. Find something with nicer components maybe even go to a nicer brand that isn't Trek. Keep that bike as your beater and have a nicer road bike maybe even something with nicer frame material like steel, titanium or if you must crabon fibers.
Old 04-10-17, 08:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'd sell one of the kids to fund a wheel upgrade, if it was me.

Great minds.
Old 04-10-17, 08:44 PM
Jobax

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon

Definitely pro carbon wheels.
Old 04-10-17, 10:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't need a reason not to buy carbon wheels.

-Tim-
Old 04-11-17, 01:36 AM
Tony G

Bikes: Crown Jewel,Serotta ottrott, Serotta CSI and a few more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of carbon clinchers in combination with rim brakes. There are too many long steep descents with hairpins where I ride (so I'm on the brakes a lot) and combine that with summer temps and I'd have nightmares of the tires blowing off after the rim over heated and deformed. BUT if I were to run disks I'd very tempted to buy them. I raced on Lew Composites with tubulars years ago and they were noticeably faster.
Old 04-11-17, 02:25 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A bike ridden around the MUP with the kids doesn't need carbon wheels. Buy another bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.